horsethief51 21-May-15
horsethief51 21-May-15
horsethief51 22-May-15
kodiaktd 03-Oct-15
horsethief51 03-Oct-15
horsethief51 05-Oct-15
Rut Nut 05-Oct-15
29-Apr-15
Just wondered who was going to try to harvest a bird with the bow this year?

29-Apr-15

horsethief51 's embedded Photo

29-Apr-15
I will be after them saturday. Im one of those sallys that uses a ground blind though:)

Good luck to anyone thats headin out!

29-Apr-15

Ready to go.

29-Apr-15
I was out tonight scouting. Birds in the same field the last two nights. Going to set the blind up tomorrow night so I don't have to setup Saturday morning. Pretty much know right where I'm going to put it.. A hen and a gobbler decoy and some luck.. Bow with rocket Hammerhead broadheades.. Ede

30-Apr-15
I try EVERY year, Art! ;-)

30-Apr-15
I tried to kill a turkey with a bow for a long time. I shot a real nice Gobbler through the chest and he still ran away into a swamp and never found him. One real tough bird. I shoot them with a 12 gauge now.lol

30-Apr-15
I've done it once successfully with no blind and no decoys but it was just luck.I happened to get pinned down where I had good cover and the bird came in from a direction that allowed me to draw and shoot undetected.Just me but I don't use blinds or decoys.I don't care who does but it's just not what I want to get out of the experience.I've never used a blind for hunting but I've helped trap turkeys in the winter for a turkey mortality study.They put corn right in front of the blind and then hit em with a cannon net.They never showed any fear of the blind with three guys jammed in there.I like having a conversation with them and I like the adrenaline rush when they come in close,not knowing whether or not I'll be able to move a quarter on an inch to get a bead on them.That's just me.Good luck to everyone using a bow and a blind.

30-Apr-15
Nut,, You ever make plans with the guy looking to do that back country turkey hunt?? Sounds like it would be a great time.. Ed

30-Apr-15
I haven;t heard back from him. Right after I posted to his thread my month of May got real busy. I am planning to do a couple overnight bike-packing trips this Spring. The guy in the pic above and I are doing one on the Pine Creek Railtrail on May 30th. ;-) But I may take that whole week off and combine it with a backpack turkey hunt.

30-Apr-15
Working the first Saturday, looking forward to the second Saturday!

30-Apr-15
I'll be out with the bow again. I haven't used a shotgun since 2007. I've only killed two with the bow since then, 1 with a blind and one without. After I killed that first one with the bow, I haven't had the desire to use a gun.

Good luck everyone regardless of what your using! And be safe!!

Ben

01-May-15
Heard one gobbling early this morning.

01-May-15
T minus less than one day and counting.. WHO'S PUMPED??

Blind set, Bow Ready, Clothes lined up, Call Tuned, Hearing aids have new batteries (can't hear good)

Going to check out my spot just before dark, from distance. Hope the birds are out in the old corn field tonight.. There's a corn field then about 100 yds of beach trees and then pines mixes with more beach that they roost in. I'm just off the corn field.. The last two times I've been there they have been out in the corn field right before dark. So they can't be far..

01-May-15
I'm gonna be at a baseball game bright and early tomorrow. Figures...............bowling just ended, now baseball starts. Well, I guess I can;t complain- at least my kids aren't throwin' rocks at cops and looting stores! ;-)

Good luck to everyone going out in the morning! Will be living vicariously thru you guys for at least a couple weeks! : )

02-May-15

Dan and I are almost ready. Sky is getting lighter. We had the full moon for lighting up our walk this morning.

02-May-15

02-May-15

6 AM. Hearing gobblers across the hollow.

02-May-15
Ringneck just walked by at 10 yards. Geese are carrying on and a gobbler just answered them.

02-May-15
Good luck guys!!

02-May-15
No. They are the Primos pretty boy and pretty girl.

Only heard 3 shots so far.

02-May-15
Everybody I spoke to struck out today. It was too nice. We need a rainy day.

02-May-15
Saw 2 hens they came right up to the deeks at about 7.. Had 2 jakes and one short bearded gobbler.(thinking it broke off this winter as he was much bigger than the other 2) come in about 10. Hung up at 37 yds. Just to far. So turkey 1, Ed zippo

04-May-15

Ringneck just walked by at 10 yards

That sounds like my luck, Art! ;-)

05-May-15
Nice bird stick! Congrats

05-May-15
My buddy and I had a fun morning. We had one gobble over a 100 times on roost and the first half hr after daylight but couldn't get him to come in.

About 8:30 we packed the blind up and was ready to move when one started gobbling on his own about 300 hundred yards above and behind us. We hurried to the top of the hill and he gobbled about 60 yards from us just out of sight! Thinking we might get caught trying to set the blind up with him that close, we decided to just sit down and try him without the blind. My buddy set up 10 yards off the field and I moved back behind him about 20 yards to call. He came in with in 3 minuets after I made my first call but unfortunately, my buddy couldn't see him coming along the field because of how thick it was. He was set up on a old road that went to the field and didn't see the bird till he stepped in to the road way at 10 yards!! After a brief stare down, he was gone with no chance for my buddy to draw his bow.

Oh well, it was a fun morning!!

05-May-15
Congrats Stick! WOW!!!!! I've never seen a Jake(tail feathers) with such a loooooooooooooong beard!!!!!! What do you call that?(Jake or Longbeard?! ;-) I think it's very COOL!

Ben, sounds like you had a blast even if no shot! Something cool about getting that close to a turk, even if you can't pull the string. :)

05-May-15
Congrats stick! Sounds like you had an exciting morning.

06-May-15
Nice. Finally had a hen come by yesterday.

06-May-15
Yeah Stick- I never would have expected to see such a long beard on a bird like that. Very unique! Are you planning to get it mounted? I think I would consider it if I got one like that. I like those unique type specimens! : )

06-May-15
One unique bird for sure, Stick! Very interesting.

08-May-15
LMBO! How did he taste? :)

08-May-15
Finally had a Jake and 2 hens at 20 yards this morning. Still very quiet out there. Waiting for his big brother.

09-May-15
went out Friday turkeys sounding off everywhere, just not on our ground, today not a gobble.

09-May-15
Fishing was good this week.

11-May-15
Congratulations, Stick! Nice turkey...I appreciate the before and after pics! ;-)

Good luck to everyone still in pursuit. One of these years I swear I'm going to get in on this turkey business! Sure looks like alot of fun!

16-May-15
8:30 AM today a longbeard walked down the driveway 30 yards from our sunroom.

21-May-15
Back in the blindd this afternoon. Heard 2 gobblers nearby.

21-May-15

21-May-15

22-May-15
Called acouple jakes in last night, just a little too far.

03-Oct-15

03-Oct-15
Funny you dredged this one up. This is where I was hunting this evening but there is corn there now. Saw 6 toms nearby a couple days ago.

05-Oct-15

Hope to see these when the season gets here.

05-Oct-15
I've been tryin' to kill a turkey with the bow for years. Just don't seem to see a lot of turkey where I bowhunt. Hopefully one of these years!

• Sitka Gear