RutNut@work 17-Mar-15
FullDraw2015 18-Mar-15
SteveD 18-Mar-15
Novemberforever 19-Mar-15
Naz 22-Mar-15
Steve White 27-Mar-15
Naz 27-Mar-15
12-Mar-15
have to buy my patron license tomorrow, so about this farmland tag I am going to get,,,,, I understand I have to designate public or private, but do I have to choose what county I am going to hunt?

seems stupid to me, why don't they just ask you, when you do the call in registration,,,,,,,,,

am I correct on this or not.......

seems to me, also that now we are going to have different seasons in different counties in the future?

I thought we were going to simplify the rules?????

12-Mar-15
Yes, you have to designate the county.

12-Mar-15
well who ever came up with that is an idiot..... when I am not up north I am here in the N Kettle Moraine, and I am on the border of Washington Co, and Sheboygan Co, what is the reason for that......

I mean whatever dope came up with that, must strictly hunt private land,,,,,,,

boy my opinion of this whole process, is its now run by a bunch of dopes

so I switch stands, and I am only a few hundred yards away, and now in another county....

talk about brain dead ideas,,,,,,,,,

they just want more tag money, its that simple......

12-Mar-15
Razor, Dr. Deer, the DTR guys and the dnr came up with it. It's intended to better micro manage the deer and opportunities by county, by property, public and private. This also ties into public Dmap. I like it as imo this will give the public land guy a break from the private land guys. For some it will mean having many $12 tags from different counties in the coat pocket. S/b plenty of room with all that $$$ gone.:)

12-Mar-15
November is correct, DNR certainly didn't ask for this. The reason you need to designate county is because each county will have a "limited" quota (though in ag counties most will not even sell the entire allotment of permits, which is what is frustrating and why you are right to be ticked).

12-Mar-15
Its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ we just talked about this in the past 2 hours, shooting archery league,,,,,, most are fed up, there going to do what they want, this micro management is bullshit,,,,,

give me a break,,,, public dmap, are you kidding me,,,,,,,

I hunt private land in 3 counties that are tied together, so I will just have to buy 3 doe tags......

I stand by what I said, a bunch of dopes cames up with this, and I can bet, most to not even hunt, except for a few days a year

12-Mar-15
That's a real kick in the pants for guys that hunt/own land in 2 different counties.

The good thing is that you get 2 tags and can designate 2 different areas.

Still not right!

12-Mar-15
There will be a frenzy when the window for doe tags open in august. Better have multiple internet devices ready.

12-Mar-15
you don't get two tags, because I just got my license, I got one tag, which I had to designate for private land, and the county.......

talk about a screw job, I have no idea of where I am hunting most of the time, depend on winds and weather, and etc,,,,,,,,

you do not get 2 tags, at least that is what I was told

12-Mar-15
Isnt it 1 for bow and 1 for gun?

12-Mar-15
razor, thanks for pointing this out. It is possible in my situation to arrow a doe and have it run across the road into Washington County from Ozaukee County. It could open a whole can of worms. Yikes! Probably would not be a big deal but, who needs the headache.

It's like last weekend, I set tip ups for crappie on an area lake and was reminded by some guys that game fishing was over for the ice fishing season. Told the guys I was targeting larger pan fish hoping to pick up crappies or large perch. Guys said don't let the warden see the size of those minnows. I had small shiners. Never gave it a second thought. Then again, I never ice fished that late before. It has gotten so complicated, it makes you not even want to go. Put the ice gear away after that!

12-Mar-15
I bought my patron's license last week and was asked to designate public or private and the county for two antlerless tags. Razor if you bought a patron's they should have given you two choices.

12-Mar-15
The gal at the DNR told me I get 2 antlerless tags and I have to designate private or public and the county in the central farmland I want to use them in. I am thinking that I will buy over the counter for private land in Waupaca county and designate my 2 for Private land in Marathon.

I can't remember when they've ever run out of antlerless tags in Wauapca county.

13-Mar-15
Smart move mike, waupaca will never sell out.

13-Mar-15
Some exciting numbers will come out of hunters declaring a county a) the dnr will know hunter density by county b) its possible that some counties dnr antletless quotas will be consumed by hunter designated tag choice on public or private land for that county leaving none for sale in august. If you hunt multiple counties some homework needs to be done prior to declaring. I e waupaca county never sells out vs. another county that sold out last year. The Wdnr could also publish hunter success by county on bucks and by county, by public vs. private for antlerless. You think land prices are going opposite directions now? Wiat till these stats get published.

13-Mar-15
Razor said ..."well who ever came up with that is an idiot..... when I am not up north I am here in the N Kettle Moraine, and I am on the border of Washington Co, and Sheboygan Co, what is the reason for that"

I here what he says but.....I had the same issue with the Unit set up. I deer hunt all private land and have permission on properties in 4 different units. Some are 10 minutes apart some are just across the road. For me the county lines are better. And I don't see what "up north" has to do with anything. We have county lines here too. Get a tag for each county and be done. At least you can get a tag...NOT here "up north". If I want a doe tag I need to drive 150 miles to land that I can hunt.

13-Mar-15
Deer herd in North is way down, yet some want to shoot does. Just buy an extra tags if you want to shoot more does. Last time I shot a doe I didn't sleep for a week and That was in Waupaca co. But I do like to eat them.

13-Mar-15
How do some of you suggest they manage public/private lands differently without doing this? It's a pain in the ass for me also as I hunt all public land near home in Chippewa/Rusk counties. But I hunt only private in Pierce county. The way public land has been getting pounded, especially by those that own land but shoot does on public. This needed to be done.

13-Mar-15
November, this will change land prices? We've known deer harvest by county and sex for decades. So much depends on how big the county is (or more accurately, how many square miles of deer range). DNR has decades of unit by unit deer kill per square mile of range data. For example, in 80B (southern Door and Kewaunee) many times we shot 20-30 deer square mile (range), yet there are guys who if you told them that they'd say there weren't even that many deer pre-hunt. Yet these were all actual dead deer brought to stations and hunter names in a book. Imagine the distrust of "DNR" when it's all call-in or internet registration.

10, wardens (if even called) would use common sense discretion. They can follow tracks in the snow, or blood, to see where a deer was shot if needed. Same could happen if hunting edge of public/private. Again, wardens will use common sense discretion. If you're a nice guy and not trying to hide something, nothing to worry about. If you're a jack to the warden and have had past run-ins, I'd expect a pretty thorough search to make sure your story lines up. Overall though a non-issue for 99.99 percent of the deer that'll be shot.

Many people for years have asked for public/private separation, with fewer public tags. Same with "micro-management" and "local control." See how the DNR can't win, no matter what is done? I agree it's a cluster in some ways, and not simplifying the regs or even "putting the fun back" as some charged the DNR to do. But it's a step in the right direction, IMO, long overdue for the public land hunter.

13-Mar-15
Agree, Naz. This is a different approach to the management we have had in the past. There is virtually no one who will now argue that the northern deer herd really needs immediate attention, yet we have some people who still complain. I suspect those complaints stem from a personal inconvenience?

While there will be some nay-sayers regardless what the department attempts to do, this will hopefully be a win for the herd in general, along with those who hunt the north. Only time will tell but the one thing we know for sure is that what was being done was not working.

13-Mar-15
Naz, land prices north of hwy 8 are stagnant or declining vs. great deer hunting counties which are climbing fast. Know anyone with a private chunk up north who is now fearful of grouse hunting, taking the kids for a logging road walk? Not to mention seeing hardly any deer while hunting as they pounded 2 extra hours of driving having past the best deer hunting with no wolves at the last pee stop.

13-Mar-15
I agree gas prices/distance are a factor, as well as whether or not someone wants to truly get away from it all, and loves to fish. A lot going on there. The busyness of life certainly doesn't help. A lot of folks seem to want to be closer to home, thus WI Dells being #1 in WI for tourist mecca, and Door County #2. Land prices even though stagnant or declining in the north are certainly far more expensive than they were years ago. I can remember $300-$500 an acre in U.P. in late 80s. Today that's been purchased and a lot is leased out. If there's great habitat anywhere, north or south, it'll still command big $.

13-Mar-15
well all I can say is this.... I will be at a deer show this weekend in the kettle, this pm I was training dogs, and talking to a lot of guys.........

no one likes this at all,,,,, I mean come on, I have no problem with the farmland area. but now I have t buy 3 tages, for one doe, its only about $$$$$$$$$$$

here is a simple solution,,,,,, the dnr wants the data, AFTER YOU KILL A DEER, so why not just let me tell you where it was killed, either private or public, and in which legal county......

and for the poster who talked about the north, this has nothing to do with the north,

talk about micro bs..... and who voted on this I know I did not..... I went to the meetings, they had no intrest in what you had to say....

from what I have seen so far, I like the old stystem, at least with the CC you had some voice.......

Walker for sportsmen,,,,,, I can not believe I fell for that bullshit......

The public land hunter is going to get screwed

14-Mar-15
This way it will hopefully keep some from buying and filling multiple tags on public lands.

14-Mar-15
you might be right Rut, but I do not see it that way,

well what can I say, no one cares about the average guy in this whole cluster anyway,,,,, I will take what I get, but well,,,,,,,,,,

I would not waste my time going to another CC meeting, CDAC MEETING, NRB MEETING, PERIOD,,,,,, I AM DONE

14-Mar-15
Razor, I actually see this as a move FOR the average guy. Sure it sucks now, change usually does. But change is what is needed for better public land management.

14-Mar-15
Well Rut I will be the first to admit if am wrong, we will see........ your a good guy...

14-Mar-15
100% rut. Ban deer drives, party hunting, baiting and the public land guys is happy.

14-Mar-15
Party hunting is definitely something that needs to go.

15-Mar-15
last nite was a outdoor banquet,,,,, we talked to a odma board member, a cdac member, and a dnr guy.

what they said, about this, is they need the data,,,,, however the dnr guy said, yes we need the data, but the data does not mean anything to me, until you harvest a deer......

he also said, most public land hunters, hunt several counties, within the farmland area, and the decision to tell them initially where you will be at, is just not necessary

the other guys all private land hunters, to them they just shrugged their shoulders, and said, well this is what we came up with......

no one has explained to me, how this helps the public hunter.

I have 100 acres of private land to hunt, but I still hunt a lot of public,,,,,,,,,, I guess its just the principle of it all.....

I could not imagaine staying on the same 100 acres all season, but that is me, and not everyone likes to hunt the same.....

seems to me, these ideas come from private land owners, who go nowhere, except their own 40 or 80 the whole season....

if and when I have to hunt the south, I want to be able to hunt the county I want, and have the doe tag in my pocket,,,,,,,, I do not want to have to buy several tags, just to take a doe...........

it is so frustrating, from someone who hunts a lot,,,,

I was invited to a future cdac meeting to make my feelings known....... I am going, and I will have my information in order, maps etc......

last nite one member asked me, " the average guy is not going to hunt several counties",,,,,,,,,,

and this is a decision maker, I just shook my head

15-Mar-15
razor, imo the complicated process in itself will help. How you ask? If they have to jump through a few hoops and spend more money, some hunters will not do it. This alleviates pressure on public land and saves some deer.

15-Mar-15
Ban deer drives, party hunting, baiting and the public land guys is happy.

x 200,000

15-Mar-15
Rut - I hear what you say, but again, today I was at a local 3d shoot inside and outside trap shoot. none of the guys or gals like this,,,,,,, they all wanted the freedom to hunt what county they wanted, in the farmland area......... most said " heck I do not know in March where I am going to be hunting"

they also said, okay lets say I pick a certain county, how do I know what is available for tags in other counties this early, I do not know, since the posting is later in the year.....

for you guys hung up on deer drives,,,,,, a lot of farmers around my house, deer drives are very traditional, they hunt their farms, and neighbor farms, they have persmission on, so that is no bother,,,,,,

I have never been bothered by deer drives,,,, not my thing for gun season, but we use to kill a lot of nice deer with our bows doing drives....

as far as baiting, I agree would really help me, but with food plots on private land, not going to happen

again none of you have addressed the issue, why do we have to tell them at this point where are we going to hunt,,,,,

in the future it will be, "when are you going to pull the trigger"

it smells to me, ,,,,,,,,, as far as Dr Kroll, this guy hates public land anyway, so why would he have insight, in the state, with so much public land......

as a member of a state organization, who has met some of these north American whitetail guys, most hunt under a corn feeder, on private land,,,,,,

yeah those are the guys to listen too,,,,, what a joke

15-Mar-15
Razor your forced to now make a decision when your hunting in multiple counties but at least you have the doe numbers to give you the option. This IS all about the north and I'm guessing they had to make it state wide to not further confuse people. Its no secret in many big woods units w/ a lot of public land the "wagon wheel" affect is very real. There is a disproportionate amount of deer around lakes and towns - private lands and few deer in the big woods while all in the same unit. I hunt both private and public in the north and south. I'm all for this and will show kill numbers on private / public and help smooth this out w/o shrinking unit sizes and creating a mess. As CaptMike said at least they are trying something to fix this... More accurate kill numbers, a good 'ol fashion Thanksgiving morning deer drive - while party hunting of course, and I'm a happy public/private land hunter.

15-Mar-15
"however the dnr guy said, yes we need the data, but the data does not mean anything to me, until you harvest a deer......"

What data would there be if a deer was not harvested? Over the course of a year, there are plenty enough deer killed for the managers to collect sufficient data. If that DNR guy was implying that we need to kill more deer just so he can have data, then he is not following the DTR, which happens to now be law.

"he also said, most public land hunters, hunt several counties, within the farmland area, and the decision to tell them initially where you will be at, is just not necessary"

Again, the DTR is law. Why is an employee of the DNR trying to re-define what the current law is? Who was this guy?

15-Mar-15
"they all wanted the freedom to hunt what county they wanted, in the farmland area........."

Hunters have had the freedom to hunt wherever they wanted for quite a long time. We only need look to the North to see that hunters were not able to manage the herd. The "brown is down" guys killed without thought, to a point where the northern herd may take a long time to rebound, if it ever will.

"as a member of a state organization, who has met some of these north American whitetail guys, most hunt under a corn feeder, on private land,,,,,,"

Razor, have you ever deer hunted in TX? Do you have any idea what that brush country is like? The more open areas of TX are often hunted spot & stalk or over water. The thick brush country would be very difficult to hunt without bait. All TX hunters are not lazy, they have simply figured out how to hunt their area.

"again none of you have addressed the issue, why do we have to tell them at this point where are we going to hunt,,,,,"

Yes we have. It is so the herd can be better managed on a smaller level, to try and address the disparity of deer on public versus private land.

"yeah those are the guys to listen too,,,,, what a joke"

Are the good folks at your archery club better educated and informed to administer a hunting season across an entire state?

16-Mar-15
I have to be missing something,,,,,, in the farmland area, the doe numbers are sufficient, to harvest does, and so you get the tags.......

but why force me, to choose on which eligible county to hunt,,,,,,,

what you are saying, then, by doing so early, the data will be better on finding out who is hunting where.....

well its done and done, I just do not see it, but if its for the good of the whole herd, then I will have to see,,,,,

as far as the north is concerned, their still going to let young hunters up thru 17 kill does, and another 10,000 will be shot, just like last year, and I bet a lot will be killed on group hunts, and I see no reason for that to continue

I wish I could go to the deer classic next sat in Random Lake, and ask this question, but I will be out west shooting snow geese......

16-Mar-15
Razor, not positive but I think youth doe shooting in the north might be addressed and not allowed this coming season. Regarding group bagging, I agree with you 100%. I believe the reason to control doe tags in the farmland zone is to better control the disparity that exits between different properties, public or private. Good luck shooting geese, I leave this morning to do the same.

16-Mar-15
My last point on this Capt Mike, I know a lot about Texas, I understand, how they hunt, and why they have to hunt at times, under feeders etc, but its that background, of strictly private land management, that you bring in, for answers, on public land for the north?????

That is what I did not get,,,,,,,

I have an open mind, and I hope this new DTR is going to work, and it will for private land holdings, but nothing is being done in this program for the north,,,,,,

without predator control, and forestry practices changes, none of this has been addressed as far as I know.........

I would also like to see a larger warden force, because poaching is out of control.... and I would let the wardens go after the big cases and the real problems, and not worry about the little things, that they have to deal with,

16-Mar-15
I hope the biggest thing this helps to alleviate is the guys that own land but do drives on public to fill multiple tags. If it keeps some people out of the woods, then so be it. Contrary to what many groups want you to think, we don't need to add scores of hunters to our numbers. We need to add quality individuals that hunt. The ones that will not hunt due to something like this, are probably exactly the kind we don't need.

16-Mar-15
razor, Capt. Mike is right, new rules will allow DNR to make youth licenses for antlerless deer good only in counties with a quota.

Also, as for the 10,000 number that has been thrown around a lot. At last month's NRB meeting, it was stated that in 2014 youths age 10 to 17 tagged 3,277 antlerless deer in units with no antlerless quotas ("buck-only" areas). That was over about 13,000 square miles, or about one doe/fawn killed every 2,500+ acres.

While I agree buck-only should mean just that, one baldy killed every four square miles on youth tags kind of puts it all into perspective vs. the incorrect and much larger sounding "10,000 does" number.

16-Mar-15
End party hunting and I have no issues with "youth tags"

17-Mar-15
new info from the ??////DNR yesterday.... we went to a DNR station, and they told us, something that no one at Fleet Farm knew....

The lady at the DNR told me, when you buy your CP license, you are to get 2 Farmland tags. They are free and they are good in any farmland area, not weapon specific, HOWEVER, if you get the NOW, you have to pick the county and private or public......

HOWEVER, if you do not want to make that decision now, you can wait, till the quotas of available tags come out, then you can get those same farmland tags, but they will costs 2.00

after that additional tags are 12.00........

17-Mar-15
Thx razor, that really clears it up. :)

17-Mar-15
Naz wow, an actual youth hunt kill number from the north. Is the witch hunt finally over? Luckily we can still the hunt for the needle in the haystack - uncle Jim shooting little Johnnies doe.

17-Mar-15
Naz-" At last month's NRB meeting, it was stated that in 2014 youths age 10 to 17 tagged 3,277 antlerless deer in units with no antlerless quotas ("buck-only" areas)."

Naz, I just added all the antlerless taken in the "no doe" northern counties taking out Marinette county entirely as it was split between farmland and northern no buck.. Total antlerless taken were 6,184 less the Nrb stated youth kill of 3,277=2,907 mystery antlerless taken? Who legally harvested almost 3,000 extra antlerless in the "no doe" north?Dmap properties? Idk how that is possible. fyi, the Dnr publishes the youth archery antlerless but does not publish the gun/ml/late season youth kill. That seems odd.Does anyone have a logical explanation for the mystery 2,907 antlerless taken? I had heard rumors that wardens were not ticketing hunters who filled farmland doe tags in the northern zone out of ignorance to the rules? If that is true, the dnr has no interest in building the northern herd. Were predation permits counted in the mystery 2,907? I just checked both predation programs and a whopping 71 permits were issued in these counties. I also find it interesting that youth in the 10 week vertical/xbow/no party hunting season took 914 antlerless yet during the 9 day gun/party hunting season took 2363 antlerless or 72% of the "youth" antlerless harvest.

17-Mar-15
Well I can assure you, Kelly in Florence Co would not have given a warning, if you were that stupid to use a farmland tag there,,,,,,,,

Otherwise November, you are spot on

17-Mar-15
Florence county has at least 160 mystery antlerless registered. With an easy winter the non youth mystery 2,900 antlerless registered would = an extra 6,000 vertical deer on 6/15/15. No big deal?

17-Mar-15
Here is what Naz and many do not get.... I do not care about myself, I have shot a lot of nice deer, I trying to educate the youth on conservation, and I I think Leopold will be rolling over in his grave....

the kids I know in hs in Florence have shot a lot of deer, and their attitude is hey old man, you shoot a bow, that is out of touch, and if the dnr lets us shoot fawns, we are going to do so,,,,,,, I know I talk to them,,,,,

they learn nothing about conservation from school, the dnr, etc,,,,,,

most of these young people, have no discipline instilled in them,,,,,,, they are given what they want, when they want it,,,,,, that is the bottom line,,,,,,

we are raising a generation of hunters, that its all about me, and nothing about the actual results of their actions, on the overall conservation efforts

we have so many adults, that have never learned to say no

17-Mar-15
Razor, IMO you're being way too general … the same could be said of adults who don't respect the DNR or regulations, and have questionable ethics. There are many youths raised right. It's all in the mentoring. Who taught the "me first" kids, or are they raising themselves?

17-Mar-15
razor, great post and spot on. But what do you really expect when you have lawmakers, the DNR, and hunting groups pushing for making it all easier. Add to that parents that feel guilty about not spending time with their kids. So when they do, everything HAS to be a kill to be a success...

18-Mar-15
Sure kids are spoiled today in a lot of ways. What do you expect out of a generation that is growing up with instant access to anything? Agree though that you can't lump all the kids together. Naz is also spot on about the adults who are supposed to be setting the standards and raising the bar, not lowering it. Judging by what you see in the taverns come gun season, there's still a lot of lowering going on.

18-Mar-15
The "Me First" attitude is being taught/ perpetuated by the the legislature/feel good politics and various groups who see dollar signs behind all the rhetoric about getting the youth involved etc. and the folks who run with this rhetoric. We have gone way overboard for the youth and its time to pull it the reigns in with all the special treatment. So were to believe that junior Jake or Jenny wont ever hunt unless they are allowed special tags and seasons,sheesh folks get real. Yes, many adults no nothing about conservation agreed,the problem will worsen even more by creating a sense on entitlement with the youth of todays hunting pc world.

Razorheads analogy is right to the point,like wise RutNut.

19-Mar-15
So nobody here has a logical explanation for the 2900 non "youth tag" party hunted antlereless that were dumped in the "buck only" northern zone? Funny, nice email to the dnr breaking down the kill to the mystery 2900 doe. 3 days, tick, tock, tick, no response. Naz? Cmike? No answer? The dnr hopes to let this stat fly right over the uninformed hunter

22-Mar-15

Naz 's Link
MARCH MADNESS (aka basketball and spring fishing) so not on here as much as usual. I don't have any idea how many disabled permits there are but I'd guess it's in the 10-20K range. Definitely were some ag/forest depredation permits out there as well.

Looks like it could get a lot easier to get a disabled permit in the future. AB112 would allow physician assistants and advanced practice nurse prescribers to also make determinations. The bill was read and referred to Committee on Natural Resources and Sporting Heritage (linked).

27-Mar-15
All this garbage is really going to do is help perpetuate the "MY DEER" attitude held by many.

Really that is more like what it is now. Guy with a few acres bordering public lands. Can shoot a doe, yet the guy on the public land cannot. So essentially those does are his deer!

27-Mar-15
In units with permits available, there will be an opportunity for anyone to purchase a permit. In buck-only units, the private guy won't be any better off than the public. It's a better system than the free-for-all in the past, IMO, esp. since all we ever read here was how public was over hunted and held far fewer deer than private. Nothing's perfect, but who better than a diverse local group of stakeholders to decide tag distribution between public and private land in their county?

• Sitka Gear