happygolucky 31-May-15
happygolucky 31-May-15
happygolucky 31-May-15
TrapperJack 31-May-15
happygolucky 01-Jun-15
15-May-15

Novemberforever's embedded Photo
My Son is spending 10 weeks with USFW on the road mist netting/banding and geochipping endangered male Warblers. 3 teams started in TN. and are taking 3 routes north to Canada. $75,000 in geochips, mistnets, calls, hotels.The geochip records sunrise/sunset and next year when caught they can tell exactly where the Warbler was from South america to Manitoba. The chips cost $175 each. They rolled into Sandhill refuge near Pittsville/Nekoosa last nite. Best day yet, 18 males caught/banded. goldwing/bluewing and hybrid. Their winter mature canopy in South America is being slashed and the mating/nesting sites in the midwest require young growth hardwoods/pines(deer,grouse).He saw the buffalo herd and lots of ruffed grouse in Sandhill. Next stop, rice lake,mn. then onto northern Manitoba.Federal trucks are not allowed in Canada so they are in UMinnesota trucks.Correction, they weigh 9 grams not oz. Interesting to see how fed $$$ are spent and why

15-May-15
Interesting, my nephew did the same as an intern while at Stevens Point. He later did an internship at the Big Horn Sheep Foundation in Dubois Wyoming. Now he is the lead wildlife biologist for the Peregrine Fund at the Grand Canyon. It has been an excellent career choice for him. What is sad is all of these talented kids are coming out of Point headed for places outside Wisconsin. Tried to persuade him to stay here and make a difference with the Whitetail herd. Wanted nothing to do with the WI DNR!

15-May-15
10, imo, a midwest kid wants out to the west. Deer bio jobs are more hunter management than science.Read this forum and most bio guys want to find a sharp object.Besides the jobs/$$$ are on the endangered list. Great career, highly educated young adults who care.

15-May-15
November-

Very neat! Thanks for passing the information on. Please keep us posted!

16-May-15
Nov. you are correct but, it would be great to keep some of that young talent here in Wisconsin whatever the discipline. If we had, Wisconsin might be in a lot better shape.

16-May-15
I have a trout fishing partner, that is a birder. graduated from Point, went private as a horticulturist, but knows all birds and plants and stuff......

Although he hunts buffalo county, he said it is going to be endangered birds, that need young forest, that is going to save deer in the north...

he said the feds are big into this bird program to save certain species, and they are rethinking their forest practices, because of those birds....

16-May-15
10orbetter, WI is a sinking ship. You can't expect promising youngsters to go down with it.

16-May-15
Funny that an endangered bird that many have never heard of or know about could be the thing that saves a multi-million dollar a year industry of deer hunting in northern WI.

16-May-15
They are not a meaty bird but 20-25 make a good soup;)

16-May-15
Blue-winged Warbler is plentiful, Golden-winged Warbler is listed as 'Near Threatened' (order is Threatened, then Endangered). There are two hybrids produced when the two species mix - Brewster's and Lawrence's - but hybrids aren't classified like species. A lot of the birds that we see fewer of here winter in central and south America. Summer habitat, winter habitat and migration routes all can be the reasons for fewer birds which is why studies like your son is participating in are so important.

There is also a 'Near Threatened' warbler in MI (Kirtlands) that relies on young Jackpine to nest. The fire suppression policies in the 19th century had the unexpected effect of creating a state with few young Jackpine and the Kirtlands became very rare.

A lot of species (game and non-game) benefit from wild places - even humans...

18-May-15

They wrapped up Sandhill refuge and are heading to Rice Lake,Mn. Easy pickings as the refuge has a strict logging practice so lots of young hardwoods and lots of ruffed grouse. Here's a pic of a banded/chipped bluewing just released with some bling.

18-May-15
Geitz, after seeing the picture I'm thinking more like 50 or so. They really are not very meaty.

19-May-15
I'm sure the Audubon Society has a web site, I just like to come on here and read bowhunting info, this site is ridiculous at times for the bowhunters.

19-May-15
X2

19-May-15
" this site is ridiculous at times for the bowhunters." And most bowhunters are ridiculously uneducated regarding habitat,carrying capacity, logging practices,deer biology, ect. Scrub, a major factor dpsm is so low on state/national forest is lack of logging. The ruffed grouse society has filed suit vs the feds for not logging. The endangered warbler needs young hardwoods/young pine growth to survive. Deer cant eat mature bark as browse. Do you see the connection to releasing an arrow now? Proper habitat means more deer in order to have bowhunting. So a 9 gram warbler or a grouse could change fed/state logging practices creating a cc of habitat that allows a guy to see way more deer/sit. The Sandhill refuge is a prime example of a thriving ecosystem due to a chainsaw since wildfires are no longer allowed to happen.

19-May-15
Scrub, if you can't see the direct correlation to bow/deer hunting this has. I think you probably need to take up another hobby. But perhaps you are one of those crossbow toting, bait dumping types. Most of them don't know squat about deer and habitat...

19-May-15

Geitz's embedded Photo
Geitz's embedded Photo
"A poorly placed shot would ruin a lot of meat. I would use a small BH that doesn't cause much damage (perhaps a thunderhead) "

19-May-15
November +1.

19-May-15
"Geitz, have you used such a head on a Turkey (or any bird)? Ive always wondered how a guy would practice with such a head. LOL"

You practice at warbleros but the geochip tends to dull the blades. And where do they stick those geochips....and at a cost of 150 bucks a piece. Yikes.

"Their winter mature canopy in South America is being slashed and the mating/nesting sites in the midwest require young growth hardwoods/pines"

Although I completely agree WI fed lands are managed very poorly, it does sound like this is South American problem and probably should be posted on their forum. There are plenty of nesting spots in WI which are not Fed lands.

If this thread was to point out the problem with Feds managing lands, habitat, etc...of which, we all understand and previously pointed out. Why exactly are we using 75K in tax payer money to geochip birds to prove South America is slashing their woods(which we cannot control) and Fed lands are managed poorly(which we already know)?

Why not pocket the 75K, hire loggers to cut the trees and use the money to increase habitat(already done by logging) then hire bird people to fight the S American loggers?

Better yet, pocket the 75k, log and reduce taxes with the additional funds....and still better the habitat for all the warblers, grouse, deer, et al.

Any other ideas on the importance of this thread?

19-May-15
Geitz, are you the legislative liason for the Wbh? You really don't need to know the total cost of this multiple year study with travel, hotel, salaries of field help,free tuition with salaries for multiple grad students, ect. Aldo Leopold and John Muir must cringe at the level of true ignorance of our ecosystem/habitat shown by some responses to this thread.I can't imagine being the Wdnr and dealing with this weekly.Anyone can run a BH thru a deer.Some can see the big picture of an ecosystem. I thank John Muir every summer knocking out chunks of the trail bearing his name.I am looking at my WBH renewal statement now. I refused to be a member as long as the DB/rc was associated but I now see Geitz is carrying the torch well. Renewal in the round file.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe."

John Muir 1911

19-May-15
they are pretty pics tho ! (sigh),,

19-May-15
Gietz, I'm going to assume your last post was sarcasm. Because you know it's not as easy as just telling the Feds to log. People that know much more than them have been telling them that for a long time. Unfortunately, this little bird is what it may take for the libs to actually listen.

20-May-15

Geitz's Link
"true ignorance" is argumentum ad hominem;)

Rut, of course there is a sarcastic tone in my post. As you can see by my link, the warbler issue is being addressed and it more than likely is not going involve proper management of all Fed lands. Even if the libs listen to this little bird, the study of migration and nesting areas(which we already know) would take years to prove(what we already know)proper management is key. While these years pass on what we already know, these trees will age and their usefulness will diminish.

IMO, conducting a study which the outcome is to prove what is already known is unnecessary. Like fencing deer in a trillium plot to prove deer eat trillium or putting GPS transmitters on leaves to prove they drop in fall.

The Feds own 4.4% of WI. This is small compared to the other public and private lands. Linking this study to properly managing fed lands is a reach much like the topic of this thread to bow hunting. Nov is proud of his son(and he should be) but take the topic of the thread as it is....about his son.

But you could link the topic to bow hunters by discussing if PR funds were used to fund this study. My opinion would then be as previously stated, the money could have gone to a better cause i.e. education and young forest development.

“It is a popular delusion that the government wastes vast amounts of money through inefficiency and sloth. Enormous effort and elaborate planning are required to waste this much money.”

P.J. O'Rourke 1991

20-May-15

Geitz's Link
MI gets it as far back as 1981.

"Scrub, a major factor dpsm is so low on state/national forest is lack of logging"

The major factor on low DPSM is the over issuance of tags back when deer were managed based on biological concerns of over browse and forest regeneration which the USFS was the primary supporter. USFS contradicts itself when they refuse to properly manage a forest and focus on over browse as the key issue. Properly managing a forest is key to create better habitat which will aid in an increase of DPSM.

20-May-15
"The major factor on low DPSM is the over issuance of tags back when deer were managed based on biological concerns of over browse and forest regeneration which the USFS was the primary supporter. USFS contradicts itself when they refuse to properly manage a forest and focus on over browse as the key issue. Properly managing a forest is key to create better habitat which will aid in an increase of DPSM. "

I gotta agree with ^.

20-May-15
Geitz. +1

21-May-15
So capt, your livelyhood is give and take? Anything threating your charter biz on lake michigan? Quaga mussels? Asian carp? Trust me,bigtime fed $$$$ are trying to protect your little fifedom. Many young ms students that would smoke your iq are all about protecting your livelyhood. Your welcome in spite of your bottomfreeding mentality. Google texas am ga jobs. Mucha dinero thrown to protect yourr charter fifedom. TheDb/ geitz and you deserve a special place in conservation concerns. Your uwm edumacation is rearing its uglyhead. So baffle your charter cronies with bs and thank dnr plantings and grad students who care way more then then you for the waters your boat floats on.

21-May-15
November, it is pitifully apparent when you miss your medication. On top of that, it affects your comprehension. You should use the spell corrector, it will greatly enhance your attempts to appear intelligent.

21-May-15
As I understand it Geitz is not the WBH Director that deals with the Feds, only LL between WBH and State.

So again I ask, what is WBH doing in issues on USFS lands?

21-May-15
Smokey,

I PM'd you the Director who handles this. I'm stretched pretty thin to take up another issue. With your past experiences with the USFS, your knowledge would be an asset to the cause. You understand the situation and possible ways to bring change. As a WBH member, you have every opportunity to help or take the lead in directing WBH to help the cause. As a member, you are WBH too....you are no different than any director. In fact, I know the board would welcome it.

Sometimes you have to put your beverage down, step back and think about what you wrote, Nov.

There is a huge difference in studying migration of a species which is fairly a certain than actually stopping the spread of evasive species. IMO, it would be more beneficial to prevent the spread of these species than to geochip zebra mussels.

I don't know, maybe geochipping these birds is needed but knowing a major problem of their decline is nesting areas, I think it would be better to correct the known problem. IMO, the time and money would be better spent creating jack pines stands. $150 could purchase quite a few trees and recreate the lost habitat. But even if this was done, it would not put a dent in the small 4.4% of Federal lands in WI.

So what have we learned from this topic which is bow hunting related? This study(possibly)will impact management of Fed lands minimally, warbler's migration/nesting habits, appears Nov's has a good kid and warbleros are not a meaty bird.

Although not bowsite material, your thread started out pretty good for you. Of course, there would be some who would call you out on not being bow hunting related but you should have had thick enough skin and ignored it. Instead, you made a feeble attempt to link it to the management of federal lands along with attacking the intelligence and education of bow hunters. This was an unsolicited attack and caused this beat down to occur.

So your topic went from praising your son for geochipping warblers and federal land management to attacking people/orgs, education levels of individuals, mussels, Asian carp, career opportunities in TX and charter fishing. So in an attempt to bring this thread back on topic:

Congrats on your son's opportunity...he appears to be a good, smart kid. Save a Warbler, plant a jack pine. (Hmmm...I should patent that and make a bumper sticker;) )

21-May-15
"Anything threating your charter biz on lake michigan? Quaga mussels? Asian carp?"

Worse than that November. The absence of the biomass from the bottom up brought on by the zebra and quagga mussels. Stocking continues to be slashed. LM has the potential to be the next Lake Huron. The fishing south of Kewaunee last year was piss poor. Expect the same this year. The Feds want the lake brought back to its original state with Lake Trout (gagger). That is why the Lake Trout plants could not be reduced when the DNR(s) decided on Salmon reductions. The Feds ruled there. Asian carp are much adieu over nothing when it comes to LM. They would not thrive there, only in the tributaries.

There is some very nice diversity in this thread.

21-May-15
Good, accurate assessment, happy. I am fortunate in that my livelihood is not dependent on it. I feel bad for the guys who are.

21-May-15
My question is if the little bugger needs logging or vast areas of new growth to survive.......what were the populations before man showed up with the two man saw?

Most of northern WIS and the UP had the largest stand of white pine in the world....not much new growth around there. The southern part of WIS was prairie with oak groves here and there. So that would leave a narrow strip of land between the two for Warbler habitat along with the deer range as tribes would travel from vast distances to hunt the Black River Falls area for venison.

I know for a fact that state land is on a 25 year program with logging planned out for that amount of time. The FEDS play by their rules.

21-May-15
There you go, Lama....thinking outside of the box and I think your on to something.

After reviewing MI DNR site:

"Historically, the jack pine barrens were maintained by naturally occurring wildfires that swept through the region. The jack pine held little value for the lumbermen who came in search of white pine. Once logging activity ended in the 1880's, the continuing forest fires helped increase the range of jack pine, which created more nesting habitat. As a result, the Kirtland's warbler population reached its peak between 1885 and 1900."

Maybe the warbler was populated over the biological carrying capacity since the early 1900's. Once this population boom occurred, maybe we should have managed the warbleros for biological and social concerns with liberal seasons and quotas, establishing low overwinter goals to insure a healthy population;)

21-May-15
Lama, actually large areas were not only burned over there were large areas of storm damage creating age diversity. I was never all big trees.

21-May-15
November, even though I have my doubts you will be able to comprehend, I'll give it a try. Just in case you took your medication.

It is big time dollars that have allowed the Great Lakes to become over run with exotic species. Had the Feds worried more about the health of the lakes as compared to the health of the lobbyists, steps would have been implemented to stop the introduction of exotic invaders.

As far as students "smoking" my IQ, I have a feeling it would be much better for them than the things they do smoke. The bottom-feeders are many of the ones who teach these "smoking" students.

If you choose to reply, use the spell checker. No one here needs to devote hours deciphering whatever you are attempting to say.

22-May-15
Guys, just letting you know that Geitz is STATE liaison and WBH has another Director for working with the Feds. I know Geitz is busy so lets work with the Fed liaison to get them to move on Fed issues.

I have sent emails and letters to WBH and Feds over the years and if I can work with WBH more I will do so; part of the solution. It is not easy to work with the Feds as most of you know.

RGS has sent their message many times over the years when commenting on EAs and the FS choose to ignore the input. Now RGS is moving ahead with petition and maybe soon a lawsuit. I hope the FS acts before it goes to a suit. This thread and post cover two threads but are related.

Study of one species usually benefits many other species.

22-May-15
"Lama, actually large areas were not only burned over there were large areas of storm damage creating age diversity. I was never all big trees."

True Smokey but I am willing to bet not as much older growth now compared to the 1800's. I would bet we have more new growth area's in WIS today.

22-May-15
Capt, so the grenades you just thru were a) i am on meds and b) wildlife biology grad students all smoke dope? Predictable and baseless. Times have changed from the 70's and 80's. Check the incoming act/ sat scores for uw/uwmedicore/um/umichigan now. Either way, baffle your clients trolling for da big fish all summer. I grew up running a 27 foot whaler out of port washington. Mindless/brainless plant/catch/kill. This site will never rise above the kill and see a bigger picture or calling. You, geitz, and the db enjoy your circlejerk.

22-May-15
November, sorry you had to fish from a smaller boat. Anyway, how different are my grenades from yours? "Bottom feeding and little fifedom? Your hypocrisy reeks, or did you simply forget to change your shorts?

23-May-15
First tuna tower ever delivered on the lake in 74, besides ,big boat doesnt buy you class. Throwing bio science ms students in your wake shows your colors. Keep takin without giving back to the enviorment. Great mantra. Your clients must eat that schtick up.enjoy your summer of brainless trolling for greasebuckets.

23-May-15
"brainless trolling for greasebuckets"

That does describe Lake Michigan fishing to a "T". It really is boring stuff. I could only handle a few hours at a time without getting bored. I rarely ever reeled in a fish on my boat because they hook themselves - Who is up next - that is not fishing - that is catching. Most fun is for sure creating the daily program and then adjusting on the fly. And now with the greasers taking over, it is getting worse fun wise. I recently sold my 29' boat. Sticking with the smaller one for Muskies now (100% casting), my true passion. We do take lots of trips locally on Bago for Perch and Eyes but all jigging there. Trolling for Eyes is even more mindless than trolling for Salmon - at least Salmon are a tussle when caught trolling.

Carry on guys. Again, love the switch in venue and the diversity this thread brings.

23-May-15
Hypocrisy exposed, the stench lingers.

23-May-15
I have never seen let alone arrowed a 9oz Warbler Deer. What do the backstraps taste like? Chicken? I have seen a wobbly deer down here in CWD zone but never a warbly. Need to get in the woods more...

23-May-15
The warbleros get even wobblier when toting that band around. Not sure if that makes them harder or easier targets.

25-May-15
Circle j***?....... please keep this civil, Nov. If you can't debate or have thick enough skin, just refrain from posting. You chose the topic, you have had discussion, you're son has been complemented.

Ahhh, Happy...... although I enjoy trolling on the big lake, my fishing passion is Musky. I was telling my 9 yr old yesterday about musky fishing with my dad and showed him some pictures. This morning we set off the shore for walleye and my first fish was a 24" musky on my ultralite. You should have seen his eyes.

Eat perch.....fish musky;)

26-May-15
I'd only hunt them with hounds and have a back up shooter.....nasty little critters

27-May-15
Well stated Geitz on the Musky and Perch. It is a shame the Perch population on Lake Michigan crashed. We still have Bago for those tasty morsels.

27-May-15
I thought musky was the other white meat?

ZING! LOL

31-May-15

happygolucky's embedded Photo
Awesome pic Ronny. Those are some successful Musky anglers. Where on the net did you find that picture to post?

Here is one my son got last September up in Three Lakes at our place there. I was weaned fishing the chain for Esox and my son is a casting addict. He is so dilegent at releasing these majestic fish quickly. I sure taught this kid well. That fish was beat to all heck and obviously has survived a release or two. My son released it fine for someone else to catch (or the indians to spear).

I'm sure the people in your pic enjoyed their fish dinners. My dad was old school and naive and used to keep Muskies too. He went back to the days of gaffing them versus netting them. I was VERY happy when he quit fishing them! He used to get very PO'ed at me when I refused to bring him one to eat. He got plenty of other fish from me to eat. It doesn't matter to me what other people do though as long as it is legal - right Ronny ;).

31-May-15

Awesome Ronny. Was that the little girl's first Musky ever or is she a seasoned vet? Gotta have a better pic of her holding that beauty in the boat. She had to be psyched. Is her Dad getting it mounted for her or was it too little for her? Congrats to her - and the others. Casting or trolling? I'm jealous as I won't be heading up north to chase Skis until my son gets out of school in a week and a half.

Had an awesome dinner tonight of whitefish and burbot from the hard water season from Sturgeon Bay. My son is an addict on the hard water too. I am truly blessed. The pic is my son's biggest eelpout/burbot/lawyer of the season. Man they are awesome to eat - poor man's lobster. I love it when they roam the deep water late ice. Nice addition to catching all the whitefish.

Fishing talk here is fun!

31-May-15
Just asking Ronny if that was the little girl's first Musky? I'd love to see a pic of her holding her catch in the boat. She has to still be so pumped seeing she just caught it yesterday. Tell us more about her trophy fish. How big was it, casting or trolling, etc. I love it when kids are successful especially on the fish as majestic as Muskies. This is good stuff. Curious though, why do you have to hide all the faces on your pics? I post pics of me and my kids without hiding them.

31-May-15

TrapperJack's embedded Photo
TrapperJack's embedded Photo
Ok, who on here was the wise guy???

01-Jun-15
OK, I see "dave" LOL. You have something to hide obviously. Not surprising though.

• Sitka Gear