bigbuckbob 07-May-15
steve 07-May-15
longbeard 07-May-15
bigbuckbob 08-May-15
BOWMEN 08-May-15
bigbuckbob 09-May-15
longbeard 12-May-15
29-Apr-15
Why that way for Spring season and not that way for Fall season?

29-Apr-15

29-Apr-15
I thought that it had to do with hens nesting. Keeps people out of the woods as the hens are on the nest. That said, many other states allow hunting in the pm. Youth turkey in CT goes all day.

29-Apr-15
Toby is correct. The reasoning is that if you only hunt until noon, you don't disturb hens with chicks. If you disturb them and they become separeted in the afternoon and the hen can't gather her chicks, they are more likely to be eaten by predators.

29-Apr-15
theyll be safe from bbb..noon time is nappy time and lord knows whens the last time he chased a hen... ; )

30-Apr-15
Hey, not wait a minute! My nap time is 1pm, right after lunch.

BTW - I would rather chase hot chicks, but they want nothing to do with me :(

30-Apr-15
Good thing that the thrill is in the chase. I don't know how much catchin there will be.

30-Apr-15
1 every 16 years .lol

30-Apr-15
1 every 16 years,....... You talking about taking a bird or my s _ x life these days?

30-Apr-15
lot of fun with the bow,since i switch over to the bow,i have taken more birds with the bow then with a s/gun.All you need is a couple of decoys.And the rest is all fun.You will be amazed how far out you can stretch out,Try with two guys calling.

01-May-15
bowmen

be careful about having others call for you, they need to have a hunting license.

01-May-15
both .LOL

03-May-15
Of coarse they would both have to have licenses.Got a nice tom opening day.

03-May-15
Of coarse they would both have to have licenses.Got a nice tom opening day.

04-May-15
You say of course, but I had a friend tell me he called in a bird for his buddy, and when I asked if he got one too he said "I didn't get a license this year, I'm not hunting." He didn't get caught, but it would have been a hard lesson learned.

04-May-15
this question may sound stupid compared to the thought provoking ones i usualy ask but i dont turkey hunt..why would i need a license to call for someone if im not hunting ?..in theroy wouldnt i need one to watch someone fish..

04-May-15
I don't think you could call if your tags are filled .

04-May-15
You need a hunting license to call for someone becase by definition, hunting is The "PURSUIT" of game and not just the killing of it. BBB had to buy 15 licenses just to watch them walk by. He didn't kill any but according to him, he was still hunting. Some people consider snorring 15 feet up hunting.

:-) <-----

04-May-15
Crow I love the PURSUIT though, it made the 16th year all that much more meaningful.

Hunting Fact - Do you know that if you sit in the same tree for more than 5 years snoring that the deer that grew up in that area will ignore you because they see you as a non-threat? Give it a try and I assure you it works.

04-May-15
Oh, I've done my years of snoring. Nothing better than an afternoon nap sitting against a tree on a 45 degree day.

One of my cousins has killed 2 deer after waking up from a nap to find deer standing in front of his staring at him.

04-May-15
Wait till you get my age, then you don't have to wait till the afternoon to nap, it happens about every hour:)

I love waking up from a deep, 10 min nap and not know where the hell I am for about 2 seconds. Takes my breath away. Now that's exciting.

05-May-15
I'm affraid I won't get to be your age BBB. Not many people do. Too many health problems and haven't even hit the half century mark. You should be happy you've seen a few of those. ;-)

05-May-15
Its amazing how you can put in a simple statement and everyone has have something to say about it.I was just tring to put it out there,That it is a real lot of fun to hunt turkey with a Bow and can be real productive.

06-May-15
I went yesterday not a peep .

06-May-15
Bowmen

not sure what you're referring to, can you explain? I re-read all the posts, and I don't see anything that contradicted your statement that you put out there. I agree with taking birds with a bow, much more of a challenge that shotgun.

06-May-15
Sat out Sat morning and called for my 17 year old son about 20 yds ahead of me. Lots of fun and joy after he got his first one at 15 yds and with a bow on top of it. And YES we both have licenses.

06-May-15
BOWMEN,

I don't think everyone had something to say about your statement. But I could be wrong. Some of us were responding to notme's question.

Congrats on your turkey. Got pics?

06-May-15
Turkeys are henned up pretty good right now so gobbling is minimum. Gotta keep at it though cause like a summer heat wave it will break and the gobblers will be screaming. Just never know when that will happen... I do believe you can continue to call for someone after you fill your tags...not 100% sure but I think you can...and it would make sense cause just like everything else associated with the state "follow the money". They tagged out so they already bought a license. Though someone should probably take the time to look that up before getting in trouble

06-May-15
Dup

06-May-15

CTCrow's Link
You do need a license to call for someone but you don't need tags. So, you can still call for someone after shooting your turkey.

Turkey Hunting Prohibited Activities

The use of bait, electronic calling devices, live decoys or animals (including dogs) to hunt wild turkeys is prohibited. Except that a dog may be used to hunt turkey during the fall firearms season on private lands only.

You may not call turkeys for another hunter. Exceptions: 1.) If you have a current state land permit with or without unused tags remaining, you may call for another hunter hunting with a state land permit.

2.) If you have a current private land permit with or without unused tags remaining and a signed consent form for a private land parcel, you may call for another hunter hunting on that private land parcel.

You may not attempt to take turkeys by participating in a cooperative drive.

You may not shoot turkeys from a building or other permanent structure.

You may not shoot turkeys roosting in trees.

06-May-15
longbeard,

I would see the same problem at times, toms with hens not coming in to the call. I would usually find that hunting later in the morning, after the hens had been bred, worked better; the toms would be more inclined to come to the call then.

Crow

So if I buy a license but no tags can I call for myself? Do I need a license if I'm not calling for anyone, just to annoy the birds? If I don't buy a license or tags, but I don't call, am I violating a game law? :) Every 16 years I get confused.

06-May-15
so if im strolling through the woods jamming to my favorite rob zombie compilation with nothing more than a cup of coffee in hand , my license , a box call in my pocket and felt so inclined to make some turkey noises i be kosher ? just want to get this straight,dont want to be doing a stint in the joint for turkey callin

06-May-15
"Exceptions: 1.) If you have a current state land permit with or without unused tags remaining"

Keyword "REMAINING". That would indicate that you had them before but might've used them.

07-May-15
bbb...when the gobblers begin to work mid to late morning, yes thats the first sign that things are loosening a bit...from there more and more hens begin to disappear on a daily basis and they (gobblers) get more desperate each day leading to a frenzied pitch of gobbling, which may be viewed as a competition for the remaining available hens...thats the cycle in a nutshell and thats what I live for in the turkey woods...this process doesn't happen over night but it can happen quickly if the flock you are hunting has few hens or they all nest at the same time...its all about flock dynamics...another flock a mile down the road may have breeding going on all the way through June...the amount and intensity of gobbling will let you know where they are in the breeding cycle

07-May-15
longbeard tell me when to go I have limited time, I am going to put my plot watcher out and see what is going on midday .

07-May-15
Longbeard,

I'm with steve, but how about you just shoot one for me :)

See what happens when you become sooo smart about turkey hunting, everyone wants you give them advice. That's what I love about this site, guys are always willing to share their experience and knowledge,...didn't have this when I was a young guy starting my hunting career. The first time I heard a turkey I had no idea what was making that noise.

07-May-15
Same hear I was deer hunting in the 70s in New York this thing came flying thru the trees it took me 5 min to think about what it was .

07-May-15
Same here guys, been at this crazy turkey hunting for a long time...even ran my own guide service in upstate NY for a few years...now I am constantly taking out friends and family for hunts, with out pay...guess I should have stayed in the business!!! I'm leaving again today for my second 5 day excursion of the month. I will know more about where they are in their breeding cycle after this weekend and Monday I will be hunting in Ct. BBB if I get a bird you are more than welcome to it. Steve I will get in touch with you when I get back. I'll be in town for 3 days next week before I head out again...Good luck to all!!

08-May-15
LB - what a nice guy you are!! I was just kidding about having you shoot the bird for me, but I do appreciate the offer.

Good luck.

08-May-15
Went out last Saturday morning with a friend (he had a lic.)We had a great morning,this was he first time out turkey hunting with a bow had three toms come in on him,no shot they came out on the wrong side of a big root ball that we used as quick blind,they were 5 feet from him.It seems to me that there are more adult birds this year?Does it seem that way to anyone else?

09-May-15
bowmen

Sounds like a great first time out with a bow for your friend.

I've used the rootball blind in the past as well and I've also climbed up the leaning tree to the top of the rootball for deer. Good trick.

12-May-15
Ok guys just got back to work from my turkey hunting long weekend...now I can get some sleep...Anyway, I am happy to report that while things were very slow this weekend with the lock jaw phase firmly in place, I believe that those symptoms are starting to loosen a bit. I called in a nice adult Ct longbeard within 35 yards yesterday morning, but no shot was presented...my buddy shot a 21 lb bird yesterday and another friend shot a beautiful longbeard this morning...I would say things are starting to look up.

BBB my offer still stands...or I could make you a nice pot of turkey chili if you like...

• Sitka Gear