10orbetter 18-Jun-15
Turkeyhunter 29-Jun-15
10orbetter 29-Jun-15
10orbetter 06-Jul-15
10orbetter 15-Jul-15
13-Apr-15

10orbetter's embedded Photo
Here is my food plot location. It sits in the middle of three acres of woods and sees extreme conditions throughout the year. In March it floods, by July it is dry as a fart! If a big storm rolls in, it will likely flood again. Fall rolls in and the deer gravitate to the white oak and popple that surround it. I tried planting last fall and it didn't make it into October. I have increased the size to 10 yards by 14 yards while taking down some young white oak and popple. Debating whether to move the white cedar and white pine in the middle. Clay loam and very rich soil much like the gumbo you see out in North Dakota. What would you plant? I am considering planting all white cedar if I do not do a food plot again.

First picture is before raking and cutting down saplings. Second picture is after raking it. 3 PM photo.

13-Apr-15

Here is the picture after

13-Apr-15
clover..alsike and white mix

13-Apr-15
Thanks for the input Nov. I might be wrong but, it is a real crap shoot in this spot. I am going to give it one more try and if it does not take, I'll switch to white Cedar and fence it off to give them an opportunity to grow.

13-Apr-15
Is that a bench on the far side of the clearing?

13-Apr-15
Zinger it is. The reason, I will place a ground blind over it in the next week for turkey season. It is the perfect height for in a blind. Last year, I shot a nice Tom out of it. They roost very close by and after about a week, they get used to it.

14-Apr-15
If it doesn't come up with what you try, put down some wheat and oats in August. We have a spot like this and sunlight is always an issue. We have had some luck with wheat and oats as an early season plot but overall not a lot has been successful for us in our situation. We also soil test every plot so if you haven't you should, otherwise you probably won't give the spot a fair assessment.

14-Apr-15
Winter rye. It will grow well there this fall and the deer love it. Easy too

14-Apr-15
Worked on it some more tonight. Tilled it and will drag it Wednesday. After, I'll spread the lime and then 10-10-10 fertilizer with the seed. All a guy can do is try. If it doesn't do well, I will plant again in August for the fall.

14-Apr-15
I would consider clover and a apple tree on north end.

15-Apr-15
The size of the plot dictates a fall only planting of an annual. Too small for clover to not get grazed down to the ground fairly quickly. A brassica blend planted just before a rainfall in late july or early august will give you the attractant you are looking for and deer won't eat it until the first frost in mid-October.

Good luck!

20-Apr-15
I would move the pine/cedar trees in the plot, as they will just get destroyed by a buck this fall, since they are in the middle of the plot, just asking to be turned into a rubbing post.

Based on the size, and limited summer sunlight, I would keep it dead this summer, and then plant cereal grains and maybe throw in some clover this fall.

20-Apr-15
10, please keep this thread alive and post pics of the progress. I have some similar challenges this season too.

21-Apr-15

It was a good food plot while it lasted! LOL. Looks like I will be reseeding. Where there is girls, there will be boys and only a week away. Like I said, it will flood, and will go bone dry in the middle of July. I was baiting and didn't even know it! Is there really a difference?

25-Apr-15

Here are the latest images from the food plot. I pulled the card this morning. They have been in there thick this week. Like I said, I will have to reseed.

25-Apr-15
Someone mentioned oats, wheat, and rye. That is exactly what to plant in this area as those will regenerate. Plant in late August and you should have a magnet come October. Clover will get over browsed and brassicas may or may not last long depending on what you plant.

One thing with rye, oats and wheat it will grow on concrete as long as there is one granule of dirt next to it. So all the fertilizer may not be needed if you plant this.

25-Apr-15
thanks dbl lung. Has anyone ever tried planting soybean over glover to keep the deer off the clover until fall? I will keep posting pictures as my attempt either succeeds or fails. It will be interesting to see. Here is another visitor.

25-Apr-15

Sorry wrong picture. Try again

18-May-15

Here is how the plot is coming along. I did take the advice that many of you gave and planted oats in the mix. As you can see, plenty of visitors. I've made up my mind to overseed as the summer progresses. It's not great, but, not too bad either. Any additional thoughts, please feel free.

18-May-15
10 That is a nice plot. I bet you have a lot of Walkers of all kinds thru it. If you could get the seedlings to Koch themselves toward sunlight they would be well supported! :)

19-May-15
LOL! Now see there is a guy with a little sense of humor on here.

19-May-15
OK, now I am trying to figure out how I can "Koch myself toward sunlight" so I can be well supported.

10, good luck with your plot.

19-May-15
I have a backwoods plot like you are working. Its 1/2 clover (3 varieties) and the other half I plant in daikon radishes. Get your soil right and, with sunlight and water, anything will grow in Wisconsin. Take your pick, deer eat all of them at some point, IMO.

20-May-15
Thanks Tracker, any pictures. I can see with mine it will be an ongoing project this year.

25-May-15
With the warm weather and rain, it has really started to come in nicely. Three young bucks are hitting it. Would any of you fertilize to stimulate regrowth of where they have browsed?

27-May-15

Here is a picture of a buck in the food plot from yesterday. I played with it a little bit in Photoshop for fun. Just added an effect to give it a look of a painting. He is on the stump of the small oak I cut down.

09-Jun-15

It is really coming along! More like it has exploded beyond my wildest dreams. I took the advice of just about all of you and planted everything. LOL Can't remember what I have in there. Though I did overseed the low areas with turnips today. Here are some picts. of the plot now and its visitors. Looks like all the does have not dropped yet. The one is huge.

09-Jun-15

here are the visitors

09-Jun-15

Another pict.

09-Jun-15

It is about knee high. I will re-fertilize and overseed with clover come the cool nights of August. I also plan to spray it with Miracle grow during the summer. Any thoughts?

09-Jun-15
Looking good 10!

I'm a rookie at this all but wouldn't the clover be choked out if planted at this time due to the density of what is there versus being frost seeded next winter/spring?

09-Jun-15
Happy, I might be more rookie than you! Maybe someone else could answer that. It flew way over my head. LOL I just know whatever I did is working for now. I guess my theory is this is going to get hit pretty hard in the next couple of months. If what I seed over that time works and keeps them hanging around, I'll keep repeating it. As you can see, the turkey are a bit of a problem early on. I bet I have $50.00 in seed alone already. Well on my way to my $500.00 deer. What is the line from Jeremiah Johnson? "Why would anyone eat beef when they can eat elk (venison!)? LOL

13-Jun-15
How is the standing water with all of the recent rain? That will turn a plot yellow within a couple of weeks if it doesn't dry up.

14-Jun-15
Checked it this morning, there is standing water but, so far so good. Only the edge gets under water. Good point Jack, and I intend to bring soil in to raise the area before next year. Come July it will be dry as a fart. I may have to bring a 5 gallon sprayer and spray it to help get through July. Definitely some challenges.

15-Jun-15

It is holding its own against the water. No sign of yellowing and I did over-seed the perimeter a week or so ago. Can't tell if this visitor is a buck or doe that is still carrying. The great line from Something About Mary, "Now are those the beans or the frank"? LOL

18-Jun-15

All that rain did have an impact. Much of the broad leaf turnips, (I believe) have started to yellow. In anticipation of that I did over-seed with turnip before the rain came. Keep in mind this plot will be dry as a fart come July. I anticipate planting again in August.

18-Jun-15

I also have a problem with a neighboring cucabara trespassing once in a while.

18-Jun-15

It has come a long way since spring

29-Jun-15

Turkeyhunter's embedded Photo
Turkeyhunter's embedded Photo
From our morning walk today.

The sunflower food plot is crowded but thriving.

The giant bird feeder is making progress.

My girls approve...

29-Jun-15
Nice, checked mine yesterday and the dry season of July is here. It will be interesting to see how it handles July. i will post more pictures in July

06-Jul-15

Ok, it survived through the 4th of July. The next 30 days will be critical. The doe is a regular visitor. She hasn't brought her fawns to the plot yet. In other pictures she is constantly looking back in the same direction.

15-Jul-15

She finally brought her fawn, unfortunately the extremely slow Moultrie captured only one of them. Good and healthy though. This one already has been designated possum face with all the white she has on her face. Amazing to see how fast they grow.

• Sitka Gear