By E-mail:

[email protected]

16-Mar-15
Environment Committee

Connecticut General Assembly

Legislative Office Building

300 Capitol Ave

Hartford, CT 06106

Re: H.B. No.6034 AN ACT AUTHORIZING BOW AND ARROW HUNTING ON CERTAIN PRIVATE PROPERTY ON SUNDAYS.

Distinguished Members of the Environmental Committee:

I am writing in support of H.B 6034. Connecticut's Sunday hunting ban is simply an antiquated blue law that needs to be repealed.

The Sunday hunting ban is an outright infringement on property owners rights that prevents us from enjoying our property.

Employment or school requires most hunters to work or study from Monday to Friday and this leaves only Saturday for hunting. This means hunters have only 16 days out of the year. Once you add inclement weather, family obligations and other family or work activities, this really leaves no available time for hunting. Allowing Sunday hunting will increase the opportunities we have to enjoy the outdoors and sport we love an additional 16 days.

Connecticut hunters donate to Hunt to Feed. Hunt to Feed is an organization that donates venison to the less fortunate. According to the CT Food Bank, more than 390,000 Connecticut residents are struggling today with hunger. Each deer donated by hunters can yield 200 meals.

Members of the Environmental Committee,

I am asking you to defend landowner rights by allowing landowners to determine who, where, when, and what activities should occur on our properties.

It is ridiculous that an activity that is SAFE and LEGAL 6 days of the week is illegal one day.

Sincerely,

Name: Town or City:

16-Mar-15
Unfortunately bill 6034 has the poison pill language in it.

Does anyone know if this is this the only Sunday Hunting bill being raised this year.

Are they going to propose a clean bill, or is this it.

I can't support this one.

In order to get Sunday Hunting in a particular zone we would have to argue that the zone is "over populated" with deer. Anyone here but Doc Williams willing to make that argument?

16-Mar-15
Thanks crow you made it easy for us..

16-Mar-15
Done, sent my email.

16-Mar-15
My testimony is in.

16-Mar-15
sent mine e mail

17-Mar-15
If anyone feels that they can't support this bill exactly as written you may want to consider doing what I did.

I sent an email (to [email protected]) in support of Sunday Hunting.

I told them that I see it as a Private Property Rights issue and removing the last Archaic CT Blue Law.

I didn't mention a specific bill.

In addition, I encourage to send 2 additional emails. One asking that they Keep the Pheasant hunting program, and another asking them not to close Kensington Fish Hatchery.

17-Mar-15
Ace,

I think we should get more specific than that and cite the exact language we want removed from the proposed bill and why. The exact language they are proposing is available on the CT legislative website. That is probably what I will do.

If we are too generic they will probably assume we support the bill as written.

Honestly based on what people write here concerning declining populations and the desire to eliminate replacement doe tags, I can't see how anyone who believes this can also turn around and support this bill as written. They are completely inconsistent positions to take.

17-Mar-15
Ace,

I think we should get more specific than that and cite the exact language we want removed from the proposed bill and why. The exact language they are proposing is available on the CT legislative website. That is probably what I will do.

If we are too generic they will probably assume we support the bill as written.

Honestly based on what people write here concerning declining populations and the desire to eliminate replacement doe tags, I can't see how anyone who believes this can also turn around and support this bill as written. They are completely inconsistent positions to take.

17-Mar-15
If the proposed bill passes, some people might hunt on Sundays but not take any more deer than they would have if they'd had just 6 days per week to hunt.

I support the concept of Sunday Hunting in General. If this bill is the best that can be passed, at least it's a start.

17-Mar-15
I won't support anything that is not state wide. You control numbers of herds with limits on take, not by more or less days in the field.

CTCrow's message is perfect, and I concur.

17-Mar-15
Ace,

The language specifically says that Sunday Hunting will only be permitted in management areas that are "over populated" with deer.

What management areas are we comfortable agreeing are "over populated" with deer. If this passes as is we are going to be put in a position of lobbying the DEEP that the entire state is "over populated". How does this work when many are lobbying at the same time for a reduction in tags?

This bill puts us in a no win situation.

17-Mar-15
When they passed S.B.1160 AN ACT CONCERNING GUN VIOLENCE PREVENTION AND CHILDREN'S SAFETY, I didn't care and I did not stood against the bill because I din't have an AR15 and I did not have any mags that held more than 10 rounds. It didn't affect me at all.

17-Mar-15
Crow, not sure your point.

Currently this is a bad bill all around, but with some tweaking it could be a good bill. What I am saying is not to support this bill by writing a generic letter about how the Sunday Hunting ban is bad and violates private property rights, yadda, yadda.

The letters should be specific, address the proposed language that is bad, and ask that the bad language be fixed before it passes committee.

By the way, two years ago, a good bill passed the committee with ease, in fact I think it passed through the committee with at least as much support and maybe more, than last year's bad bill did.

17-Mar-15
Crow, not sure your point.

Currently this is a bad bill all around, but with some tweaking it could be a good bill. What I am saying is not to support this bill by writing a generic letter about how the Sunday Hunting ban is bad and violates private property rights, yadda, yadda.

The letters should be specific, address the proposed language that is bad, and ask that the bad language be fixed before it passes committee.

By the way, two years ago, a good bill passed the committee with ease, in fact I think it passed through the committee with at least as much support and maybe more, than last year's bad bill did.

17-Mar-15
Several Sunday Hunting bills were introduced this year. The one is question is the one they've moved forward with.

If you're holding out for perfect it may be a long wait.

Have you been lobbying you State Rep and State Senator to introduce, and support a bill worded the way you'd like to see it written?

You can make any and all suggestions about wording and changes that you'd like to make.

Or you can bellyache that it's an imperfect bill and take your ball and go home.

17-Mar-15
Not holding out for perfect bill, but I would like a bill that is not counter productive or counter intuitive to most of the comments you see here about what hunters want and don't want.

Yes I have lobbied my congressmen and senator and will continue to do so. Historically both in my district have been supported. We do have a new Rep, but he is a republican so I am hopeful.

18-Mar-15
Who is at the top this year and would call it for a vote if it gets there? That's the only one that maters ? Steve

18-Mar-15
82 people said yes to sunday hunting thread but only 5 have submitted testimony thus far.

If you need me to do it for you, just type your name and town here and I'll do it for you.

18-Mar-15
Done

18-Mar-15
interesting eh bud..i can relate..lol

18-Mar-15
sent it

18-Mar-15
They can regulate crossbow hunting across the board and pass into law without debate and move Opening Day trout season up a week in a blink of an eye, but they can't get a legit Sunday hunting bill written or passed. Hell, they can't even get it called to the floor in both House & Senate in the same session. I don't care if its apples and oranges, the whole process sucks and is out of whack. I'll send the letter to the Environment Committee, along with my State Rep, Congressperson and Senator... reluctantly. This verbiage about over populated areas is simple nonsense. For me, who hunts Zone 3, 4a and 9, I would like to have the opportunity to hunt private land on Sunday. Not to say I would or wouldn't, just to have the opportunity to. Not because of ticks, overpopulation, car accidents, crop damage or any type of herd management crap. There shouldn't reason or explanation why I want hunt Sunday, period. I'll play along with the dog and pony show, support my fellow hunters to the south, but whoever decided to write, co-sponsor and support this bill is clueless. So there's that...

(Sent Crow's template)

18-Mar-15
Sent in conditional support provided the language is amended.

18-Mar-15
Steve has the right thought process. It makes no difference to send a letter to your rep. etc.....the person that calls it to the floor is the ONLY person that matters. And it will fall on deaf ears unless you have some deep pockets.

18-Mar-15
My Rep is a democrat and every time I write, I ask him to lobby for the bill and to talk to leadership. If you have a democrat senator or Rep, I suggest you tell them to talk to leadership about it.

18-Mar-15
CTCROW: Thank you for mentioning our Hunt To Feed Program. Hopefully it will catch some attention. The program was started by WhiteTail Solutions and has been very successful. All funds were raised by our group's efforts and with some donations from area clubs and individuals. A lot of folks supported our Pluck A Buck at various Hunting shows which in turn contributed to paying for the processing of deer donated by hunters across the state. We have received Nonprofit status from the Feds and now we need donations from everyone including corporations for the program to continue. Hopefully the state will allow a checkoff donation through the license sales for funding Hunt To Feed in the future. A great program that is a win for hunters and the hungry of our state! Jim Stowe WTS

18-Mar-15
Sent

19-Mar-15
sent mine this morning

19-Mar-15

Ace's Link
Here is a link to all the Testimony.

If you write, please remember that it all becomes a part of the Public Record.

If you have a problem with the wording of this bill, I suggest that you read what Mark Clavette (Certified Wildlife Biologist) wrote.

19-Mar-15
Read through some of the testimony. It seems like all the people against gestation crates and Sunday hunting got one big form letter and emailed it off.

20-Mar-15
The anti-hunters are putting out an outright lie regarding bow hunter safety. There hasn't been ONE single recorded incident of a non hunter being injured by a bow hunter in over a century of record keeping.

20-Mar-15
If we cant hunt on sundays then the animal lovers shouldnt be allowed to bird watch on sundays and should have to buy a license

20-Mar-15
AN outright lie....hell, the way the bill is written now, it is for private property only. By stating that they are concerned about getting shot by an arrow, they are all but admitting that they are trespassing.

20-Mar-15
It is funny to read some of the testimony from some of the stupid people.

Reasons to opose sunday hunting:

1. as an avid hiker I want to stay alive

2. because I want my one day of peace in the woods

3. the more deer hunters kill, the more deer there are

4. I might want to take long picnics in the woods

23-Mar-15
With regard to Sunday hunting, those of us who hike, mountain bike, ski etc. in the woods should be able to do so without encountering hunters in the woods. It is a terrible idea to have people with guns in the woods along with families participating in recreational activities. Please OPPOSE HB 6043.

WHAT???

23-Mar-15
What pisses me off is the contention that Bowhunting is in-humane.. The anti-hunting groups have will say anything to get their way.

23-Mar-15
Must have been Rosanne Rosanna Danna,.................NEVER MIND!

23-Mar-15
it amazes me on how many people fail to recognize the words PRIVATE PROPERTY...are people really truly that f@*@in dumb

23-Mar-15
YES. And then some.

24-Mar-15
Sent yesterday!

• Sitka Gear