Contributors to this thread:
JayD 03-Mar-15
sundaynwv 03-Mar-15
JayD 03-Mar-15
Jim Casto Jr 03-Mar-15
David Mitchell 04-Mar-15
babysaph 04-Mar-15
03-Mar-15
Back in November I post a story about a guy I casually know having a buck taken by the DNR because he did not know he needed to kill a doe before killing a second buck. He just posted today that he got his buck back. I also saw recently where Berkeley County has been dropped this year for having to harvest a doe before a 2nd buck. I wonder if that had anything to do with it? I am sort of shocked he is getting the deer back. I felt sorry for him but not knowing the law and getting a reprieve sort of shocks me.

03-Mar-15
Maybe the gentleman paid his fines or went to court and it was dropped.

03-Mar-15
I was talking with him right after it happened - he told me the game warden told him the head would be used for education - that is why I am shocked. It was just ignorance of the law though and no intent so I am assuming that is what happened - I have just heard the opposite from others - so I am happy for the guy - like I said he is a good guy just didn't know the law.

03-Mar-15
I'm glad the fellow got his deer back. We had a lengthy discussion about this very issue back a few months ago.

There's a big difference in a guy who deliberately violates game laws and a guy who simply makes a mistake. Especially, when the law is written in a manner that "could" be viewed as a bit contradictory.

04-Mar-15
You almost have to be a lawyer to understand the regulations. I'm glad he got his buck back. reason and common sense needs to prevail in many cases, but nothing is as uncommon as common sense.

04-Mar-15
I agree Dave. The regs are hard to understand sometimes.

• Sitka Gear