Naz 13-Apr-15
10orbetter 13-Apr-15
huntperch 14-Apr-15
JackPine Acres 15-Apr-15
Ridge Runner 16-Apr-15
Ridge Runner 16-Apr-15
happygolucky 16-Apr-15
10-Apr-15
Good luck to the youth gun or bow... let's see some pics!

11-Apr-15
Well so far - that aint happening. Very little gobbling this morning and a couple of Toms strutting some 300 yards out.

Hopefully others had better luck - let see those pictures guys/gals!!

Good luck to all!!

11-Apr-15
Lots of gobbling by me ...only had a hen come in to the set but we're back out this afternoon

11-Apr-15
My soon to be 13 year old daughter (tomorrow) decided last night she would rather spend today with her friends. Oh well she has a tag for 3rd season.

11-Apr-15
No problem Rut...

I got excited when my 10 yr old daughter who bow hunted last year wanted to shoot a turkey this year. She broke her arm over the winter, thought she shoot one with a gun.......she doesn't like them and chose not to hunt.

You should be proud she has your interest. I'm sure you two will enjoy your weekend.

12-Apr-15
Gobbling really good this morning. ..they seem to be more spread out than yesterday...fingers crossed!

12-Apr-15
Well the fat lady sang and it wasn't pretty! Skunked!

Very little gobbling this AM and nothing after 6:30 AM. Sat till 11 AM and never saw a bird.

Still had fun, lots of laughs a couple of sandwich's and pop to make the hunt!

We found a grouse drumming log. Should put a camera on that spot - would be cool to have some of that video with audio!

Till next year!

12-Apr-15

bowhuntndoug's embedded Photo
bowhuntndoug's embedded Photo
9 hours in blind Saturday called in one but no shot. Today 45 minutes in blind - 24lbs 3 oz and 9 1/2 beard.

12-Apr-15
congrats on that very fine bird bowhuntndoug.

12-Apr-15
Congratts to all the successful hunters and parents. If you got to spend some woods time with your kids this weekend, it was a success. Whether you got a bird or not.

13-Apr-15
took step daughter we had a blast

13-Apr-15

Zebrakiller's embedded Photo
Zebrakiller's embedded Photo
try this again

13-Apr-15
Congrats to every youth and their mentor who were able to enjoy the 2015 youth season.

13-Apr-15

huntperch's embedded Photo
huntperch's embedded Photo
Took my 11 year old nephew on his second season and got his first bird Saturday. 25# 10" beard. Lots of gobbles on the roost mostly quiet when they hit the ground.

13-Apr-15

1984ta's embedded Photo
1984ta's embedded Photo
After not seeing or hearing a thing on Saturday my son got it done Sunday morning! First turkey, to say he was excited would be an understatement... 23lbs, 3/4" spurs, 9 1/2" beard

13-Apr-15
Wow, awesome! Congrats to all that went! A lot of good memories were made that day. BC

13-Apr-15

FiveRs's embedded Photo
FiveRs's embedded Photo
I took a young girl out on our local learn to hunt, she was able to connect on a 22.6lb Tom with a 9 1/2 inch beard and 15/16" & 7/8" spurs. We hunted all day, except for the mandatory appreciation lunch that lasts about 2 1/2 hours, and she connected about 6:00pm. She had one chance at a jake just before lunch, but it didn't pan out.

I attached a picture of the tail feathers. Has anyone ever seen tail feathers that swirl like this? It was only on one side of the fan, the other side had normal looking feathers.

13-Apr-15
That swirl is cool

13-Apr-15
FiveRs, that is really cool. I've never even seen a photo of one. BC

13-Apr-15
WOW - How cool!!! Congratulations to all the lucky hunters.

BIG Thanks to all those folks that believe mentoring a young person is worth the time and effort - you are the ones responsible for making changes in these young peoples life's and helping to carry on the traditions!

Hat's off!

13-Apr-15
Great job everybody. And congrats to the successful hunters.

13-Apr-15

Naz 's embedded Photo
Naz 's embedded Photo
Looks like a wild duck tail curl, very cool!!

Congrats to all the kids and mentors.

Three LTH programs in Door and Kewaunee counties, at last count, had something close to two dozen birds taken by 40+ hunters, and a number of misses. Still some winter flocks of 50+ birds in some of our spots! One flock had three toms, 20 jakes and almost 30 hens. Most jakes I've seen in years. Here's one of our many close encounters past two weekends. This one was too close … too many birds and not enough separation for the 10-year-old "accomplice" to feel comfortable enough! And for good reason in this photo. Yesterday morning had two toms full strut in two decoys at 20 yards, would not separate and had to let 'em walk (nearly a half-minute in range as they walked away, side by side; no amount of teasing would make 'em separate or come back as they walked to join the large flock).

Last night we had 51 birds march past us five minutes after closing. The wind was so strong something was spooking them (perhaps one blind 100 yards down the fence line that had blown over and was flapping in the wind …), and they stayed in the middle of the field until after sunset, then practically ran through the plowing and then walked one by one past our blind at less than 15 yards. Had the young hunter take the single shell out at quitting time, which I think was 7:31. Tonight drove by at 7:25 and 30+ birds were within 10 yards of the blind. Two of the toms stick with the main group until almost fly-up, then turn and head fast 100 yards or more away and fly up to their own favorite area.

13-Apr-15
What great pictures and even better smiles. It is what is all about. Congratulations to you all. Love seeing those young ladies getting more involved and having success. I argue that is what is going to help preserve hunting in this country. Fewer women being anti-gun and ant-hunting when they are older.

14-Apr-15

huntperch's Link
To all that were successful with your first birds. take a few minutes and go to the DNR site and fill out a first turkey certificate for them. Im sure they will be happy to receive more recognition and memories of a lifetime.

15-Apr-15
Took my 11yr old son out both days and had action both mornings. Roosted a bird but it flew down the other direction Saturday morning. After walking to the back 40 later that morning, we struck up another bird and he strutted in to 20 yards but turkey fever struck and he missed.

Sunday morning was just as exciting as we fired up a bird but couldn't get him any closer than 50 yards. Gobbled for a good 45 minutes and answered any noise in the area - Crow call, woodpecker, sandhill cranes, you name it.

Great experience and he wasn't disappointed to still have his tag leftover after the weekend. Great example of what the youth season brings to the next generation of hunters.

16-Apr-15

Ridge Runner's embedded Photo
Ridge Runner's embedded Photo
Took a friend's daughter out on Saturday morning. Great great morning. The gobblers were fired up, and the hens were talkative. Add in the songbirds and a beautiful sunrise, doesn't get much better. She harvested this great Tom at 8:10AM. The spot was 50 yards from a deer stand where he shot her first buck last fall during that youth hunt. Needless to say she's kind of claimed that spot on the farm. Not that it matters but the Tom was 23lbs / 10 inch beard / 1 inch Spurs. Congrats to all the successful youth hunters.

16-Apr-15
Congrats to everyone.Nice pics. Good job to the other Ridge Runner and his young hunter. ( on a side note, I didn't know 2 people could have the same handle.) Not that it bothers me --Ridge Runner from Brown Co.

16-Apr-15
What an awesome thread. Congrats to the mentors and kids.

• Sitka Gear