Mike F 07-Jun-15
CaptMike 07-Jun-15
>>>--arrow1--> 07-Jun-15
07-Jun-15
Mike F 07-Jun-15
>>>--arrow1--> 08-Jun-15
Mike F 08-Jun-15
15-May-15
What is there to consider, as mineral sites are illegal in WI at this time of year. That is of course unless it is within 50 yards of an inhabited dwelling. Are you encouraging people to break the law?

15-May-15
He's not encouraging breaking the law, just blame it on your dad.

15-May-15
Relevant thread Rc. illegal until bow opens then only 1/2 the state@2 gallons/40 acres which is meaningless for herd health.

15-May-15
I got a order web page? Is this a commercial?

16-May-15
I think it is sad that states like WI and MI do not allow for minerals sites year round. The deer seem to crave the minerals later winter into spring and summer. They stop using them for the most part in fall. I personally don't consider minerals sites to feeding but I know the opinions on that will vary. The deer will dig the dirt to get minerals whether that dirt is enhanced or not. Minerals are a big reasons places like Buffalo County always represents the P&Y and B&C list yet the UP of MI rarely does due to the poor minerals in the ground.

16-May-15
Agree with happy.

16-May-15
I definitely don't agree with the law, but I still follow it. We don't get to pick and choose which laws we follow.

17-May-15
I do get a kick out of people who think that minerals will help them shoot a buck because like stated deer don't really need or use them in hunting season. But the reason baiting is not legal in Wisconsin is because of disease transmition. Minerals are more of a danger for this than a pile of corn.

Can't we just let the deer live a natural life? I'm sure they get enough minerals from nature.

17-May-15
As rut stated its illegal. Enough said. Mineral is a coverword for bait. There is zero science that supports supplement mineral then you get into scented mineral/bait, ect. Pro mineral is pro spearing, multiple lines, trot lines, trolling, ect.

17-May-15
Whoa there November! I'm against minerals and bait but I've speared a sturgeon, use my 3 legal lines at times, grew up running trot lines (legally), and troll walleyes and salmon all summer long!

17-May-15
"Pro mineral is pro spearing, multiple lines, trot lines, trolling, ect. "

There is zero correlation there at all in reality.

Minerals may not grow bigger and healthier deer, but the deer do crave them in late winter, spring, and summer. Those using them in states where they are legal get lots of activity on them. They surely don't hurt the deer.

What I think the DNR should do is make minerals legal outside of hunting season and then illegal during the season.

19-May-15
Ron, please post the link. Thanks.

19-May-15
Still looking for more multi-millions in sponsorships (whether or not it'll ever work). Can't say I blame the researchers, seems like a good gig.

The "promising" research just concluded (four-year study) in penned deer found that all six of the deer in the control group (placebo) contracted CWD and died. All but one of the deer given the vaccine also contracted CWD, but survived an average of 300 days longer. The deer given the highest concentration did not contract CWD at all, but how are you going to administer it in the highest concentration in a wild situation, even with feed? Most deer given the vaccine did not live even a year longer.

“Even if such a vaccine gave only partial protection from CWD, increasing the herd immunity would inhibit the current rapid spread of CWD, thus reducing the zoonotic potential,” the study stated.

The solution to CWD? Not yet. Not by a long shot. But yes, perhaps a step in the right direction. Sponsors welcome for the next multi-year study!

19-May-15
The cost and logistics of the vaccine are still perplexing to me. Who (state, group(s), individuals) would be responsible for the costs and getting adequate disbursement to make any difference would be quite the challenge too. Not saying it is not doable, just thinking about the “whos” and "hows". You have to like it conceptually. I’m just afraid it would be cost prohibitive.

19-May-15
Deer will use mineral sites year around. They did when it was legal to feed year around......not sure why the deer would stop because the DNR made it illegal?

I am sure it was the salt that attracted them more so than the mineral.

20-May-15
Deer & Deer Hunting wouldn't just be trying to please its advertisers, now would it? Nah, just like politicians and poachers, the whole truth and nothin' but the truth.

20-May-15
RC, what the hell is there to consider? It's not legal.

20-May-15
All the noise about baiting. Officials have enough poaching cases to worry about then salt poured on the ground. And don't start with the "one violation leads to more" nonsense.

21-May-15
"All the noise about baiting. Officials have enough poaching cases to worry about then salt poured on the ground. And don't start with the "one violation leads to more" nonsense."

I think police have enough to worry about without pulling over people that have a few drinks and drive. How about driving ten over the speed limit, that hurts no one. Seatbelt laws are stupid, it only hurts me if I don't wear it. We don't get to pick which laws we follow.

21-May-15
As I understand it, plenty of dollars folks blame on as "wasted on CWD" were actually used for bait/feed enforcement. That's just the category that it ended up in. At least the state's general fund got a little of it back from the fraction of violators caught. At least that's more $ to give to charter schools and WEDC while taking it away from public education and parks.

21-May-15
RC, it's not perfectly legal at this time of year when the deer would benefit most. You are giving bad information.

21-May-15
Legal only within 50 yards of home in WI counties not under bait/feed bans. Most folks don't place it there.

21-May-15
It's legal if you put no more than 2 gallons out and don't put it out till hunting season starts, then you need to remove it after hunting season which would involve digging up and removing all dirt that it leeched into which I doubt anyone, especially a known violator, is going to do.

21-May-15
"Wrong again. Read the info in the link I provided."

Wrong again RC, I covered all that in my first post in this thread.

07-Jun-15

>>>--arrow1-->'s embedded Photo
>>>--arrow1-->'s embedded Photo
November,,"" Mineral is a coverword for bait""

LOL debate free and you write that !!

Food Plots are also a cover words for Bait Plots which is also Baiting on a Huge scale.

07-Jun-15
Went out and check mineral sites that haven't been used for years. The critters are still using them.

I asked my local warden about them and he said there is no way he can prove the minerals are "freshened" up unless he see's them when he checks the site.

Personally if you want to do it and it is legal, go for it. If it's illegal and you do it, you are a violator.

07-Jun-15
Arrow +1

07-Jun-15
Mike F,, per my Warden Any your mineral site is Illegal and has to be covered up if it does not the meet the definition of the law, Even old ones !!!

07-Jun-15
>>>--arrow1--> is just another RC personality

07-Jun-15
Arrow1

The only warden I worry about is the one who looked at the sites and said they are OK.

I also have my bait sites checked every year to make sure I don't miss anything.

08-Jun-15
Mike F not debating you just showing the different in opinion, understanding and interpretation of the law by law enforcement.

08-Jun-15
Arrow1-

No offense taken. Agreed, it's all in the interpretation of the law.

I suppose if there was a stand over it that would be a different story too!

• Sitka Gear