Duke 04-May-15
Zinger 05-May-15
Bow Crazy 05-May-15
happygolucky 05-May-15
RutNut@work 05-May-15
Adam C.P. 05-May-15
raspy old hen 05-May-15
04-May-15
I would tell him to get over his turkey fever, keep his eyes open and squeeze the trigger.

04-May-15

Two Feathers's Link
One more thing. Maybe a shooting rest for his weapon. I made a cheap, effective bi-pod from two broken poles from old pop up blind and some line.

04-May-15
Have him put a red dot scope on. It work great for success with the learn to hunt kids in my area!

04-May-15
Shot trap several yeaars. The biggest thing I saw when people would not shoot well, was peeking at the shot. In other words, they were not cheeked properly, and looking down the rib of the gun, or were peeking over the gun at the shot. The red dot (as long as he doesn't flinch at the shot) should solve that problem, and I love the red dot. Turkey hunting is an exciting hunt. When a bird comes in after an anticipating duration in full strut, can cause some people to become unglued. If you are hunting with him, talk him through the hunt as it's happening in a very calming manner. Treat him like a ten year old child, until he realizes for himself that it's like shooting the target or a pop can. After hunting with the bow, you learn that even when a bird hangs up, and stays out of range a bit, they either get a pass, or you wait. I cannot remember the last time I shot a bird beyond 20 yards (gun or bow). He is likely hitting the bird, but the load may or may not be lethal at further ranges. Paper targets tear easy, a leathery turkey head....not so much.

04-May-15
I was a firearms instructor for a lot of years, the guy is most likely shooting over the gun. His head is high and he is looking over the site, quite common.

I agree with pete - pec, also what load is he shooting, out of what choke, and did you pattern with the same load, you hunt with?

I have fixed up two guys in the last 3 weeks. One was shooting a load, with the wrong choke, and we corrected that.

The other guy could not judge distance, and I gave him a range finder. His last shot he figured was 40 yards, when in truth is was 54 yards, after he used my range finder.....

Excitement always enters into it, but you have to know what your limitations are. I would say, he should let them get in close, and than closer,,,,,,,,,,

Also, a lot of guys want to shoot, and do not have the patience to let them get in, and are too worried about not getting a bird, etc. that is where your mentoring comes in......

last nite I was hunting with a friend. birds was there for him, but it was too far for his comfort level, ranged at 45 yards. he was shooting a turkey load, full choke, and scope......

If he had a turkey choke, and there are some good ones, it would have made the difference, but he likes his present set up, and wants them in close, so they go down quick. turkeys are tough birds.......

good luck

04-May-15
Am I wrong for wanting to say something?

Nope that's human nature

How would you go about this, and what would you say?

If it were me I would say nothing unless asked. He clearly knows he missed. Unless you were there its hard to give sound advice. Was it really 40 & 32 did he shoot to the left, right or high. In the end he is your friend, but I sense some hesitation from your end.

04-May-15
With modern turkey shells and chokes the patters can be so tight that if your not using optics it's actually quite easy to miss. My gun puts over 90% of the pattern in about a 8" circle, if I was just using a bead it would be easy to miss.

04-May-15

Zinger's embedded Photo
Zinger's embedded Photo
I love LongBeard but it's the easiest to miss a turkey with because it's the tightest load out there. If you're not using some kind of optics you're asking for problems with it.

04-May-15
Like said, Red Dot scope, that is what I had to do with my wife, she has not missed since then.

04-May-15
Zinger-

I just shot some XR's last week after shooting Winchester Supremes for years. The XR's shoot an extremely tight, impressive pattern. It's pretty amazing to see. I needed to adjust my rear sight (Truglo Turkey Sight) as they shot to the right. Looks like your pattern leans slightly to the right as well. I'm thinking about adding a scope or red dot but am going to see how it goes with the Truglo sights first.

04-May-15
It appeaars your friend is an inexperienced hunting shot. More practice always helps and watch him as you may pick up a flinch or a peek. What I like to do and tell others is to pretend you are shooting slugs and aim that fine.

04-May-15
Pete-pec +1. Nothing wrong with shooting a round or two of trap before the hunt. Helps keep that head down and not peeking to see if you hit what you were aiming at. Razorhead makes good points too.

04-May-15
That's another great point raspy old hen. I never let my wife shoot the 3 1/2s for turkey, only grouse shot for practice.

04-May-15
With a bow you don't have any of these issues!!

In seriousness, I would just about guarantee that your friend is shooting over the target. 32 yards is certainly not too far to shoot a bird with modern twelve gauge loads and chokes. He will figure things out.

05-May-15
Bigwoods, I knew my dot was off to the side on my Eotech when I pulled the trigger on that one but at $2 per shell and $1 per target I didn't need to shoot anymore. It shot on right-left all the way to 70yds.

05-May-15
OMG, that made me LOL! Sorry, that's not funny...well, maybe it is. I'm happy to hear he got his bird! BC

05-May-15
Great thread and great story! I'm guessing your friend is OK with the outcome bgbuckslyr even with a new purchase in his future :).

05-May-15
Good to hear he figured it out.

05-May-15

Adam C.P.'s Link
Great story and happy to hear things worked out for your buddy. I just put this Bushnell TRS-25 red dot scope on my 870 using the Weaver No-Gunsmith Converta Shotgun Mount. So far I really like it.

05-May-15
That is one heck of a story bgbuckslyr. Please tell me you got that on video. He sure would qualify with Funniest Home Videos tv show. I am smiling away just doing the visual on that one. Congrats to your friend on a fantastic bird. Glad he figured it out.

• Sitka Gear