Babysaph 23-Mar-15
Babysaph 23-Mar-15
babysaph 24-Mar-15
Little Bear 24-Mar-15
speedy 29-Mar-15
Babysaph 29-Mar-15
hookman 29-Mar-15
22-Mar-15
Just wanted to say thank you to all who helped put on the banquet! Had a blast once again and walked away with the cheapest pistol I will ever buy/won!!! NowI have to buy some 9mm ammo and some new archery equip for the recurve i ended up with!

22-Mar-15
A great weekend for sure. Thanks to all involved in putting on this event

22-Mar-15
Hey Jonathan, sounds like you did have a good evening. Glad you had a good time.

Hope some people will be posting pictures over on the WVBA facebook page.

22-Mar-15
A pistol at a Bowhunter banquet? Lol

22-Mar-15
Absolutely. Sold 52 cards at $20 each in record time. I think that game was sold out in 3 minutes.

I only wish we'd had another one!

Hope you don't have any problems with promoting our 2nd Amendment Rights and at the same time raising money to help with promoting and protecting the sport of bowhunting.

BTW, there were 13 bows auctioned or won!

22-Mar-15
Yes I was never so happy to draw the 5 of clubs best $20 I ever spent

22-Mar-15
wish I had throwed my hand up on that New Mexico Hunt

22-Mar-15
I have no problem with the second amendment. Just thought it was bowhunting only. My bad.

23-Mar-15
It's the WV bow hunters association banquet but there is ALOT of different items to win, bid, or buy its a really good time you should join up and check it out!!!!!!

23-Mar-15
Yea I guess it is ok to make money for the organization.

23-Mar-15
I wonder if in the future, if a crossbow will ever be raffled off? I know its not the same as bow hunting equipment but it could help raise money for the organization....?

23-Mar-15
This year was another excellent banquet! Thanks to all who worked so hard to make it happen. The guest speaker was good, brief, and to the point. He also was an active bidder in the auction.....he probably spent his entire fee on the auction! :o)

23-Mar-15
Or maybe some trolling gear?

23-Mar-15
LOL @ sundaynwv.... Been here a long time, just don't post as much as I used to in the last few years, but a troll by no means or standards.... sorry if you found my post upsetting or inflammatory and I'm not trying to start an argument by no means.... was just wondering and had a concern if it was feasible...? Ya know,..... like it or not

23-Mar-15
Well yea. If a gun is raffled off then why not a crossbow. Money is money.

23-Mar-15
Exactly,..... fishing equipment / accessories as well. You would be surprised at some of the local sporting goods shops or local Wal-Marts that discount or donate fishing equiptment,.... there are plenty of ways to raise money for your organization

23-Mar-15
There was fishing equipment in the auction this year as well as the guns--a very nice fly rod outfit. The issue you raised wvvabowhunter is one I had thought about as well. Since guns are not archery gear but are legal hunting weapons and the handguns included were the type used mostly just for shooting/self defense, and they are in the auction, why not crossbows? I certainly am not arguing for that but there really would be no logical reason not to include them since they are already legal and 22,000 crossbow exemptions (according to what I found in a search on that subject) have already been granted to "handicapped" hunters here in WV now, and soon there will be a crossbow season as mandated, I think, in the elk restoration or some other bill that was passed (one of those "fat possums that move at midnight" I guess as they call them in the legislature :o). I may be wrong as to which bill it may have been attached to but believe that is what I read in the paper. I see no reason why at some point crossbows may not be included in the auction/drawings. I seriously doubt that current leadership would go that direction, but I could see in the future an argument being made for that very thing. I certainly hope not!

23-Mar-15
Well that was my point. I certainly can't see the difference. Why would you put guns in a bowhunting organization but not a crossbow? I will never understand that but that is just me. Seems you are discriminating against the handicapped hunters. JMO. I don't know anything about how the laws are passed but what does the crossbow thing have to do with elk being introduced ? Go figure.

23-Mar-15
I don't want to say any more on this further here on the banquet thread. Sorry if I directed things a bit off track. Back to our original programming. :o)

23-Mar-15
There were a few comments that we need to have more ladies items next year (which we will try to improve on), but with babysaph’s point of view we should not acquire any Gucci purses to help raise money either since it has nothing to do with bowhunting. I guess the ladies would be out of luck if it were up to babysaph.

We aim to please but there's no pleasing everyone. But Dave is correct, I don't see the current leadership ever including a crossbow. What happens in another 35 years who knows? If babysaph can't see the difference...well I'm sure I couldn't explain clearly enough to please so I won't even try.

23-Mar-15
Here is a little information that I think is very important . Groups like the WVBA are ran by volunteers. Most have full time jobs, families and other obligations but they still take the time, effort and money to promote and support the hunting heritage we have now. No one gets paid and they pay membership dues like everyone else. The officers, directors, regional reps and members that work are doing it because they feel its important.

To make light of and belittle those who do their best to make things better for all is pretty classless. Telling them what they need to do and what they are doing wrong while not lifting a finger to help is cold.

I'm not saying that you cant complain or make suggestions ,but to blast them on line after an event that they worked on so hard for months is not the right time. Remember, all they money raised goes to events and programs that is to ensure a future for bow hunting. Believe me, I make suggestions too but I try and not do it in a way that is an attempt to make them look foolish Thanks to all who MAKE time volunteering for WVBA and groups like it. Keep up the good work

23-Mar-15
Yes mp very classless,,,,,WVBA officers ,reps and banquet crew bust their butts to serve, protect and preserve bow hunting as well as put on an event so we can have a nice time ,,, beyond me

23-Mar-15
Ed, next year get five decks of cards and do that raffle between every auction segment for something. Change the amounts for the different decks $20 $10 $5 and back to $20. It appeared to be popular and very profitable for the club. I don't care if you use bows, guns, or whatever that clearly worked from what I saw and was fun for those that participated.

23-Mar-15
Whatever it takes to make money Ed.

23-Mar-15
I can't see the difference in selling guns or crossbows. You guys can do what you want. But handicapped people can hunt with them now in our bow season.,gun hunters can't. In fact everone will be able to hunt with one soon. Seems like you want to make the ladies happy which is ok but what about the handicapped hunters? I really don't care. I'm all about the bowhunting but if you want to sell guns knock yourself out. But I say you will be forced to sell crossbows at the banquet soon. And if they are legal why wouldn't you want to?

24-Mar-15
And one more thing. I agree that lots of work and volunteerism goes into the banquet. I don't believe I ever questioned that in my post. I was just commenting about guns being raffled but now that I look at it I guess it is no different than raffling handbags or crossbows Money is money I guess.

24-Mar-15
Yes JW, that was mentioned to me at breakfast on Sunday by the guy that runs our sound/video. So we will be experimenting with varions of exactly that.

Also, my daughter helped this year and she suggested in stead of mixing up the items in the auction we block them like Segment 1 all hunts, Segment 2 hand made items, Segment 3 misc.

Those of you that were there, what do you think of that idea?

Next year might be even better, which is what we always strive for.

29-Mar-15
Babysaph I can see a difference between auctioning guns and crossbows. The vast percentage of bowhunters in this organization own guns and see nothing wrong with it. On the other hand that is definitely not the case for crossbows. And I don't think we want to promote crossbows for every one or do anything that would seem to imply that we support crossbows in general except for those that need them.

29-Mar-15
If you say so. But not selling them at the banquet if you are trying to make money makes no sense. It's like you are saying you are against the handicapped. They can use them now. And before long anyone can use them. We will see how the stance against them is when people start using them. We will see.

29-Mar-15
Great post M.P. You are on target. Thanks to all that helped and to those that has helped in the past. Such a great organization always draws criticism for standing for their beliefs, that's why we are strong. Always trying to better our sport and keep our privileges is why I love the WVBA.

• Sitka Gear