Surf & Turf 30-Mar-15
Screwball 30-Mar-15
smokey 30-Mar-15
smokey 30-Mar-15
FIP 30-Mar-15
smokey 30-Mar-15
Antler Whore 31-Mar-15
24-Mar-15
New to the site! Wondering if anyone has any "custom" mineral lick recipes that they use? Anyone have any favorites that are off the shelf? I don't own a whole lot of acreage but looking to add some sites this spring...have put out some trace mineral in the past. Thanks for the input.

24-Mar-15

Naz 's Link
IMO anything with a majority salt in it works, and regular trace mineral blocks for cattle are fine at far less than you'll pay for custom "deer" mineral blocks, bagged blends and jugs of various liquid-based concoctions.

Many hunters/wildlife watchers hope they change the law sometime as it's one of the most commonly broken ones as it's been going on for decades and many despite the "new" rules after CWD's discovery don't even seem to realize salt/mineral is considered "bait." Salt/mineral licks are illegal in bait/feed ban counties and must be within 50 yards of an occupied dwelling in other counties outside of the deer hunting seasons. But, don't tell that to the deer that lick the cattle mineral in pastures. ;) Honestly, I believe it's more hype than help, as bucks (if they grew old enough, had good food and good genetics) grew huge racks "back in the day" long before mineral licks were around. Take the Jordan buck, for instance! But if trace minerals help lactating does, too, great. And many hunters do it just to get off-season photos to see what's visiting in their area. Some of my best "deer" memories came from my Grandpa's old "salt lick" (salt block on a post) four-plus decades ago. Could sneak in there almost any summer evening and see deer nearby, and watched my first fawn up close with its mother at the lick one evening. Mesmerizing!

http://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/pubs/wm/WM0456.pdf

24-Mar-15
Not legal in most of the State unless within 50 yards of your home. In CWD areas not legal at all.

24-Mar-15
Fyi, Its illegal statewide.

25-Mar-15
Moved here from a state that allowed it outside of the season. Thanks for the input, I'll take a look at it. Sorry to have wasted the hard drive space with the question...

25-Mar-15
Prior to the ban I would dump granular mineral salt (plain farm version) on the ground at my favorite stand. After decades of use you could park a small ATV inside the hole that the deer made by eating the salty dirt.

25-Mar-15
Cedar swamp, Don't worry about "wasting hard drive space" it was an honest question and you got your answer. Welcome aboard!

25-Mar-15

Novemberforever's Link
Here are the regs on baiting/minerals

25-Mar-15
Cedar Swamp, although it is the law it doesn't seem to be a priority among the DNR. There are many people that post pics all over the net each year of illegal feed/mineral sites. The DNR does nothing about it, so imo it's not that big of a deal to them. I don't really agree with the law, but it is a law and I follow it.

25-Mar-15
Had them linked in an earlier post, too. Not illegal statewide unless you mean out in the woodlands outside of deer season.

25-Mar-15
Naz, it's illegal beyond your backyard statewide now. In deer season, for the remaining baiting counties it is legal, 2 gallons/40 acres and must be removed by end of deer season. If anyone thinks the Dnr turns a cheek, call your local warden, walk him out to your mineral site and bring your checkbook.

25-Mar-15
That's what I meant .... not illegal statewide unless you meant in the woodlands outside of deer season (beyond your backyard - unless you live in the woods! ;)). IMO outside of CWD zones, most wardens wouldn't give two hoots about a mineral lick. Sure, they'll respond to a complaint, but they won't go looking IMO. Also IMO, mineral is not needed. The guys dumping the pricey store-bought bags would have big bucks with or without it, simply because they allow bucks to live long enough to get big headgear. Can't compare what happens inside a fence, either. Those deer see far less stress, far more quality food and have top genetics.

25-Mar-15
November, if they aren't turning the other cheek. How do you explain the hundreds of pics online every year with bait/mineral in plain site. I don't even try to look for it and see it. If they put forth a little effort with an office person online. They could do follow ups with wardens in the field. Of course if you march them out to a site they will ticket it. But if they have to do the work, they will more than likely avoid it.

25-Mar-15
Please help me clarify in my mind the reasons why having a mineral site all year is wrong or bad. As I see it, the deer crave the minerals more so in the spring and summer and really have no or little interest in them during the hunting season(s). I know it is similar in some ways to baiting...drawing them to a certain spot..but unless there is a pile of corn next to the mineral site..they have no interest in them (during hunting seasons) as their needs and wants have changed dramatically. It seems to me, it is far better to help keep the herd healthy for the upcoming winter and for the long term health of the herd.

25-Mar-15
Nose to nose, saliva transfer, thats the concern.

25-Mar-15
My question is do the deer even need, or benefit, from mineral licks? We all know some huge deer come from the north woods, western states and Canada where there is no baiting or mineral licks put out. The deer seem to survive and prosper just fine without man's putting out minerals.

Or is it that we just prefer a little salt on our venison! LOL!

25-Mar-15
Just like BoB seed@10 times the cost of the same feedmill seed, it's hunter feel good stuff. Btw, Canadaians are prolific baiters.

25-Mar-15
Some are baiters, some are not. Some provinces allow it, some don't. Hunted Manitoba, no bait, but those pea/bean fields were incredible! Ducks and deer galore.

25-Mar-15
Also there is not much evidence that it benefits the deer either.

25-Mar-15
Naz, did something change in SK the past year ? Been baiting friendly for a long time.

From what I have observed, throwing out minerals may be the biggist violation in the state.

25-Mar-15
Sorry, was long ago and I meant Manitoba …. we were on the border with Saskatchewan and fished walleyes in a river there, probably why it was on my mind.

26-Mar-15
If it was legal why do it? It has never been proven to do anything for buck antler growth, for lactating does, or for any other deer. To me, it would be a total waste of money.

One benefit, it is a great place to put a trail camera over. Other than that, why bother if it was legal? BC

26-Mar-15
You wont find any credible study for antler growth in spite of claims from the trophy rock type products. It may help fetus health if those trace minerals are lacking but thats even a stretch. Bottom line its illegal.

26-Mar-15
Illegal in bait ban counties, but legal within 50 yards of occupied dwellings in non-ban counties all year. Many rural folks have legal backyard licks. Also legal in season in non-bait-ban counties. I wonder if ag damage permit properties would be considered a year-round hunting season? ;)

26-Mar-15
Well just put it out during any hunting season and take it out the last day There will be plenty enough in the soil to get the deer to use in in the Spring and summer.

26-Mar-15
It would be still illegal because it's in the soil or them magic stumps.

26-Mar-15
As already stated, a warden might go investigate if he or she gets a complaint. Other than that, forget it. There are likely tens of thousands of mineral licks out in the woods, fields and yards around the state, whether recently placed or residual from blocks, bags or jugs placed/poured. IMO, unlike winter feeding, mineral licks don't artificially lure large numbers of deer to a particular area, but rather the local deer occasionally use them. It's not like a stocked feeding site (esp. those that don't "measure two gallons") where every night at dusk a pile of whitetails shows up after dark and fights over the goods.

27-Mar-15
Does anyone know if there's a benefit in it for livestock? (salt blocks & mineral blocks)

27-Mar-15

smokey's Link
Well here is some thoughts on mineral supplements but not for the reasons most hunters put them out.

27-Mar-15
Guy asks for a mineral recipe and receives information on the law. Must be on Bowsite.com. RIDICULOUS TO SAY THE LEAST ! !

27-Mar-15
"It would still be illegal because it's in the soil" lol are you serious? The warden is going to do a soil test. Lmao

27-Mar-15
Soil test is $14.00, fine is $495.00 I think. That's easy money right there with very little investigation time needed. But your much smarter than I. Feel better now?

28-Mar-15
Drop Tine- I actually thought you were joking. What do you do with the mineral site after the season? I don't believe in mineral but I'm guessing that no warden in the country is going to test your soil for 'leftover' mineral. Lol

28-Mar-15
I think this discussion has been good, very much on topic.

RJN, you are correct. Very, very rarely enforced. BC

29-Mar-15

>>>--arrow1-->'s embedded Photo
>>>--arrow1-->'s embedded Photo
Arpyoo asked,,Please help me clarify in my mind the reasons why having a mineral site all year is wrong or bad...

November..said,,Nose to nose, saliva transfer, thats the concern.

That's why bait plots should also be ban. There is 24/7/365 plots with nose to nose. Here is just a sample.

29-Mar-15
Arrow- your saying a 10" salt block with 2 deer licking it at the same time is equal to 2 deer feeding in a bean field?

29-Mar-15
Nope,,, just the relationship Nov. made to nose to nose contact. It really doesn't matter if its 2 deer or 20 its the nose to nose that the antibaiters hang their hat on. I don't care if people bait or not but bait plotting (which I do ) is just as bad or worse. Tons of bait in one area with lots of nose to nose contact or deer eating off the same pumpkin, turnip, corn cob ect. leaving behind their salvia for the next deer to consume VS 2 gallons with limited time and deer which can have nose to nose. Ban one Ban them all.

29-Mar-15
Deer like salt because it taste good. Call it instinct or whatever but deer, cattle, horses, squirrels etc. come to it regularly. They start in Spring and keep on it all year. Been that way for a hundred years anyway that's what my Grandpa told me from His lumberjack Days. They put out salt to shoot deer and bear to feed the Lumberjacks

29-Mar-15
Been using this for four years. Can't hurt is our families attitude. No proof that mineral really helps no proof it doesn't.

Hey fellas. I worked at a feed mill where there was an agricultural scientist available. He told use how to make dear cocaine. 50# Trace Mineral Salt, 50# calcuim/lime, 10# lb Magnesium Oxide, and 50# Soda/ Sodium Bicarbonate. Makes 160 pounds. The Mag Ox is for horn growth specifically. We mixed and sold literally tons of this mix. IT works!? Mix it with water and pour it out on the ground or a stump or whatever. They will literally eat a whole in the ground to get it

Add sodium bicarbonate. Active ingredient in Deer Cocaine

I priced this out today, 160 pounds is 36.50 at the local feed mill, they will mix and bag it.

29-Mar-15
As far as nose to nose, I guess if you buy into the fear mongers and WDNR war on deer, you are concerned with CWD. We are not. Been around forever no link or jump to humans. Like global warming we have had true weather records for 120 years and the world is now ending. The earth goes through cycles. We discovered the prions in the 60-70,s in Colorado, I believe. Now that it's was found in Wisconsin wipe out the deer. HMMMMM.

As far as food plots, I raise 12-15 head of beef not on our family hunting land. All of our food plots have been built so they can be harvested if need be. Whatever the crop is it is for our beef. So find a local farmer who will be interested in bailing, or cut yourself and donate to a farmer. No saying how much it has to be. It is an agricultural field now. 2 acre field and mineral lick are not even close to being the same. Sit on them or video deer behavior. What ridiculous statement. All grazing and browsing animals will go to the prime food even in an 80 acre field with the Highest ranking animal getting the best food source and thus group animals. But again if your concerned with CWD spreading, follow the WDNR and insurance company plans, and wipe out the herd!

29-Mar-15
Screwball +1.

29-Mar-15
But Screwball. deer have antlers.

"No proof that mineral really helps no proof it doesn't" So the studies in my link do not exist?

29-Mar-15
A Warden in Lincoln cty told me that minerals are becoming the poachers choice instead of corn. He said a patrol plane can spot the yellow stuff a 1/2 mile up.

Can't see the minerals at all.

29-Mar-15
Off-season or in-season poaching? Minerals in-season are not near the draw they are in spring and summer, or early (warm weather) bow season. No competition for them like bait/feed so no hurry for deer to come sneaking in at dusk, either.

29-Mar-15
But Smokey, Maybe I misunderstand your post but take it as this article proves mineral helps.

the ending to the article from QDMA states clearly: "MAY" What does all this mean to the average deer hunter and manager? The results of these studies suggest that mineral supplementation – especially calcium, phosphorus, and sodium – (((may provide some benefit,))) especially in situations where deer are nutritionally deprived or areas with minerally deficient soils.

I guess that is definitive proof that mineral helps. (sarcasm)

29-Mar-15
Screwball its obvious Smokey did not even read or can not comprehend the links he provided. You pulled a line right form the story and he questions it. LOL

30-Mar-15
Surf and Turf, I don't recall you ever posting here before and the first time you do you come off insulting.

FYI, I read and fully comprehend the link I provided. Yes minerals "MAY" provide some benefit but not fully proven. I believe most hunters place them as a hunting tool (for cameras, antler growth, etc.) and not for health of the deer. Not all but the majority. How many are testing the soils to determine if there is a need for extra minerals? If so, what minerals are needed to supplement?

There have been studies showing a possibility of some minerals could prevent CWD for instance. Maybe and it would be great if we could find something but until then it is not proven.

30-Mar-15
One reason deer hit minerals so much in the spring is that the plants have not greened up yet so there is little mineral available. As summer goes on use will drop as we see little use come season. For that part of the year they might be of benefit but better habitat management over the year can be sufficient and likely minimize other issues. At least in most of Wisconsin.

30-Mar-15
If you thought my comment was insulting then you have very thin skin Smokey. I merely found it funny that Screwball basically took a line right out of the link you posted and you questioned it. I then put LOL after the comment. This is far from my first post I have been on bowsite since around 2002. I post periodically just not all the time like some. If you would like to take a look at me go to the kill thread this year.

30-Mar-15
I have spoke with Dr. Alt, Kroll, and multiple other biologists and nutritionists involved in deer development. Far before any deer czar etc. We do not raise deer but have done all we can in the mineral deficient area we own property. I have yet to have had any of them give any conclusive proof mineral is the key. Buffalo county and their surrounding counties are blessed. Age and nutrition are key. Can't year round feed but can supplement all we can legally. This is why we designed our food plot areas to be harvest-able in case the rules change in the future.

30-Mar-15
"can not comprehend the links he provided" Insulting but you can't comprehend that it seems. I did not question the line he used just said it is not proven to help.It may or may not. Also, deer cocaine is hardly a balanced mineral supplement. Anybody want to talk protein? More lack of comprehension by you.

I am sure I missed your previous posts since I don't follow every thread since this site has taken a dive. I have been here since the start too.

30-Mar-15
Oh, I looked you up in the kill photo section. Nothing there. The kill thread is not listed anymore either. Congrats if you had success, it would be nice if I could see the thread or the photos. If anyone can link the thread please do.

30-Mar-15

FIP's Link
Surf word of advice here.....never and I mean NEVER question Smokey Joe he has been there and did that a 100 times and is very well educated:^) Cray cray if you know what I mean.

Here you go smokey. Took me about 3 seconds to find it using the search engine....seems you don't know everything:^)

30-Mar-15
FIP, try to be civil. I used the search engine and found nothing but thanks for sharing. I don't understand why you think I am not allowed to give my opinion. It seems you are the one that has issues with those with experience and education. I welcome discussion from others as long as it is civil and mature. I have never said I know everything, as a matter of fact I continue to have an open mind and try to continue to expand my knowledge.

Surf, nice buck congrats.

31-Mar-15
Most areas will have some of the nicest spikes and fork horns minerals can raise .... unless they are allowed to age... Minerals does nothing .. I have neighbors who have wallets with no bottom... if you can dump it... They are... and all that ever shows up on cameras are mature spikes and forks... LOL

As posted earlier and I agree.. why waste money on mineral if the herd is shot off annually??

May as well buy beer instead

• Sitka Gear