Rut Nut 02-Jun-15
Rut Nut 02-Jun-15
Dave G. 20-Jul-15
Dale Hajas 20-Jul-15
Rut Nut 20-Jul-15
Dale Hajas 20-Jul-15
Dale Miller 22-Jul-15
24-Mar-15
Baiting deer into pens and then shooting them with "soft bullets" was the plan. Even before it happened both hunters and non hunters were appalled. But what happened was even more disgusting than we had imagined.

Their goal was to kill 150 of the landscape eaters. In the end they killed 6. Apparently they have a lot to learn about whitetail deer. But the reason they cancelled the plan of action was pathetic. it was taking upwards of 10 or 11 shots to the head to kill a deer. Their ammo apparently was too politically correct and not sufficient to do the job quickly and humanely. I guess they failed to realize how tough a cute little Bambi really is.

What gets me is that while hunters and non hunters agreed that the plan was unethical... we still have not heard a word about allowing an archery season there to offer some hunting opportunities and solve the problem at the same time. I was born 100 years too late!

24-Mar-15
What the heck is a "soft bullet"???!!!

And why didn't they use regular ammo???!!!

You have a link with more info?

24-Mar-15
All the need to do is ask us, right Perry?

24-Mar-15
cant cure stupid.....

24-Mar-15
And just think of the money wasted when they could have got archers in there to do the job right, for free

24-Mar-15
All the local TV stations had been carrying this story, but it's gotten very quiet the last few days.

The contract with the company was for around $45,000 or so; YES, around $45K to eliminate a goal of 150. The TV reports worked it out that it would cost ONLY around $300 for EACH KILL. !!!!!!

Even me, the "Gatherer" Archer of the group, wants to whack somebody upside the head, and ask "Are you friggin crazy?"

The Archers of this region could have taken care of the problem, and MANAGED the issue, more quietly, effectively, humanely. And there wouldn't have been a story to tell.....

But NOOOOOOOOO.

Gotta throw money at something, I guess, to fix it.

I'm still scratching my head.....

25-Mar-15
Personally you couldn't pay me enough to hunt a suburban area like Mt. Lebanon. And I don't think allowing archers to do the job would actually be cheaper or more efficient. Deer are going to die in people's backyards and the archer will have to deal with that. By the time all the potential archers are properly vetted and assigned their personal hunting spots it's surely a time consuming and expensive process as well.

Just let the professionals shoot them with real bullets.

SA

25-Mar-15
It is being done by bowhunters in southeastern PA in townships.

25-Mar-15
I know very little about mount Lebanon other than seeing an airial photo with the boundaries.I have some experience with situations like this and I can't see any possible way that bowhunters would be able to effectively reduce the herd there.They may be able to be used in very limited areas but not enough to get the job done.Whether hunters want to accept it or not,hunting is not the answer in every situation.

25-Mar-15
Calling it pathetic and a massacre is playing right into the hands of the anti's.Is it pathetic and a massacre when cows are butchered?I've butchered cows and pigs and sometimes things don't go as planned.Do hunters ever lose deer?Do hunters ever make bad shots and let an animal suffer overnight?Which situation is worse?

I'm not defending these guys because I wasn't there.Most likely some anti's got a hold of the story and ran with after they embellished it.It's a shame to see hunters jump on the band wagon.

25-Mar-15
Let's see, slaughterhouse round upthe animals, send them through the chutes where they are quickly & humanely killed with one shot to head from a captive bolt gun. The fiasco that happend in Mt. Lebanon was worse than amature night.

25-Mar-15
At one time Bowhunters DID hunt ML. Antis helped push them out along with liability..... There are very few places to BH there without ramifications. This is a case where a cull is needed. Unfortunately the company was so handicapped by restrictions it was destined to fail.......possibly on purpose?

There's a part of me that says " let em die of starvation in the yards of these folks..... Then they'll change their minds" but I know better.

A big victory for anti hunters herd.... But only temporary.

25-Mar-15

Rut Nut's Link
I googled it and found this article. SOunds like it was a combination of many unfortunate events including the beaurocracy, weather and even potential sabotage by antis!

I think the owner of the company(Merlin Benner) was a forester with the state(DCNR if I remember correctly). He gave a tour(lecture) to us at one of Mark Hogan's deer tours back in the late 90's or early 2000's I think Brad Gehman was with us also. Saw deer exclosures for the first time up there in Tioga. He must have retired and now owns this company. He seemed to really know his stuff.

I would be surprised if the original story is true about "special bullets" and hitting deer 10 times in the head and not killing them. Probably made up by antis as was suggested above!

25-Mar-15
I don't know Bob because I wasn't there.

We were butchering pigs one year and my neighbor wanted to shoot them first.Normally we'd just grab them by the back leg,lift them with the bucket of the tractor and slit their throat.My other neighbor wanted to shoot the first hog and it took about 5 shots.It was a mess.Sometimes crap happens.

More than once in my life I've had to put more than one shot in a deer.

25-Mar-15
I agree with Dougell's comments. Knowing the area, bowhunting would not be an effective solution, especially with the # of deer that would need killed to start. It could possibly be part of a long term management plan after the initial cull but not the first step. Also, areas you can actually hunt are very minimal. Just a couple miles away from there and there are many sections of woods you can get access to with permission but Mt. Lebo is very dense suburbia.

Also, it wasn't 10 shots for one deer but 3-4 shots per deer were required, based on reports. They did have vandalization of the pens too which limited the kill, amongst other things.

I don't think those deer will every starve with all the landscaping out that way but, their numbers will be partially controlled by the vehicles, one way or another.

25-Mar-15
The way I heard it,they were told to shoot until the deer stopped moving.Most times head shot deer twitch.Was it necessary to keep shooting?I don't know as I wasn't there but I imagine each deer was dispatched within seconds.For hunters to refer to it as appalling or a massacre is truly appalling.

They were using subsonic loads from a suppressed .223.

28-Mar-15
Prior to enacting the plan they said they would give detailed reports of the daily progress. That was probably a mistake. The details that were in the news said that the shooters themselves stated that it took 10 or 11 shots to kill a deer. I'd call that pretty pathetic. Anyone with a bit of experience knows that deer are tough and so they should be sure to use an appropriate means of quickly dispatching them.

For the record: There are plenty of patches of woods large enough to legally hunt in Mt Lebanon.

Heck... there are lots of places within the city limits of Pittsburgh that are big enough to hunt... with guns. Anyone who lives there knows that there are tons of shotgun hunters around Pgh during deer season.

30-Mar-15
Hunting has in fact been discussed and the PGC expects them to implement a plan.Hunting won't cut the mustard in that area.Hunters will kill some deer but not enough to make a dent.They tried sharp shooters before and there was outrage when a wounded deer ended up in someone's yard.With all the protests from the anti-hunters and hunters who are actually anti's,do you really think a hunt would go off without a hitch?

30-Mar-15

TPlank's embedded Photo
TPlank's embedded Photo
Here's an aerial of Mt Lebanon showing a 50 yard archery safety zone buffer around building outlines. As you can see, there are very little, if any areas you can archery hunt outside a 50 yard safety zone.

31-Mar-15
Quoting dougell.....

"With all the protests from anti-hunters and hunters who are actually anti's......"

Please explain what you mean by "hunters who are actually anti's" and specifically whom among us you are you referring to?

SA

31-Mar-15
Anyone who referred to this as a massacre or appalling is an anti hunter in my book or at the very least adding fuel to the anti hunter fire.There's also a face book page out there with plenty of people who claim to be hunters singing that tune.I find that appalling.

These deer need killed and there's no way hunters can go into a place like that and remove the number of deer needed.Hunters kill deer,wound deer and deer suffer.That's just the way it is.Trapping them and killing them is no better and no worse.The end result is the same,deer die.Calling that a massacre or appalling is a play right into the anti's playbook.What it comes down to is many hunters simply want more targets for themselves,without any regard to the actual problem at hand or the best way to take care of the problem.

31-Mar-15
Doug, call me what you will, but if it went down the way it read, 'massacre', or 'appalling' isn't too far from the objective reality as viewed by thinking/caring humans, some hunters included. I'm not here to argue whether their killing needed done, but I would describe any similar situation with words just as strong... perhaps Custer's last stand, exterminating lemmings or like pestilence, mass slaughter of domestic and other wild animals and fish or humans, say... Native Americans for instance? Perceived need may tend to justify availible means, but it doesn't negate the terminology.

As an aside... Farbeit for us to hold an 'appalling massacre' on a native species that WE moved in on :^)

... see map above :^)

31-Mar-15
Thank you.

It was anything but an intelligent ethical or effective event.

I guess I could have just used the word clusterf__k.

Let's not forget that in addition to moving in on their habitat a good number of the residents there feed them! If it's that big of a problem screw the buffer zones. Make some rules, qualify the hunters, and let the people who have spent their lives practicing deer culling handle the situation.

Death is a fact of life. If you don't want to see deer dying don't turn your neighborhood into a deer farm. Or better yet... don't turn the deer woods into a neighborhood!

Guess what... someone whacked that filet mignon you have on the grill out back too.

31-Mar-15

Mule Power's embedded Photo
Mule Power's embedded Photo
Maybe some people need a reality check.

31-Mar-15
Where is this place?

I'll do it :)))

With the right guys and with a majority of the home owners cooperating. It can be done with archers

Bill v

31-Mar-15
Bill this is the place we were talking about at the rendezvous.

31-Mar-15
Too far for me ??

01-Apr-15
Yeah Jody and Brian were thinking the same lol

01-Apr-15
Jeff,when a hunter calls any type of needed herd reduction a massacre or appalling,they're playing right into the hands of the anti's.Besides,I'd hardly calling the killing of 6 deer a massacre.

I know exactly what it takes to get a hunt implemented in a residential area.I organized and formed a committee to do exactly that in a private residential community in northern Clearfield county.I understand the opposition and what it takes to overcome that opposition because we were successful in doing so.As the only bow hunter on that committee,it was my job to sell bow hunting as the solution.I did so successfully and had to deal with anti-hunters on a daily basis,both at meetings and their constant harassing phone calls to my house.The way some of you are describing this cull are the exact words they used to describe a legal hunt.They liked to use the word massacre.I find that appalling.Unless you've spent several years fighting the good fight to expand hunting opportunities,you have no idea the challenges that are presented.Believe it or not,hunters,especially bow hunters are looked at in a very poor light to most non hunters.That's an image that has to change and calling the culling of animals a massacre is not the way to go about it.We got it done in a rural remote area with over 3500 acres of undeveloped land that was a perfect place to hunt and little to no chance of interaction between hunters and residents.That isn't the case with Mt Lebanon.Even with that,it was a very,very hard sell.I had people worried about deer dying in yards,wounded deer crashing through screen doors in a fit of rage,kids getting shot by bow hunters etc,I had people calling my house and calling me every name in the book.Again,this was in a rural area of Pa with a very deep hunting heritage.Heck,there was even a sportsman's club,rifle range and 3D archery range already on the property and opposition was still very strong.Getting a hunt approved in a suburb of Pittsburgh with practically no open land that isn't residential lots would be extremely difficult.Even with a hunt approved,which the PGC is pushing for,there's not enough open areas to hunt to effectively reduce the population.Like it or not,hunting is not always the best solution in every case.This crap took over my life for about 6 years so I have a pretty good handle on what will work and what won't.The way I hear some of you talking is word for word how the anti-hunters describe hunters.

02-Apr-15
" deer crashing through screen doors in a fit of rage,kids getting shot by bow hunters"

What you re telling us is simply that some people are completely uneducated about the subject.

What I'm telling you is that this cluster that happened in ML has NOTHING to do with hunters. It has to do with what the results can be when you don't let hunters become involved. You could really use the situation to shed some positive light on real hunting. Instead you choose to let the situation be related to actual hunting.

Somebody somewhere made a big mistake. People with impressionable mind got to see or hear about what happens when deer aren't killed quickly and cleanly. That sucks!

I consider hunters, the majority of people on this Pa forum, to be highy trained professional. Collectively we have centuries of experience. When we aren't involved in a "herd reduction" it means we gave way to the sentiments of anti hunters. When the results of that are the massacre that took place a little "I told you so" doesn't hurt.

They attempted to lure the deer into a pen. OK... maybe that's not soooo bad. But those politically correct projectiles they used could surely take a kids eye out or break a window just as easily as an arrow.

We could have used the whole situation to make improvements on our relationship with non hunters. But NO. Instead they now think that even trained professionals do nothing but cause pain and suffering to animals. Nice... real nice. They probably assume that those pros are also hunters. In reality that may very well be true. So in the end where does that leave us? I'll tell you where: Worse off than we were before we let some else do our business for us. Call it what you want. It may not be a deer massacre because they barely killed any. But it was a massacre as far as what those non or anti hunters think about deer hunting and that's even worse.

02-Apr-15
I'm not sure if you were there to see what actually happened or not.I wasn't so I refuse to speculate on how the deer were killed.I'm not defending the contractor either as I have no idea what the actual facts were.I am saying that hunting isn't always the answer and that's based on experience.

I do know that Mt Lebanon would be an extremely hard place to get hunt approved and successfully implemented enough to effectively reduce the population.It could possibly be used in conjunction with other methods but good luck with the current attitude in that area.

When we implemented a hunt,it was for areas that really didn't have close contact with residents adjacent to residential areas.It was 3500 acres of undeveloped land which is bigger than many SGL's.Regardless,in order to get a hunt approved,we had to jump through a bunch of hoops.Every hunter had to have a BOWHUNTED ED CERTIFICATION,PASS A PROFICIENCY TEST WITH BH'S and attend an orientation meeting.At this meeting we stressed the importance of taking good shots and backing out on poor shots.On a poor shot,hunters were expected to call someone on the committee to help recover the deer.In short,we tried to get experienced,"professional" type hunters.Well,I was on the committee so I got called out at least 6 times a week to recover deer.Some of the guys were very good and backed out immediately.We recovered 100% of those deer.Unfortunately more than 50% of the hunters didn't do what they were told and they went right after gut shot deer.It wasn't a real problem as far as the residents were concerned because most of these deer were shot in areas where the residents wouldn't know.Overall,the program could be called a success because there weren't any problems between hunters and non hunters but again,there really wasn't much interaction because of the way the property was layed out.I can tell you that we had many,many problems that people never knew about.Several guys on this site have hunted there and they'll tell you the same thing.If you think the majority of hunters in Pa are professional,you're off your rocker.The guys on this site most likely are but they're a drop in the bucket.I will also tell you that the actual wounding rate for bow hunters is pathetically high.I have real world experience with it and it's bad.Hunters need to do much better.We had every hunter turn in a questionaire at the end of the season asking about deer seen,missed wounded etc.I know for a fact that very few admitted wounding any because I was out looking for the deer.Whether you want to believe it or not but the wounding rate is way above 30%.That's just counting the one's I had first hand experience with over a several year time period.I would have no problems believeing that it's close to 50% like many studies have shown.

Since these deer weren't "hunted",I don't see how anyone could corelate this cull with hunting.

02-Apr-15
You are nothing but trouble, Mule Butt:)

02-Apr-15
"Since these deer weren't "hunted",I don't see how anyone could corelate this cull with hunting."

My pojt exactly. That's why I disagreed that it matters what we call the cluster. It has nothing to do with hunting or hunters. Therefore calling it a massacre doesn't fall into the trap of the antis.

RC... I learned from the best Mr Mentor. lmao :-)

02-Apr-15
It can't be correlated with hunting, but people who find it appalling are anti-hunters?

03-Apr-15
haha Jeff... you have an uncanny way of summing things up in 20 words or less. I guess I need to work on that. lol

03-Apr-15
double post

03-Apr-15
When hunters complain about the way deer are culled,they're playing the hands of anti-hunters and are just as bad.

03-Apr-15
It's pretty similar in some ways to pigeon shoots.I for one don't support them,would never participate and see why people find them distastefull.The difference is,people are killing them for fun and there's really no benefit as they're raised to shoot,not just vermin.While I dislike the practice and will never understand what a rational person could get out killing a caged bird for fun,I would never stand shoulder to shoulder with the anti's on the issue.This cull is different.The deer are over populated which is bad for the deer,residents and ecosystem.They needed to be culled.

06-Apr-15
In a miniscule way I was involved in establishing the controlled bowhunt in the gated community that Doug discussed.I have heard that 8/9 of an iceberg is underwater while only 1/9 is visible.

I would guess the team that accompanied me compiled a minimum 72 hours in organization, prepping the gear, travel, teaching and meals. We trained and certified the initial personnel and hunters. It was quite involved. I would guess Doug would tell you that my team didn't even make up 1/900 of his particular iceberg.

06-Apr-15
As far as bowhunter wounding rates, Doug is correct, it is too high. it is also too high for crossbows, firearms, automobiles, trains, and even aircraft.

It is also high for humans injured by knives, guns, automobiles and even falling church ceilings. Human bodies and wildlife are amazingly resilient and survive wounding. The best place for instant firearm kills are on television shows and movies where the bad guys or innocent victims go down like a broken elevator.

Years ago my friend and I were driving near Watertown New York on our way to a Canada moose hunt. We had just switched drivers when he hit two deer with my truck while towing a trailer that belonged to a third party. One died immediately and the other was wounded. In about ten to fifteen minutes two sheriff's deputies arrived. One quickly drew her service handgun and put three bullets in the doe's head at PBR.(point blank range)

Ten or more minutes later while we were filling out reams of paperwork for the accident,(one driver, two separate registrations for truck & trailer) and the discharge of a firearm, we noticed this firearm wounded doe raising her head. The deputy retrieved a shotgun from her patrol car and shot the doe again. Bowhunter wounding rates aren't the only ones that are high...

07-Apr-15
Actually Dale,the team you brought was a huge asset.If you would have been able to stay involved it would have gotten better.It was a good deal at first and was working as planned.Like everything,politics soon takes over and when that happens,things start to degrade.I said from the beginning that if it ever turned into a private hunting club,I'd be done.That's pretty much what happened so I haven't been involved in about 5 years.I still get a couple dmap tags and hunt the perimeter but I have nothing else to do with it.

07-Apr-15
Anti-hunters will always be the way they are, so "playing into their hands" is simply a moot phrase that is meaningless. You can't make them more anti-hunting with words. I guess worrying about the feelings of anti-hunters plays into their hands as well.

07-Apr-15
You'll never win over an anti-hunter.However,the anti-hunters are always trying to win over the non-hunters.When you play into the hands of the anti-hunters,you can sway the non-hunters to their side.That's what you have to be careful of.That's especially true when you do it in pubic or on a public message board.

07-Apr-15
The bottom line is they have a problem. A situation they want to change. So far they haven't found a solution. Hunters can be the solution.

Those people see wounded deer. They see them hit by cars. They see them laying dead in the middle of their streets. AND... since they live in Pennsylvania some of them are hunters and the vast majority of them at least know someone who is a hunter whether it's a family member or a coworker. Since when are snipers any more ethical than hunters anyway?

I see it as an opportunity to make them appreciate what we do. Your cup is half empty, mine is half full.

08-Apr-15
Yes they do have a problem but hunters aren't the answer to it.In order for hunting to be effective,you have to have room for hunters to hunt.A few small open wooded areas will not get the population reduced.I see no reason why hunters shouldn't be allowed to hunt those areas,if they exist but they won't take care of the problem.

These situations always come back around to emotions not facts.I used facts to overcome the emotions of people who didn't think a hunt would work and it took several years to do so.In my case,it was a rural area with 3500 acres of open space where there was little chance of contact between hunters and non-hunters.Trust me,getting a hunt approved in that case was no easy task.If the hunting were to take place on private residential lots,there would still be no hunting.

08-Apr-15
There is not enough open area for hunters to be effective in managing the deer population. That is plain to see with the map I posted.

08-Apr-15
Convince all of the landowners in that area of Mt. Lebanon to spread one bucketful of corn per day for 10 days.

That should be a sufficient amount to kill all the deer in that area. Unless, of course, the squirrels and 'coons get into it. Then they may have to extend the feeding to 15-20 days.

15-May-15
Guess the BMW's gotta learn to COEXIST.

31-May-15
haha... funny.

To those who say there isn't enough room: You can shoot deer off of a person's back porch as long as him and any adjacent neighbors give you permission.

01-Jun-15
Good luck finding enough adjacent landowners that would allow you to not only shoot within 50 yards of their houses but also allow access to track and recover wounded deer.I'm sure you'd find a few situations that would allow that but not near enough for hunters to effectively reduce the deer herd.

01-Jun-15
Heck Mule boy, you always did that without anyone's permission.. :)

02-Jun-15
Yeah, we have many private communities in the Poconos very similar to this. Lots of people think of the deer(and bear) as their pets. They feed them and name them. Look up what happened this year in The Hideout. They were over-run with deer and had a similar cull. Neighbors and antis were up in arms. There were protests and the cull almost did not happen. Very bitter battle to try to stop it. It was all over the news.

02-Jun-15

Rut Nut's Link
Click here

20-Jul-15

Dave G. 's Link
It looks like this issue is going to be revisited, with plans to use archers.

20-Jul-15
Former UBP President and former convention organizer extrordinaire Jody Maddock is part of this group. Don't sell him short as he's done some amazing things in this arena. I'll be watching this closely. Jody and I sat at the same table at the convention, And we spent a little time discussing this. If council gives them the ability to do what they need, they'll get it done. Good luck to White Buffalo! iPad spell checker says Maddox:)

http://www.whitebuffaloinc.org

20-Jul-15
Good! Let archers play a role! Of course if you read the yuppie, city folk comments, the problems are people SPEEDING and hitting deer. yes, of course! It has nothing to do with deer overpopulation! If everyone would just slow down, the deer would not reproduce and eat people's shrubs! ;-)

20-Jul-15
If you go to the white Buffalo website, and click about us, you will see under the page "team" is a picture of Jody Maddock.

22-Jul-15
I know Merlin, the contractor and I have briefly discussed this with him. He is not only a decent, caring man but a skilled hunter and outdoorsman (person). The situation was a mess from the start, compounded with weather and natural food supplies that made sucessful baiting impossible. Merlin's group by and large had their hands tied.

• Sitka Gear