DeerBuilder.com
Safe act compliant?
New York
Contributors to this thread:
skipmaster1 31-Mar-15
CurveBow 31-Mar-15
bow shot 02-Apr-15
31-Mar-15
From what I understand, the state really isn't approving anything. Just like they do with broadheads. If it meets the characteristics defined as legal or rather has none that are deemed illegal, than you are good to go. You can have any semi auto as long as it does not have one " military feature" such as pistol grip or flash suppressor. They have been selling them with funky stocks and "AR Spurs" ( a one finger grip indtead of a pistol grip) in NY for a while now.

31-Mar-15
What Skip said. You can buy a stock from Thordsen Customs, use a carbine buffer tube assembly (your Remington R15 would need a new carbine buffer tube, buffer sping and buffer), install them and you're good to go as long as you don't have a muzzle brake or flash hider. Oh, and yeah, 10 round limit on the magazine (5 for hunting - DEC regulations from way back, not UNsafe act related).

If you buy a Thordsen stock, but the extension kit. Changing your hand position makes the stock feel too short, despite it being exactly the same length as the AR15 stocks. The extension kits come in 1/2 inch increments. I added 1/2" to some stocks and they feel better now. If you buy a stock in a store, be sure uts the most current version. Older units have a slip on recoil pad (or maybe I added one) and the new stocks have the rubber pad held on by two screws. When you buy an extender kit, they send you new, longer SS screws for a proper, no hassle attachment.

>>>---- F*** cuomo----->

02-Apr-15
Well, if you see it on the rack at Gander or Dicks or wherever, its "approved". The trick is this:

There you are hunting coyotes with your "approved" AR. Some bonehead liberal left-wing whack job sees you leaving the field and calls the cops because you rifle looks like one of those scary ones that they use to kill little kids. They find you, take you weapon, and possibly arrest you. A couple years later, you are told everything is ok, but you should go to anger management classes and sooner or later, you might get what's left of you rifle back, if they remember (every one's busy!).

That my friend, is NYS, and it is no exaggeration.

• Sitka Gear