razorhead 01-Jun-15
RUGER1022 02-Jun-15
Cheesehead Mike 02-Jun-15
happygolucky 02-Jun-15
Cheesehead Mike 03-Jun-15
Drop Tine 03-Jun-15
happygolucky 03-Jun-15
12-May-15
Fruit trees in full bloom and just like last year they get zapped. Door county lost the cherry crop last year due to this.

12-May-15
Yes I remember well. My trees were in full bloom last weekend and will take a hit tonight. I remember reading somewhere that it has to stay at 27 degrees or colder for a period of 4 hours to have an effect on the blossoms.

That's Mother Nature!

12-May-15
My apple trees are in full bloom. Fingers crossed...

12-May-15
Haven't had a decent apple crop in 5 seasons. Seems we always get a late freeze. Good thing I haven't cleaned the pellet stove yet.

12-May-15
It was snowing in Hayward a little while ago. Did not stick when it hit the ground.

Supposed to hit 30 in Hayward. About 3/4 of my apple trees are full or near full bloom. The rest are in buds that are about to pop. Last year because of the late freeze I only had apples on one tree that apparently is a very late bloomer.

I wonder if running my Knipco late in the nite would save the blossoms on some of the trees.

Most of Wisconsin is not safe from freeze until after Memorial day. In Two Rivers the city would plant flowers in cemeteries the week before Memorial day, the rest of the flower beds would start getting planted the week after. I was one of the people planting them in the 70's.

12-May-15
Supposed to only dip to mid- to upper 30s along Green Bay and Lake Michigan tonight, hope they're right! I doubt the blossoms are even open in Door yet, though. It's been pretty chilly here for weeks with a plethora of north, east and southeast winds.

12-May-15
Farmers in the south should be concerned on the corn, that is planted early, coming up, and getting hit by cold weather off the Lake

12-May-15
at least it will put an end to the mosquito thread for awhile - trying to find something good out of this

12-May-15
Lincoln county - perdicting 32 in Wausau Wed AM which means about 27 for me in the river bottom . Garage is full of plants . Onions and Garlic are in the garden but thyey are freeze proof .

Yes kiss all the apples goodby again .

12-May-15
1300 hours in Wausau and the sun is just starting to shine. Perhaps a few degrees will come out of the brief sunshine.

12-May-15
Elevation compared to nearby land can make a big difference. I have about 15' elevation difference from the lowest to the highest apple trees. I put all the colder tolerant apples at the bottom side of the hill.

Wind prediction for me at the cold point tonight is 2 mph from east and southeast. That means I will be downwind of a 3500 acre lake which might help warm up the air a little. My fingers will be crossed.

12-May-15
Nothing blooming on the Door Peninsula just yet. Not even the lilacs.

Close, but not yet.

13-May-15
My apple blossoms might have just snuck by last night. A thermometer I set out among them said it only got down to 33. The blossoms look good now, not sure how soon I would be able to tell if they did get too cold.

13-May-15
Jeff great minds think alike;) I set a digital thermometer out with some apple trees at my inlaws. That one hit 32 at it's coldest point in the last 24 hours. I think we snuck by as well, this was in Chippewa county.

13-May-15
I'm less than two miles from the lake, no frost, cut grass for first time today, and only one of my fruit trees (deer-chewed sweet cherry) is in bloom for some reason … others don't even appear close.

13-May-15
Naz, you are lucky. I have mowed my lawn 3 times already. The crab trees and lilacs in my yard flowered last week. The apple trees on my inlaws property blossomed last week as well. Interesting the how different parts of the state are at such different stages.

13-May-15
Rut, thanks for the compliment.

Being anywhere on that Door peninsula has a huge effect on weather and crops there.

I just did my second mowing at Hayward but some areas of the yard still don't need it.

I probably put some 19-19-19 fertilizer on the apple trees too early this year. I might have encouraged them to bloom a little earlier. I also put a product sold at HD and other places called Ironite. It has Iron, Manganese, zink, and other trace minerals in it that a lot of soils are missing.

13-May-15
If the blossoms fall off in 48 hours you are toast.

13-May-15
Mowed the first and second fairway without a problem this morning. By the time I got to three, it had frost. That was right at first light. It will be a cold one again tonight.

14-May-15

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Here are 3 out of the 6 apple trees in my backyard. I think they made it through the cold night just fine. Yesterday there were bees all over the blossoms.

18-May-15

Jeff in MN's embedded Photo
Jeff in MN's embedded Photo
Hayward forecast is for 31 tonight and 29 tomorrow night. Here we go again. Now pretty much all of my 30 apple trees here are in full bloom.

18-May-15
Blossoms and beans north of wausau are in trouble tuesday night.

18-May-15
This global warming is killing us.

18-May-15
Looks like it might get us again this week. For some reason my Grandfather and Father never planted a seed until after Memorial Weekend. I wonder why???

18-May-15
My dad planted lots of seeds earlier than memorial day but he had a 10x24' greenhouse for that. Nothing in the ground except maybe peas.

18-May-15
I grew up in west central WI farming several hundred acres with my dad and he always planted corn the first full week of May. Never seemed to have much of a frost issue. These next couple of nights could be rough though. My deer plot corn is well out of the ground.

18-May-15
Dave,

No we won't. The seed is warm in the shed waiting to be planted next weekend!

LOL

19-May-15
Well predicted low for Hayward was 32. I got up at 3:00 and there were frozen water drops stuck hard to the car. There were tiny water drops frozen to leafs on the apple trees. The oils in the leafs kept the drops from sticking to the leafs. The digital thermometer I put out in the apple orchard said it was 32 and that the low was 32 at that point. I had considered getting a knipco torpedo heater out but winds were pretty brisk and I didn't think it would do much good for more than a couple of the trees. The wind was strong enough that there were small pine branches broken off this morning. At 6:30 the temp in the orchard was 33, the low at some point between 3:00 and 6:30 had been 31. The frozen water drops on the leafs had apparently melted and dried up in the wind. Fingers crossed that they survived last night and again tonight which is predicted to be a little colder yet.

19-May-15
Yeah those who work hard on their property to improve wildlife habitat thereby making it more suitable for many types of wildlife might have some restless nights. Whereas the "pilers" can relax in their Lazy Boys knowing their bait is safe and sound in a feed sack somewhere...

19-May-15
funny stuff right there....>

19-May-15
Snowing here in Pafk Falls now............):

20-May-15
Darn weather service was right on with their prediction. Got up at 1:00 and it was 31. I setup the torpedo heater knowing it would get colder and for quite a while. Figured it might help 6 or so of the trees that had the most blossoms. Went out at 6:00 to turn the heater off, it was still only 29 with an overnight low of 27, I left the heater on. So below freezing for over 6 hours. Not good. Leafs and blossoms looked droopy.

Another thing that seems strange. It was fairly nice out yesterday and I was among the apple trees a couple of times during the day and did not see a single bee.

20-May-15
""Yeah those who work hard on their property to improve wildlife habitat thereby making it more suitable for many types of wildlife might have some restless nights""

Now that's funny right there !! (: Anyone that is doing "true wildlife Habitat Improvement" will not worry about the weather. Planting apple trees and bait plots is not wildlife habitat improvement.

Making openings, cutting old timber, opening the overhead shade for sunlight, planting cover trees, Planting " clovers" on roads (that won't freeze) ect. is wildlife improvements.

Planting apple trees and bait plots are short term and are intended to draw, hold and congregate deer on private land to kill them. Same as baiting.

Anything that you planted now and freezes at any time can be easily replanted with winter rye and turnips ect. in August.

20-May-15

Arrow that's your definition of habitat improvement...

Providing food is part of habitat improvement. How is planting clover on a road any different than planting it in a plot? Or planting a bean mix in a plot?

Creating openings or utilizing existing openings to plant food is part of habitat improvement. It shouldn't make any difference if it's an annual planting or a perennial planting.

Most people who manage their property for wildlife have a mixture of annual and perennial plantings.

The Forester that I contracted with was in my woods last week marking trees. I will be meeting with him shortly to go over details of timber cutting to improve habitat.

The apple trees in my back yard were planted by the previous owner and they weren't intended for deer but that doesn't stop the deer from eating them...

If they freeze that will be unfortunate because besides the deer they provide a lot of good apples for myself, friends and family. If my beans freeze, I still have plenty of time to replant. The clover will be fine.

20-May-15
cheesey,,,, This is not my definition,, it is what it is ! You are the one that started in on the "" "pilers" can relax in their Lazy Boys knowing their bait is safe and sound in a feed sack somewhere... "" And also referred to """Yeah those who work hard on their property to improve wildlife habitat thereby making it more suitable for many types of wildlife might have some restless nights and now show a picture of I assume your back yard""" LMFAO Oh now you want to back step and clarify by saying """ they provide a lot of good apples for myself, friends and family""" What a JOKE !!You complain about baiters and feeders all the time and here you are admitting to feeding in your YARD! """ besides the deer they provide a lot of good apples""" AHHHH ! I don't care if people bait or not nor should any other "GOOD" hunter. They shouldn't effect you if your good. I put in 1000's of dollar a year in bait plots. That is not wildlife habitat !!! It is to hold, pull, and congregate deer.

Any time you want to drive over and inspect true wildlife habitat on my property you are welcome. But planting Bait plots and apple trees is not true wildlife habitat !!!! (:

Planting clovers you don't have to worry about frost. Nor do you with any other bait plot... Just replant it and if its late in the summer plant winter rye, turnips, beets, ect they will grow ....

One can only wonder if there are stands near by the apple trees in your yard ............... LOL

21-May-15
Davebow, thanks for the info and links. I knew beekeepers were loosing LOTS of bees around the country but I had no idea it was so many or that Wisconsin was one of the worst loss rates. I heard a lot of it is believed to be caused by certain ag related pesticides. (One of the reasons you never spray fruit trees just before of during blossom time)

I wonder how much loss there is among 'naturally occuring' bee, hornet, wasp colonies. The kind that live where the average 'Joe' lives or hunts.

Those same 30 or so apple trees produced a whopping maybe dozen apples last year. They are young trees yet, some just reaching apple bearing age this year so that was certainly some of the reason. I just figured it was an unfortunate frost last spring just like we got last night. Maybe it is more bee population related than anything.

Here is a question, 70 acres across the road from my trees are currently being nearly clear cut over the last 3 weeks, nearing completion soon. As new growth comes I am sure it will help bee population there but how many colonies of all sorts of bees/hornets are being destroyed in the process. Many of them with their hives in hollow trees or in the ground. Will those bees simply create new hives or do a lot of them end up toasted?

21-May-15
Jeff,

As far as not seeing any bee's. The minimum temperature that bee's start to forage is 55 degrees and 66 degrees they will start to full forage.

Remember that foraging bees travel over 4 miles and can cover over over 32,000 acres in search of nectar. If the bees have to travel farther than 4 miles the average weight of the hive goes down because they use more energy to get their food.

If you are looking at supplementing your pollination look around for bee keeper that is looking for a place to put a hive. We have one that is on the corner of our property and it helps a lot.

21-May-15
Okay arrow guilty as charged, I made the first jab with the Lazy Boy comment but damn you sure like to fight! I wasn't ripping on baiters, I was just stating that they don't have to worry about the weather. I often relax in my Lazy Boy too after a hard day's work...

When I bought my house there were 8 apple trees, raspberry bushes and 2 plum trees in the yard and multiple pines and spruce on the property all planted by the previous owner. He also had a huge garden and a functional greenhouse with a heat exhange system.

Over the years I've lost a couple of apple trees to wind storms so I'm down to 6. I usually eat a couple apples every day when they're in season and my girlfriend picks some and takes them home. I bring apples to work for coworkers, my sister picks them for baking and canning, my neighbors sometimes pick them and my mom picks them and makes pies and for me and the rest of the family. She also brings hundreds of them to the senior citizens center where she works part time and they make pies, cobbler, crisp, etc. I guess I don't see the joke there... The deer clean up most of the apples that hit the ground. Actually I never had many deer in the backyard eating apples until I did other improvements on my land.

Apparently I don't know as much as you do about wildlife habitat and my property probably isn't nearly as nice as yours and I'd love to drive over and find out how it's supposed to be done... but I don't think I want to because I'm beginning to think that you don't like me all that much and no matter what I say or do, you're going to find fault in it... and besides I don't have time now because I guess I have to go home and cut down all my apple trees so the deer don't get any apples...

Oh and by the way, there are no stands in my yard and not that it matters but I have never killed a deer off of a food plot.

You are entitled to your opinions and your definition of habitat improvement. I'm not going to lose any sleep if we don't agree or if I don't fit your definition of "GOOD"...

21-May-15
RC, how many years have you been raising bees?

21-May-15
So Arrow1, your version of improving wildlife habitat is the right way and everyone else is wrong?

22-May-15
davebow = RC = Howatt (etc.)

22-May-15
Arrow,

Actually, on second thought I didn’t take the first jab, davebow did with his comment about growing bait. I just responded with a little humor that apparently got under your skin.

I didn't realize that you were the final authority on what is or isn't habitat improvement. When I met with the DNR Forester and walked through my property he talked about creating openings in the woods to improve habitat. He also said that the loggers will need to have a centrally located cleared landing that would be used to load the logging trucks. He said that when they’re done it could be turned into a food plot to further improve the habitat. The private Forester that I’ve contracted with also said that he works with a lot of deer hunters on improving habitat and there are a lot of options. I guess I should have the DNR Forester and my contract Forester submit the plan to you for your approval to make sure it really is habitat improvement…

If you've paid any attention to what I've written on this site in the past about baiting you would know that the majority of my issues with baiting have to do with baiting on public land and the claiming of public land that goes along with it. You would also know that I'm a proponent of private property rights and although I don't think baiting is in anybody's best interest, I believe that what people do on their own property (if legal) is their own business.

Now you’re saying that just because I’m against baiting I can’t have apple trees?! The idea that somebody who is against baiting on public land is a hypocrite if they have apple trees in their backyard is ridiculous. By that philosophy, anybody who is against baiting should not have a garden or flowers or shrubs because the deer might eat them… Or a farmer that doesn't believe in baiting shouldn't be allowed to grow crops because the deer eat his crops. It just doesn’t make sense Arrow.

I'm not sure what your deal is and why you’re constantly going after me; did I steal a girlfriend from you in a past life or something…?

You’ve been picking fights with me for quite a while now and it occurred to me that I don’t think I’ve ever seen a photo posted by you. Why is that? Are you hiding something…?

22-May-15
Cheesehead, good post.

I have over 70 apple, cherry, pear, plum trees total on two different properties. One has a half acre of corn left standing on it every winter. I very very very seldom hunt on either one. Kids have shot all but one deer that has been shot on either property in the last 30 years. The fruit is there for all critters to eat as well as neighbors, friends, and family. I love apples, I am diabetic and fruits are one of the good tasting foods that I can enjoy.

22-May-15
Oh Cheese,,, I'm not feeling the love here(: I just love it when you get backed into a corner. The personal attacks come out. And up on the pedestal you go. LOL Please show me were I said you should "" I should have the DNR Forester and my contract Forester submit the plan to you for your approval to make sure it really is habitat improvement…"""

There is a big difference between forestry management for wildlife habitat and planting bait plots. As I stated earlier "" Making openings, cutting old timber, opening the overhead shade for sunlight, planting cover trees, planting " clovers" on roads (that won't freeze) etc. is wildlife improvements """ And is also long term..... Anyone that does this kind of habitat improvement is not worried about what nature has to offer. Where as you referenced the slam to baiters """Yeah those who work hard on their property to improve wildlife habitat thereby making it more suitable for many types of wildlife might have some restless nights. Whereas the "pilers" can relax in their Lazy Boys knowing their bait is safe and sound in a feed sack somewhere"".. Planting apple trees, beans, corn, rye, turnips, rutabagas, etc., etc., etc., are short term. What good will they do in the winter months with 2 feet of snow on them ? If the deer stay on them into the winter and the snow gets too deep or the bait plots run out then what ?? The wdnr warns people who feed,, to feed the right nutrition all winter long.... Now good timber stand improvement is good wildlife improvement and long term.

As I stand by,, bait plots are short term same as baiting and are for one thing,, Pull, Hold, Congregate, and kill deer on private land. The two biggest differences are. Bait are restricted to 2 gallons... Bait plots you can have tons.

People who have done well for whatever reason can own land, machinery and bait plot to congregate deer on their property.

And for those less fortunate,, baiting may be all they have to compete with the bait plotters that are next to on private land.

You go on and say "" You would also know that I'm a proponent of private property rights and although I don't think baiting is in anybody's best interest, I believe that what people do on their own property (if legal) is their own business. """ But then you trash private land owners that bait!!! ""Yeah those who work hard on their property to improve wildlife habitat thereby making it more suitable for many types of wildlife might have some restless nights. Whereas the "pilers" can relax in their Lazy Boys knowing their bait is safe and sound in a feed sack somewhere..."""

What is it? Are a proponent of private property rights or not ? That last comment sure doesn't sound like it... You do realize some land owners do bait ?

You post """issues with baiting have to do with baiting on public land and the claiming of public land that goes along with it.""" Apparently you don't want to share the public land. If you find an illegal bait turn them in .

Scouting and finding a good place to deer hunt and putting up a stand or pop up on public land with or with out bait is legal on most public land. You will just have to get over it. Public land is for all to use. Everyone has to have the ethics to leave when you find someone already hunting in your spot and not condemn them .

This is no different then ice fishing with shacks that are left for months at a time. If its a great spot you should have gotten there first.

Or bait bears on public land with tree stands up. Are you against baiting bear and the person baiting claiming a spot of public land while he/she prepares for the hunt by baiting most of the summer?

You have for years attacked people who bait and feed,, you did it on this thread. """Whereas the "pilers" can relax in their Lazy Boys knowing their bait is safe and sound in a feed sack somewhere... """

Now you want to twist my comments and meaning by hiding behind a statement like this """Now you’re saying that just because I’m against baiting I can’t have apple trees?! The idea that somebody who is against baiting on public land is a hypocrite if they have apple trees in their backyard is ridiculous. By that philosophy, anybody who is against baiting should not have a garden or flowers or shrubs because the deer might eat them… Or a farmer that doesn't believe in baiting shouldn't be allowed to grow crops because the deer eat his crops. It just doesn’t make sense """

LOL,,,, And rest of your comments aren't even worth responding to.

22-May-15
Wow Ron’s freaking out tonight. Now he is a Beekeeper and a land manger building habitat for deer. You should see the shit he has on his hard drive…..wacko!!

23-May-15
This site takes the prize for the most dysfunctional group of ankle biting ingrades ever. Politics, baiting,xbows? A +. Habitat? Deer biology? Conservation? Duh....give me another shot. Truely sad

23-May-15
I tend to agree with you there Nov.

As a new land owner I have concluded that establishing food plots is a hell of a lot of work and requires a financial commitment too. I am tired of cutting down trees already and I have many more to do. I then need to get a $$dozer$$ in there to clear all the stumps. Next in will be my friend's tractor to disc it all. Then comes around a ton of lime and couple hundred pounds of fertilizer to match what the soil sample returned. Next up is spraying it all with Gly weeks later to kill that new surge of weeds and grass. I can then finally plant all that expensive seed and pray it grows so that the plot will feed (yes feed) the deer in the fall and through winter.

Anyone who thinks this is comparable to simply dropping 2 gallons of corn and sitting waiting for a deer to munch it is drinking the Kool-Aid.

23-May-15
The end result is the same your doing it to attract deer. Work smarter not harder! I can carry a bucket of alfalfa cubes and corn every couple days and feed them all winter.

23-May-15
"I can carry a bucket of alfalfa cubes and corn every couple days and feed them all winter "

Not when you live 3.5 hrs from where you hunt.

24-May-15
November and Happy, you are certainly part of the dysfunctional group, each and every time you post.

"The end result is the same your doing it to attract deer." While the cost of a bucket of alfalfa pales in comparison to putting in food plots, there is no question the purpose of the two is the same.

24-May-15
Most guys dump corn which has very little nutritional value for deer. We plant a variety of crops like turnips, radishes, rape, peas, oats, soybeans, and corn to attract/hold and keep the deer healthy through the winter. I wish all of our neighbors would do the same.

24-May-15
REALLY??

Planted or dumped the result is the same?? Are you that ignorant or just plain stupid?

2 gallons of bait no matter where you dump it does not do anything compared to the acres of crops that are planted every year. When the 2 gallons is gone what do you have? Nothing! Besides it last just hours maybe a day at most. Look at the number of animals that benefit from that 2 gallons.

When the deer visit a clover field or corn field they are provided days and days worth of nutrition, cover and a place to live.

The main goal if my crops are to harvest enough in order to be able to cover expenses. I don't harvest every last bit grain or bale of clover. There is always something left for the critters who inhabit the property.

To say that the end result of my farming is the same as dumping 2 gallons of bait is just plain dumb.

I suppose that clear cutting mature forests so they can regenerate is stupid to.

The end result is not the same! when you dump 2 gallons during the season you quit when you punch your tag or the season ends. Some of out there actually provide food and habitat for the critters.

24-May-15

FIP's embedded Photo
FIP's embedded Photo
"This site takes the prize for the most dysfunctional group of ankle biting ingrades ever."

Picture for you November; ^)

No doubt Ron is a flaming Liberal. He detests people who work hard and improve habitat by planting conservation plots for the long term health of the herd. He takes the liberal stance of just dumping a pile taking what he wants and moving on. CNN analysis material.

24-May-15
"Most" plot sized feeding stations are shot by late season. The idea of feeding through the winter is fantasy unless your planting 100+ acres.

Doing habitat work is fine but don't use habitat in the same sentence as food plots to justify them. Food in the woods is just that no matter how it gets there grown or thrown.

24-May-15
The cold knocked out over half of the blossoms, maybe some of those just dropped because it was their time to drop. A few trees that did not have blossoms open then are open now. It was 70 degrees with a few rain drops falling and I observed one bee doing their job.

24-May-15
Capt Mike / Drop Tine ++

24-May-15
Most of the guys that complain and whine about food plots are the guys that don't have land or equipment to put them in. You can call them bait plots or whatever, bottom line is food plots benefits the deer and increases your opportunities. Whats wrong with that?

24-May-15
Of course there is no such word as "ingrade" in the English language. November may have meant "ingrate" but without him using the spell-checker we will never know for sure.

24-May-15
Mike F, RJN, and FIP - you are all spot on.

Here are my goals for creating food plots on my land:

- open the forest floor because my land is too dense with cover

- create a food source that does not exist in or around this dense cover I own and the neighors own

- have a diverse food source that differentiates my land from the neighbors who just toss out corn

- attract deer to my land from the neighbors who are not offering the deer the nutrition they desire

- provide the deer nutrition into winter which happens for everyone who plants a grain/cereal mix fall plot

That should be enough fodder for Tennille (Ronny) to attack. I don't see her partner the Captain attacking seeing he does plant food plots whereas we know Ronny is simply an illegal corn dropper.

24-May-15
Dumping out 2 gallons of corn would be gone daily in our area. Replacing it everyday would be more work than taking a weekend to plant our 5 acres of plots. We have standing crops through Feb when a little pile of corn would be wiped out by coons, turkeys and squirrels.

24-May-15
Dumping 2 gallons by me would be gone in a matter of hours. Deer are like a trained seal coming to the sound of the bait being dumped.

Never had a deer come running to the sound of the tractor with the cultivator or seed drill following behind. Come to think of it never had a deer come running to the haybine either!

RC, Dave, how many trips do you have to make into the woods to equal the number of bushels of corn that we leave standing through the winter???

Oh yeah, to add insult to injury, what I do is LEGAL, unlike dumping corn or wringing the kernels off the cob.

Just remember that one ;-)

24-May-15
Hapless, I have never taken a position on baiting, other than saying if it is legal I am OK with it. I do plant about 7 acres of plots a year. I also think they do more for wildlife than a pile of bait dumped from a bucket. However, I would never claim that my main reason for planting them was to benefit warbleros. It is to attract and benefit a higher deer population than I would have with no food plots. Don't be a hypocrite.

25-May-15
This whole Bashing started because of a person thrashing of another persons way of hunting. "Baiting"

The following article was taken off of Africa hunting.com

Last week I was informed by a local blog reader that the El Dorado Park (Long Beach, CA) archery range we know and love has disallowed use of 3D animal targets effective immediately. I was shocked as I have been using 3D animal targets at the range for over five years with no issues. Using the 3D animal targets allows us to better prepare for hunting season. I read this excerpt in the California Bowmen Hunters newsletter about the change; There was a recent ruling at the El Dorado Archery Range, by the Long Beach Parks and Recreation Department, that disallows the placement of...and shooting at... 3D animal targets in front of the butts on this range. This is a practice that has been enjoyed by target archers and bowhunters for years without problems. This ruling was based upon two women who had observed an archery class being taught by Marcus Bossett. They were aghast at seeing youth shooting at 3D Animal Targets and demanded that the park stop this terrible practice. The “terribly offensive” class is called “Instinctive Archery” and Marcus has been using his own personal 3D targets for his students to shoot at so they know how to shoot and score all of the tournaments held in California which includes the 3D tournaments. These two women managed to cause a sweeping policy change that includes the entire archery range and anyone who comes to enjoy it.

We, All, should get over how someone hunts legally and ban together and fight individuals like these two women who are loving hunters bashing hunters.

I don't particularly like crossbows for the healthy or to run the crossbow season the whole archery season or crossbow kills called archery kills,, but it is here to stay and I'm over it. I still don't have to like it but I'm doing my best to keep my mouth shut.

We all want our own little kingdom ( weather public or private, baiting or food plots ) but there are a lot of forces from outside that want to destroy it.

Just something to think about.

25-May-15
Yo Captain - try that comprehension thing you so often push on others when not telling them they are ignorant and have forgotten their meds (really, at your old age you continue to play that card? Me thinks you know a thing or two first hand about these meds seeing you use the line so often.). Nowhere did I ever state or insinuate food plots are not intended to draw deer. Perhaps you somehow even missed this line I posted right above yours "- attract deer to my land from the neighbors who are not offering the deer the nutrition they desire ". It is clear as can be for those who choose to decipher/understand what they read versus just looking to attack. Let me know what your spell checker thinks (BTW, I personally wrote Me thinks instead of I think ;)). I have to go take my daily vitamins although I am fortunate that at age 53, none of them are prescription meds.

"RC, Dave, how many trips do you have to make into the woods to equal the number of bushels of corn that we leave standing through the winter??? "

I somehow think that the Captain's illegal corn dropping bowsite partner Tennille (RC/davebow/Howatt/et al) will not give you an honest answer Mike F. Honesty has never been in his/her vocabulary. Illegal corn dropping is his/her mantra.

25-May-15
Hapless, comprehend this. If a bucket of corn attracts deer then it also must be the "nutrition they desire." At least now I know why you don't smell the stench of your buddy November's hypocrisy as it is the same as yours.

25-May-15
Ever notice how when guys are losing and they realize it they turn to “lets ban together because the anti’s are going to shut us down” LOL

Thanks to the guys growing conservation plots with the hopes of killing a nice buck and feeding the herd for 9 month 24/7 promoting healthy animals with higher birthing rates and survival. Not even close to the guy dumping 100lbs the weekend before gun season.

25-May-15
"Hapless, comprehend this. If a bucket of corn attracts deer then it also must be the "nutrition they desire." "

Yep, I agree with that. Never said otherwise. The deer do eat the corn that is dropped. Who would argue that? I surely never have. However, that is not what you cried foul on.

"At least now I know why you don't smell the stench of your buddy November's hypocrisy as it is the same as yours. "

Wow Mike, forget your meds today (sorry, it was out there and I just wanted to be like Mikey)? You seem angry just because it is apparent your comprehension skills are lacking as of late. You see, you said this:

"It is to attract and benefit a higher deer population than I would have with no food plots. Don't be a hypocrite." ...and I said that nowhere did I state that I think that planting food plots is not used to draw deer. Of course it is to attract deer. I don't think anyone has ever said otherwise. But, plots offer far more than that and you even graciously pointed that out. Now please stick to the point you are trying to show hypocrisy on. You tend to drift and wander just so you can attack particular people who opine differently than you. Why the anger all the time Mikey? With all your worldly possessions you'd think you'd be, well, a happy go lucky guy. I guess money can't buy happiness. I think you need some time on the h2o. Aren't the Coho biting in Milw yet?

25-May-15
Sorry Happy, no anger, just little tolerance for those who speak from both ends. Actually, very busy, Manitoba trip coming up soon. I know you most likely won't approve as we will be catching walleye and northerns and you are a musky kind of guy. Don't think it will bother me greatly but I'll take meds along, just in case I get an attack of not measuring up to happy standards.

25-May-15

happygolucky's embedded Photo
happygolucky's embedded Photo
Mikey, I love fishing in Canada. I just don't brag about my trips, boats, etc like you like to do. Ever hear of the word "humble"? I love catching pike and eyes, just not trolling for them - too boring for me. The gator in this pic was on my very first cast of the trip last year on a 1/8 ounce jig and plastic fishing eyes with an ultra-light with 4# Pline fluoro - 1hr north of Red Lake via fly-in. Like shooting fish in a barrel (or hunting over a bucket of corn - j/k people :)). The fishing diversions in this thread have been fun! BTW, you taking your bowsite partner Tennille with you?

25-May-15
Yep Tennille, you are right, at 42" she was little compared to others. I never said she was big, just that I like to fish pike. You seem to lack comprehension too. I prefer not to hug big fish to protect their slime. If you knew anything about fishing, you'd know that hugging big fish is a stupid thing to do. Glad you are not a Musky fisherman. All C&R Musky fishermen are thankful for that.

25-May-15
"Mikey, I love fishing in Canada. I just don't brag about my trips, boats, etc like you like to do. Ever hear of the word "humble"?"

With enough rope, they always hang themselves. If I wanted to brag I could take up much more space here, that is not my intention in the least. Fact is, you, in multiple other posts, bring up my "shiny big boat" and make half-hearted attempts to belittle. I simply throw it back in your face.

To answer your question, no, Dave couldn't make this one. This is a family trip, me, the wife and daughters.

Nice fish!

25-May-15
Mikey, I never once tried to belittle with when I called your big Sea Ray "a shiny beautiful boat" because that is what she is. I say that with envy and with full appreciation for what it takes to keep them money pits looking good. If you took those couple of comments that way, I sincerely apologize. No doubt we both probably read deeper into each other's posts than need be. I recently sold my bigger money pit and was glad to see her go bye-bye. Turned that page and closed that book.

Enjoy the family trip. That is awesome of you to take the whole family. You are lucky to have a family where everyone participates. Only the males in my family do although my daughter did hunt for 3 years. I hope you all get a bear and catch some fish. Your bowsite partner will miss you greatly while you are away.

Travel safe!

25-May-15
Thanks happy!

30-May-15

Jeff in MN's Link
Here we go again. Predicted low of 30 in Hayward between 4 and 5 AM Sunday morning.

On the subject of vanishing bees. There was a 2 hour special on Pivot network a couple of days ago on colony collapse disorder. I caught the second half, very informative. The pivot network web site sucks so I have linked the dishnetworks program guide. Pivot is channel 197, sroll down to get there. Next showing is 8:00 AM Saturday.

30-May-15
The show made the chemical companies and the government agencies in charge of approving chemicals look like idiots and money hungry jerks that only care about profits and not about potential side effects.

Europe appears to be way ahead of us on getting this problem corrected. (prohibit use of the chemicals known to be linked to CCD)

30-May-15
duplicate deleted, I hit the refresh key at the wrong time.

30-May-15
And the name of the thread is - "27 in central Wisconsin tonight!"

Seems like every road leads to the same place which is, of course, the never-ending baiting vs. food plots debate. It never takes long for a thread to become hijacked and turn into a schoolyard fight. If these are your subjects of choice start a thread. Here are some suggested titles.

My John Deere tractor is not the same as your five gallon pail.

You are a violator because you dump corn, but I'm not a violator when I hunt 20 minutes after closing time.

I do it because everybody else does it.

Advanced baiting techniques.

My way or the highway. Road kill deer are better anyway.

You're ugly, and your mother dresses you funny, therefore I am better than you.

If I don't feed the deer they will starve.

Sure I shoot six deer a year but my mother, my wife, and my children tagged them. At least I don't use a crossbow.

Just because it's legal doesn't make it legal.

I'm right. You're wrong. Why don't you understand that?

Hunting natural deer movement is for losers.

Shooting a big buck makes me feel viral and manly.

It doesn't matter how I do it. The end justifies the means.

01-Jun-15
just to get back on track, and using a friends lap top I can tell you the hatches on the water are 2 weeks behind, according to my edimologist friend.... have no idea if I spelled that right........

the smallmouth fishing is excellent, they like this fall like weather......

cold nites for the next 2 but great for sleeping

02-Jun-15
Covered the gardens for thr 4 time in 2 weeks , Should be finished with the 20's stuff .

As far as the Bees go . The guy down the street had 10 hives tore up by 4 Bears last week . Bears must be causing the Bee shortage . Therefore we must kill all the Bears . :-]

02-Jun-15

Since this has turned partially into a fishing thread... I was able to hold up this 43.5 incher without hugging it.

02-Jun-15
Well done Cheesehead Mike. Good to see someone who actually knows and cares about the conservation of trophy fish!

03-Jun-15

Thanks happy!

Regarding bees; we had 2 extremely cold winters back to back, not last winter but the previous two. I know that extreme cold for long durations can have an impact on some insect populations and I wonder if it has anything to do with a reduction bee numbers.

Looks like my apples survived the cold nights; I took this photo yesterday. It's amazing how fast they go from blossoms to little apples. Looks like it's going to be a good year for apples in my back yard.

03-Jun-15

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Not as big as Mikes but a decent one in a light action rod and 8 lb. test line.

03-Jun-15
Awesome Drop Tine.

• Sitka Gear