notme 02-Apr-15
steve 02-Apr-15
bigbuckbob 02-Apr-15
Tall 1 02-Apr-15
Jerry Leblanc 03-Apr-15
kent 06-Apr-15
Straight Arrow 09-Apr-15
01-Apr-15
Hello all, I have two hens skinned and frozen from last fall to cook this weekend. does anyone have a great recipe to share--Thanks Kent

01-Apr-15
Put them in a smoker.

01-Apr-15
I've cooked them skinned inside one of those baking bags and they came out ok. I put a brown sugar type of dry rub on it with honey. Threw in a bunch of vegetables and cooked it up. Came out pretty decent. But don't overcook it....

01-Apr-15
I GRIND THEM UP AND MAKE TURKEY SAUSAGE AND BURGERS. YOU CAN ADD WHAT YOU LIKE TO THE MEAT. Al

01-Apr-15
Either put in an oven bag and put it in the oven or try marinating the crap out of it and wrap up in tinfoil in pieces and put on the grill. I just had the last of my tom from last spring and cooked it in the crockpot but I cant say it was great. Seemed dry to me.

01-Apr-15
Either put in an oven bag and put it in the oven or try marinating the crap out of it and wrap up in tinfoil in pieces and put on the grill. I just had the last of my tom from last spring and cooked it in the crockpot but I cant say it was great. Seemed dry to me.

01-Apr-15

01-Apr-15
Dont know how 3 posts happened. huh

01-Apr-15
The breast meat is about the only good thing on them. I take only that and the rear quarters off and have tried cooking the quarters a bunch of different ways, and still can't find one that is worth mentioning. Plucking, stuffing, and cooking only works for farm raised birds.

01-Apr-15
Cut them against the grain about 1/2 thick. Then bang them out with a meat mallet. Once they are pounded out dredge in flour, egg, and Italian style bread crumbs, in that order. Now, take them and fry them in hot oil in a cast iron skillet. When they have browned up nice and crisp, remove them to a few paper towels to drain. Once they are done you can eat them a whole bunch of ways, I make wild turkey parm, wild turkey sandwiches, or just dip them in anything you like. I'll dip them in honey and dig in. You can do just about anything with them once they are prepped like this. I make plates of them for parties and they never last. Damn good. The wild turkey parm is outstanding and always a big hit.

01-Apr-15
Deep fried......

01-Apr-15
Legs and thighs often get wasted but try this: throw in slow cooker with some broth and water-8-10 hrs (low and slow). Pull out meat and pull from tendons and bones and put meat in bowl. Clean out slowcooker and put meat back in with a bottle of sweet baby rays for about a 1/2 hour on low. Meat should be like pulled pork consistency. Serve on rolls. Pretty good way to use the legs and thighs

02-Apr-15
theyre good for banging nails if you misplace your hammer,lol

02-Apr-15
My wife makes turkey parm. or deep fries the breasts and makes crepes or croquettes with the dark meat everyone says they are great either way.Just add hard work and beer before you sit down to eat..:)

02-Apr-15
dont forget teeth and intestinal fortitude..lol

02-Apr-15
Fail safe, absolutely best recipe.

You need to take a round stone that you'd find in a stream (nice and smooth), about the size of a softball and rub the stone with olive oil and the salt and pepper.

Place the bird in an oven bag with the stone placed inside the bird, like stuffing and then bake in a 350 oven for 90 minutes (don't over cook!!)

Here's the key!! Throw away the bird and eat the stone. :)

I use the same recipe for blue fish except you need an ocean stone, not a sea stone.

02-Apr-15
I take the breast and cut into 1" wide by however long the breast is. Like long chicken tenders. Then marinate in italian dressing for and hour or so. Then right onto the grill. Cook on all four sides (not long 2-3 mins per side at most) just get the meat white all the way thru. Then enjoy. This should work in a frying pan also, I just prefer the flavor grom the grill. I just finished all that I had and cant wait for spring season good luck

02-Apr-15
turkey pot pie

02-Apr-15
steve,minus the turkey..thems the only thighs i wont eat..

02-Apr-15
I only use the breast .

02-Apr-15
I haven't seen a breast in a long time!! :)

02-Apr-15
Hi Kent! Long time Buddy I hope you're well. I do exactly what one pin does and it's always delicious. I also do a Chipotle marinade and some terriaki too but the Italian dressing is good. Just don't overcook the strips. I also have done pot pies and will crock pot thighs and drumsticks and use the cooked meat for stews and soup. Roasting wasn't a good method...did it with my first one many years ago and it was rough to get down.

03-Apr-15
I make turkey jerky and it comes out pretty good.

06-Apr-15
Thanks all for the help. I made a marinade out of spicy barbeque sauce and a large can of spicy baked beans let stand overnight in the fridge. removed the parts and covered them in bacon then poured the marinade over the parts covered in a roasting pan and cooked for 4 hrs at 225 deg. WELL it turned out like pulled pork. Served on English muffins with cheese melt. We did eat it and lots left over. my Son took a bunch back to RI. were he lives to share with friends----still looking for something else if we are successful this spring ! Once again thanks to all---Kent

09-Apr-15
Try brining, you can find the recipe on the internet for a brine (salt, sugar water etc.), and then braise or cook like you would a stew or short ribs. Usually carrots, onions & celery with tomato, wine and stock

• Sitka Gear