RutNut@work 19-May-15
dbl lung 19-May-15
razorhead 19-May-15
Turkeyhunter 19-May-15
Turkeyhunter 20-May-15
RutNut@work 20-May-15
10orbetter 20-May-15
19-May-15
The other day I traveled 135 miles on state highway 57 and I-43 and counted a total of 27 dead whitetails.

I make this trip typically a couple times a week and this struck me as out of the norm. Very unusual. I can't recall seeing that many dead deer when the rut is on.

Mass suicide along the eastern shore of Wisconsin?

19-May-15
Same deal in Portage County - and many others in ag regions, esp. central farmland. Spring breakup is happening now with many does ready to pop. Look for even more collisions the next week or two.

19-May-15
The weeks before fawns are born, does are kicking out last years fawns. After the rut, this is the second worst time of year for car-deer accidents.

19-May-15
I figured it might have something to do with fawning but I've never seen carnage on this scale. That's one deer every five miles and only the ones I could see splattered on the roadway or on the shoulder.

Having said that, Ron might be on to something. EAB would certain put a bite on the overpopulated deer numbers and improve the buck hunting.

19-May-15
"EAB would certain put a bite on the overpopulated deer numbers and improve the buck hunting."

Unfortunately the whiners took that tool away from the DNR forever.

19-May-15
"EAB would certain put a bite on the overpopulated deer numbers and improve the buck hunting."

"Unfortunately the whiners took that tool away from the DNR forever."

Two statements, which are very true, that I am hearing more often on WI forums. Where were you guys before the law was passed? I am sure with the right (new)law makers EAB can be brought back with different requirements to use it.

19-May-15
I always thought for those with the heavy populations, EAB was great, however, they got rid of it, why I do not know,,,,,,,,,

I hunt the north, so I am in a different world

19-May-15
"I always thought for those with the heavy populations, EAB was great, however, they got rid of it, why I do not know,,,,,,,,, "

It all starts at the top.

One size, fits all, deer management. Someone who doesn't hunt thinks that deer are distributed uniformly across the Wisconsin landscape.

20-May-15
Counted 13 today on the same stretch. What a difference a work day makes over a Sunday.

20-May-15
If the DNR had not overused and abused EAB, we would still have it available today.

20-May-15
Perfect timing for this thread. Does anyone remember the Memeorial Weekend account in the Forest County Republican of the doe that was struck by a vehicle back in the early 80's with 5 fawns in her? I believe it was hit near Wabeno or, was it just an urban legend? In this case a backwoods legend. I will try googling it.

• Sitka Gear