razorhead 24-May-15
dbl lung 24-May-15
happygolucky 25-May-15
Turkeyhunter 12-Jun-15
>>>--arrow1--> 12-Jun-15
Bowster 12-Jun-15
RutNut@work 03-Jul-15
17-Mar-15
What all habitat improvements do you guys have in mind for this year? I'm planting crab apples myself.

17-Mar-15
More caged crabs/apples, 600 pieces of speckled alder, sumac, dogwood vareities. foodplot prep, treestand maintenance. plant the new berm.

17-Mar-15
I'm also putting in a bunch of bayberry for cover. We'll see how that pans out.

17-Mar-15
Planting trees, cutting brush, two more water holes, new tripod stand in orchard, a few more ladderstand to set up, 5 acres of plots.

17-Mar-15
Clearing the existing trails, more hinge cutting. Plus a few foodplots.

19-Mar-15
small bridge, trim trees. Help grandpa do whatever he has planned. Food plots of course.

20-Mar-15
Killing buckthorn, tree trimming, killing buckthorn, caging small oaks, killing buckthorn, planting chestnuts, killing buckthorn ..... ;-)

20-Mar-15
Big plans for next weekend. Cut out ironwoods, and do a couple more hinge cuts. Take logs from last years hinge cuts and ironwoods to make corduroy "bridges" in a couple low spots. Lots of trees to plant but too early for that. Also will do 60# of snack sticks in the big smoker

20-Mar-15
Sag,

Good luck with the buckthorn. That stuff is pure evil.

20-Mar-15
Finishing my wheeler trails, expanding my 1st food plot, dozing 2 more openings for an orchard and 2nd plot then planting those, have about 20 fruit trees on order to plant, made a mineral lick, may try to make a swamp plot, and a very small secluded water hole. Plus whatever else I have time to do.

20-Mar-15
Over seeded portions of the trails with clover at the end of February.

Corrective pruning of oaks. Planted thousands of oaks over the years and before too long the acorn factory will start-up production.

20-Mar-15
Planting trees, hinge cutting,working new and existing plots hanging new stands

21-Mar-15
Planting trees, mostly shrubs this year, food plots, two more water tanks, changing out some stands for larger platforms, and putting up first tripod stand in a spot with no trees big enough for stand.

21-Mar-15
I have been having great luck with Prairie Crab for wildlife. They are prolific crab apple producers. The turkey will fly up and eat the apples all winter. The deer will sit underneath and pick up the mess. And, in the spring, Cedar Waxwings and Robins will feed on remaining fruit (I would rather they come to my place and eat crab apples then fly in from a distance with intestines full of buckthorn seeds!).

21-Mar-15

Novemberforever's embedded Photo
Novemberforever's embedded Photo
more woodie boxes in.

21-Mar-15
Building a small atv bridge and invasive removal. The never-ending battle!

21-Mar-15
Building a small atv bridge and invasive removal. The never-ending battle!

21-Mar-15
If you build boxes, they will come! A true success story for sure!

21-Mar-15
Stumping an expanded food plot, Clover on some logging roads, top dress clover and alfalfa, prepping food plots for fall annuals. Watching the logged areas grow back thick.

05-May-15
Food plots are in... The earliest for me, I think ever. My neighbor's son is heading back to school and wanted to get them plowed and disk before he left. He finished on Friday evening, I took over on Saturday and Sunday.

I put in 4 plots in total: A white clover plot, a corn and soybean plot, Buck and Bird mix from Deer Creek Seed and a acre plot of a strip of each from Deer Creek Seeds: Frosty Delight, Succulent Succotash and Primetime Brassica.

Lime and Fertilizer - a total of 1400 lbs.

I did all of the above with a 1996 ATV, very, very old Springtooth, an over the shoulder hand spreader, a a bucket to hand spread the fertilizer and Lime. Oh, I did drive my truck over the corn and soybeans to help compact them deeper into the soil.

On Sunday evening we got a 1/2" of rain, more last night! Perfect timing.

If I can do it anyone can! BC

05-May-15
Where to begin on my new 90 acres which was had one cutting ever and a single trail running the center of the land.

- taking the area from the 1 cutting that is most open and cutting/clearing it more to create a food plot which will be planted for fall. I will be getting the soil sample this week to know what lime and fertilizer requirements I have. The exposed area was sprayed with Gly once but will be done again after all clearing and again after discing. This one area is around 1 acre.

- make a couple other "spot" plots around 1/4 acre.

- open some shooting lanes/trails for gun blinds and also for the deer to use.

- I have a forest stewardship plan and a contract with a forester for logging for the winter. Will hopefully get the trails I desire cut as part of that gig.

This is all I have time for for 2015. Been doing some work on the cabin too.

23-May-15

Turkeyhunter's embedded Photo
South-facing end of a tree plantation...

23-May-15

Planting a giant bird feeder...

24-May-15

happygolucky's embedded Photo
Cutting trails through the cedars.

24-May-15

Creating an opening for a food plot. More trees to drop, dozer work, and discing still to happen.

24-May-15
Happy,,, I am retired, although I work part time in summer,,,,, you ever need some help, just let me know, I can give you some manpower......

expect nothing in return, just like what your doing,,,,

fellow yooper

24-May-15
I was going to hinge cut a large area of Locust trees but my dad is now in the process of cutting them for firewood. I will have a large area of thick cover develop over the next few years hopefully. I will dump acorns, maple tree helicopters and black walnuts in the area to establish some better trees over the next few years.

Other then locust tree removal food plots will be a top priority. Turnips and mean bean crush in late July will be planted. The work never ends :)

25-May-15

Thanks razor. I've dragged my son along on a few trips. I have some friends with some equipment for down the road too. I just hope this first year does not kill me. Here is another trail cutting pic. This trail intersects the trail above. Each need to be cleared and extended in length by a lot. I hope to be able to plant in those trails someday.

12-Jun-15

Planted a strip of sunflowers almost three weeks ago.

They're coming on very nicely.

12-Jun-15
November I just have to ask ... The thread is,, Habitat improvements for this year? and you post ...."" treestand maintenance""

I guess I'm missing something,,, What the does treestand maintance have to do with habitat improvement ?

12-Jun-15
Ignore the troll Ron AKA >>>--arrow1-->

03-Jul-15
Spent the day on our land today clearing trails, hanging cameras, and spraying glyphosate on spots i'm prepping for fall plots. Great day in the woods with my son and a buddy.

• Sitka Gear