LaughingWater 21-Mar-15
BOWMEN 22-Mar-15
Ace of Spades 23-Mar-15
longbeard 24-Mar-15
LaughingWater 24-Mar-15
pman 27-Mar-15
Bernie P. 16-Apr-15
21-Mar-15
anyone have any experience with turkeys in the ADKs? Specifically the high peaks region?

I don't know much about turkey hunting, but i think more of field edges than big woods so i would think it would be real real tough up there, but i've heard that the population has really been growing up in the ADKs in recent years.

is anyone getting it done up there? Not looking for honey holes, but would love to hear any thoughts on finding good spots in the big woods in the high peaks region.

thanks

22-Mar-15
I used to live in Adk basin,around the Saratoga Spring area.That was 20 years ago.I would head over to Washington County.I don't know how the turkey population is now.But back then there was a good population.We often visit Lake George area and see alot of turkey in that area.I now live in Ct.Where the turkey and deer population is on decline.Hope this helps.

23-Mar-15
I've hiked many of the high peaks and have never seen any turkeys. Deer sightings are rare at best. In other areas of the ADK's I've seen turkeys but they are often on the sides of the road.

Also if you were to hunt in and around the high peaks your going to run into a lot of hiker traffic and some areas are owned privately and only allow trespassing via hiking trails. It sure would be cool to hunt turkeys or deer up there but definitley a whole different animal.

The area you're talking about is way different than the tug hill region or the foot hills of the ADK's where you'd more often see birds due to the open areas and agriculture.

Josh

24-Mar-15
Josh is right...I've hunted turkeys for over 30 years all over upstate NY and while there are many turkeys in the foothills as well as the Tug Hill region I don't believe there are many if any in the high peaks. Possibly a pocket of turkeys here or there but your time would be better spent in the lower ares inside the park or just outside the park as mentioned above

24-Mar-15
thanks for the thoughts... i'm working on joining the 46er club myself, and so far have seen 2 does (on a golf course near a trailhead) and zero turkeys.

i love the area (as does my wife) so i'd love to find a way to let her hike etc while i hunt.

i also like the idea of taking a few days for a joint fly fishing turkey hunting trip in the same area. the idea was further helped along by an article i read about turkeys near the saranac area.

sounds like i might be better off turkey hunting further south then heading up toward the ausable to fish.

27-Mar-15
I hunt turkeys in the Vermontville area near Saranac Lake, on private land which has a mix of conifer, birch, and fields. Most always tag out. I have watched birds on the Plains of Abraham which are the fields on either side of the Adirondack Lodge Road. Tough to get permission to hunt there though. As someone else mentioned, there are pockets of birds that occasionally move through the deep forest. Over the years, while deer hunting in the forested mountains, I have come across them or have seen evidence of there passage.

16-Apr-15
I'm just inside the park near Boonville.It's pretty decent in the foothills but I've never tried hunting the high peak areas.

• Sitka Gear