Contributors to this thread:
creed 30-Apr-15
swede 30-Apr-15
creed 01-May-15
WapitiBob 01-May-15
huntforever 11-May-15
swede 11-May-15
30-Apr-15
I am going to be in the northwest for 7-10 days starting early next week. Here in AZ when I travel I carry a handgun. Our laws allow us to carry a firearm with or without a concealed carry permit just about anywhere with a few exceptions. In the event you are pulled over by an officer if you let him know right up front that you have a weapon there likely will be zero issues. Was wondering how strict your laws are and how an LEO would treat a handgun in a vehicle?

30-Apr-15
To carry a concealed handgun in Oregon you need a license. Oregon does not recognize any other State's license. For Washington you also need a license too, but they accept one that is good in 35 States.

01-May-15
Thanks for the info. Guess I will leave my handgun at home.

01-May-15
Perfectly legal to have a firearm in your rig in Oregon without a CC permit as long as it's not concealed.

11-May-15
Have to verify for yourself, but I believe there is still an old traffic law(from the 1800s) in effect in Oregon that allows you to carry a concealed weapon while traveling to or from hunting and fishing, even if you do not have a CC permit. Was told this from my grandpa many years ago. He has since passed, but used to carry everywhere and was pretty informed on the laws regarding this topic. Feel free to correct me if you find something different.

11-May-15
I believe there is still an old traffic law(from the 1800s) in effect in Oregon that allows you to carry a concealed weapon while traveling to or from hunting and fishing.

It is possible grandpa was right, but that is one I would check before I headed into Oregon with a concealed handgun. That would give us a law predating the automobile in any significant numbers and before the modern highways. That just seems doubtful. I suspect most concealed laws were written after the 1800s. I have read you can store a gun in your trunk. Cops are fairly savvy people, and just saying "I'm going hunting" is not a magic get out of jail free phrase. I would do as WapitiBob suggests or have something in writing from the OSP to cover my posterior.

• Sitka Gear