Dale Miller 09-May-15
brunse 10-May-15
George D. Stout 12-May-15
Dave G. 13-May-15
hvac tech 12-Jul-15
Pyrannah 14-Jul-15
hvac tech 14-Jul-15
06-May-15
The PGC announced expansion of CWD Zone 2. Anyone concerned about eating venison from a CWD zone where deer have tested positive? I hunt in the eastern side of this zone and ate deer meat without much concern over the winter, but the prion that causes CWD is similar to that of "mad cow". Initial thought was that mad cow would not harm humans through consumption of beef, but then people got sick and some died. I know CWD has been around for years and testing has been done, but not sure how I feel. Not going to eat any deer that "looks" sick, but even healthy deer can be infected. May be putting the family at risk.

06-May-15
I believe CWD is the animal version of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease. I wouldn't eat a deer from that area.

07-May-15
Bob u may wanna pass on all deer then... just because they havent found it elsewhere does not mean it is not there.....

Its been around for a long time and history suggests it is not transferrable but who knows....

I would eat a healthy looking deer as long as properly field dressed and deboned. I have read however the prions do reside in the meat as well... so probably cant completly avoid it unless u were to quit hunting altogether

09-May-15
Risk is likely minimal or even non-existent. Risk of dying in vehicle accident is higher, but I'll keep driving, riding and eating venison.

10-May-15
Healthy deer equal healthy venison. The prion concern is vastly over stated. CJD cannot really be linked to cattle prions, and CWD prions have not directly caused neurologic disease in humans.

An unhealthy animal regardless of its prion status can harbor parasitic/bacterial infections that are sometimes harmful to humans.

Prions are not really even that interesting. Viruses, now those things are interesting.

12-May-15
I live in that area, and I eat deer from that area. If you can't eat the deer, then don't kill them. Pretty simple. If a deer looks unusual, sickly, etc., notify the game commission and get another tag.

13-May-15
Standard method of butchering in the past was to saw the legs off at the knees, remove the hide, halve the deer by splitting the backbone longitudinally, clean off all dried blood, etc. with a solution of cold water and vinegar, and then boning out the halves (temperature permitting) at my leisure.

With the instances of CWD seemingly on the uptick, I've quit splitting the backbone and only use my saw to remove the lower legs. It makes it a little tougher having to deal with the torso as a whole, but with the shoulders and hindquarters removed, it isn't too bad.

12-Jul-15
i watched a video on chronic wasting . after watching it i asked the question can a healthy looking deer have it the WCO said yes and the only way is to have them checked and you have to give them to game comm and they instruct you were to take the carcass .it does cost .

14-Jul-15
yes, healthy looking deer can have the disease. I often wonder how long it has been around and how many have been eaten in the past with no one knowing..

14-Jul-15
you know that is a very good question .one just never knows .

• Sitka Gear