DeerBuilder.com
How Many Deer are in Weston & Easton, CT ?
Connecticut
Contributors to this thread:
airrow 12-Mar-15
CTCrow 12-Mar-15
Bloodtrail 12-Mar-15
spike78 12-Mar-15
shawn_in_MA 12-Mar-15
longbeard 12-Mar-15
jdrdeerslayer 12-Mar-15
Jadams 12-Mar-15
airrow 12-Mar-15
Jadams 12-Mar-15
airrow 12-Mar-15
steve 12-Mar-15
bigbuckbob 12-Mar-15
airrow 12-Mar-15
shawn_in_MA 12-Mar-15
bigbuckbob 12-Mar-15
shawn_in_MA 12-Mar-15
spike78 12-Mar-15
airrow 12-Mar-15
spike78 12-Mar-15
jdrdeerslayer 12-Mar-15
shawn_in_MA 12-Mar-15
Jadams 12-Mar-15
bigbuckbob 13-Mar-15
12-Mar-15
By using the 2015 CT DEEP transects for Weston, Easton and Redding, CT; and then comparing those results to the privately-funded FLIR surveys we now have an idea as to what the numbers really look like for deer in surrounding towns.

Weston, CT - By taking these "known values" ( baseline data ) a reliable estimate can be made for the surrounding towns. For example, using this baseline data a safe estimate of the deer population for Weston , CT; is likely to be around 156 - 208 deer or 7.87 - 10.5 dpsm. The Weston, CT; deer harvest for 2014 was 52 deer. Weston has 19.8 square miles and its` CT DEEP transect deer density for 2015 is ( 15 ); 45.45% lower than Reddings' transact deer density of ( 27.5 ). The Weston deer harvest to square mile ratio is 2.626.

Easton, CT - By taking these "known values" ( baseline data ) a reliable estimate can be made for the surrounding towns. For example, using this baseline data a safe estimate of the deer population for Easton , CT; is likely to be around 249 - 332 deer or 9.08 - 12.11 dpsm. The Easton, CT; deer harvest for 2014 was 83 deer. Easton has 27.4 square miles and its` CT DEEP transect deer density for 2015 is ( 15 ); 45.45% lower than Reddings' transact deer density of ( 27.5 ). The Easton deer harvest to square mile ratio is 3.029.

The above town deer number estimates have been given a 16.66% + / - correction factor. We are interested in any input Weston and Easton hunters wish to provide.

12-Mar-15
REALLY??

12-Mar-15
Glen, you should spend more time in your tree stand....

How about a post about new camo, arrows, treestands.....

12-Mar-15
Crow, sounds like you shouldnt bother hunting there anymore, maybe go north where their is more deer?

12-Mar-15
LMAO!!! Tinfoil hats for everybody!!!!

12-Mar-15
Thanks for the insight Glen, I appreciate it...

12-Mar-15
Dang..... I was hoping we were over this.....:/

12-Mar-15
Lol

12-Mar-15
Maybe; Spik78, Shawn_in_ Ma, jdrdeerslayer and Jadams can enlighten us all with their knowledge of the deer population numbers they feel are in both Weston & Easton. Show us your numbers !

12-Mar-15
Actually seeing you posted this, I'm curious to what the other Ct resident hunters believe. It's we Massholes, and a few Ct hunters. The Ct forum has a large following, do they believe these numbers are correct?

Honestly Glen, I don't care what the numbers are, I understand your concern with the deer population and I'm not trying to take anything from you. I have no agenda, I have nothing other than my time in the field as my own 2cents.

Btw, you missed bloodtrail ;)

12-Mar-15
Yes; I believe numbers are close and is the reason we are currently scheduling FLIR surveys to be done in both Weston and Easton, CT late this year 2015 or early 2016 next year. The Connecticut hunters are very concerned to what we are now seeing in FC and is why we are doing everything we can to have the CT DEEP listen to what we are seeing / saying and reduce the unlimited doe tags.

12-Mar-15
Do they ever post numbers for bhc property only ?

12-Mar-15
Let me explain why I'm concerned with deer numbers no matter where they are in CT.

The NW corner at one time had lots of deer (pick a number for deer psm, doesn't matter) and today most of the land holds few deer,...you really need to work to find them.

The state fought me, and others I'm sure, when I began complaining that they're allowing too many deer to be taken; and I was told I either don't know how to hunt or my numbers are all wrong.

Well, today they agree they are few deer in the NW corner and are doing studies to find out why.

I'm not looking to shoot a deer every time out, and I don't care if I see one EVERY time out. I would like to see deer the majority of times in the woods instead of hardly seeing one all season.

I do have spots where there are deer, but when other hunters locate them, and they will, that spot will no longer hold deer. There are few/no options left on state land to move to when that happens.

FF County - may be different, but it's the game management in this state that concerns me.

12-Mar-15
I have tried for years to get the numbers from BHC and they will not give them up. Harvest numbers are listed under state archery but they do not indicate which is which. The BHC numbers have really come down over the last several years.

12-Mar-15
BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!! The entire NW corner of CT has 2 deer per square mile just because that's what I want people to think so they won't hunt there!!! I have tinfoil hats for sale!

Nope...I'm not letting you drag me back into your land of make believe. Have fun, carry on

12-Mar-15
To those of you who think this topic is just a waste of your time, I would challenge you become more than just a "killer of deer", and graduate to becoming stewards of the resource you enjoy so much. The attitude of - "I got mine, who cares what you get/see" - is not in the best interest of our sport.

You should be thankful that there are people out there that care enough about this resource to put their time, energy, and money where their mouth is to protect it. These guys are not "whining" about the deer population, they're being proactive by performing their own surveys and trying to educate the state along with the rest of us.

You have the right to disagree, but maybe MA would have more deer today if you did what Glen, Mike and others have done in FF county.

12-Mar-15
Bob - "To those of you who think this topic is just a waste of your time, I would challenge you become more than just a "killer of deer", and graduate to becoming stewards of the resource you enjoy so much. The attitude of - "I got mine, who cares what you get/see" - is not in the best interest of our sport."

Bob...after all these go round and rounds we've had on here, there is one more piece of pertinent information you should know. Guess how many deer I killed in FF county last year...Hint...you shot more than I did. And it certainly wasn't from a lack of deer sightings

12-Mar-15
Bbb, that statement is incorrect as MA actually decreased their doe permits in Western MA. We used to be able to shoot one during archery or muzzleloader now we only can shoot one with a lottery permit. We never were able to shoot more than one so it wasnt necessary to tell them we are killing too many deer. The state has their dpsm goal on the internet for what they want across the state. They are trying to raise the pop in west end. The central is stable and the east they turned almost into FF county but the most doe permits they get in the east is between 1-3. Our problem is habitat and probably too many bears, coyotes, and bobcats.

12-Mar-15
Shawn - I would prefer to extend the benefit of the doubt to you and accept you at your word that you are not posting for Scott Williams or allowing him to use your Bowsite account. I prefer to take everyone at their word and not question anyone's motives, especially people I know only through a screen name on a website

Let me explain why I am having a hard time doing that now. While you've seen me posting on deer numbers on the Bowsite for the past few months I have been devoting many hours of my time at the expense of my business because over nearly 2 years because I could not ignore the evidence of mismanagement of the CT deer herd. I spent months trying to get an honest discussion going with Scott Williams and the CT DEEP only to be put off, ignored or ridiculed. Everyone who has posted on or read the threads from when I posted notice about a FLIR survey for Redding has seen the kind of childish comments Scott Williams has directed at me, then at anyone who dared question his numbers or his study. The more evidence I and others presented that he was wrong the more juvenile his comments became.

When you have as much experience in dealing with a person as I have over the past year and change you become aware of how that person speaks and especially key phrases they use over and over. Now it may just be coincidence but when you throw out "tin-foil hats" and other comments along those lines it is like I'm sitting at a table and Scott Williams is smirking on the other side. The same guy who after slinking off with his tail between his legs when he was shown to be 100% wrong about the Vision Air surveys now appears to crawl out from under his rock long enough to fling a few rocks at the passing traffic.

If Scott Williams has something to say he can man up and put some skin in the game. He can stop hiding behind you or anyone else and put his name on his words.

And by the way, the last comment towards Bob about deer in the NW corner of CT didn't help convince me you're not posting for Scott Williams. That was exactly the kind of childish crap he flings when he's got nothing to back up his claims and he knows it.

12-Mar-15
Glen, I commend you for putting alot of time and money into proving the DEEP wrong as ive never seen a hunter actually go through all that. My thoughts since you asked are I have no idea on numbers ive never hunted down there. I agree with alittle of what everyone is saying about good pockets of deer and the DEEP counting the way they do. However, I also believe that your flir count may have missed some deer, how many, who knows? The population is lower according to downward harvest trends thats for sure. I do believe though that with WB gone (hopefully) your deer population will increase due to no WB, unhuntable private land with no permission, and hunters who decided they will shoot less then they did in the past. I also felt that your flir study should have been done later in the evening to give all the deer a chance to leave thick cover and head to more open woods but maybe that wasnt possible? IDK? The big fact in all this is that the DEEP wants a very low deer density in FF county so I dont think they will stop the way it is now no matter what you present them with.

12-Mar-15
airrow, I can say 100% shawn is not scott Williams and to my knowledge he has never met or spoke to him. Shawn and I hunt together often. I'm sure shawn can speak for him self tho....

12-Mar-15
Glen...I don't know what else to tell you...I've never met the guy, talked to the guy, txt the guy and am not FB friends with him. Every post that has been put up here under the user name shawn_in_MA has been directly from me, they are my ideas and my words. I agree completely that if he has something to say then he should come out and say it, but he is certainly not hiding behind me. The funcionality of this board is not as familiar to me as some other New England hunting boards that I frequent and moderate on otherwise I would link you to some of the threads I have posted on over the years, but if you go back and look I have been posting here since 2005...long before the CAES grant and WB discussions. We've had these pissing matches for as long as I can remember (prolly around 2009) they were all the same. I was very vocal in most of them, as were you. Remember the one between Ace and Ben?

I have a hard time just sitting here while you start thread after about the same nonsense. Your logic is flawed as has been shown, even Mike seems to agree with me on that. Extrapolating a dpsm for a town off of harvest figures for that town based on the harvest figures from another town that had survey done that YOU Hope/Believe to be accurate is LUDICROUS. You sit back and smile every time you start one of these threads knowing full well it's going to get me or someone else who can't sit back and put up with the bs fired up.

I can respect the time and effort and money you've dumped into all of this...but I certainly don't have to agree with you on it. the best thing that could happen would to see these nonsense threads get deleted as soon as they get posted. JMO

12-Mar-15
Glen, I can also vouch for Shawn... he has been a member of Bowsite for some time. Not that you know me or my word means anything, just letting you know I also know Shawn. He's a great outdoorsman and a hell of a shot with a bow. Other than that yes, he's a little weird. Jk Shawn :)

13-Mar-15
shawn and spike

the point of my last post was to say that people like Glen are doing more than just coming to this site and whining, they're doing something to CHANGE the process and improve their sport. It bothers me that other hunters would find these posts a waste of their time, or the data is wrong, or just don't care.

As for the part where I say - "I got mine and who cares about you" was intended for those people on the site who shot 12 deer in FF county, so if you weren't one of them, then please ignore.

• Sitka Gear