XbowfromNY 28-Aug-15
Toonces 28-Aug-15
Turtle504 28-Aug-15
The Dark Knight 28-Aug-15
XbowfromNY 28-Aug-15
XbowfromNY 01-Sep-15
BowtechArcher 05-Sep-15
24-Apr-15
Looking for land in CT to hunt with my Dad on Saturdays. We both are from NY and use crossbows. Willing to pay. Thanks.

24-Apr-15
if you don't mind hunting swing sets , have I got a spot for you..lol

24-Apr-15
I don't mind. Send me a message.

25-Apr-15
Stay tuned here you will see when the Aquarian permits come out a couple of thousand Acers for free .

26-Apr-15
xbow

give me $100/day and I'll let you hunt Housatonic State Forest ;)

27-Apr-15
Your not likely to get a lot of responses here.

I leased two properties in the past in CT. I got them both through a forester I know.

Foresters are a great source for finding hunting land. I think in order to do any commercial logging a forester has to be hired by the landowner to come up with a succession plan. Because of this foresters know a lot of landowners looking to make some money off of vacant land they own. Also they know of properties that have been recently logged that can provide for some good hunting.

28-Apr-15
Toonces

now how am I supposed to get my $100 if you give out all the secrets?

29-Apr-15
Some people may want to keep this a secret but we are a small close group so I will give you this suggestion.

Contact CL&P at their office on the Berlin turnpike - they allow hunters on their properties - I don't know when the cut-off to apply end but it may be soon or already over - but check it out

09-Jun-15
How's the state land in western CT? Looks like there are a few places (Bennett's, Great Swamp, etc.). Also see lottery places like Pootatuck or however you spell it. Just looking to shoot my first xbow buck, not worried about finding a giant.

10-Jun-15

Ace's Link
XBow,

Bennett's Farm State Park, & Great Swamp Flood Control area are both in Ridgefield, public, and open to Deer Bowhunting. Wooster Mountain State Park is in Danbury and is contiguous with Bennett's Farm.

They are all worth checking out, and with a bit of scouting you should find some deer.

Great Swamp can be really wet so be forewarned that after a lot of rain there isn't much dry ground. Wooster Mountain has some very steep and rugged areas so it can be tough walking, but because of that you can also have large areas of it to yourself at times.

Another place worth exploring is Collis P Hutntington State Park, 1000+ acres mostly in Redding, with parts in Bethel and Newtown. The deer numbers here are definitely down, but there are some around and it's a pretty place.

I'm pretty sure that the Lottery areas you mention, like Pootatuck, are only lottery for Firearms, and open to all bowhunters. It's been a while since I hunted Pootatuck and Paugussett so definitely double check the regs there.

Check out the link, the DEEP's interactive map is pretty good, and you can get maps of each area.

I would definitely suggest that you do your preseason scouting.

10-Jun-15
Thanks for info ACE. I really can only hunt some Saturdays and/or Sundays (if they official change the rule) so I am still hoping to find a few acres of private land to hunt on.

10-Jun-15
Sunday will be private property only xb. And only if becomes law.

12-Jun-15
Xbow, did you hunt a piece in middlebury a couple years ago?

12-Jun-15
My offer to hunt Housatonic State Forest for $100/day still stands :) Lots of room to roam so the cost per acre is way down there. :)

12-Jun-15
BoneHead - Yes, I did. How did you know? Please PM me.

bigbuckbob - no thanks.

27-Aug-15
Anybody know of any land for sale around $70K or less that would be good for hunting in CT? No interest in building on it. Thanks.

27-Aug-15
There is this piece of land off of I84, 40-50 acres. I think it was assessed for 60k. Holds a ton of deer and turkey. I have seen about 20 there once. 3 huge bucks. 2 old 1 young. Huge racks, young one maybe 8-10 points. Not for sale, but you could always contact the owner. I have tried for 2 years to gain access there just to hunt. But no reply. They live out of state. Will share info if you let me hunt there occasionally if you purchase :-) otherwise use realtor.com....but I don't think you will find a lot of land for 70k in this area. I know of the property because a friend lives right next to it.

28-Aug-15
TDK - What are your thoughts on Lichtfield County? My Dad is the one buying, I'm just hunting lol. Anyway, he found a few spots in that county for sale in his price range and is going to walk the properties this weekend.

28-Aug-15
If your looking to bowhunt/crossbow exclusively I wouldn't buy, save your money.

There is more than enough public land in Litchfield county to keep you busy. Unless the private land is really prime, its probably not going to be much better than public. I hunt a large parcel of private that backs up to public. There is zero difference in the hunting, in fact I personally prefer the public to the private. Also with a bow you won't run into any hunting pressure.

If you are looking to rifle hunt, and buy more than 10 acres, there are some advantages to buying, notably the ability to hunt centerfire rifle, and a long landowners rifle season for both you and your dad.

If you do buy, make sure you check the local rules on property taxes. CT allows you to put undeveloped property into forestry designation at a substantial reduction in property taxes. I believe each town has a minimum number of acres required to qualify for the forestry designation. This is big deal, property taxes are high in CT. You don't want to own vacant land and pay full taxes on it.

28-Aug-15
Xbow...tbis was just posted on Craigslist...maybe somthing to look into.... http://westernmass.craigslist.org/bar/5176758876.html

28-Aug-15
Xbow, I heard litchfield county has sporadic dear.not sure cause I don't hunt there. I'm more in new haven county. I've hunted both public and private. Most of time I prefer the public as those have said above.

28-Aug-15
Turtle -- Too Far, but thanks.

Thanks all. He is specifically looking at New Milford Area today.

01-Sep-15
The New Milford piece looks promising he said. I might go check it out this weekend.

05-Sep-15
My cams have been showing amazing deer population on State Land in Litchfield County. Especially Mattatuck Forest, the parking is on the Watertown side not the Thomaston side of the forest. I have been setting up for the past few months in all the areas I hunted last year, only filling 2 of my tags. This year, I have done the research, and found plenty of Deer rich areas on state land. Most of the hunting land for rent runs between $3k to $5k, and has restrictions on amounts of hunters, if you google private hunting land in CT, you should find at least 6 or 7 properties, ranging from $2500 all the way to $12000

• Sitka Gear