Bigwoods 29-Apr-15
Duke 29-Apr-15
Naz 29-Apr-15
Ridge Runner 29-Apr-15
Naz 01-May-15
10orbetter 01-May-15
razorhead 02-May-15
22-Apr-15
Good luck to all !! Tell us your story and include a pic.... how are the turkeys reacting to decoys/calls ?

22-Apr-15

PSEUSER's embedded Photo
PSEUSER's embedded Photo
Harvested this guy at 5:55 this morning. Called him and 2 other toms from about 400 yards off the roost and came right into my decoys. Had the gopro running and my buddy in the picture had a second angle. Awesome hunt!! Good luck to everyone else and be safe!

22-Apr-15
Seuser, nice, congratulations

23-Apr-15

Adam C.P.'s embedded Photo
Adam C.P.'s embedded Photo

Adam C.P.'s Link
Hunted hard Saturday, April 18 in Zone 2. Started out the morning hunting the edge of the woods in a ground blind about 150 yards from the roost with 3 hen and a 1/2 strut jake decoy. Called a few hens in but no toms. There was some, but not a lot of gobbling on the roost and very little once they hit the ground. We started running and gunning around 10:00 AM and saw quite a few toms cruising but we always seemed to be about 100 yards behind them. Eventually we setup after lunch around 3:00 over a cut bean field where we saw quite a few birds cruising in the morning. We were sitting up against a tree with the same decoy spread and about 20 minutes into our sit a tom showed up. He danced around about 70 yards outside the decoys but finally committed and came straight in towards the jake decoy where I was able to take him at 26 yards. He weighed in 23.5 lbs and had a 10 1/4" beard with 1" and 7/8" spurs. Toms were not vocal at all but responsive to our calls and decoys. We did not see large flocks of birds together, they seemed to be broken up (at least later in the day). Here is an unedited video of the tom approaching.

23-Apr-15
Nice job. The wind really made those decoys look good. The slate and box calling sounded pretty good, diaphragm so-so but the gobbler seemed to like it. Just goes to show when the setup looks right (decoys moving and in the shade, close to cover) and you don't do anything to spook a solo bird, they don't seem to care whether you're a champ caller or not! I've been there. Some of the diaphragms I have are pretty tough to get a decent close-range sound out of but are great for long-range "attention-getting" use. Quality control on these things seems to have gone down the tube in recent years, IMO. Not a lot of consistency and you never know what you're going to get when trying something new. Again, though, your own voice in close range is usually enough to keep 'em coming if nothing else has spooked 'em and they're locked on a decoy. A little scratching in the leaves is sometimes a good convincer, too.

23-Apr-15
I am glad everyone is having fun, not knocking anything, but isn't this a bow hunting site, I really care to see and hear about only bowhunting, that is why I read this site.....

My tag is next week, another year with the stick, going to try and get it done, but so far, my area is had some pressure, but still there are a few birds in the area.......

23-Apr-15

Turkeyhunter's embedded Photo
Turkeyhunter's embedded Photo
Third gobbler in 8 days - southern Door.

The hunter left Brookfield, WI early today and was in a blind by 10 AM. Nice bird by early afternoon.

Used a duo hen deke set. He answered some distant gobbles with a slate and was rewarded by two gobblers in full strut. One strolled-in on a mowed trail and the other materialized from behind the blind. Both silently. No accompanying hens. They both picked-up the pace when they spied the decoys - bum's rush.

Killed the larger of the two at 20 paces.

This is turning-out to be a rather stunning turkey season.

23-Apr-15

Novice's embedded Photo
Novice's embedded Photo
Yesterday 5:40 PM. Somehow got his hens interested in my calling & he came in tow. 23# 10" beard and 7/8" spurs (would have guessed they would have been longer considering the size of the bird?) Was a long 12 hour sit, but worth it!

23-Apr-15
In the blind by 4:30 this morn. Had two toms gobbling on the neighbors that shut up when they hit the ground. Fired one up that was about 400 yards away at 8:30. He marched right in gobbling all the way until he hung up at 45 yards. He appeared to really dislike my buddies expensive decoys. He eventually walked off the way he came. Made a move and was set up again by 9:30. Sat there until 7:30 with 2 hens seen and no gobbles heard in the whole area. Will be back at it on our property again in the morning. But it is disheartening how decimated the population is in our area. Good luck all, have fun and enjoy good hunting if you still have it. Bad times are coming for WI turkey hunting. Sorry all I thought this was the tyrkey talk 2 thread.

24-Apr-15

24-Apr-15
As if your eyes cannot unsee what they read. Haters gonna hate! Get over it!

24-Apr-15
Really, someone asks how turkey hunting has been for the 2nd season and only the bow hunters can respond? It would be one thing if there was a separate archery season or something. Some of us bow hunters really aren't that excited about shooting turkeys with a bow, and it's not like there's a problem with the Bowsite being overun with non archers.

Note to self; take hero shots without the weapon.

But in all honesty, I would like to see WI do something for archers, either let them hunt the entire season with one tag, or have the lottery system for the first 4 weeks then only bow hunting for the last two. One tag good for 2 weeks. Then I might hang up the Benelli.

24-Apr-15
Pete - take your pack off, I do not hate anyone, its not even in my nature, just like to see and hear about archery hunting, for turkeys..... that way, you can learn something..... I like to read about archery tactics, that is why this is a bowsite.......

should I post my ML kills on here, I think not,,,, geesh, who would care

24-Apr-15
LOL, can only learn something about turkey hunting from the guys holding bows in their hand? They were hunting out of a blind with decoys and called in 3 toms. I guess if they were bow hunting one could ask, when did you draw your bow?

You know I don't put my turkey gun kill photos in the trophy photos, but I do comment on setups and strategies. We are all hunters and have information to share and offer. And to be honest, I'm spending more time away from the Bowsite because they don't have a crossbow forum or seperate site. But now I just spoke a forbidden word, so the moderator alerts have just gone off.

24-Apr-15
It is called Bowsite for a reason.

24-Apr-15
Then let a moderator remove it if they want. That's just a duchy response.

24-Apr-15
I swear half the guys? on here must be bruce jenners

24-Apr-15
Woo let's stick to the topic .... i wanna see period two turkey kills!!! Gun or bow... personally I think it's a little cooler with a bow but a kill is a kill

24-Apr-15
yelper I agree. In my case I will take the bow with me but, if he hangs up outside 30, the 12 gauge will do the trick.

25-Apr-15
I need to correct myself on that. Wednesday, through Friday are bow days for my hunt. Saturday and Sunday my son will be with me with a shotgun. If a good Tom hangs up, I will take him with the gun. Of course my son can take any bearded bird. Razor does have a good point though. We all signed up here at Bowsite.com!

25-Apr-15
I agree 10 good luck I hope you get a big tom... I'm more interested in the setup blinds calls strategies that were used .... with that being said I think it's just that much cooler to say you arrowed a.big tom

25-Apr-15
My response to you Razor would be this. If you want to read about bow kills, awesome! If you read a post about a gun kill, call it reading practice, or quit reading because you wasted 10 whole seconds of your life, and forget what you had to endure. I laugh at what irritates people in this world today. Yep, it's bowsite. Full of the same people that do things other than bow hunt. Mostly full of chronic whiners, who feel butt hurt when someone does something they feel invaded their eyes and mind. No need to reply, it had NOTHING to do with the bow. If you do read it, at least read it twice, and acknowledge my words, because rightfully so, these words have more logic behind them, than "this is bowsite after all", or "+1001" LOL

I often wonder why the bow makes it so much more interesting? The turkey is hunted by using the same methods, no matter the weapon? Is it harder? Perhaps getting one within range, and making the shot, but what does that mean? You're a better hunter? Ego derived if that's the case, and that's a shame!

25-Apr-15
Full of the same people that do things other than bow hunt. No disrespect PetePec but...go to another site OTHER THAN ARCHERY and post. It isn't Bow/gun site.

If you want to read about bow kills, awesome! AHHH YEA... its a BOWSITE...

And...ah ...yes, a gun is easier on turkey, deer, pheasant and whatever you chose. Killing a turkey is harder with a bow and especially a recurve. Its Bowsite - The nations leading Bowhunting website.

And yes, I feel a little more ego with the bow and not a gun when I get one. Even using a pop up and decoys.

Happy Hunting to all

25-Apr-15
It IS a bow and arrow related site. What is so wrong about keeping content archery related?

25-Apr-15
For what it's worth, my miserable season has been with a bow in hand. Not that it's mattered as the turkeys just aren't there. I'll be out bright and early tomorrow. But that will be it for this season as things have piled up at work.

25-Apr-15
In the last two years I shot a beautiful bull elk with rifle, whitetail buck with a rifle, black bear with black powder and turkey with a shot gun. Did not post any on Bowsite as it is a bowsite. My archery kills I would post.

25-Apr-15
You all have passion. That I can applaud! I just don't care about the little things (or to some of you), the big things.

I am fully aware of the site's name. I did not post a gun kill, but my point is, I don't get all worked up if someone does. Are you those same people as kids, that told on Johnny because he stuck his tongue out? Just seems petty to give two schidtz that someone posted a gun kill, and even more petty to care enough to make comment.

No big deal, we are all wired differently. I'm the guy you want to be near in an emergency. I keep calm, cool, and collected. Some of you will run around pulling your hair out of your heads!

OMG! The audacity, the atrocity, that someone dared to post a gun kill, on Bowsite! Citizens arrest! citizens arrest!

25-Apr-15
Half the threads on here have nothing to do with Archery.

25-Apr-15
And shouldn't have been on here because they aren't.

26-Apr-15
Pete I can applaud your neutral state of mind but this site is a bow site. Nothing personal against anyone showing a gun kill but maybe leave the weapon out of the picture and leave it up to the discretion of the reader.

I want to hear about bow kills being on Bowsite.

26-Apr-15
Mods are far more mellow now than years back more kinder gentler

Dare I say more "PC". Perhaps there trying to be more all encompassing boom sticks, recurves, X-bow, compounds.

It's a Bizzaro world out there words don't mean what they use to mean. use to be BOWSiTE now more like bow slight

We're all family let just try to get along, Don't worry be happy

Now go kill something with something.....

26-Apr-15
I would think that anyone wishing to post whatever they choose should choose Facebook. Just my $.02-LC

26-Apr-15
I agree. Facebook is truly awesome. You can Unfriend anyone. Block them from seeing your posts, and you seeing theirs. You can join groups of like minded people, who only share your belief. It is not for kids any longer. Adults are using it more than ever, and many groups that appeal to that single subject matter. You actually can act as the moderator by either deleting a post or a person.

This format would appeal to most people including me, if it was applied here. Until then, perhaps not reading certain posts by certain people will have to suffice until the moderators take over. Honestly, most good sites have been replaced by Facebook, because the ability to weed out who we don't want to associate with. I'm sure I'd be blocked by several people, and likewise, I'd block people on here. I still don't mind sifting through the stuff that doesn't appeal to me. There are several threads that I haven't opened, because the topic has zero bearing on my world. If a poster says something I don't agree with, I have two choices. Move on, or interject. Trust me, most people don't care what the other person says. Too focused on what they feel is more important. It's just the nature of the human species.

26-Apr-15
Agree somewhat. I have a site (Sugarbush, Info.) that I go to for more information regarding the dope on making syrup. I have another site that I go to for Bowhunting info (this one). For general stuff I go to Facebook or Pinterest. Just because I do not agree with the people that post should not mean to skip the post....it helps to stick to the forum rules.

26-Apr-15
Back to the subject of the thread.

Another gobbler taken today by a hunter on our property.

That's two for first season and two for second season - a total of four in nine days.

It's a new camp record.

Life is good.

26-Apr-15
LC, I can agree with you, but honestly, not everyone knows the rules....even though they probably signed an agreement stating they read them. I know I didn't lol. But yes, sticking to the topic of bowsite would certainly make it easy for reading just those topics, but I'm afraid it would be rather slow around here. Sure, people twist topics to show they have bow hunting validity, when in fact they may not, or rarely stay on topic....like this lol. I want to say this. I love bow hunting, but I also love other things. Fishing, hunting other game, hunting other methods, guns, taxidermy, and of course my family, but I also like learning. Often times when people get off topic, they share things that still might be interesting, even if it's not bow related, and often times I do learn something, so unless it's just pot- stirring BS, I can live with whatever!

Congrats Turkeyhunter on your camp's success.

26-Apr-15
"but honestly, not everyone knows the rules"

Well you know the saying, ignorance is no defense.

26-Apr-15
'Congrats Turkeyhunter on your camp's success.'

Thanks Pete-pec.

One more hunter on deck and a pal and I have leftover bonus permits for last season.

27-Apr-15
Pete-pec, you are the lone voice in the wilderness or so it seems. My guess is a lot of us agree with you but choose to stay out of the discussion since you are doing so well. On ward my friend! IMHO, BC

27-Apr-15
Perhaps we could have a moderator weigh in (do they still exist?) and actually quote what rules there are for posting? I do not think that the "I'll do anything I damn well please" thought is correct. It would be nice to clear this up.

27-Apr-15
You'll see the Bowsite owner Pat even post pics of gun kills. He allows them. And I agree with NWO, 50% of the threads on here have nothing to do with bowhunting. I think we read enough politics and mitten building threads to be able to tolerate some WI animals actually being killed regardless of the weapon.

27-Apr-15
Come on guys what's the big deal if someone posts a picture of a gun kill!? If you see a gun in a picture don't read the post, it's as simple as that.

Now can we please get back to posting about turkey hunting? You should all be ashamed of yourselves for posting comments unrelated to the topic of the original thread. If you come to this site to bicker please start a new thread to do so but please don't hijack someone else's thread to do it.

27-Apr-15

Ridge Runner's embedded Photo
Ridge Runner's embedded Photo
Congrats to all the successful hunters. I harvested this bird at 11:30 Saturday. He came in accompanied by 2 other Toms. I had called another Tom in at 7AM, but when he saw the decoy spread of strutting Tom plus a feeding and upright upright hen, he turned and walked away. The three Toms at 11:30 saw the spread and circled out of range for 1/2 hour before the one finally committed. They seemed nervous about the strutting Tom. The question I have is that I have attempted to use a full strut decoy over the course of the last 3 seasons, and every time it seems I have a negative response from the Toms. Anyone have have thoughts and our opinions on the use of a full strut decoy? Look forward to hearing other hunters thoughts. The Tom weighed 23 pounds, 9 1/2 " beard, and 7/8" Spurs.

27-Apr-15

WIbowhunter365's embedded Photo
I shot my Tom on Wednesday morning about 6:15am. Had to call at him when i saw him to see my decoys and that was it came right in 10 yard shot. My son and law shot one on Saturday evening catching them coming back to roost. Also came right in when he saw decoys. First turkey hunt for him very cool.

27-Apr-15

27-Apr-15

jtek's embedded Photo
jtek's embedded Photo
Saturday with my Monster Chill in Dunn County. >1" spurs. Thin whispey beard.

27-Apr-15
Ridge Runner....I have had great success with the Killer B strutting gobbler decoy where the fan can go up and down with a pull line. I only use one hen decoy. Last year I had 3 toms hang up for 1 hr, they would gobble but would not commit, so I decided to pull on the cord multiple times real fast, with the fan waiving up and down fast they must have thought it was injured, one Tom bolted in and attacked the decoy.

27-Apr-15

jtek's embedded Photo
jtek's embedded Photo
From the blind shot

27-Apr-15
I just read about 25 worthless posts about bickering because someone left a gun lying in the grass. If someone would have just scrolled past and not worried about it we would only have about half the posts on this thread, but they would all be worth reading and inline with what the OP was asking for.....there another worthless post.

27-Apr-15
Agree with Elkaddict. I like reading the stories regardless of if they were killed with bow or shotgun personally.

27-Apr-15
Well done 365 and Jtek! Turkey hunting is a blast!

27-Apr-15
"If I would have scored with the bow, I would have posted it but if I killed one with a gun, I wouldn't post it on a site called "BOWSITE". That would be lame."

Yet you posted the pics of 2 bucks you killed during gun season two years ago while party hunting. Oh the hypocrisy continues.

Congrats again to all the successful turkey hunters regardless of their weapon of choice.

27-Apr-15
Well add three more. Well done then. That makes 28?

28-Apr-15
No Ronny, you see you did do what you are lying about now. You killed 2 bucks with your gun and you were questioned on the 2nd one and said it was group hunting. You had your dad in the picture (the live one not the pretend dead Howatt one) and a nephew. Some people do have memories. You have always been the bowsite anti-gun police but you are hypocritical there too. Remember, Pat posts lots of gun kills each year and allows them. We went through this all last gun season here when you were telling people off them for posting gun kills. Now quit ruining yet another thread with your anti-gun rhetoric.

28-Apr-15
Goofy is an understatement. How one person can allow another to so completely consume his life is amazing to me. Makes one wonder if it is ignorance or something much deeper seated.

28-Apr-15

28-Apr-15

Adam C.P.'s Link
Again, big congrats to the gentlemen who put a bird down. I love hearing the stories and seeing the pictures. Keep them coming!

And now for the school girls, I've created a new thread, 'Bicker Here' and have included a link to it here. Please stop high jacking this thread for bickering and continue your back and forth personal battles on the 'Bicker Here' thread. I sincerely just want to get back to reading about turkey hunting and not have to sift through a chain of unrelated non-sense.

Adam

28-Apr-15
Ridge Runner, paint brush beard! very cool.

28-Apr-15

Naz 's embedded Photo
Naz 's embedded Photo
Saturday tom, trout and deer skulls. Fun morning!

29-Apr-15
Trifecta!

29-Apr-15
Awesome Naz! Too bad there were no sheds to add to that collection.

29-Apr-15
Awesome Naz! Congrats. Steelhead I presume?

29-Apr-15
Looks like a great morning, Naz! Throw a few mushrooms in there and you'd be looking at the 'Sconnie Spring Slam!

29-Apr-15
Thanks! yes, steelhead, still dripping eggs but almost spent. More suckers than steelies left but the farther north you go, the more still spawning. Water is still very cold!

29-Apr-15
Congrats to everyone.Nice birds and pics.Nice fish too Kevin.( On a side note should I be changing my handle.I see there is another Ridge Runner.It wouldn't bother me.Just curious how 2 of us can have the same handle Any good ideas for a new handle) Congrats again to everyone. Ridge Runner -Brown County

01-May-15
Bob, how about Swamp Runner? You love to run, and love to hunt swamps (and ridges!). Or, Ridge Runner I. Or ???

01-May-15
What a difference a week makes. Have not seen a gobbler since Sunday.

02-May-15
Just got in, have to go to a funeral today. My report from the Washington / Ozaukee, has been very good, but no kills as of yet, however could have killed 3 with a gun.

Wed am - 6am 4 toms and 12 hens come off a roost, cross a field. Surprise is Mr. Fox, laying in wait, just like me, however he sprang too soon, and the chase was on. Mr Fox did not get one of them, but he was certainly panting, after all that running around. I watched him rest for awhile by the den, before he called it a night.......

Wed pm - 2 big toms, but will not come to calls or decoys. could not get in front of them....

Thurs am - 5am, birds roosted in another hillside, was about 100 yards, from them, but they went south and I lost them. 2 hens came within 10 steps, but no toms

Thurs pm - in that roost at 4pm. 2 big toms in the field at 6pm, could not coax them in, and no more birds/

Fri am - Another area, same woods, place is fired up, going nuts at 4;30am - 6;30pm. Had one tom in at 40 yards than another, but nothing closer.

This morning, walked into where I heard them last nite, try to come in across the field in the dark. set up, birds gobbling all over the place. Busted out 3 birds above me. Saw 2 more toms, but both at 50 plus yards, could not get in front of the toms.

So its been a lot of fun, and oh by the way I got to see Mr. Fox, miss another animal, he chased a squirrel at 5:30am, but missed. He might be the poorest hunter of a fox there is, ha ha ha.....

Deer report is that I saw 12......

• Sitka Gear