bigbuckbob 13-Mar-15
spike78 13-Mar-15
mikesdad 13-Mar-15
Bloodtrail 13-Mar-15
longbeard 13-Mar-15
BowBen 13-Mar-15
bigbuckbob 14-Mar-15
05-Mar-15
By using 2015 CT DEEP transects for Newtown and Redding, CT; and then comparing those results to the privately-funded FLIR surveys we now have an idea as to what the numbers really look like for deer in surrounding towns.

By taking these "known" values" (baseline data) a reliable estimate can be made for the surrounding towns. For example, using this baseline data a safe estimate of the deer population for Bethel, CT; is likely to be around 170 deer in total with a 10.12 dpsm.

Interested in any input Bethel hunters wish to provide.

05-Mar-15
really? this is getting so old!

05-Mar-15
Jason (jdrdeerslayer)

Why would anyone take multiple does in Redding. Three does over a one-day period in November 2014 seems excessive and certainly does not represent conservation minded sportsmen or good deer management. Pretty irresponsible when taken over bait next to the backyard swing set, considering the low population in Redding and the conditions we are currently experiencing.

05-Mar-15
jr

every time I see someone upset about a thread I have to ask myself - "Why are they reading it?" The easiest fix is to just ignore the ones that upset you, or read them with an open mind.

This is a forum, which means you come on this site to post your thoughts, read the thoughts of others, discuss the points, possibly learn, possibly teach, or all of the above. If you don't agree with a thread state your case, I'd love to hear the other side of the story.

05-Mar-15
really? this is getting so old!

No JD, what's really getting old is your inability to post anything resembling factual counterpoints despite being asked 3 times to do so to support your varying claims of "that's nuts", "this is stupid" or "my buddy at the DEEP says" as counters to the facts on the table.

These facts have mountains of evidence behind them; all one has to do is google Vision Air Research and whitetail deer surveys to find thousands of surveys and hundreds of peer-reviewed publications supporting their work. The US Fish & Game Department, the US Forestry Service, the Department of Defense and other federal agencies do not make a practice of hiring companies whose resumes contain skills such as "I can call anyone who disagrees with me nuts, stupid or retort "that's not what my pal says:". Evidently they set the bar slightly higher than you do.

If middle school retorts are all you can bring to the table on an important topic then I suggest you leave the topic to the adults in the room and revisit it when you've grown up a bit.

If you've got nothing other than your opinion man up and admit it. For the fourth and final time; if you've got facts to counter the ones already posted then put them up.

Put up or shut up.

05-Mar-15
airrow...extrapolating dpsm numbers using your method holds no water IMO. It is nothing more than smoke and mirrors and as has been said about many of the DEEP methods "junk science". Your method does not take into account hunter time and effort, number of hunters, number of deer passed on due to hunters thinking there are no deer left in town, and just like the DEEP flies transects over deer rich areas the hunters could very well be hunting in the same areas they have year after year and there are less deer there or they are in one of the empty pockets due to past harvest or the deer moving on to better habitat. IMO I put as much stock into this method as you put into the DEEP winter flyover transect method.

05-Mar-15
So, what's the bottom line....there are less deer around. So much so that ten years ago it was a blast to go into woods because the anticipation of what might come by your stand gave you hope.

Nowadays I just hope I see a deer. That's the brutal honest truth. I hate sitting in the woods seeing nothing the majority of my sits.

05-Mar-15
Thats exactly it Bloodtrail. Its all about the quality of the hunt and I know everyone is different. I'm not saying I need to see 30 deer on every hunt, but like you I do like to have excitement on my hunts and not just sit there with the hope that something might come in. This is not just in FFld Cty, its all over the state!

05-Mar-15
Shawn - You have many opinions and no facts on the table ! Your " Once upon a time " story telling will not carry the day; only the facts will.

CT DEEP transect # 4 shows a deer density of 35.5 deer for 2015. The transect extends into Bethel only 23.75%, approximately 8.43 deer seen. How does DEEP seeing approximately 8.43 deer equate to Bethel having 596 deer or 35.5 + dpsm according to the CT DEEP; it does not !

In 2014 Bethel harvested 65 deer. Bethel has 16.8 square miles and its` DEEP transect density is lower than Newtown by 11.94%. The Bethel deer harvest to square mile ratio is 3.860.

The CT DEEP states that FC zone 11 has 42 dpsm. Highly unlikely and mathematically impossible !

05-Mar-15
Glen you are assuming an equal distribution across the entire transect...we all know that is a no-no. For all I know they counted 30 deer in that 23.75% area.

An average harvest of 3.86 dpsm is extremely high...if we use your math, hunters shot over 38% of the deer in the town last fall.

05-Mar-15
Shawn, I'm listening to all the info presented.

Keep in mind that we have become extremely proficient killers in the modern day. Bows have gotten more accurate. You can easily shoot 40 yards now. Technology has given us amazing advantages to be killers. Game cameras. Bait piles.

I see no reason that hunters can't kill 1/3 of the population each fall in the given scenario.

Whether the exact numbers are close or not. You can't argue there are less deer and we need to stop shooting does in the future if we want a quality renewable resource.

05-Mar-15
Shawn - " An average harvest of 3.86 dpsm is extremely high...if we use your math, hunters shot over 38% of the deer in the town last fall. "

Shawn, the 3.86 dpsm figure is; harvested deer to Bethel square miles ( 16.8 ) and the DEEP harvest number ( 65 ) for 2014; it is not my number; the number was provided by the CT DEEP. Maybe you should question DEEP about the number ?

Shawn - " For all I know they counted 30 deer in that 23.75% area. " As for transect # 4;...... I live on transect # 4 and know where the deer are; and where is it again you live.........MA ?

05-Mar-15
Anybody have a idea what the dsm was back in the day late70S early 80S? I would stop on the side of the road in Redding to take a piss and jump deer and this is the truth to see 10 to 15 go by at a time was nothing we would see 25 at a time in the fields we hunted in .Just wondering how many deer were around then we didn't have trail cams but we didn't need them .MAYBE 70 DSM ? STEVE

05-Mar-15
rooster, really your gonna attack me for taking 3 deer in redding? those were the only deer I took there. I honestly didn't hunt redding as much as I usually do but I saw deer on every outing. real mature.

mike, same to you...lowering you self to the level that you think I am using " middle school retorts"... really man? do you honestly think that these flir studys are perfect? Have you ever looked through one? I have they are not xray vision they do NOT see through trees. Not only that from what I under stand they flew over at a high rate of speed on these flir flights which would also cause missed deer. but I guess this is all my opinion....as are everyone here comments.

05-Mar-15
Steve - We did several deer population estimate models for Redding, CT and went back 10 + years. The numbers were based on DEEP harvest counts; the figures we came up with showed approximate 35-40 dpsm or 1,100 - 1,260 deer total at that time. This allowed for harvest numbers of approximate 360 deer per year. The remaining population is now approximate ( 234 ); only 20% of what it was 10 years ago.

05-Mar-15
Scott Williams now posting as Shawn_in_ Ma..........Welcome back Dr. Williams.

05-Mar-15
Again Glen...the same points I made when stating how many deer I saw when driving and hunting in town were said to be irrelevant, just as you saying I live on transect 4 and know where all the deer are...it is a nonsense point. Bring back Mike, he actually stimulated my mind and got me thinking and researching, you're just throwing out numbers and hoping someone will listen. Yes I live in MA, is math and statistics based on harvest numbers done differently where I live???

05-Mar-15
Scott - Go back to your friends at CT DEEP and the CAES and bring some valid numbers back to the discussion.....Leave the smoke and mirrors in MA and show us how smart you think you are !

05-Mar-15
Glen I don't have any friends at DEEP or CAES, I'm from MA remember.

However, you have done nothing to prove to me that the CAES and DEEP numbers are less credible than the numbers you have presented.

We are going around in a circle again.

As of right now we have 1 privately funded FLIR, 1 CAES funded FLIR (over a limited area), 1 DEEP transect flight over numerous areas in ffld cty, and 1 CAES transect flight (over a limited area). Three out of four surveys report similar numbers, one is an outlier. I may not be smart but I know that 75% is a whole lot more than 25%.

Vision Air seems to have a very good reputation as has been mentioned. They have also had some less than stellar results in other studies as was shown on one of the other threads. The results of your FLIR have some real pretty pictures in them. THese images are obtained by refocusing the sensor and switching to a Narrow field view. What is happening while they are doing this? Are they missing other deer while focused on the narrow FOV getting those exceptional images??? I don't know the answer to that nor do I know what that would or would not do to the results.

I have made mention to this before and I believe you did as well...the private FLIR and the CAES FLIR were performed within 5 days of each other. THe private FLIR report Appendix A pg 8-10 shows the same general area covered by the CAES FLIR. The problem is that the reports are VASTLY different from each other. I would love to see a side by side analysis done of both tapes by another independent company. That would put the my method is better than your method argument to bed.

05-Mar-15
Scott, I see you are now back with your magic deer numbers; anything else in your bag of tricks !

05-Mar-15
Ah yes the old liar liar pants on fire.

To quote Mike in CT...If middle school retorts are all you can bring to the table on an important topic then I suggest you leave the topic to the adults in the room and revisit it when you've grown up a bit.

05-Mar-15
Shawn, whoever you are...are you upset about some pie in the sky number from said survey(s).....or do you believe the herd is in excellent shape - we don't need to take any precautions moving forward, keep killing everything because DEEP allow us to?

I'm baffled.

05-Mar-15
Kyle, I'm a pretty middle of the road guy who has been fortunate enough to hunt in many areas of this country. I believe the herd in ffld county is in excellent shape. I believe there were far too many deer for the land in ffld county prior to 2009. There are certainly less deer now than there were back then.

I am not upset at all, not in the least...but I'm not going to sit here while people rant over and over about 7 dpsm. While doing this they are also calling the entire DEEP (from the head of the dept right down to the biologists) a bunch of liars. I work as a scientist in the Molecular Genetics field, integrity is the name of the game while performing tests on patient samples. The results we provide often lead to life and death decisions or treatment courses and options. When I put my hands on a patient sample everything is done to ensure that a quality test is being performed. These biologists are scientists as well. I find it unfathomable that they would put their scientific integrity on the line and report purposely inaccurate results.

05-Mar-15
Shawn,

Like you I really don't have a dog in this fight, but if you find it unfathonable that scientists or that any profession for that matter is immune to lapses of judgement or outright corruption, or anything in between, your kidding yourself.

Pick up a newspaper once in a while. There isn't a profession in the world that isn't susceptible to it. Having an alphabet after your name doesn't make you a paradigm of integrity and above reproach.

05-Mar-15
Gotcha. Makes sense. Thank you.

If the guys on here would quit bitching about numbers, agree the herd is in decline, and FIGURE OUT A REASONABLE SOLUTION...we can move along with best practices.

How many guys on here have called or met with Dr. Kilpatrick? I keep asking, but no one answers. It's easy to sit here and bitch. It's tough to go walk the walk.

Everyone wants to go to their reprentative and ask them to sponsor the Sunday hunting bill....but has anyone gone to Kilpatrick and asked him for support in lowering the tag allotment? I know I have.

05-Mar-15
mike, same to you...lowering you self to the level that you think I am using " middle school retorts"... really man?

You have an unwarranted persecution complex as well as a misplaced sense as to whom has lowered the level of conversation here; the bar was set high and an honest request was made for facts so we could have a valuable and much-needed discussion. I have stated on multiple occasions that this is a serious topic and all facts, pro and con need to be on the table to have a serious discussion. You have only rendered a dissenting opinion to date. When I specifically asked you 3 times (now 4 counting the last post) to put up the facts behind that opinion I have gotten nothing from you; zero, zip, zilch, nada.

What you have offered is "that's nuts", and "that's stupid" and yes, those amount to middle-school retorts in an adult conversation.

If I have to explain that to you then I can only surmise you have a vested interest in high numbers and will use any and all tactics to maintain them or you have a lot of growing up to do. Or both.

Now if you've got some facts, let's see them and let's have that adult discussion. If that's beyond you then admit you don't have any and bid adieu.

05-Mar-15
Blood, I haven't, but I am cool with the tags as is at least for now.

I wouldn't bitch if the tags were reduced, but its not something I am particularly concerned about.

05-Mar-15
Man oh man, cabin fever is at an all time high!!

Arrow, I know you have some solid numbers figured out for towns that have been counted and that's great, I'm not going to dispute any of that. But to say precisely what surrounding towns have for dpsm is not backed by enough data to make a claim like that. The numbers you are throwing around are speculative, and I would caution you not to get too sure of yourself with them. There are far too many variables involved, and many unknowns to jump to conclusions here about the next town over.

05-Mar-15
Toonces, I respect that. Thanks.

05-Mar-15
Glen you are assuming an equal distribution across the entire transect...we all know that is a no-no.

Shawn, thank you for acknowledging a point I have brought up as to issues I have with how the CT DEEP transects have been misused. When those transect surveys encompass less than 10% of a town they cannot extrapolate those numbers to report a town-wide deer density for exactly the reason you just listed; they cannot assume an equal distribution throughout the city. In spite of this reality that is what is being done and I’m glad you acknowledge this as wrong.

Again Glen...the same points I made when stating how many deer I saw when driving and hunting in town were said to be irrelevant.

Shawn, I won’t speak for anyone else but I know I’ve referred to such sightings as anecdotal evidence, and with regard to relevancy stated that in terms of factual reporting they wouldn’t meet that yardstick.

As of right now we have 1 privately funded FLIR, 1 CAES funded FLIR (over a limited area), 1 DEEP transect flight over numerous areas in ffld cty, and 1 CAES transect flight (over a limited area). Three out of four surveys report similar numbers, one is an outlier. I may not be smart but I know that 75% is a whole lot more than 25%.

Shawn, there were actually 2 privately funded FLIR surveys; Redding and Newtown, and both encompassed all of respective towns. If the 3 other surveys you mention were over a similar area as the privately funded FLIR's then your point would have validity; as none of them amount to more than a fraction of the same area the comparison is invalid, and when attempting to capture a town-wide deer population the only survey that can attest to actually surveying this total area is the one by Vision Air. I’m not questioning your intelligence and I doubt you’d argue that the point I’ve just made isn't completely valid.

Vision Air seems to have a very good reputation as has been mentioned. They have also had some less than stellar results in other studies as was shown on one of the other threads. The results of your FLIR have some real pretty pictures in them. THese images are obtained by refocusing the sensor and switching to a Narrow field view. What is happening while they are doing this? Are they missing other deer while focused on the narrow FOV getting those exceptional images??? I don't know the answer to that nor do I know what that would or would not do to the results.

Scott Williams chose to cherry-pick 2 examples and one was a gross misrepresentation in which he compared a roadside spotlight survey (no gold standard to compare to) done in 2006 to an aerial survey done in 2013. He also failed to add in the 525 deer taken during the hunting season which given his insistence on those culled deer being including in his Redding counts was the height of hypocrisy. The other poor result was from Shelter Island and given the type of cover was a predictable outcome. The fact that Vision Air did not bill for the survey aptly echoes that the owner likely knew this was going to be a foregone conclusion. You can advise a customer but it's their money in the end.

Regarding the narrow FOV leading to missed deer; I posted a response to Scott Williams dying salvo that put this question to rest; the switch to narrow field is to confirm deer and the wide view covers a 0.5 mile swath; given the transects are 800’ apart there is considerable overlap on both passes.

The problem is that the reports are VASTLY different from each other. I would love to see a side by side analysis done of both tapes by another independent company. That would put the my method is better than your method argument to bed.

Actually that is not a problem at all when you understand the pertinent factors; the equipment, the experience and the survey methods. I’ve posted this all before but Davis Aviation uses a camera that is not optimal for wildlife surveys, especially in the winter. It operates in low-range IR and there is literature to attest to it’s shortcomings compared to the high-range IR that the equipment Vision Air uses. The difference is cost is telling to; DA’s camera can be purchased for under $5K, Vision Airs goes for just north of $125K. DA does not have a certified wildlife biologist manning the camera, VAR does.

Regarding the quality of the results the pictures I posted should have put that puppy to bed. Chicklets or definitely deer; easy to tell the difference between the two. As Scott Williams often stated, “you get what you pay for”. He paid for a $5K camera, we paid for a $125K camera and the pictures spell out who got value and who got taken fairly obviously.

I have also had the opportunity to view a chunk of the DA footage; it does not appear that transects were flown as much as circling over the same area was employed. It also appears that the 9 chicklets appear in 3 instances but in exactly the same orientation. I’ll have more to this analysis when I have more time to really pore over the video. Let me end by saying I was vastly underwhelmed.

While doing this they are also calling the entire DEEP (from the head of the dept right down to the biologists) a bunch of liars.

Again, I’ll not speak for anyone else but I’ve never called anyone at the CT DEEP a liar. What I have done on multiple occasions is state a factual truth; they are misusing the aerial transect survey and as a result are misrepresenting the true state of the deer herd. As long as they continue to employ this practice and base tag allotments on it I will continue to point this out.

In conclusion to any who might question the sense of urgency some posters convey; the best time to put out a fire is when you notice the smoke coming out of a window, not when the entire house is engulfed in flames.

There's a problem with numbers and there's a definite downward trend in deer numbers. We ignore this at our own peril.

06-Mar-15
Mike I look forward to your analysis after looking through the DA footage. If there are a group of 9 deer that are counted numerous times then that would skew the results. It should be easy to determine if it is the same group or not simply based on gps coordinates etc. Naturally, your analysis may not be as accurate or complete as someone who is trained and practiced in this procedure but it will still be enlightening none the less.

I still see comparing the DA footage to the VAR footage as a valid method, as long as we compare the SAME areas. Whether or not the camera is the same is a minor point. Just because I shoot a $3000 bow does not mean that I will outshoot someone with a $200 bow, it's more about knowing how to use your equipment. With the gps coordinates on the footage this should be a non-issue. The surveys were performed 5 days apart, 40 deer did not just up and move out of a ~1sq mile area in that time. It is more likely that 1 of 2 things happened, 1) VAR missed some of the deer or did not count objects that they felt were not deer. or 2)DA counted objects that were not deer as deer or double counted. If it is shown that VAR numbers were incorrect in this ~1sq mile area then it makes one question the results from the entire town. Conversely if the DA numbers are shown to be inaccurate then perhaps the culling for the CAES study should not have proceeded.

06-Mar-15
Shawn,

I must respectfully disagree with your comments regarding validity not being impacted by equipment.

I posted a citation on another thread that specifically pointed to performance issues with low-wave IR (DA) for wildlife surveys in winters in North America, the conditions that existed when the survey was done. This fact cannot be discounted as it is not analagous to comparing bows.

It is, as I pointed out by way of an example I'll post here shortly, an example of a good tool misapplied.

The example I gave was you take 2 carpenters and tell them to frame a house. Both receive the same lumber, nails, etc. but one has a 20oz framing hammer and the other has a crescent wrench. Both can accomplish the job but the efficiency will not be equal and the quality certainly will not be equal.

This is exactly the point of comparing the respective equipment used; Vision Air uses a much more sophisticated camera that operates in the high-wave IR that is ideally suited to wildlife surveys in the winter in North America. There simply is no comparison to the two methods and the fact that Vision Air's camera is manned by a certified wildlife biologist further tilts the scales in their favor in terms of producing the most likely accurate result.

It will probably be either late Sat or Sunday before I have the chance to just sit and watch the DA video and yes, I plan to note GPS locations. If the same coordinates appear at different times that would be multiple counts of the same objects. If the GPS coordinates are different but the number and position of the objects are identical I'd question the legitimacy of the product-I know that's harsh but as a scientist I'm not overly found of coincidences, especially if they appear to slant in favor of a party with a vested interest in an outcome.

06-Mar-15
Mike, can you explain how a Wildlife biologist manning the camera leads to more accurate results? It is my understanding that VAR does not report an actual deer number until they have returned home and analyzed the footage.

Please tell me that they count all the deer seen in the footage and not just the ones that the wildlife biologist zoomed in on. If the wildlife biologist missed a chicklet or didn't think a chicklet was a deer while flying does not mean that the chicklet isn't a deer.

06-Mar-15
Shawn,

A wildlife biologist with 18 years of experience and thousands of surveys will be better equipped on the intrepretative end of what a heat signature means.

Zooming in to confirm serves two purposes; to affirm the functionality of the equipment and operator and to provide high-quality imagery to lend substance to the report. Also, as I mentioned above the significant overlap on the transect coverage more than precludes any possibility of skipping over deer while changing views for the purpose mentioned.

VAR counts deer by the way, not "chicklets"; the image contrasts between their results and DA's was meant to provide a side-by-side contrast to the quality of the results. The pictures should have been self-explanatory and were in fact to the majority of the posters on the threads in which they were displayed.

I understand Scott Williams' reluctance to accept the fact that his emperor has no clothes; if he wishes to channel his angst through a middle-man tell him we can simplify the process by him just sending me a PM so that we can have that discussion off-line. This way your time and mine will not be wasted as it is being now to address his concerns.

06-Mar-15
Mike...let me make one thing clear. If for one second you think that I am acting as a middle man for Scott Williams you are sorely mistaken. I am deeply offended by that insinuation and I expected more out of you. Thank you for your time during this discussion. I am through. Carry on spreading your version of what you believe to be the truth.

06-Mar-15

airrow's embedded Photo
airrow's embedded Photo
Davis Aviation IR Survey ( Pheasant Ridge ) Test Area - Dots or Deer ?

06-Mar-15

airrow's embedded Photo
airrow's embedded Photo
Vision Air FLIR Survey - Deer

06-Mar-15
Glen put up a picture from the wide FOV. Quit comparing apples to oranges. Your pic is zoomed in on Narrow FOV and in the middle of a field while Davis Air pic is in a heavily wooded area.

06-Mar-15
Wow. Just wow. Shawn I don't understand what you're digging at.

Let's all hold off on shooting does for a few years. Let the stock rebound and have fun out there. We are stewards of the land and we have a renewable resource....that is in decline from a number of factors. The one we as hunters can control is not killing any does for a bit.

Let's move on and talk about off season bow tuning and new camo or fitness routines or recipes or ....

07-Mar-15
I harvested 3 does in Redding last season, as well as one unrecoverable buck that I believe may have survived. 2 of those does including the buck were all in one of the study areas. On the mornings that I harvested each of those deer including the morning that i arrowed the buck, I observed an additional 5-8 deer. The afternoon that I harvested the other doe she was accompanied by an additional 6 does. I believe that some areas of redding are certainly hit harder than others while others are doing ok.i believe the areas where I harvested mine are more than capable of supporting a several deer reduction.

07-Mar-15
I have hunted in Bethel for over 30 years and driven around many of the back roads looking for deer for years,I can say without a doubt that that there are far less deer sightings in the last several years

07-Mar-15

airrow's embedded Photo
airrow's embedded Photo
Shawn / Scott - Here are your Apples-to-Apples view of both a wide angle shot WFOV of ( 5 deer ) and the same area with a narrow angle shot NFOV; second picture of the ( 3 ) lower deer in film laying down to verify they are deer.

07-Mar-15

airrow's embedded Photo
airrow's embedded Photo
Second Picture - NFOV to verify ( 3 ) lower targets in film are deer, laying down.

07-Mar-15
Silverados post made me curious. I dont recall hearing how crappy airrows and Roosters season went? Curious on your sightings and harvest numbers?

08-Mar-15
spike78 - I was fortunate enough this year to spend over 400 hours in the woods of Redding, Newtown and Brookfield. I do work ( mowing, land clearing, etc. ) for the land trusts, open space and Newtown Forest Association in these towns. Did I see deer this year, yes; what I also saw was an alarming lack of deer, a condition we all find ourselves in now. As for hunting I did harvest a large older buck at the end of the season after he had breed most of the does in the same area.

08-Mar-15
Spike-

Happy to answer your question - Hunted Redding on several occasions in 2014. Unfortunately as I expected Redding is very slim on deer. From what I have been told only 3-4 deer were taken from Town Open Space as part of the Town of Redding Deer Management Program.

08-Mar-15
The deer population is about 1/4 the coyote population accordind to my sightings.

08-Mar-15
I'm no scientist, my vocabulary doesn't consist of lots of big fancy words made to make others feel uneducated or in superior. However I have hunted redding and newtown for many years, and I shot more deer this past season than any other in my lifetime. I'll save you freedom of information searchers the trouble, I shot 12 deer last fall. I saw deer on almost every sit. I even passed on a few. is there less deer than there was in these towns 10 years ago? Absolutely, because of guys like me. Is there 7 deer per square mile? Not in your wildest dreams. I don't need a flir survey to tell me this. I spend enough time in a tree to know that number is Ludacris. All you dosh nozzles stating we are stewards of the "woods" obviously don't realize this is mostly privately owned small tracts of land that can not, and should not support deer populations in the amount it does. Why is the population higher in southern ct than it is in central mass? Because we have more people that are blue collar, hunting class people. Fairfield County probably has a population that less than 1% hunts. So no matter how many deer I shoot, you shoot, white buffalo shoots, there will always remain enough property that receives zero hunting pressure that the deer population will likely never reach 7 deer per square mile.

09-Mar-15
I just reviewed my kill reports for last year, none of the numbers are the same, some are similar, but if you look close, not the same. And we should trust you counting deer?

09-Mar-15
Ben - It`s unfortunate you feel you have to take 12 deer ( ? ).......While hunting in CT........This looks to be a common practice with hunters from MA. Perhaps you can clear some confusion up for me; how you are able to use one confirmation number on more than one deer ?

09-Mar-15
I'd like to know how anyone could use 1 confirmation #?? That's not possible. Maybe you are referring to something else? Please clarify your post airrow

09-Mar-15
Ben - Maybe you can explain why on 11/14 you took 3 deer and used one confirmation # 1405575 on two different deer ?

09-Mar-15

jdrdeerslayer's embedded Photo
jdrdeerslayer's embedded Photo
ben just sent this to me asking to post it as he couldn't get it to upload. so still not sure what airrow is talking about??

09-Mar-15
And all of these deer were shot on private land, most property's under 10 acres. None of which are even relatively close to any state or public land that is open to any type of hunting.

09-Mar-15
As someone who hunts state land only, and I have for all of my 46 years of bow hunting, why would you shoot 12 deer in one year? Because you can? Even the meat hunters on this site say they only need 3-4 deer to last a year, so why 12?

This past season I could have shot 9 deer that were within 20 yards or less, broad side, standing still, and I only took one mature buck. The season before I had the same shot opportunities on 3 bucks (one nice one) and 3 does, and I decided to shoot zero.

The reason I'm seeing this many deer is because I have spots on state land where there are pockets of deer. Why do these pockets exist? Because I decide not to shoot everything that walks within bow range.

Everyone has the "right" to shoot as many deer as the state allows, but that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. Why not find some young hunter and teach him how to set up a stand, play the wind, remove his scent, draw back on a live deer without being seen, and then let the deer walk to teach him respect for life and managing the herd. At the very least, share your bounty with other hunters struggling to find a deer by letting them release the arrow.

Anyone can kill deer. Not everyone can let them walk.

09-Mar-15
I posted a screen shot from the states reporting website, if you want to go by what some teenage girl at redding ridge market wrote down incorrectly and draw assumptions that I'm somehow breaking the laws, that just reinforces the type of person you are. I could post valid points till my thumbs fall off, at the end of the day I am still correct and you guys will still be whining like little girls. Thanks again for reminding me why I almost never post on this site.

09-Mar-15
Ben - Two deer on one confirmation # 1405575......Is this a new way to game the system in CT ? You checked in 3 deer on the same day 11/14; 2 of which have the same confirmation #.... Trying to fault another person for this is not going to work.

You have two confirmation numbers from the State of CT for 11/4 and you checked in 3 deer on that day; two of which have the same confirmation # 1405575 and the other confirmation is # 1405576 was also checked in on 11/14. Three deer with only two confirmation numbers.

09-Mar-15
Actually I checked 2 deer on the 14th, and earned a bonus buck tag in the process, on the 15th I killed 3 deer. Math isn't your strong suit is it? Just drawing assumptions and manipulating data to support your arguments?

09-Mar-15
Wow guys are going to the check in stations now and copying stuff....too funny

09-Mar-15
Not taking sides but we checked in a deer there with no number the internet was down we called her up when we got home and she filled it in for us .Steve

09-Mar-15
I'm a relative newcomer to FFC. However, compared with where I used to live in 'fly over country' there are still a lot of deer here. I saw the Newtown numbers and based on my sightings and cameras I had out one of two things it going on. Either the numbers are really low (don't jump on me.. only taking into account all possibilities I can think of) or I am very fortunate to be on the property that I hunt. Doing the math what I see equals ~ 250-300 dpsm. Now I'm pretty sure that number is far to high. So I am very thankful to be on good hunting property. Perhaps we just each need to decide on how many we'll harvest ourselves and not worry too much about what the other guy is doing.

09-Mar-15
I, like many of you have gained access to private hunting lands for a reason, too many deer. For you guys to think the residents in these areas should be burdened with higher deer densities so you can see more deer while hunting is beyond selfish. Higher motor vehicle deer collision rates, more property damage to landscape, and a higher risk of lyme disease, all so you guys can see more deer.

09-Mar-15
Heres my thoughts: 1) airrow, Im from MA and took one deer in CT a few years ago and hunted the rest of the season in MA so not all of us are greedy here. 2) If he shot that many deer and doubles and triples then Id say yes theirs a big population. I wasnt able to do that in VA where I lived for two years on a private bean field with a TON of deer on it. 3) Ben, thats a little rediculous shooting that many. My 2 cents.

09-Mar-15
After butchering and processing 2 deer I'm pretty much spent. 12 deer? No thanks ... what's the point really? You just like killing stuff or you're a superhero for Fairfield County landowners.

09-Mar-15

Mike in CT's embedded Photo
Mike in CT's embedded Photo
Posted on behalf of airrow who is experiencing technical difficulties.....

"Ben - Here are all three of your deer checkins for 11/14.....Maybe this will jog your memory for the three deer checkin # `S 45, 46, and 47.....In one day."

09-Mar-15
Line 47 lists the 3 pink tag numbers I submitted in order to receive a green bonus buck tag. Like I stated above, I checked in 2 deer on the 14th and that can be confirmed with the photo posted above. Have any of you questioning this ever checked a doe at redding ridge market?

My family eats nothing but venison or fish I catch all year long. It doesn't last as long as you guys think when you eat it 4-5 times a week.

09-Mar-15
dang bud,can i be your new hunting pal..cuz,homie, compadre,,.lol

09-Mar-15
Also, line 47 also lists a number under the green tag column, which is the earn a buck tag you get after you harvest 3 does on private land. If you guys shot more deer you'd be familiar with this process.

09-Mar-15
Yes ben shoots alot of deer....but he eats it all. He's lucky to have a good size family that enjoys venison often.

09-Mar-15
will somebody please come up with a solution, so that some of the hunters on here can go back to shooting more deer with less effort, so that they will shut the hell up!..some of you people are so frig'n CT it's sickening. If you can't have your cake and eat it, there's gotta be an explanation,. and if it's not the one you want to hear then it's wrong. Get over you god damn selves! and think about all aspects of the resource. god forbid anything bad ever happened in the country, some of you people would starve at anything less than 30 deer per sq/mi, with your sit and wait skills out weighing your ability to actually hunt and read deer sign. When your bait pile doesn't get hit as much as it used to, it's whoa is me, and someone/thing has gotta be to blame...ever cross you mind that some of you may just suck at hunting when there is not large numbers of deer and you actually have to hunt them and not just wait?

09-Mar-15
BowBen, Not sure why you would promote people to shoot more deer. In the long run it wouldn't work in your favor. How would you get your 12 deer a year to feed your family? Probably better off keeping quiet about it.

09-Mar-15
Glen

All my deer are reported legally, I have no control over how a teenage girl who takes my breakfast or lunch order, and also checks my deer logs her data. I was there that day, I know what I did, and I know it was perfectly legal. If you want to continue making yourself look stupid, feel free to post more nonsense.

09-Mar-15
Smoothdraw,

First off, if you can't handle processing 2 deer, you either have no idea what you're doing or you're just plain lazy. I've done 5 in a day, I've done moose, and didn't complain because I love all aspects of the hunt.

As far as promoting people shoot more deer, I have no worries. I gain access to hunt property's because I actually do what I say I'm going to do and that's reduce the deer population. My reputation speaks for itself.

09-Mar-15
Ben - I’m hoping you can clear something up for me; you’re claiming that line 47 is where you turned in your 3 pink doe tags to earn the green “earn –a-buck” tag, right?

Can you explain then why line 47 was even necessary when the first pink tag number listed is for the second doe you checked in under confirmation #1405576, which was pink tag #92746? As that was #3 pink tag why didn’t you simply turn in the other 2 pink tags and then on line 46 she could have filled in your green tag number and you’d have been done?

There is no reason for anyone to have entered anything in line 47 unless it was to check in a 3rd deer. It certainly appears that is what happened as you turned in your pink tag from the deer you checked in line 46 with 2 other pink tags.

It doesn’t seem likely that you “forgot” the 2 other tags and returned; by this time line 47 would have been filled by another hunter and the girl could have simply entered the 3 pink tags on line 46, entered your green tag number on the same line and you’d have been on your way.

I’m sorry but your story just isn’t adding up.

09-Mar-15
On average the spots I hunt I can usually see 6 to 8 houses from my stand. Do you people honestly think these small suburban tracks of woods should hold 20-30 dpsm?

10-Mar-15
BowBen (the greatest hunter in all the land) it doesn't really matter what we THINK...it was just proven by a scientific method that there are less than 10 dpsm...and even at those numbers I could shoot 20+ deer every year because I have more than one spot to hunt...I think you are missing the point on more than one level!!

10-Mar-15
Daniel Boone isn't really the problem. DEEP is the problem... they set the regulations. Hunters are going to do what they want. It's that simple. But don't expect kudos on this forum for taking 12 deer.

10-Mar-15
Long beard...iabsuty NOTHING has been proven...if you can't see that after all this, there is nothing else to say.

10-Mar-15
I never claimed to be a good hunter, or great, and certainly am not looking for kudos from anybody. See how many posts you can find of me last fall of my hunts. Zero. I posted this information as factual evidence of the deer population in newtown and redding on private land.

10-Mar-15
I find it strange that none of you will answer my question of how many deer should this suburban habitat actually sustain for your own selfish desires. How many residents should suffer from lyme disease, from deer vehicle collisions, and property damage costing thousands of dollars?

11-Mar-15
I would bet that the habitat in FF Cty suburbia can hold MORE deer psm than most state land in CT. Why? Because there's more food available with all of the nice shrubs, ornimental trees, bird feeders, vegetable gardens, hedge rows, etc.

Lyme disease - check yourself for ticks, you don't need to kill the deer to avoid lyme. I've hunted for 46 years and never had a tick bite, and this includes sitting on the ground in the spring for turkey.

Car/deer - hit one deer in my life (64 yrs old) and that was not in FF county, it was in Wolcott on Rt 69, but I saw it just before in jumped in front of my truck and was able to avoid major damage. I would tell the people in FF to get off their cell phones and pay attention to the road, just like I do when I travel to/from the NW corner in the dark each fall.

Dr Williams said you can't go by what hunters are saying because we don't have the science behind our statements, it's all anecdotal, so if you're seeing lots of deer and killing lots of deer it doesn't mean that FF county has lots of deer.

I don't think anyone on this site is saying they want 30-40 dpsm. I think they're saying the state's numbers are wrong, there are less than the 30-60 dpsm, and they want the herd to be managed better.

If you're saying the FLIR doesn't prove anything then, well,.....not sure what else to say other than a picture is worth a thousand words.

11-Mar-15
Ben - " I posted this information as factual evidence of the deer population in newtown and redding on private land. "

Ben - " my question of how many deer should this suburban habitat actually sustain for MY own selfish desires ? "

Read slowly, I can`t type any clearer; The FLIR survey results showing the current deer populations for 2015, have been posted for both Redding ( 234 deer or 7.43 dpsm ) and Newtown, CT ( 689 deer or 11.41 dpsm ).

It`s clear that your own selfish desires exceed your limited comprehension skills. Save your Dave Streit song and dance sales pitch for the soccer moms; no one here is buying it.

11-Mar-15
Ben You have argued that there are plenty of deer in Redding and surrounding areas. It seems that you base this on your hunting prowess and that of others that find it necessary to tout your kills like notches on a bed post.

If a bag of corn next to the swing set in the backyard where you can see 8 houses from your stand is your formula for success in Redding with less than 8 dpsm.

Why wouldn't you just stay in your own back yard and save all the time and gas?

11-Mar-15
Pictures are worth a thousand words, I have enough trail cam photos to have a very good idea how many deer are still around.

11-Mar-15
Rooster

what an excellent point.

Where's the scouting, patterning the deer movements, finding the food and bedding areas, looking for escape routes, finding deer scrapes and rubs, playing the wind and using it for a stalk or still hunt?

Sitting in the kid's playscape waiting for your targets to show up is not what I consider hunting.

If trail cam photos determine the number of deer then we need to tell Dr Wlliams to save the thousands of dollars spent on the aerial survey and go to Dick's to buy some trail cams.

11-Mar-15
Bob

How does one effectively scout a property less than 10 acres? You're assumptions that I can't or haven't put miles on my boots in pre season and pick apart deer sign and terrain is comical.

And if hunting in suburban ct near the kids play scape isn't your idea of hunting why do you have such an opinion on deer densities in this environment?

11-Mar-15
I'm sure if I didn't shoot any of these backyard deer they would have somehow migrated to one of the few areas in town that actually allow public hunting.

Riddle me this, what percentage of land in redding or newtown is open to public hunting? You can even include watershed property which you must have a permit to hunt.

11-Mar-15
The CAES and the CT DEEP have now done 9 deer surveys in Redding, CT; as of yesterday 3/10/15, 2 in 2014 and 7 in 2015 and they have still not found their missing deer ! With the cost now over $26,000.00 and counting maybe they should just expand their search area as they expanded the two CAES ITM test sites in Redding; this way they can find more deer in the neighboring towns of Newtown, Bethel, Easton, Richfield and find the number of deer they figured were in Redding.

What's next; a door to door search for Bambi by the National Guard ?............ An Amber Alert ? With the DEEP stating there are approximately 1,200 + deer in Redding, CT they have a real problem and need to find these missing 966 deer before they start to look a little bit silly ! After all, how would it look for these Dr`s and PhD`s to lose 966 deer ?

The answer could be as simple as the deer are not there and never existed to begin with. Then again, wasn't a privately funded FLIR survey done in 2015 showing both the town wide number of deer ( 234 or 7.43 dpsm ) and their locations in Redding, CT ? Maybe that was too simple !

11-Mar-15
Oh I wasn't aware that the results of the 7 surveys in 2015 were available yet. Maybe they found all the deer and are wondering why some guy keeps going on and on about 7 dpsm??

11-Mar-15
BowBen

scouting 10 acres would require all of 30 - 40 min. Walk the perimeter of the property, see where the trails are leading to and from, pick a spot and you're done. Compare that to scouting 2600 acres of state land in the NW corner and let me know when the comedy starts.

I don't have to hunt FF county to have an opinion on deer management in the state of CT. I've been in direct contact with the DEEP for years, by mail, by email, by phone and in person. The NW corner where I hunt has seen a huge decline, so much so that they finally agreed to do a fawn mortality study in that area.

I have no problem with you or anyone else hunting the backyards of FF county, all I said is it's not for me. I like the big woods where I won't see the school bus dropping off the kids or hear the sounds of little Johnny playing on the swings next door.

I went to New Mexico and hunted elk in the Cibola National Forest by myself where there's tens of thousands of acres to scout. To me THAT is what hunting is all about, not killing as many deer as you can. That doesn't make me a better hunter, just different.

11-Mar-15
Bob,

you're concerns of the deer population in nw ct are likely valid, I have no first hand experience in that area. This conversation pertains to two towns that I do hunt.

Off the top of my head I can't think of a single place in redding where you can purchase a license and go hunt, without obtaining a permit or winning a lottery to do so. Or gain access from a private land owner.

This entire discussion about the declining deer numbers in redding is because of a small group of hunters who hunt private or town land that have managed these properties to suit their hunting agendas over the past several years. In recent years the residents in this town have gotten fed up with having too many deer, and subsequently that has ultimately led to actions being taken to reduce the deer population. Such as opening up watershed property to bowhunting with a permit, and an increase in residents willing to allow bowhunters on their property to reduce the deer population. And of course white buffalo.

11-Mar-15
Ah yes. Now we have Ben speaking for the general public in Redding. I suspect our buddy Ben would have no idea about Redding and recently Newtown had it not been for Dave "Lyme free" Striet and his recruiting outside of CT for hunters that would fall for the hype. So Ben where is your next assignment? Perhaps it is time to check in with the Deer Alliance or BeSafe(fill in he town in Fairfield Cnty) to see where Dave thinks the next honey hole is. That is after he gets the local soccer moms all fired up with his game of fear factor.

11-Mar-15
Rooster,

I will still be hunting redding and newtown this fall because I know there is way more than 7 dpsm.

11-Mar-15
Ben,

how MANY more dpsm and is it across the entire town or just the area(s) you hunt?

You criticize others who have DATA and then make blanket statements based upon your trail cams or the particular spot(s) you hunt. That's just not logical.

Without a doubt there are POCKETS of deer throughout the state, private land and state land included. That doesn't mean what you find should be considered the average, nor does it mean what I find should be considered the average. The FLIR provided the count for those areas in Redding, Newtown, etc. That's what I would consider factual. The rest is all assumption, opinion, or just BS.

11-Mar-15
I can tell you guys that the properties I hunt that the owners report less deer and are extremely happy. I can also tell you that they are so happy that even time a deer shows up they see I get emails and phone calls....why? Because they still want the population reduced. I honestly do not belive redding/newtown are at 35-40 dpsm but I would never put it at 7-11 not even close. Bob in Bens defence he hunts every year with us at my camp in North central mass. Where we have a honest 6-10 dpsm and huge tracks of woods like in the tens of thousands....we can walk for several miles with out crossing a rd ....so to say he's not familiar with big woods is a stretch

11-Mar-15
Bob

The data in question is from a privately funded flir survey, paid for by people with an agenda.

11-Mar-15
BowBen,

So the publically funded surveys supported by the folks with a direct monetary interest in killing deer for profit aren't agenda driven?

11-Mar-15
jr

Ben wasn't talking about his hunting in MA, but his experiences in FF Cty CT. My comments were directed at the FF comments only.

I don't think Ben needs any defense for hunting in FF cty, I think it's fine he does, it's just not for me.

I just don't understand ignoring an FLIR and substituting anecdotal information as described by the CAES Dr Williams in it's place and saying that's the way to determine the deer herd count for the entire FF county, or at the very least Redding.

11-Mar-15
toonces makes a valid point but the # of deer I /we see in these towns doesn't add up.

I hunt in mass @ 6-10 dpsm and you can go weeks with out seeing deer and these are places where you can actively move around and adjust/scout to deer sign patterns.

11-Mar-15
"I can also tell you that they are so happy that even time a deer shows up they see I get emails and phone calls....why? Because they still want the population reduced"

That's called eradication, not reduction. They don't want to see ANY deer...slippery slope.

11-Mar-15
Ben, if you think Dr Williams/CAES, who hired his friend (WB) to kill deer at a huge expense to the state was not biased, then I have to say you're very naive. As I said before, both sides in this issue will slant the data to suit there agenda. The pictures, equipment used, area covered, etc in the privately funded FLIR was superior to the state's.

Where I work I call it management by fact. MBF!

11-Mar-15
Ben, Im curious as Ive never been to Redding, what is the tree cover like in your private land spot? Is it thick where a FLIR would miss those deer. Also, was all 12 harvested in same spot?

11-Mar-15
Bob this was a FEDERALLY a funded study...remember that

11-Mar-15
I think we've had the "agenda" card played enough; it's especially galling when it's directed at people who have never hidden their agenda and when coming from anyone who has tapped dance around coming right out and saying what their agenda is.

When you get down to it everyone on this thread has an agenda. The one's who haven't hidden theirs have made it plain that theirs is sound wildllife management. For having the balls to publicly own their agenda they've been labeled "dosh nozzles" and told they "whine like girls". That really helps stimulate a productive dialogue.

It hasn't escaped my notice that the loudest naysayers against the privately funded FLIR results (excepting of course Scott Williams) are hunters from MA. To those individuals I say this; it's time to come out and state your agenda and own it. Whether it's right or wrong is purely opinion but standing behind a belief should always be respected, regardless of anyone's personal feelings on the subject. You've made very clear what your dog in this fight is; unlimited doe tags and the ability to stack deer like cordwood if you have the opportunity and if you damn well please. Fine-if it's legal there is no dispute that you have that right and what I think or what anyone else thinks about it amounts to jack squat. But it's way past time to knock off tossing out accusations about agendas while not putting any skin in the game of your own.

And here's a critical difference in agendas; the ones arguing for the reality of the lower numbers don't gain; they lose-fewer tags if they carry the day. Selflessness tends to not favor the selfless. On the flip side you've got everything to gain from keeping the status quo and apparently will fight tooth and nail any threat to that status quo. This "I've got mine" mentality mirrors selfishness more than anything else.

Again, you have every right to hold and act on these views; just stop dancing around your agenda and post it and then own it.

11-Mar-15
Mike

Sound wildlife management? How do you achieve that with literally zero property that is open to public hunting, in a town where the vast majority don't hunt?

That's how the deer population got out of control to begin with in my opinion.

What's my agenda? Clearly I enjoy shooting lots of deer. That's obvious. And I am not a proponent for reducing or changing the current tag limits. My agenda here is sharing how I feel about this subject, based on my experiences and first hand knowledge. You may not take what I say as facts, my previous season kill reports, the deer I've seen on trail cameras, or from the treestand, or driving through town, or dead on the side of the road. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm crazy for not taking this flir report as gospel like many of you are. It's my opinion and you don't have to like it or agree with me.

11-Mar-15
Spike, I harvested 4 of the 12 in redding on 2 different properties and 8 in newtown on 3 properties. I don't know enough about what a flir camera can and can not see through, but some areas where the deer typically bed are about as thick and nasty as it gets.

11-Mar-15
Listen mike I will tell you this I have no agenda.....I used to live in Fairfield co and still have alot of family and friends that do. I have been shooting 5-10 deer a year for quiet some time. Anyway like I said I don't have a agenda I simply dispute the #'s that are being thrown around. Plan and simple. Do belive there 40-60 dpsm no way....do I belive there's 7-11 dpsm no way.... I belive the # falls in between. I simply see too many deer to say the population is at the lower #. My .02 not that it matters

11-Mar-15
Ben,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to respond. Second, I really wish you'd lose that chip you seem to have on your shoulder. If you can point to a single post of mine where I've questioned what you see on a camera, on a property, on the side of the road, anywhere, please point me to that post.

If you can point to any time I've hinted that you're crazy for questioning the FLIR, same question-please point out that post I made.

The fact is I've posted on multiple occasions that I've never questioned the raw numbers the CT DEEP has reported on their transect surveys, only the misapplication of projecting those numbers out for entire towns when they are only a fraction of those towns. That's simply not sound practice and should not be employed to then make wildlife management decisions.

One point I think you and others seem to struggle grasping; you keep equating a population of deer within a segment of a town with an absolute deer density.

If anyone speaks of dpsm in Redding they are speaking to the average number of deer per square mile for each square mile of the 31.5 square miles that make up the entire town of Redding.

If you accept the FLIR count of 234 deer for the entire town of Redding it does not mean that you do not have 40 of those 234 on the 10 acres you hunt. For the sake of an easier example let's say you have access to a total of 1 square mile and it's got those 40 deer. On that 1 square mile you have a population of 40 deer and a density of 40 dpsm.

Here is where you are in error when you insist that it is absolutely impossible for there to be a 7 dpsm for all of Redding.

What you know as a fact (and to keep it simple we'll say you have a 1 square mile hunting property) is only what is on that 1 square mile. The other 30.5 square miles is an open question. Absent a firsthand knowledge of those 30.5 acres you cannot state as fact how many or how few deer they hold. If all you've got is another 194 deer on those remaining 30.5 square miles than guess what; you've got a townwide density of 7 dpsm-period.

As many have stated on this thread given available cover, forage and lack of predation preferred areas (preserves) will exist throughout FF county. If you're fortunate enough to have access to such hunting acreage a)consider yourself extremely blessed and b)do not assume what you have represents every other available acre in Redding.

Regarding sound wildlife management; this is where in all honesty I really get the sense you're letting that chip on your shoulder get in the way of seeing anyone else's point.

Sound wildlife management is a statewide necessity; please stop reading into that statement that it only applies to Redding or just to FF County. It applies universally to every huntable acre in CT and should apply to every huntable acre in any state in the US.

If we have a flawed method of season and bag limits that impacts every huntable acre in every state that practice is occurring in. I would think more than anyone, someone who hunts for subsistence would be the most vocal person demanding a sound method to make the best management decisions possible.

If it does turn out that the overall numbers are as low as the FLIR suggests than at some point there is going to be an impact on everyone; it is as inevitable as it is unavoidable.

I would rather be proactive in that discussion than be reactive and have to accept whatever is left. When you get to the point where the horse is out of the barn it's a bit late to be bolting the barn door.

11-Mar-15
Mike,

My apologies for the chip on the shoulder, bitterness that may have been unintentionally misdirected at you. Certain things that have been posted previously have put me on the defensive. Like when I post how many deer I shot, with a screen shot of confirmation numbers and I suddenly get accused of basically poaching because someone has a picture of the log book at redding ridge and doesn't understand the way that data is logged. As a sportsman who plays by the rules, I find that very offensive.

I find it very interesting that when you speak of sound wildlife management you mentioned every huntable acre. Now does that mean huntable because it has deer, or huntable because it has access? I am all for sound wildlife management practices, but certain factors need to be taken into account. What works in zones 11 or 12 likely does not make sense in northern ct. Different deer densities, habitat, hunting pressure and access to huntable land.

11-Mar-15
Ben,

No problem; it would be unfair not to mention that too much of the time on internet forums the discussion gets buried under personal attacks. This is a great shame as this is a great example of the kinds of discussions we've got to have.

When I speak of huntable acreage it has to have access; whether that's permit-required (for example by Northeast Utilities for Skiff Mountain in the NW), private land consent or any state-mandated permission (for example the shotgun season lottery).

You can have acreage that contains deer but if it's privately held (whether a residence, water company, whatever) and the landowner(s) won't give permission it's not huntable acreage. This became a problem with some of the Water Company properties, such as Bridgeport Hydraulic around Easton, CT for example. They opened up the properties but the on-the-ground reality seems to be they over-compensated and the numbers of deer have come way down.

I agree with you that all zones are not created equal; in the NW where Bob and I hunt a lot we have a growing population of black bears and a ton of small predators such as bobcats and fisher cats and they have definitely impacted the deer herd. No question there isn't a "one size fits all" strategy.

The one thing though that I think we need consistency on is our herd number estimation method. We've absolutely got to get that right, or at least as reliable as possible.

Bob and I have talked about lowering tag numbers or limiting harvest to bucks only as is being done in Zone 4a for example. In areas when low numbers are confirmed the first thing we need to do is protect the does. I realize this won't play well in FF County with property owners who remember $50K in ornamental shrubbery getting vaporized. That's a difficult path to navigate; how do we keep the landowners happy and how do we keep the hunters happy.

What I hope comes out of all of this is that we all agree we need to be able to count on the numbers we get and we need to know if/when adjustments need to be made they will be. And those adjustments can, and should be made either way as the numbers dictate.

Thanks for the response.

12-Mar-15
Shawn,

and federal money comes from where? The sky? It comes from you and me. The government does NOT make it's own money, they take it from us. If you're not Doc Williams you're sure sounding more and more like him. Either that, or you're Gov Malloy :)

12-Mar-15
Bob...you call me Scott and I'll fight back...you call me Malloy and thems fighting words LOL. Yes I understand your point about where the money comes from just stated it for clarification. It looks like this thread has mercifully come to an end. Just in time to start another one about another town lol.

12-Mar-15
BBB, your wrong , the fed govt has been pumping out dollars like crazy. Not backed by gold but still paper lol.

12-Mar-15
Spike

Got me on that one. Just remember that the debt theyre creating belongs to us. Printing money is just creating paper

12-Mar-15
Shawn

you're right, the Malloy comment was a low blow and I apologize for that.

13-Mar-15
Spike

Got me on that one. Just remember that the debt theyre creating belongs to us. Printing money is just creating paper

13-Mar-15
BBB, dont worry the govt knows what their doing wink wink.

13-Mar-15
there is a big difference between hunting and shooting deer. I prefer hunt them to put my skills learned over many years against there's . some prefer to shoot deer to put food on the table for there family . All decide there own choice, but if you hunt from a swing set don't call your self a hunter

13-Mar-15
There's no way in this day and age you can tell me it costs less to kill a deer to eat rather than buying meat at the store. Good luck to all this coming year.

Pass on as many does as you can and have fun!

13-Mar-15
Mike can you please tell your dad that subject is for another thread at another time!!

13-Mar-15
Bloodtrail

Do a little research on the meat industry and tell me that's what you want to feed your family. I never claimed it was cheaper, but I can tell you it's by far healthier.

As far as my hunting abilitys, I've done plenty of big woods, low deer density hunting, and I've also done plenty of suburban hunting. Both have their own unique challenges.

14-Mar-15
BowBen

wildlife has it's own problems with consumption, like chronic wasting disease and high levels of PCB or lead. I don't worry about eating either meat because I think you'd need to eat a truck load every day to have any problems, so I say eat on.

BTW - I think the deer are free. Why? Because for me hunting is about the hunt, not the kill. So coming home with a deer is kind of like finding a $100 bill on the ground. The cost for the equipment, gas, etc was spent on the hunt, not the deer.

• Sitka Gear