Sitka Gear
Pine ridge Merriam's?
Nebraska
Contributors to this thread:
badfish 05-Apr-15
AndyJ 06-Apr-15
05-Apr-15
I just got back from 3 days of hunting hard for a Merriam up in the pine ridge area. Mostly hunted the Nebraska national forest and surrounding areas. Day 1 I hiked so many miles I had huge blisters on my heels, this Minnesota boy isn't used to the hills. The blisters completely slowed me down for the next 2 days even after patching them up. I only saw 1 hen on public land and never even heard a gobble. I saw numerous on private property. By day 3 I had a flock roosted but they flew down the other way and ignored me. I was just starting to figure them out but had to leave to get back home for easter. I do plan on making a return trip next week before gun opener.

So my questions are where do they go during the day? I never saw a single one in a field, they were all relating to creek bottoms and they just seemed to disappear about an hour after they flew off the roost.

What's the population like in the burnt areas. I did see turkeys around but not many. Are those areas worth hunting?

And anyone got any other tips? I keep reading Merriams are easier than easterns and I have to disagree after this trip. Feel free to pm me if you don't feel comfortable posting for everyone to see.

06-Apr-15
It still seems a little early for any really good action. I'm seeing some birds but I'm getting few really active gobblers and most of what I'm hearing is really weak, uninterested gobbles. I guess my best advice is to try again in a week or two. I do know other hunters who have seen really good action, but from what I've been hearing that is the exception.

• Sitka Gear