dougell 30-Apr-15
Rut Nut 30-Apr-15
dougell 30-Apr-15
Rut Nut 30-Apr-15
Teeton 30-Apr-15
Chris in PA* 30-Apr-15
Rut Nut 01-May-15
30-Apr-15
I never knew it was legal in PA to put a high fence on private hunting club property.

We have a very large hunting and fishing club in Pike County that put in a brand new 8 ft. galvanized wire fence. I had heard they have had a fence for years, but I guess they upgraded.

Just wondered what the reasoning is behind allowing a hunting club to fence in the deer so they are no longer free roaming. I always thought deer and other wildlife were property of the state? With that 8 ft high fence, whatever deer are on the inside are in effect captive.

30-Apr-15
It's legal to do but there are requirements.You have to drive all the deer out or at least try.Then the PGC goes in and does an inventory to see if any are left inside.They charge so much per deer but I forget the number.A guy down the road fenced in close to 1k acres several years ago and that's what was done.Incidentally,CWD was just discovered in a some other pens on the same property.

30-Apr-15
Interesting! I didn;t know they needed to get the wild deer out of there before fencing it in. So I take it they have to now "stock" it with deer from game farms. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a "hunting" club.

30-Apr-15
I'm not sure of all the regulations and I'm also not sure if an 8 ft fence would qualify as high fence as a deer can clear that.

30-Apr-15
Well, it looked about 8 ft. It may have been higher.

30-Apr-15
A deer maybe able to clear a 8 foot fence. But 8 foot will keep most if not all from trying.

30-Apr-15
Rut, are you referring to Porters Lake? They bought the deer inside the fence from the State and manage their own herd. Best fishing I have ever experienced in my life was on their property. Wicked expensive to be a member. Mostly Dr's and Lawyers from NYC.

01-May-15
Yep- Porter's Lake. I'm sure it costs a pretty penny to be a member there! Heck, I wouldn;t even want to think about how much it cost to clear that swath of trees around the property and fence it in! ;-)

You from the area?

• Sitka Gear