nehunter 20-Apr-15
bigbuckbob 21-Apr-15
bleydon 21-Apr-15
notme 21-Apr-15
CJD437 21-Apr-15
Toonces 21-Apr-15
grizzlyadam 21-Apr-15
20-Apr-15
So I'm debating on whether or not I should go out and chase a bird around the woods this spring, and I'm wondering if you guys that live/work/drive around the NW corner of the state are seeing many birds.

This past winter was yet another bad time for the birds with the deep snows that lasted a several weeks, and I know the flock in this area has struggled in the past few years because of this, and I won't shoot a bird unless there are good numbers. Last year I got a license and just brought my camera. I was able to call in a couple of nice birds, but it took some work to get to them.

What are you guys seeing? Should I bring a camera or my bow (shotgun is too easy)

20-Apr-15
wait for thanksgiving , youll have a better shot when s&s has a sale on them...lol

20-Apr-15
Last spring was an excellent hatch for turkeys. I saw more poults with hens than I had seen in a long time. I also saw turkeys in areas last fall that were void of birds for ten plus years...hens with 8-12 poults. And numerous hens with similar broods.

With that being said, there's a lot of birds out there compared to years past. I've always heard excellent things about turkeys in the NW part of CT.

Stop watching the leaves and go kill a couple.

20-Apr-15
Bob,

Good and growing population of turkeys in the NW corner. Robbins Swamp WMA and parts of the Housatonic SF should be good opportunities.

20-Apr-15
I hunt two dairy farms in Sharon and Cornwall who always have large population of birds all winter. They eat the corn out of the silage that cows cant digest.

This Year (as of three weeks ago) I have only seen 2 adult Toms in the fields at sunrise. Unless they are hiding in the woods the population took a hit this past Winter.

20-Apr-15
Sounds spotty guys, so I think my tried and true spots should hold something. Maybe take a day this weekend and hit the woods to see what's gobbling.

notme - alway appreciate your sound advice. I will use it when I'm in the retirement home telling everyone how I bagged a bird at Stop & Shop with my bow.

20-Apr-15
Should be plenty of birds around.

20-Apr-15
NW CT didn't get nearly the amount of snow Eastern CT got.....and the original turkey program originated in NW CT. That area of the state was always heavy with birds.

And the shotgun isn't too easy.....it's just that bow is way too hard unless you have a blind. Bring the thunder stick and knock one down.

Good luck Bob. I hope I see you post a pic with a big Tom in two weeks. Then you'll be BigTomBob.

20-Apr-15
Agree with Blood.

I hunted Turkey's once with a bow. You couldn't pay me to do that again.

Being in a blind made me miserable. Turkey's were meant to be hunted with a shotgun run and gun or even spot and stalk style under the right conditions.

Good luck if you go. I lost the will for it. Getting up that early just isn't in the cards, plus chasing Merriams in South Dakota kind of ruined easterns for me.

20-Apr-15
Yup, getting up that early sucks but sure worth it when you hear the gobbles. Gives me the shakes more than a deer does. I run and gun so I have yet to kill one with a bow. Too much to walk all that way and set up a blind. Just as exciting to me with a shotgun anyhow. BBB, go out and bag one either way. My season here starts next week, hopefully my honeyhole isnt void of toms as its been foolproof for the last five years.

20-Apr-15

nehunter's embedded Photo
nehunter's embedded Photo
Bloodtrail, The NW got almost as or more than Eastern CT, and got more earlier in December. I was at my Camp in Goshen and they still had 2 feet of snow in the woods.

I work in Eastford, Ct once a week and all the snow had melted when I took this picture early April.

21-Apr-15
I've been lucky enough to get 2 birds with the bow while standing near a tree, no blind. I just wait till their heads go behind a tree and shoot once they get into range. I love the interactive "calling" of this type of hunting, and I think that's why I got hooked on elk, same thing just much bigger animal than a turkey.

21-Apr-15
Wild turkey live in Ontario, Northern Vermont, Adirondacks, etc.. While this winter was a pain for us to deal with I can't imagine it being a serious population impacter for animals that live in climates that routinely get that kind of winter.

21-Apr-15
bbb,im glad someone listens to the ramblings of a mad man once in awhile..lol,..saw 19 birds in shelton this morning getting all worked up..and not a swingset in sight..

21-Apr-15
Good luck to all! I had back surgery in Feb so Im out for the season and possibly the fall also. First time in many, many years. Post some pictures so I have something different to cry about!

21-Apr-15
Saw a pair of turkey hens in the middle of Waterbury yesterday. City birds I guess.

21-Apr-15
Been seeing LOTS of birds up here. It's on!!!

• Sitka Gear