Zinger 03-Apr-15
Redclub 03-Apr-15
SteveD 03-Apr-15
Naz 03-Apr-15
Mike F 03-Apr-15
SteveD 04-Apr-15
Redclub 04-Apr-15
01-Apr-15
DNR using car kill assessments, research, and winter severity index to help set Antlerless only Season in Waupaca County By Central Office April 1, 2015 MADISON - In order to bring the deer herd in Waupaca County to recommended numbers the 2015 deer hunting season will be limited to Antlerless only. This decision was made due to the high number of deer complaints in Waupaca County in 2014. The complaints included Agricultural, Forestry and Car collisions. The mild winter and the expected deer population explosion has caused the DNR to enact the Antlerless only season under Emergency rules and will only be in effect for the 2015 season.Other counties also being considered at this time are Shawano, Outagamie, Marathon, and Buffallo. For more information about deer management and health in Wisconsin or the winter severity, visit the DNR web site at dnr.wi.gov and search keywords "deer." FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: Antlerless Only, 608-555-5555

01-Apr-15
Ok..it's April 1st! Your killing me....

01-Apr-15
Good one

01-Apr-15
Should have used a real phone number. That would've been hilarious.

I did that a few years ago on the blog. Got in all sorts of trouble over it - but it was worth it.

02-Apr-15
Wouldn't be a bad idea! I would enjoy being in the woods and the numbers of mature bucks in the next few years would be well worth it!

02-Apr-15
Believe it or not, antlerless-only seasons are ON THE TABLE for CDACs to consider beginning in 2016, or so we're told. My feeling is, while a great idea for herd control and monster bucks, DNR would lose license sales due to the many who just won't shoot does and the many others who will, but also want a shot at a buck.

02-Apr-15
Sheesh, could we please stop commenting on any thing that's proposed that might possibly be for the betterment of the resource and hunting with the DNR license sales pitch talk.

02-Apr-15
That should should say without instead of with.

02-Apr-15
Poaching would skyrocket. Guys just simply would not buy a license and still shoot a buck.

03-Apr-15
"Sheesh, could we please stop commenting on any thing that's proposed that might possibly be for the betterment of the resource and hunting without the DNR license sales pitch talk."

If that was directed toward my comment, you're off base. I said, "great idea for herd control and monster bucks," but whether you like it or not the "license sales pitch talk" is what pays for this show. RJN gets it. You thought EAB was unpopular? At least you could earn a buck! License sales would plunge under a doe/fawn only scenario.

03-Apr-15
test

03-Apr-15
If it would happen I would not shoot a doe BUT have others shoot them and give me a large share of the meat.

03-Apr-15
If being off base means disagreeing with someones comments or opinions at times,well so be it then.

03-Apr-15
It's fine to disagree, but the way you went about it seemed like you were taking a potshot, or believed such a season structure would actually be popular. I ask again, if EAB — which allowed a buck to be shot, even pre-qualified for a year in advance — was despised, how much do you think an antlerless-only year would be embraced? IMO it'd be an epic fail on so many levels with fewer antlerless killed than in a regular season when many "buck" hunters eventually settle for some meat.

03-Apr-15
Naz-

You and I know it wouldn't work, not enough participation. Just think how quiet the woods would be and how the deer would act. It would be great. Just like hunting the Little Missouri River bottoms in North Dakota during the rut!!

04-Apr-15
Naz, disagree with your analogy.Nothing gained ,nothing lost.I apologize for getting of the Topic of this thread to begin with. Time to go work on the "fixed Crawl" with the bow.

MIke F +1.

04-Apr-15
A year or two before I started deer hunting there was a doe only season (I believe). You also couldn't carry a rifle once your tag was used. My brother and Dad told me of war that was going on,the logging roads were saturated with blood. It took quite a few years before the herd recovered. At the time a hunter could see herds of 50 deer, all does. This was of course in Northern Wi. as very few deer here in Central wi.at that time.

• Sitka Gear