Zach 29-May-15
8pointer 31-May-15
timbo 04-Jun-15
Zach 05-Jun-15
Paul@thefort 05-Jun-15
15-May-15

Acu-Archer's embedded Photo
Something many of us have thought would happen sooner or later--a wolf shot in CO.

(see article screencap below, with photo)

FYI, I have friends near Golden Gate St. Park near Golden, and also folk in Evergreen, who believe they've seen them, and even had livestock (mostly chickens & goats) taken by wolves.

It's no longer speculation.

We probably should have had a clue when one was found dead on I-70 a few years back.

I believe there's an established protocol for when hunters see wolves. They are pretty difficult to distinguish from coyotes, as the article establishes.

15-May-15

Here's the pic that went along with the article:

15-May-15
Other than size they can be really hard to tell apart. How they handle this will be interesting to see, it is also the reason we need to support de-listing of wolves at the federal level and get it done asap.

I saw one 4 years ago about 20 miles north of where this one was shot.

We can only hope that we never get a breeding population started in this state, otherwise future generations will not have hardly any hunting opportunity left.

15-May-15
Mistake kills may become more prevalent.

15-May-15
I seen a gray one and the black one running together in the middle of the highway near the summit of Gore pass which is about 10 miles west of where this one was shot

15-May-15
Wisconsin has the same issues with wolves. A lot of people in northern Wisconsin do the 3's Shoot, Shovel, Shut up.

15-May-15
I thought I heard one real late one night in the Gore Range in 2013, can't be certain but I was only about 30 miles from where this one was shot...

15-May-15
Yep, the one filmed by the WCO in North Park was not far from there, but that was a black one. Not sure what color the pair are that have been summering in the Laramie River valley the past couple seasons. I'll ask my CPW friend. A number of credible people have seen the dark one running around up here near the WY border, including my wife and a friend who manages a big ranch nearby.

They're here, but they're not...

15-May-15
If this isn't proof positive, I don't know what is.. I've seen wolf track in the Gore Range. I know people that swear they've seen wolves up around Ute Pass. They are out there folks. Time to do some backcountry coyote hunting.

15-May-15
If they charge this guy, I imagine the likelihood of the next accidental kill being self-reported will drop significantly. Even without this one being confirmed yet, in 2004, 2007 & 2009 we have confirmed wolves that i know of and hundreds of unconfirmed sightings in the same time frame. Its obvious they are here. Maybe small numbers but a couple of those were confirmed to have come from Montana hundreds of miles farther away than the closest established packs in Wyoming.

15-May-15
Hard to take a DNA test to find out it's not a coyote before you shoot. I would seriously call foul if they charge this hunter. Heck, they have a guy from Alaska who won't say for sure it's a wolf.

15-May-15
I saw 2 of them over 10 years ago north of Granby opening weekend of archery elk season. Never saw an elk that weekend

And yes, I do know what they look like as we had them on on our farm in N. Minnesota back in the day.

15-May-15
Dbl post

16-May-15
Ya that's a wolf and no he wouldn't be charged and I wish he get the skin and skull also but that wouldn't happen some fed will have a nice wall decoration and a fabricated story to tell

But once the the Feds recognize that Colorado has them and has suitable habitat for a thousand breeding pairs any future shooters wouldn't be so lucky Welcome to the wonderful world of wolfs

They love elk our small non expanding herd in Wisconsin has been a tasty snack for them. So much so they haven't been able to reproduce fast enough to satisfy there taste for elk so the state brought in some more this spring from Kentucky Don't think the wolfs will find the southern elk any less tasty!

16-May-15
I hunt around this area and have seen tracks before, they are definitely around. A buddy of mine had one run up his drive way north of fort Collins a few years ago. Can't believe DOW still insists there aren't any wolves in Colorado. I really want to kill one and bring it to the DOW office and tell them here's another one of your big coyotes. Last thing Colorado needs is a growing wolf population, look what they've done to Montana and Idaho elk populations and livestock. If I ever see one I will definitely try and kill it, if they don't exist in Colorado then how can they punish you for taking a wolf.

16-May-15
I have never had the CPW denie that wolves are in the state. However a breeding pair is a different story. They really can not deny they exist, but hopefully we only get the occasional wondered.

I also know there was rumor that some pet wolves were "lost" released from a rescue center near rabbit ears. There were like 9 that were un accounted for and were claimed to be seen in the area for years.

16-May-15
What really amazes me is that it takes some college educated idiot / wildlife biologist to do a DNA test to determine if it is a wolf or coyote.

16-May-15
I could tell you right away by looking at it that it's a wolf. I would have chucked it in the bushes and left as fast as I could have gotten to my car.

17-May-15
Worst thing they can do is post pics. Shoot shovel shut up!

17-May-15
I would like to see a breeding pair of wolves set up on the evergreen heard. It would be pleasant to be on the golf course surrounded by million dollar homes and have one of the holes closed because there was too much blood on the fairway as wolves are eating a fetus out of a cow elk.

And all the families living on the course could go and watch as they stroll on the cart path for their evening walk with their pets.

Hell talk about point creep!!!

Lets put a breeding pair in the north west corner of the state. Not a lot of people there? In Unit 1 or 2 something like that.

Maybe north west of creed, now that is some beautiful country they could certainly put some wolves in that area. Theres wilderness not a lot of people it would be a real sanctuary, they would stay in the wilderness and not leave cause they don't like to travel that far.

17-May-15
I almost forgot, if you work for the CPW are out of state hunters really going to pay $1000 for a colorado elk tag? Yes probably but not to the extent they have before. More than half the CPW jobs will be gone, no CPW "park rangers" it will be a free for all SSS!

21-May-15
another thing I don't get is why is a wolf in Colorado considered endangered when you can buy a tag in states like Idaho and Montana. So as soon as that wolf steps foot into Colorado it's considered endangered? I still say shoot em all. Seems like these "roamers" are getting more and more frequent only a matter of time before packs start to establish. Keep em thin before Colorado turns into Montana or Idaho.

21-May-15
Bowcross skin... Are you really hoping that they introduce and establish breeding pairs in the state? If so you are a complete moron... We do not have the space left for wolves in this state. No matter where you put them they will not stay. The North West corner is a horrible idea and if you were sitting at my table you would have been slapped for such an utterance. Simply put in the future Colorado will struggle to game populations without wolves. Everyday more and more open space and winter range is being turned into houses, parking lots etc. The animals left are constantly getting pushed into smaller and smaller areas.this is especially true in wintering grounds. If the wolves get established in the NW corner like you mention in 10 years the largest migratory elk herd in the world would be decimated. The wolves would have a hay day eating up the bears ear and flat top herds.

Sorry but there is no place for wolves here, unless we all agree that every place is a place for wolves!

21-May-15
I believe he was being facetious coelker.

21-May-15
Lollll coelker I was being facetious. I think you might have just read the first sentence and then saw "RED!!!"

I was referring to unit 2 and and 76.

Wolves will not work in colorado. Anywhere!!!!

This winter I was south of Kremmling looking for coyotes. I saw one estimated it to be 300yds and shot, I shot under. I went over again in my head it didn't make sense based on the size of the yote. Biggest coyote tracks I've ever seen.

Coelker they are here, South park, middle park and north park. A friend of mine lives near Crested Butte and has tracks near his cabin for year now. He's only seen a white one down there.

Wasn't it a few years ago that there was some weird stuff going on in 55 & 56 with tags? It was an over the counter with caps? I think it was something like that.

Wolves are here and all the anti groups are poised to attack, sportsman, ranchers and outdoor enthusiast need to start mobilizing.

21-May-15
Well in my other post a dude was saying that the only way we can consider hunting fair chase is if we are hunting where there is a significant wolf population. I have also heard other hunters say exactly what you said. Let em go in RMNP and in the NW corner.... I have also heard hunters say a few would not be so bad. A good example is a guy on MM with a handle named BUZZ. He is one of those who think that since he can hunt and kill an elk the wolves are not bad, etc.

you are welcome to sit at my table anytime, lol.

22-May-15
Haa Thanks Coelker!!

26-May-15
Positive sign is that it's a small fry. Wondering if it's one from NM that made it up here. The wolves I've seen and my brother has tanned in Montana are close to twice that size, scary.

26-May-15
If its a 90# wolf as stated in the article, thats a normal adult size. 150# + isn't common. Looks smaller in the pic but could be the angle.

27-May-15
A small pack has been running around my cabin near CB for about 6 yrs. now. They have had interpretive posters inside local gas stations for about 4 yrs now. Gray wolves being here among us....is really OLD news.

27-May-15
How many have you shot crestedbutte?

28-May-15
DNA confirms coyote hunter killed gray wolf in Kremmling last month Killing of endangered wolf under investigation

Alan Gathright 6:04 PM, May 28, 2015 colorado | investigation | kremmling | gray wolf | endangered species Colorado Parks & Wildlife DENVER, Colo. - DNA testing has confirmed a coyote hunter shot and killed an endangered gray wolf in Kremmling last month, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said Thursday.

An extensive DNA analysis was conducted at the agency's Forensics Laboratory in Ashland, Ore., because authorities initially said the animal potentially could be a wolf-dog hybrid, a dog or a coyote.

The wolf was shot on April 29 by a legal coyote hunter, who immediately notified Colorado Parks and Wildlife , which then notified the Service, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said in a news release.

The gray wolf is protected as an endangered species by both the federal government and the state of Colorado. The Service said it routinely investigates incidents affecting endangered species and will conduct this investigation with the assistance of CPW.

Colorado is not home to any officially recognized packs, but they are capable of traveling long distances and have been conformed as visiting the state.

28-May-15
Same # as you and everyone else....and I understand that fact alone makes the killing of one "new" news to some but it seems most folks reaction on hearing about this is they didn't know or believe they are really here.

29-May-15
I knew they were here. I saw their tracks in Glenwood canyon in the snow. About 6 different wolves. When I mentioned that on bowsite about 2 years ago I almost got laughed off the site.

29-May-15
Same experience I had 6 yrs ago when I told other nearby cabin owners about the small pack back in our valley. Back then, they looked at me as if I was from another planet? When the interpretive posters were put up in town 2 yrs later and when they finally saw the pack with their own eyes.....my credibility was fortunately restored.

I will be back in there this coming Oct. for 2 weeks during 2nd season mule deer. Will try to get a pic. if I see them?

29-May-15
I won't be getting any pictures if I ever see them inside 600 yards.

29-May-15
Saw one up near Whiskey Creek several years ago. Biggest yote I'd ever seen....

31-May-15
Is the yote still living Zach?

04-Jun-15
Close up it looks to be a wolf or wolf dog hybrid. Depending on your vision, the quality of your optics, the light conditions, shooting experience and hunting experience it might be reasonable to expect a hunter to discern that this animal was a wolf at 100 yards. Myself I am old and gray with poor eyesight, inexpensive optics with average marksman skills that relies on a rangefinder for range estimations with limited experience hunting coyotes. I seriously doubt I could tell the difference between a coyote, coydog, wolfdog or a wolf at 100 yards never mind 300 yards. If I was to inadvertently shoot a wolf, I would leave the animal where it lay. Knowing that I could face criminal prosecution for the inadvertent shooting of a wolf, I would assert my fifth amendment right and be silent.

05-Jun-15
8pointer, SSS...

05-Jun-15
Here is what I would do if I shot a wolf by mistake or under the (self protection rule) in Colorado. I would do the same for a mountain lion or bear if I did not have a license.

I would take it to the nearest CPW office and explain the situation and allow them to take charge of the dead wolf for inspection and biological assessment.

I have always tried to be a law bidding hunter for all animals, so I follow the rules and regulations as they pertain to all of them.

To do otherwise would go against every things I have learned about ethic, the law, and respecting wildlife and those in charge of our wildlife.

My best, Paul

• Sitka Gear