onX Maps
CWD Spreading
Missouri
Contributors to this thread:
Ron Kruger 10-Mar-15
tico 11-Mar-15
Ron Kruger 12-Mar-15
10-Mar-15
The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) reports that 11 new cases of Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) have recently been found in deer harvested in Macon, Adair, and now Cole counties. A buck harvested near the village of Centertown in Cole County is the first case of the disease to be found outside of the Departments six-county CWD Containment Zone of Adair, Chariton, Linn, Macon, Randolph, and Sullivan counties. All previous cases have been limited to Macon, Linn, and Adair counties.

These 11 new cases bring the total number of Missouri free-ranging deer that have tested positive for CWD to 14 for this past season and 24 overall since the disease was first discovered in the state in 2010 at a private hunting preserve in Linn County. CWD has also been found in 11 captive deer in Macon and Linn counties.

11-Mar-15
If I remember right, last year there were ZERO cases found. This year 11. I am a public school guy, but that just doesn't really add up. How did we skip a year?

12-Mar-15
Here's a link to the most comprehensive article on CWD that I've found: http://www.qdma.com/articles/10-reasons-you-dont-want-cwd-in-your-woods

• Sitka Gear