Rut Nut 03-Jun-15
Rut Nut 04-Jun-15
Rut Nut 04-Jun-15
Rut Nut 04-Jun-15
swiggy 08-Jun-15
Joe The Teacher 09-Jun-15
Rut Nut 10-Jun-15
20-Mar-15
I'm a new camp owner near where Potter county and McKean county meet, very close to Shinglehouse, PA. Can anybody tell me if there is any place in Potter or McKean counties that I could do a 3 or 4 day camping trip to hunt turkeys and fish for trout? Maybe a wilderness area that has trout streams running through it? I know there are SGL's in the area, but I'd like to find a place where I could go in for a few days and stay. Thanks for any help you can give!

21-Mar-15
I know of none in that area. But u are talking but backpacking in. Right?

21-Mar-15
Teeton, yes I'd like to backpack in. If I can't find anywhere to do that then I'll just do day trips on SGL's. Would like to go in and not have to come out for a few days. Thanks.

30-Mar-15
There are an endless number of places to that up there! You can camp on State Forest properties, but read all the rules first! You can camp on any of the timber Co properties that are open to public use. Make sure if you are going to fish for native trout it is in approved streams. You will need to do some research, but that is part of the adventure.

30-Mar-15
Why can u only fish native trout in approved waters??My boys catch/ release natives right by my house on a tiny stream

30-Mar-15
Why can u only fish native trout in approved waters??My boys catch/ release natives right by my house on a tiny stream

30-Mar-15

30-Mar-15
Sam- when were you thinking of going? I might be interested. I did a solo backpacking Gobbler hunting and fishing trip last May in Lycoming co. But it's always more fun going with a partner(and safer too ;-)

01-Apr-15
Hey Rut Nut, I didn't have an exact time, but obviously sometime during the PA turkey season. I'd love the company. Always more fun to have someone to hunt and fish with and talk to during the down times!

02-Apr-15
Crap I forgot about this thread.. Looked at some of my maps of state forests, Closest I can find to your cabin that you can camp on is Susquehanna State Forest..

I would call the nation forest service in that area and ask them about spots That may be good for turkey hunting and fishing in about the same spots.. I would definitely also call the wco in that area and ask them the same questions. I hunt out west and call many of wco's in other states and get great answers.. You have some large game lands I think not far from your cabin.. The wco may tell you to hunt turkey by day and hunt coyotes by night.. ;) I know a guy that goes in, in the evening looking for turkey (roost). Gets close to the birds well after dark, sets up his blind and waits (camps) till day light. It saves him from running up roosting a bird walking back out, driving home and then back up again in morning. He has a nob thats about a hour & 15 mins from the road that birds are at just about every time he's there.. If there is any working farms around National forest there will be birds around them. Especially with all the deep snow we have up north. I still have good snow cover 4/2/15 here in Susquehanna Co. You will find birds back in a mile or more from these farms. Most likely wouldn't find to many guys in that far. I also would love to get out and backpack for birds out there with you, but I just can't commit to it at this time. I have a ton of stuff going on and also have 2 Ny tags for birds to fill.. If I can help out with anymore info let me know.. Ed

02-Apr-15
Scott, I believe I read somewhere that some streams are off limits to native trout fishing. better safe than sorry.

02-Apr-15
Sam- I'd like to do it if possible. Just depends on the dates and what is going on at home with the family.

02-Apr-15
Rut Nut would be a good choice,, as he's has experience doing exactly what you want to do.

02-Apr-15
In Potter, the headwaters of Kettle Creek are a native brook trout restoration area. Catch and release only I believe?

Probably one of the very most remote spots in the state is in southern Potter, the Hammersley Wild Area, near Cross Fork. Was there in my teens, back in the 70's. Cool place. Native trout to be fished. At one point there, it is 6 or 7 miles between roads.

DCNR Bureau of Forestry office at Denton Hill could maybe be of some help as far as turkey populations there. Pretty sure almost every forester in the office is a hunter.

02-Apr-15

Brad Gehman's Link
Oh, here is a link to the Susuehannock Trail System that goes thru Hammersley and much of southern Potter

03-Apr-15
Thanks for all the suggestions! I will check them out.

03-Apr-15

Rut Nut's Link
Sam- I checked this map for Hammersley Wild Area and found that 3 years ago I did a backpacking gobbler/trout trip near that area with another bowsiter. We did our trip along the Black Forrest Trail in the Tiadacton S.F.(to the east) but after we were done, I took a drive up rte 44 from Lycoming Co. to see the lay of the land and remember driving into Potter county and up to the town of Oleona. I remember seeing the sign to Ole Bull SP. That area is beautiful and should be good for what you are looking for!

16-Apr-15
In Potter, the headwaters of Kettle Creek are a native brook trout restoration area. Catch and release only I believe? Probably one of the very most remote spots in the state is in southern Potter, the Hammersley Wild Area, near Cross Fork. Was there in my teens, back in the 70's. Cool place. Native trout to be fished. At one point there, it is 6 or 7 miles between roads.

DCNR Bureau of Forestry office at Denton Hill could maybe be of some help as far as turkey populations there. Pretty sure almost every forester in the office is a hunter. -brad g

May I recommend Hungry Hollow near cross fork?You will need a camping permit.kettle creek runs right through it. At the little grocery in cross fork buy the books :Tales of the Black Forest /vol 1&2. You will thank me. Oh in vol.1 you will find out why it is called Hungry Hollow.

17-Apr-15
Joe, very good to see you here again.

The Potter, Hammersly, Kettle Creek, Susquehannock, Sproul areas can be refreshing, even life changing. Plenty of vasteness, diversity, whether we seek trout, natives, turks, other game, or solitude alone or in conjunctions with... I'm glad to see others look to appreciate our treasure trove for all it is.

20-Apr-15
Why thank you.Vol.1 of the book explains that the first German settlers called it the Black Forest because they would go in the middle of the afternoon and it was as dark as midnight.An excellent read.

24-Apr-15
Thanks for the info guys. I love PA's northern tier. I could move there in a heartbeat...and am trying to figure out how as I write this. haha. Keep it coming!

30-Apr-15
Sam- you still interested in a pack-in turkey hunt? I may take the last week of May off and combine it with an overnight bike trip to Pine Creek area.

01-May-15
Rut, sent you a PM.

04-May-15
Got it- now you have one. ;-)

04-May-15
Get a room will ya? :)

04-May-15
LMBO! :)

05-May-15
Thanks for the info guys! I am checking the (lower) Hammersley Trail out of Cross Fork. Sounds like it could be just what we are looking for!

Just want to confirm though, you CAN hunt in Hammersley WILD AREA, yes? I think some(or all) NATURAL AREAS are closed to hunting. Just want to make sure.

13-May-15
I talked to one of the DCNR Foresters for that area and he confirmed you can indeed hunt the Hammersley. He's also sending me a map and suggested some areas to check out for turkeys! Looking forward to this. : )

18-May-15
OK- so anybody want to join me on this trip? Unfortunately Sam cannot make it due to some family issues, so I will be solo.

Plam is to hunt next Thurs and Fri and hike out Sat. morning. If interested, let me know.

22-May-15
Eat at Deb's Place in Cross Fork! Good eats.

25-May-15
Thanks for the tip Brad! I'll look for that place on Sat. on my way out. A good breakfast would be good before I head over to Slate Run to meet Dan.

03-Jun-15
Didn't have time for a leisurely breakfast on Sat. Brad. So I had to settle for a bacon egg and cheese on a bagel at Wolfe's General Store over in Slate Run while waiting for Dan to arrive. ;-)

04-Jun-15

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Well, couldn't find any turkeys, but did manage to catch a few wild Brookies on the fly rod and almost stepped on this Bad Boy! ;-)

04-Jun-15

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Home for 3 days

04-Jun-15

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Off the grid for 4 days! Lost cell service about 9am on Thurs and didn't get it back until 3pm Sun. LIFE IS GOOD! :)

08-Jun-15
Cool...Life is good

09-Jun-15
May be camping in Hungry Hollow in July. Can't wait! Did you find any leeks?

10-Jun-15
Wasn't really looking for anything of the vegetarian variety, Joe! ;-)

I'll have to look for Hungry Hollow on the map. Dang, forgot to stop and pick up those books you suggested Joe. Will have to remember for next year. Post some pics here if you go, Joe!

• Sitka Gear