CaptMike 19-May-15
TRACKER66 19-May-15
CaptMike 20-May-15
happygolucky 20-May-15
14-May-15

Novemberforever's Link
Lots of solid info.

14-May-15
Yup very sad. Trophy mule deer hunting ended in several areas of Colorado and Wyoming several years ago ... but the CWD data was removed from DNR web pages. This has already started on CWD areas of Iowa county Wisconsin, a decline in trophy whitetails. Management goes out the window when CWD removes most of the wall hangers before they mature. This was predicted a decade ago but suppressed, and is still suprpessed today. The real data is harder to find, under funded, and not reported .... is this what voters want from the current administration?

15-May-15
Not saying CWD MAY not be a problem !! But when QDMA makes a statement like this " Bait, feed and mineral sites can congregate deer unnaturally, making it easier for them to swap saliva or come in contact with the urine or feces of other deer – all of which can transmit the infectious materials that cause CWD."

You have to wonder what their motivation really is when they don't in include bait plots. Bait plots congregate, pull and hold more deer for longer periods of time in an area then 2 gallons of bait.

Of course QDMA is all about making money via bait plot promotions and products . Hmmmmmmm If they truly were concerned about CWD they would be against ANY form of human activity that can congregate deer unnaturally, making it easier for them to swap saliva or come in contact with the urine or feces of other deer – all of which can transmit the infectious materials that cause CWD." ( Including Bait Plots )

Self serving to say the least !!!

15-May-15
Sagittarius, the state has spent somewhere around 40 million on CWD, as have other states spent considerable amounts. To date, there is nothing that I am aware of that has been found to remedy it. What would you suggest they do and how much more funding is needed, in your opinion?

15-May-15
CaptMike,, You are correct and a state audit back some time ago found that the 34 million spent at that time was a waste of money. Imagine what 34 million could have done to our northern schools that are now shutting down.

15-May-15
When CWD showed up I was for going all out to see if it could be stopped. I suggested setting snares for deer, bounties and hired guns. Not enough people were willing to go all in. The politicians were afraid just like they are afraid to stop baiting. I did not see many here step up and lead but hindsight makes us smarter I hope.

16-May-15
.......and even if baiting were 100% proven to spread diisease in the wild herd and was illegal, people like DB would still throw out their corn.

That's what's so disappointing to me. They can't help themselves because it's the only way they know.....their GO TO tactic. Disease concerns take a back seat.

16-May-15
But do date baiting has not been proven to be the cause nor the reason for the spread of this disease, so what was your point? Does every thread need to be turned into a baiting debate?

17-May-15
Nobody will ever be able to prove what the cause of the spread of the disease is. We do know it is spreading though. The boundaries are expanding. If the prions were not already in the ground in the expanded areas, then the deer really had to pass the disease via something communicative. I can't blame the DNR for erring on the safe side and banning baiting in known CWD areas. It's not like hunters can't hunt in those areas. They just have to do it the way the vast majority of the people do it.

18-May-15
Well said Tracker:

.......and even if baiting were 100% proven to spread disease in the wild herd and was illegal, people like DB would still throw out their corn. That's what's so disappointing to me. They can't help themselves because it's the only way they know.....their GO TO tactic. Disease concerns take a back seat.

Poachers are gonna poach and many will continue to look for shortcuts rather than have to spend the time to actually hunt the animal.

18-May-15
Happy, again, I agree. I don't think there is much question that the disease can be spread through close contact like through saliva or possibly other bodily fluids. I also do not blame the DNR for erring on the safe side regarding baiting. I think the problem lies in defining what is baiting. Is it limited to 2 gallon piles, a dump truck load? What about a small water trough? What about a small farm pond? How about a eighth of an acre food plot or a mineral lick. How about a larger sized crop field where the deer tend to feed along the edges? As you noted, deer will dig into the ground for naturally occurring minerals (which is a sign that their bodies do need minerals) and prions could be spread there also.

After talking with CWD researchers I was told CWD can be spread by predators where the prions are passed through the digestive system and back into nature while remaining viable. Those same prions can be passed in either stagnant or moving water such as a creek or river where an infected deer died. They can be carried for many miles by a predatory bird that defecates waste that contains viable prions.

Point is, while we can and should be trying to limit the spread of the disease, the main emphasis should be on finding a way to prevent healthy deer from becoming infected.

Good conversation, other than by a few who add nothing but to show their immaturity and agenda. Dare I say they are ignorant?

18-May-15
Mike-

You tend to get a little defensive when others make true comments about your idol. Who will you call ignorant tomorrow as you seem to like to call folks that when they write things you don't agree with? I couldn't care less what you think.

Are deer numbers still at historically high levels as you stated in another thread? Who is ignorant here?

18-May-15
Brady, the ignorant comment stems from you attempting to bring baiting into this thread. Just to help you out, the title is "Informative CWD article." And yes, on a historical basis, they are still high. Is Hunter really your last name or is it just no big "Deal?"

19-May-15
LOL at getting banned under "yet another name/handle" RC. You maintain your ability to post despite consistently breaking forum rules.

19-May-15
Regardless, it would be nice to have threads where the discussion remained on topic.

19-May-15
LMAO RC/Dave/Howatt/Rick Flair, etc. Not only do you not know who I am, but you (a known violator and liar) are calling me out for breaking the rules. Let the clownshow continue

19-May-15
Prions drifting in a creek or coming out the north end of a southbound coyote is something entirely different than a 10 year old stinking mess of a corn pile that is visited daily by multiple doe groups.

But whatever helps you justify your habit mike & Dave......its your right to bait. But is it right to bait? ??

19-May-15
Tracker, you know who you are when you ASSume? I do not bait. I plant food plots and they can be called a form of baiting but no piles for me. No need to, I hunt my own land in an area with good deer numbers. That said, I have nothing against baiting.

If you took a little time to breathe before you spoke you might actually come up with something intelligent. Give it a try, the results will be no worse than what you have posted to date.

By the way, if a pile of corn is ten years old then apparently the deer don't use it much, do they?

19-May-15
I know lots of people who put their corn in the same spot year after year. Some of them from way back in the good old days when it was 10 gallons. Which is more likely to spread lady one of a number of deer diseases.........a feces and urine soaked 10 foot patch of ground, or a creek than a raccoon took a leak in?

It your story man...tell it how you please but back off on the false equivalencies, it's more than a little weak.

20-May-15
Funny, I don't hunt with any who place piles. Apparently you are much closer to baiters than I.

But, "hey man", it is your story.

20-May-15
Yet another thread ruined by RC/Howatt/davebow/Rancid/rickflare/et al. Why must you ruin every thread you touch Ronny? Can you ever stay on topic? You feel the need to piggyback on every one of Mike's posts. You for sure are the Captain's Tennille and bowsite's perpetual ruiner of threads. You ruin virtually every one you touch. Now please let this thread get back on track although I feel certain you won't.

• Sitka Gear