ACU bowhunter 19-May-15
razorhead 19-May-15
Bigwoods 19-May-15
Turkeyhunter 19-May-15
huntperch 19-May-15
Naz 19-May-15
Duke 19-May-15
19-May-15
So my Dad got his first Tom last Saturday, it was a very nice fully mature and large bird 10" beard and nice spurs so hes getting it mounted. Just picked up the whole skinned out bird today from the taxidermist, which made me think. I have never cooked or seen anyone cook a whole skinless turkey, breasts sure but the a whole bird. My question is how best to cook it? Can I smoke it like this? Fry it? Grill it? Whats the best way to go about it?

Thanks for the tips.

19-May-15
My wife buys chicken skins from the butcher, covers the meat, puts in a roasting bag, in the oven, its juicy and excellent

19-May-15
I would chop it up and use a crockpot. It's the only way I cook them anymore

19-May-15
Cut it up into it's component parts - breast, legs and thighs and back.

I would brine and smoke the breast halves. Or cut the breast into smaller pieces for pan searing or making casseroles. Save the legs and thighs for a low and slow braise with root vegetables. Cook that back along with some root veggies all day long in a stock pot for making a rich stock. Freeze the stock in ice cube trays. Bag the cubes and add one or two to future recipes.

19-May-15
Enjoy some breast meat fresh before freezing best turkey you'll ever have!

19-May-15
Marinade/season/brown small cuts of turkey and Crock Pot it with stewed tomatoes, a favorite "cream of" soup and your preference on veggies, then after slow-cooking soak up the hot water with rice ..... awesome stuff!

19-May-15
Another great method is cooking it in a bag at approx. 350 degrees. Just make sure to add a little water or beer (I like an apple flavored beer) to help keep the moisture level acceptable. Use a meat thermometer and get that bad boy out the second you get 180 degree readings from the thigh. I also like to brush mine with butter infused olive oil before starting the bake.

• Sitka Gear