GF 28-Mar-15
Eatsvenison 29-Mar-15
airrow 29-Mar-15
bigbuckbob 29-Mar-15
treeman16 29-Mar-15
Eatsvenison 29-Mar-15
notme 29-Mar-15
18-Mar-15
I had an interesting conversation last year with an individual in DEEP law enforcement (I am respecting his request to remain anonymous) who told me that "hunters need to start fighting with everything they've got" against the goals of the CT DEEP in regards to deer management. This CO assured me that we are on course to a point where there will be 1 deer per hunter, per year in CT........ period.

The title of this thread should be self-explanatory; I'm not looking for comments, I don't need anyone to tell me "I'm nuts" (the responses to the survey threads covered that ground well). I'm putting it out there for you to do a screen shot of, print off, or somehow save in an envelope marked "Open 3 years from now". I'm telling you all if we do nothing, if we continue on our present course when you open that envelope you'll wake up-too late.

1 deer per hunter per year; that's where we're headed. It's your call if you want to stay on the train or not.

18-Mar-15
Do you mean population or one deer tag? How many hunters in CT?

18-Mar-15
I'm confused too. If you mean one tag, all seasons, all weapons....I'm in.

Can you expain what you mean?

18-Mar-15
I have spoken with Glen about this on many occasions over the last year. The bottom line is hunting will be very limited and the bag limit will be as follows:

One Tag will be issued to each hunter per year. The single deer may be taken by whatever implement the hunter chooses. Simply put it will be One and Done!

It appears to me that we are sealing our own fate in taking excessive numbers of deer and basing the justification to do so on the exaggerated deer numbers. Not if but hen we reach the point at which the population collapses the DEEP will then say "It wasn't us, you guys shot all the deer"

Think about it.

19-Mar-15
I don't think it will get to that .It might be that hunting all year you may only be able to shoot 1 deer. If the deep thought that now they should be cutting back bag limits they haven't changed at all. We need to do it are self's . Steve

19-Mar-15
I agree with airrow 100%. I've seen places in this state that once held plenty of deer and those same places today are barren, you can walk for miles in fresh snow and not see a single track.

Just look at the responses I get when I post that no one should shoot young bucks, or 6 doe each year! Some guys don't believe I see bucks that have 6-8 points at all. Why? Because they don't see them where they hunt. That tells me there are guys in there shooting skippers and doe all season long.

Or the guys that say they need 6-12 deer each year for food. Not saying it's wrong, but several guys on this site justify killing several deer each year for one reason or another, and it's legal.

I've said this for years - if we don't become more selective in what we harvest all areas of the state will continue to decline, and if you use the state's numbers as a guide you'll be opening that envelop in 3 years and saying "Why didn't I listen to guys like airrow?"

19-Mar-15
I'll take one deer a year. Imagine what our bucks would look like. Imagine how great it will be to see deer every time out. Imagine...

19-Mar-15
Airow, are you saying that the deer population will be that low? Therefore, the deep will change the bag limits to 1 deer per year?

If that happens then the deer herd should skyrocket once they implement 1 deer per year. Right?

19-Mar-15
The statewide bag limit has been over 10,000 for quite some time. Your CT meatpole thread and live hunt threads showed a ton of consistant sightings and bagged deer. CT has a ton of deer hence why out of staters go there to hunt. It wont get to that point any time soon because of all the non huntable private land to pump out the fawns each year. At worst I see you guys having the same crappy hunts we have here. I dont get how you can say the DEEP gives out too many tags but then say its only going to be one. I first hunted there in 1996 and had four tags in my pocket just like I would today and CT is still cranking out the numbers. If it happens it wont be anytime soon. Just remember, the hunters are their own keeper and its up to you/them to not let that happen

19-Mar-15
It'll never happen. Especially in zones 11&12. Their crying for us to kill as many deer as we can. Do you really think the towns hiring sharpshooters, and using tax payers dollars to pay for it would be happy with one deer per hunter?? I would love to see replacement tags done away with, and extra buck tags gone.. I would even love to see a minimum point restriction on bucks. 3 per side. But I doubt any of that will happen either.

19-Mar-15
"One Tag will be issued to each hunter per year. The single deer may be taken by whatever implement the hunter chooses. Simply put it will be One and Done!"

I do that in PA now and a lot of states do the same. Unfortunately that will never work with the current tagging system that we have. Also, this is just not the state where they will manage their deer herd like the midwest. Cant do it with the loss of habitat and population density in this state.

We have been spoiled in this state for a long time now. Seasons have been made longer (can now archery hunt straight through from mid Sept to Jan), bag limits have increased, weapons have modified (new bows, crossbows, in-line muzzleloaders, etc.) and now we are seeing the outcome.

19-Mar-15
Sorry double post

19-Mar-15
Can I shoot my one deer on Sunday?

19-Mar-15
No Crow, go to church and pray that you get one on Monday...LOL

19-Mar-15
I agree with Silverado. If anything, it might drop to 2 deer per hunter in the next 10 years.

I personally know hunters who are not reporting their deer kills. Makes me angry, but it's happening. The deep kill reports are WAY off. This will hurt deer herd

19-Mar-15
LMAO Good one Toby.

19-Mar-15
Not that I need any more reason to move but if they went to one deer, I would.

I like venison too much for that. Not that I kill a lot, 2-4 a year, but one just isn't enough venison to keep me happy.

19-Mar-15
It surprises me to hear the MA guys saying CT has lots of deer and the one tag will never happen, when they experienced the exact same situation that airrow is mapping out for CT,....kill lots of deer and in three years you have nothing left to shoot.

Can one of the MA guys explain why? If you say CT has lots of private land closed to hunting then how do you explain the Redding/Newtown/Etc issue going on now, where the FLIR documented that we're down to 7-8 dpsm and white buffalo is still out there shooting more?

19-Mar-15
One deer per season per hunter will only lead to more people not reporting deer kills. Of course if the herd is decimated to the point that the bag limit is set at one, then most hunters would be lucky to get that one, which I can't see happening. It would certainly be a daunting task to get the deer population down to that level here.

Under good conditions (good habitat, few predators) a deer herd left un-hunted can easily double in just a few years. I think it is fully up to hunters to decide how many deer they want where they hunt by utilizing self imposed limits. Pretty simple, if you want to see more deer, then shoot less deer for a few years and talk to any other hunters in the area and try to get them on board.

If we have learned anything over the last few years with these discussions it is that government intervention is the last thing we want to rely on to "fix" anything. Forget about trying to get DEEP to do anything that makes sense, I feel it's more important to get hunters informed and on board about herd dynamics and management.

19-Mar-15
grizzly

perfectly stated!!

19-Mar-15
BBB, the question is are you/Glen talking about FF county or CT as a whole? My job is railcar repair and it takes me all over newengland. Ive seen deer in Hamden CT in the Amtrack railyard. Ive seen deer 20 yards from a railyard office in North Haven. Ive seen tracks upon tracks walking down railroad tracks at Specialty Minerals in Canaan CT. The only state I go to where I see more deer is NY. My point is all these locations are unhuntable at private land. Their will always be a good number of deer. Might their be less than today in the future? Sure, but I doubt it will be as dire as this thread suggests. Whenever you guys mention seeing deer you say their was 8,10,12 in a herd. One guy here is feeding 20-25 in his backyard as mentioned in another thread. BBB, buy a MA license and come hunt with me here and you will breath a sigh of relief after you are done. The less deer their are and it doesnt matter if you have 100 tags as less deer equals less shot ops.

19-Mar-15
x2 what Griz said

19-Mar-15
Bbb....I'd like to what you are talking about? Ma has never ....ever had the deer densitys that ct has/had and ma has never had high tags per hunter.....that whole idea is off in left field.

19-Mar-15

Mike in CT's Link
Ma has never ....ever had the deer densitys that ct has/had

Link provided would beg to differ. Let me know how many other examples you'd like.....

20-Mar-15
Mike.....sorry but no where in ma could you ever ride around and see deer in every other yd eating grass like ct was.....never seen it. If you don't belive me go on ma forum and ask around.

20-Mar-15
Read the link; one of a half-dozen that disagree with you. Citations from your wildlife division as well. If you dispute their claims then let me know when you plan to blast the CT DEEP over their numbers.

It seems you're trying awfully hard to work both sides of the argument.

20-Mar-15
when I started hunting in southfield, mass in 1975 we would see thrity deer a day easy. no problem to shoot my one deer.

20-Mar-15
spike

what does it matter if you have 100 deer in the rail yard if you can't hunt there? What we're talking about is the number of deer in the areas we hunt, not at Walmart, the rail yard, or the lumber yard.

Go to the state land where the large majority of CT hunter go, and tell me how many deer you see. You'll think you're back in MA.

I've hunted the Colebrook River Lake area for years, and most of the Housatonic State Forest, Tunxiz State Forest, Meshomasic, Salmon River, etc and in every one of these areas I've seen the deer herd drop to very low levels.

jrdeerslayer - where did I say your deer density is the same as CT? Never did! What I said was the deer harvest in MA has steadily increased to 10k-11k per year. and has remained at that number since 2002, so 12 years of steady kill, no decline in the numbers like I hear you guys talking about. These are the facts, not my opinion, so your arugements would be better placed with your state DEEP, not me.

MA guys - do you hunt state land in CT or private?? Where do I hunt? State land and state land ONLY. Others on this site are complaining about the decline of deer on specific tracts of private land and I'm agreeing that the state is mis-managing the deer herd in general because I've seen the same problem on state land.

20-Mar-15
yukon

so MA at one time had LOTS of deer and now they have a lot less (notice I didn't use any numbers, they just seem to get in the way).

CT at one time had lots of deer and now we have a lot less.

CT hunters are trying to stop the bleeding and the MA hunters want to keep coming here to shoot CT deer and they don't understand why Mike, Glen, myself and others are concerned about the deer herd in CT.

The picture is pretty clear to me.

20-Mar-15
Jason - " in ma could you ever ride around and see deer in every other yd eating grass like ct "

You seem to think we have to many deer here in Connecticut ! Just because you shoot 3 does in a single day here; don`t expect to do the same everywhere else. I have read the link to the MA deer overpopulation problems in your state and can only conclude the MA hunters have been hiding something from the Connecticut hunters. I think Connecticut hunters should now consider hunting in Ma were your numbers are much higher than in most of Connecticut. It would seem the only good reason the Ma hunters are hunting Zone 11 & 12 is because they can currently take as many as they want.

20-Mar-15
Bbb, I hunted in CT for 2 seasons. Years ago in Union and 3 or 4 years ago in Stafford. Both were public land state forests. Union I saw a ton of deer scouting and great sign however had no shot ops in the stand. Stafford (Shenipset forest) it took me 6 eve sits to shoot a deer (8pt). I only saw the one deer but the spot was absolutely tore up with sign and I could tell it had a good population. Im not saying CT is infested with deer Im saying its good enough to give me a decent hunt as opposed to MA. I mentioned the railyards to show their is plenty of private land to pump out fawns. I understand your talking public but the private deer disperse into public land. Yes you may have less now but it should level off to a stable herd and not be dessimated like Glen is saying. Im talking CT and not Redding by itself.

20-Mar-15
I believe some on here are mis-understanding the deer population in issues in MA vs CT.

In MA Eastern zones 10-12 the deer population is high. Probably as high as ffld county (25-30dpsm) from the most recent numbers I remember reading. Unfortunately many of the areas are very residential and houses are built on .25 acre lots with no habitat to support hunting. Then you will have a piece of town forest or conservation land or open space where hunting is not allowed and that is where you find those big pockets of deer (see Mike CT link in previous post) Blue Hills Reservation is a perfect example of this. The MAJOR DIFFERENCE from ffld county is in the size of the parcels of land. Many of the properties in Redding, Newtown etc are 2-4+ acres in size and there is no set back law for bowhunting. In MA you have to be 500ft from a house to bowhunt. I invite any CT resident to come up to Eastern MA to hunt...the problem you will run into is finding a place to hunt that 1) has deer 2) is not overrun with hunters or 3) is not owned by a RABID anti-hunter. We have been fortunate to have a lot of landowners stop by our vehicles or talk to us at the local diner about coming to hunt their property...this just would not happen in Eastern MA. I'm not sure why the landowners in ffld county are more open to bowhunters, but they definitely are (naturally with exceptions). Towns and landowners in Eastern MA are STARTING to come around to the idea of bowhunting. If you look at a breakdown of the numbers you will see that there is a very high archery kill from zone 10-12 for the reasons stated above.

Basically...If you want to compare hunting and deer numbers in MA and CT (for whatever reason) you really need to compare MA zones 10-12 to CT zones 11&12. Comparing N Central MA to ffld county or NW CT to Eastern MA just doesnt make sense, there are no similarities.

20-Mar-15
Glen, we arent hiding anything. Most of the bowsite members from MA live in the eastern part where the most deer are. Some of them say they have a quality hunt and some say they are seeing less every year. Im from the western end that is probably comparible to where BBB hunts number wise. The herd here WAS decent but now is stable around 7-12 dpsm depending where you go. Dont get me wrong I understand that DEEP wants your herd dropped way down and it sucks. I still believe however that CT will have some great hunting for years to come. The difference is what your idea is compared to an out of staters idea of good hunting.

20-Mar-15
"One deer per season per hunter will only lead to more people not reporting deer kills..."

Also pronounced "Poaching", if I'm not mistaken...

JMO, one deer per year on public land would be about right, based on the (admittedly) little that I've seen… Hunted ML one year and I saw more tree stands than deer tracks; I honestly believe I was not out of sight of at least one tree stand at any time all day long, and I could usually pick out at least 3 or 4 within comfortable range of a scoped & rifled slug gun... Figured it wasn't the best use of my time, but maybe if CT were to adopt the Colorado model and limit hunters to not just one animal, but one season/method per year, the reduced pressure would see more deer passing back and forth between public and private land during daylight hours and over a longer period of time… fewer deer killed per day, but over a lot more days… Higher total, maybe??

But trying to control this herd by hunting public land is like putting a cast on the scratched arm of a patient who has lost a leg in a chain-saw mishap.

And part of the trouble is that the guys who are using the feeders can’t/won't take enough deer to meet the management goals even if they wanted to, because - let’s face it – killing a deer turns into work. The meat hunters can only process and eat just so many and I’d expect most of the horn hunters will only take as many does as they have to in order to keep a buck tag in their pocket. Meanwhile, those without access to good private land and/or who just can’t bring themselves to put out a feeder are getting discouraged and dropping out… or are bound to be headed that way…

I'm thinkin' some of the private land-owners who don’t allow hunting might reconsider if they were feeling a little more pain from the overpopulation, but I have a hunch that the widespread baiting has taken the edge off of that. And not because the deer are gone, but just because they’re less visible… I'm told (not surprisingly) that if you hunt a feeder regularly, it doesn't take those deer long to wise up and go nocturnal just like the public-land deer do after the shotgun opener... or maybe sooner. But my semi-educated guess is that if one guy is maintaining a good number of feeders, then the supplemental feeding probably off-sets whatever deer are taken, especially if that guy is not on a deer eradication mission. 'Cuz if you think about it... How many does per year will benefit enough from a feeder to be able to drop one more fawn? And how many deer will be taken at/around each feeder? I don't know, to be honest, but the vibe I'm getting from the DEEP side is that after 15 years of baiting, they're still not getting where they want to go....

Of course, I also wonder how many Antis are feeding deer on their own property just to keep them out of harm's way??? Makes me wonder if getting rid of all the feeders would get the deer up and moving a lot more so that small properties which contain travel routes (but not food sources) could become productive hunting areas again...

20-Mar-15
shawn

the only guys comparing MA to CT is the MA guys. They keep saying how great CT is compared to what you have in MA. I said along, I really don't care what MA has, I only care about the deer management issues here in CT.

It sounds to me like MA is exactly like CT. There are areas that hold lots of deer and then there are others that hold few deer. Sounds like FF county and the NW corner in CT. If state land in NE corner is/was so good, why are you hunting the SW corner now?

Spike

I've hunted CT for 46 seasons, not just 2; and not 4 or 5 years ago but every year since 1975, and I can tell you I know what has happended in this state, and where it's headed. Even the DEEP is now concerned and doing studies on fawn mortality in the NW corner.

Some hunters in CT put their money where their mouth is and paid to verify how many deer we actual have in certain areas, so it doesn't matter what we see in someone's yard in one specific location, it only matters what the total deer herd is and where it's headed.

I guess we're giving the MA guys a hard time because you have a very limit picture of what is happening in CT as non-residents. We've been trying to get the DEEP to listen to us for years now, and people like Glen have finally gotten their attention with the FLIR he paid for.

So when you come on the CT site and say we have plenty of deer, why are we complaining, etc, etc it's upsetting because we see where we're headed while you only see the current picture. We want to change the future, not roll over and accept it.

The guys on this site are fighting you and everyone else to have a great hunt this year, next year, and years to come, and I for one appreciate their work.

20-Mar-15
Glen, I am not sure if I missed it from previous thread, but what do you personally think is an acceptable deer per square mile number you are comfortable within your hunting areas?

20-Mar-15
That is a great question !..........The short answer would be approximately 13-15 deer per square mile. I am busy at the moment; but will try and give you a full explanation later this evening.

20-Mar-15
Than you have 13-15 dpsm. If you factor in the approx 20% non detection rate of flir and the fawn drop this spring that puts you at that figure. Am I wrong?

20-Mar-15
The dr said that forest degradation starts at 20 dpsm. If that's true, then that should be the goal! If 20 dpsm means I can see deer most outings and shoot 2 or 3 per year them I'm happy. In my area I see mostly does and small bucks. 10 years ago large bucks were more plentiful. It's not just because I got worse at hunting!

20-Mar-15
Spike - What town are you referring to ? Deer counts are generally done between December and March.....You will still have to deduct your January take of deer, then add your FLIR correction, approximate 14% to get your current dpsm at this time of year. This is the figure we are shooting for 13-15 dpsm at this time of year. With current fawn recruitment running approximately 20% with current heavey predation, this would give us approximate 15.6-18 dpsm for the fall hunting season.

This would allow us to take approximately 20% of our fall population and still maintain a stable population. Current harvest rates are exceeding these ( fawn recruitment ) figures and we have a seriously declining herd.

The CT DEEP tells us we are currently at 30 dpsm and they will only remove the unlimited doe tags when we reach 20 dpsm; unfortunately we are currently way under the 20 dpsm figure with many of the towns in FF County at approximate 10 dpsm. Hunters will have to take the initiative and take less does / deer in order to sustain the resource we all care about.

20-Mar-15
Glen, I was referring to Redding. Did the DEEP include WB in deer harvest? I was looking at harvest chart for deer management plan and did not notice the WB take. I assume its under the Other column?

20-Mar-15
spike - Redding, CT; The 2015 FLIR showed 234 deer, less January take ( 16 deer ), adding 14% for the FLIR correction we would be at 249 deer or 7.9 dpsm. With fawn recruitment @ 20% we would have approximately 299 deer or 9.48 dpsm in the fall in Redding, CT.

This is unless White Buffalo; shoots any more deer in Redding, CT this year.

21-Mar-15
Just thinking.... If degradation starts at 20 psm, then we'll probably need at least a decade at well under that to get the forests half-way healed up from the damage that has been done...

Problem is that so many important species of vegetation have disappeared that there's nothing left even for seed stock....

I'm thinking things were so "good" (or bad, depending on your POV) for so long that there's going to have to be a painful adjustment somewhere along the line...

26-Mar-15
A lot of states offer one tag and that's it.

You just gotta hunt more than one state if that happens..

26-Mar-15
I don't think you can make a generalization that forest degradation starts at 20 dpsm. I think it depends on the area you're discussing. There are parts of the state that are loaded with browse, and other parts that have very little. Not sure if the 20 deer statement was made for Redding or as a blanket statement for all areas.

26-Mar-15
I agree completely Bob; this is defnitely not a one-size fits all classification.

What we have to consider is the "health" of the forest first and foremost. While the CT DEEP has begun clearcutting state forest we are still way behind on reaching the status of healthy forests in this state.

Clear-cutting creates regrowth areas and diversity and provides much more food for deer than an old, overgrown forest habitat ever will.

Forests may be a moot point anyway; aren't we all being told the problems are in the suburban settings?

26-Mar-15
Mike

don't forget to pry the tree huggers off the trees before you cut them down :)

26-Mar-15
And miss that look of absolute terror on their faces?

;o)

26-Mar-15
Mike the Watershed properties, Wooster MT, and Bennetts could all use some serious timber harvest too!!

26-Mar-15
Shawn,

I hope they get around to those; they started clear-cutting Roraback WMA a few years ago and it's already making a difference; definite new edge and fresh regrowth to pull in deer.

I've heard they really do want to get to work on improving habitat.

26-Mar-15
Thanks to the New england cottontail and the woodcock we are finally getting some timber harvesting here. The state could care less about the deer though.

26-Mar-15
Spike, you are very much correct. The rabbit studies the state is doing is going to promote habitat for them.....which, by the way, is great deer habitat. But you can be damn sure that the DEEP aren't trying to grow the herd. I've had conversations with Kilpatrick on this exact topic.

28-Mar-15
Pat, what were some of the different ideas you have been part of with the CAC concerning better deer management?

28-Mar-15
BBB & Mike - you're absolutely correct about there being no magic number... Myself, I always wonder if they're even talking about deer per square mile of appropriate habitat, or just going by the grid, pavement and all...

FWIW, I suppose the state isn't too concerned about increasing the size of the deer herd because if the habitat is there, the deer will show up soon enough. Might even pull some in off of the overpopulated private land. But I wouldn't expect them to discuss anything that might prove beneficial to deer for fear that they'll get the antis or the insurance companies or the politicians or all of the above inflamed about growing up more damn deer for those wicked hunters to kill and cars to hit. But hey, a few more rabbits and woodcock won't hurt anything.

Just seems that sometimes the fact that people won't talk about what you want them to talk about doing .. It doesn't always mean they aren't doing what you'd like them to do.. Just means everybody's not talking about it.

29-Mar-15
I may piss off some of my friends by saying this, but anyhow, I can see one deer tag per hunter happening at some point in the future.My reason, I never see on this site any mention of what I call "the fraternaty properties" in CT. CT has a history of properties over the years, where nothing is mentioned or offered to the general hunting public, but they allow DEEP employees only (be it office/clerical employees, biologists, CO'S...any employee actualy) or any law enforcement employed individuals from CT(state or any town) are the only canidates allowedto hunt these properties. They exist all over the state from The fenced in Nepaug area to MDC to Bridgewater parks. It always seems to be a don't ask don't tell senario, when I bring it up with my law enforcement buddies, but if they tell, its after the fact. They will probably be pissed that I posted this, but, whatever....if their upset it because they have lost site of the big picture and are worried about compromising their "honeyholes" to the general public who should have equal rights to begin with. Is anyone else aware or this elitist/fraternal situation that exists yearafter year in CT? I can see CT going to one tag, and if populations become unacceptable, they just take that approach or hire WB.

29-Mar-15
Your absolutely correct, the CT DEEP has been using areas in Connecticut as their private hunting clubs for years. I guess the State just looks the other way when confronted with these situations. Every DEEP CO in the field has several stories of confronting these State employees and being told to back off and let it go.

29-Mar-15
eatsvenison

That's not news to me, I knew that was happening years ago, guess I just got numb to some of the abuses that local and state officials participate in.

If your friends get mad it only means you're correct in what you say and they didn't want it in the public's eye, so stand by your words, it's the truth.

29-Mar-15
East haven cop got busted last year. Baiting on water co. Property. He shot a monster. Guess he thought he was above the law! Probly regrets it now

29-Mar-15
Not to get off track from bow hunting, but I've also heard instances in which they will have employee fishing derbies/outings fishing on waters closed to fishing, such as Barkhamsted Reservoir. They would refer to these outings as "Research and data collecting"

29-Mar-15
theyve been doing that at the saugy res for years..only outsiders are bait shop owners once a year on boats..

• Sitka Gear