Dr. Williams 26-Mar-15
R.I.P. 28-Mar-15
Dr. Williams 28-Mar-15
SmoothieJonez 29-Mar-15
Dr. Williams 29-Mar-15
bigbuckbob 30-Mar-15
Dr. Williams 30-Mar-15
26-Mar-15
With 2 members of the public in the audience and no reporters or antis, Tuesday night the Guilford Selectmen voted 5-0 to permit limited archery hunting on a recently purchased 600-acre piece of Town land. Just an FYI.

26-Mar-15
Sounds like a good place for me to get some pie. Thanks Scott.

26-Mar-15
Yup. It was amazing when we presented the management plan for the property we came up with over 2 years, all anyone wanted to talk about was pies. The room was packed with antis screaming at mostly me saying the same old thing. "If you hunt pies, you reduce the number of pies on the landscape making conditions better for the remaining female pies. So when the female pie has a little pie in the oven, 2 pies come out and if you reduce densities further, 3 pies can come out of the same oven." And the same old thing "during pie hunting season, hunters hunt pies and the pies get scared and run across roads which results in increased pies in the windshield. Drivers can't see because of all the whipped cream and cause significant damage to their vehicles and others."

From my perspective, the antis have need to come up with some new material. And it was amazing that on the day of the vote, there were no antis in the crowd. Now look who has pie on their face! But at least we have a foot in the door for hunting pies in Guilford!

26-Mar-15
Good for Guilford! Do you have to be a guilford resident to apply?

26-Mar-15
I don't think that detail has been worked out yet. But I would guess that residency within town would not be necessary.

28-Mar-15
I'm from Gtown, never herd of this at all...... Where is the parcel located? And is it the only parcel or are they gonna open all the others too?

28-Mar-15

Dr. Williams's Link
You don't remember all this drama from 2 years ago? Julie Lewin lives in town and is one of the queen Antis. It was a circus to get this done. Glad our selectmen know what is right and what is emotion.

29-Mar-15
600 acres is a big piece of property for Connecticut. Any idea how many pies are estimated to be holding in that piece Dr. Williams? Do you know how many pies they are looking to reduce?

29-Mar-15
I can honestly say that I do not know how many pies are on the property. I have not made an attempt to census these pies. However, the previous landowner had a fantastic history of property management from timber harvest rotation, to field maintenance, to pie management. All we did as the management plan committee was recomend that the same land management strategies continue, just under town ownership instead of private ownership. I'm sure there are folks on this site that can better estimate pie abundance in Guilford based on other town surveys, despite the fact that I live in Guilford. Part of the pie management plan is to get a baseline pie abundance before pie management activities commence, as well as additional pie surveys triennially.

30-Mar-15
Dr Willams

you say "previous landowner had a fantastic history of property management from timber harvest rotation, to field maintenance, to pie management" which suggests that there WAS hunting being allowed on this property? Is that correct?

30-Mar-15
Yes. Was hunted heavily for a long time. Then when the town bought it, ownership changed from private to municipal. That was the only change.

• Sitka Gear