BBD34 30-Apr-15
Mike F 30-Apr-15
Bow Crazy 01-May-15
Per48R 01-May-15
Treefarm 01-May-15
Treefarm 01-May-15
BBD34 14-May-15
30-Apr-15
I got approached by my neighbor this last weekend about select cutting my red and jack pine that boarders his property. He already has it set up to do and asked if I wanted to since they would be back in there. The stand of red pine is really open on the forest floor and the jack pine is starting to die off but it still pretty thick in there. Never done this before as I am a new landowner. Just wonder if anyone has any advice or any thoughts on it.

30-Apr-15
Call you neighbor and have him give you the name of his forester and the loggger. Call both of them and get references and check them out before letting them set foot on your property.

Maybe it's time to sit down with a forester and draw up a forest management plan??

Good Luck!

01-May-15

Bow Crazy's Link
A good time to think about the Manage Forest Law (MFL) program. Before agreeing to the cut I would have a professional forester look it over. Call your county forester for a recommendation. If they have time they may come out for a quick look. Let them know you are a new landowner, your situation and you are thinking about the MFL plan.

Be sure to join the Wisconsin Woodlands Owners Association as well. An awesome source of info.

What county are you in? BC

01-May-15
Selective cuts can leave behind way more trash then you expect. It can be cleaned up, but ensure the cutter has a good rep and ensure something on paper says what he will and will not do. Make it a concern to check in on him early in the process. Mark the trees you want to keep standing with a special color marked from the ground level to as high as you can get. That way an oops, i didn't see the pain, can be notice by you from the stump or the log. Cutting during the winter may be less destructive to the soil. If you were cutting cedar or hardwoods, the browse would be appreciated by the wildlife. Selective cutting is a great idea, but you need to ensure it is done right.

01-May-15

Treefarm's Link
Depends on age and live crown percentage. While tempting to join in a collective harvest, you must have a binding contract, plan, and full disclosure of stumpage price to be paid. Many factors to consider so I always advise a consultant forester. A century to recover damage can happen in unscrupulous cases.

As BC says, join WWOA as you are provided a sample timber contract. Www.wisconsinwoodlands.org

01-May-15

Treefarm's Link

14-May-15
Sorry about the delay. Been busy around here. Anyway I met with a forester and we came up with a plan and I'm going to hold off for now. The forester said we could wait a few years and also the cost of having someone do it and what I would actually get in return really discouraged me. We talked about me cutting it in little sections as I want to that way I maximize my dollars and also as the land needs it. I got a lot of apple trees right around these sections of pine and the processor that came with us on our walk said he couldn't guarantee that he wouldn't take them out while moving and cutting. So for now I will hold off and do some cutting myself.

BC I'm in Eau Claire County.

thanks for all the info

• Sitka Gear