South Dakota
Contributors to this thread:
Rocky D 13-May-15
Brotsky 13-May-15
leftee 13-May-15
leftee 13-May-15
Rocky D 13-May-15
13-May-15
I am planning to spend a couple of weeks hunt whitetail last week of October - first week of November. I Really do not want to draw undue pressure to the area via this thread but would appreciate any PMs on your thoughts as to size to hold out for, pressure on public ground, hunting tactics etc...

Anything that is generic just post here but if you are willing to provide specifics pleas do so via PM.

I appreciate all feed back and really just wanting to hunt somewhere different this year.

This is not a meat hunt by no means but just wanting hunt a good mature buck on the prairie. Right now I do not know what that is on public ground.

Expectation management is probably my biggest concern.

I am a very serious daylight to dark hunter who is willing to walk to get away from the crowd if that is possible.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

13-May-15
Rocky, that area has been hit hard by EHD in recent years. There's obviously still pockets that hold good numbers and good deer but just be advised that it is a factor. Any buck you are able to take will be a good one out there.

13-May-15
Have hunted there a lot but not for 4-5 years so.... I suspect you will have access issues unless you are very close to the river or utilizing 'Walk In' areas. I suspect you will see a fair number of deer but few bucks over 125.There are very big deer there but..... I suspect you will be hunting ravines n fairly steep terrain where scent control will be a major challenge. If at all possible try get private access in advance.A starting point might be to contact Eban Bailey a rancher a few miles out of town. IMO the bottom line is beautiful country with fair numbers but few 'bigs' except on certain private parcels. Consider a turkey license if available.

13-May-15
Was typing while Brotsky was posting I guess.Totally forgot about his EHD point.A darn good one.

13-May-15
Thanks all, please keep them coming.

• Sitka Gear