bow shot 24-Jul-15
bow shot 24-Jul-15
Wapiti Chaser 07-Aug-15
deerman406 15-Aug-15
Trial153 15-Aug-15
osageghost 16-Aug-15
20-May-15

Chronic's Link
So....NYS DEC wants to make the first 15 days of bowseason for a bunch of WMUs ANTLERLESS ONLY.

Pray you aren't on that list of WMUs.

What a joke. The first week of October is my favorite time to hunt for a buck, best odds in my opinion. The best move the DEC ever made for southern tier bowhunters was to open the season on October 1st, now might as well take it back.

How about they stop the preference point/lottery BULLSH*T if they want to increase the antlerless take. Maybe increase antlerless permits in appropriate areas, and stop changing for the darn things. Stop making it a discouraging process for hunters to get the permits in the first place, stop charging for the sportsman population to FIX the problem, and we will. We pay enough for the privilege to hunt as it is....

...But do not tell us we can't shoot a buck for 15 days, but CAN hunt does. That's like holding a big juicy bone in front of a dogs nose for 15 days, then giving him a single piece of dog food.

I hate the people that run this state. I hate them

20-May-15
i can't comment on any WMUs except for Long Island, but in the case of Long Island this is just silly. most of the hunters i know hunt in extremely suburban areas where the bucks are basically nocturnal all year except for the rut anyway.

what they need to do is make more hunting opportunities available. they made steps in the right direction by reducing the distance a bow hunter has to be from a house, but there are still a lot of wooded areas - public and private - that are closed to hunting. the public ones should be easy to open up. the private ones are obviously more tricky, but there should be some incentive system in place to get people to open their lands... in alot of cases it is probably as easy as an insurance waiver so landowners aren't afraid of getting sued if a hunter falls out of a tree or whatever.

21-May-15
Seems like there would be a better way than a penalty for archers to get the job done (doe only season during first 15 days of archery, in selected DMUs.) First, many bowhunters that want to shoot a buck will simply hunt someplace else in the first two weeks. So the plan actually hurts the doe harvest (fewer archers.) Secondly, one consideration of a law should be that it is not easily broken...there would be too much temptation to shoot a buck and write another DMU on the tag. One suggestion that would be better than the restrictive proposal would be if the DEC really wants to lower the doe population, instead of penalizing hunters, do the opposite. Reward us. Give those of us who tag a doe in the selected DMUS an extra doe permit if we take a doe there...heck, give us two!

21-May-15
A major thing I have not seen mentioned that I observe is that none of the guys I talk hunting with even want a doe in the early season. There is little interest in antlerless deer until its consistently colder......

21-May-15
interesting SJJ - personally, i usually put a doe in the freezer opening weekend or second weekend. this is on land on LI where success rate is very high for does. once i get one in the freezer i can be more selective about if i want to spend my time fishing, sleeping in, or doing other stuff... although i still find time to watch the sun rise from the stand most weekends.

22-May-15
It's ridiculous. We already have unlimited doe tags in 3S. We used to get 4 either sex tags when we filled our first 4 doe tags. It ended up with lots of little bucks being killed. The state finally squashed it. Now we get 2 bucks and unlimited does. With this plan lots of guys will tag bucks in other WMU's or with CT tags. There is no incentive to keep shooting does if you have to do all the work just to donate it. I know I can't use more than 6 deer a year and working your butt off for donated deer can get old. I'd rather see earn a buck if they want to increase doe harvest. Kill a doe, get your either sex archery tag. It's better than going 15 days without a buck tag. Most years I tag a doe or 2 in the first couple of days. Same as lots of guys here. Most guys shoot a few does early, hold off during the rut and then tag a few more does late season.

22-May-15
Just a note, how many here are doing public comments to NYSDEC or are going to open NYSDEC meeting!

22-May-15
I will be leaving comments for sure. Not sure if I can make a meeting

23-May-15
Typical NYS DEC abortion.

Tags are already abundant. The hunters that have access and hunt are filling them, odds are they fill all they want and giving more tags won't do any good.

Take Suffolk county for example. Tags are a dime a dozen but access is complex, over regulated and a pain in the ass.

Here's a novel idea for the DEC. Find ways to open access to areas in these units that are not getting hunted, open up line of communication with land owners and figure out way to increase the pool of tag holders that have ACESS. Forget about making increasingly complex regulations and seasons. Fix the issue by making it more simple and go to the heart of the problem.

26-May-15
This is one of the worst proposals NYS DEC has ever come up with. I believe that it could actually lower doe take as fewer hunters will be in the woods in late season if they don't have the possibility of taking a buck.Many does get taken as a target of opportunity by the more casual hunters who are likely to stay home with no last chance to fill their tags. Illegal,unreported buck take could possibly go up too as some won't be willing to pass on a trophy buck that comes by early season. How does denying the hunter the chance to take an early season trophy give him an incentive to shoot more does ? DEC needs a carrot not a stick to increase the doe take. Increase access to areas where the landowners are complaining and lengthen the late season . Don't restrict hunter opportunities in a time when participation is already decreasing and expect a postive increase in deer take.

26-May-15
This is just step #2 of the DEC's plan to implement a muzzleloader into the tranquility of the archery seasons. Step #1 was to issue extra DMP's into certain WMU's. That failed, to no one's great surprise. It was designed to fail. As, according to the DEC's harvest data, bowhunters kill only 15% of all the deer. So why would you expect a different result, if you consider bowhunters to be not effective at killing deer? This next step, is too, designed to fail. Again, if we only kill 15% of the total, how is this going to change things? Their (DEC) next step is to implement an MZ into certain WMU's first, then expand it across the State. PENN STATE did a radio collared study on the effect of firearms on deer. What they found is that when the guns start going off, the bucks and the does don't just lay low, they go far, far away. Deer have been tracked to places that they never previously went to in the prior 10 months of the study. This is the entity that we have been dealing with for over a decade. We fought them in 2005, and again in 2012 when they tried to place an MZ into the archery season. Now, they are foregoing all public meetings, and just doing it themselves. Been trying for years to get folks involved, but the DEC keeps dividing and conquering. NYB has been saying this for years now, but we're the bad guys.

26-May-15
Was just at a NYSDEC meeting any VERY LITTLE COMMENTS

28-May-15
Pat, this has nothing to do with sound scientific research, or a management plan based upon facts. This is just another way to divide the hunting community and leave the bowhunters as the bad guys because we are the ones who will complain about it. They will use this as a stepping stone to expand it to other WMU's, and then eventually to a muzzleloader in all archery seasons. For whatever reason, they (the DEC) think this is a good idea. Not to beat a dead horse, but bowhunting participation has been on a steady incline where other avenues have been declining. They should be embracing the bowhunters and not punishing them.

28-May-15
NY SUXS

29-May-15
NY sucks for sure, no reason to stay in this state

30-May-15
This is old news for members of New York Bowhunters. We know the DEC won't stop pushing their crazy ideas as long as bowhunters in this state don't step up to join organizations and get involved in protecting the archery season. The DEC has planned to introduce a muzzleloading season for years. I once asked the Director of Fish and Wildlife during a meeting in Albany, why is it always the archery season for new changes, why not the gun season. Her answer was, " We don't want to anger the gun hunters".... So, we have over two hundred thousand bowhunters in NY and how many of you meet with your Legislator, make a phone call, or even send an e-mail regarding bowhunting issues? Not many, it's time to take a stand or watch as the DEC continues to cut up the archery we all love.

30-May-15
NYB just sent out an alert to all of our membership. It takes less than one minute to send a message to Albany, the Governor, the EnCon Chairmen, and the DEC.

30-May-15
As I stated that there has been VERY little response to this proposal to NYS DEC It seem that there is a large amount of BS on this sight It should be ADDRESS to NYS DEC G-man and Al Dente Laptop thanks for your input Yes NYB has gone fare to stop this and it seems as stated we bow hunters are the target

09-Jun-15
Yup guys will complain but do nothing the DEC knows that and will do whatever they want. Too bad even a 1/4 of the guys that hunt with a bow won't get off their buts and make there options known to the people that matter. Guess it doesn't matter enough to them .

10-Jun-15
took me less that 10 minute to send the msg to the guys in charge, but will they hear us... I have gone to meeting with the DEC and they at the meeting seem to just give lip serve and then make the changes anyway..

10-Jun-15
"DEC and they at the meeting seem to just give lip serve and then make the changes anyway.. "...exactly !!, and I think that's why most people will not even bother to voice their opinions, not that it really matters to some, they will still shoot what and when they want, buck,,doe,tag or no tag

12-Jun-15
Any plans on allowing the X-bow throughout the entire archery season? At this point they minds well just say we can use c-4 or grenades.

12-Jun-15
Just a note: where would NY be if there was NO DEC Please enlighten us

15-Jun-15
Right above PA & NJ snuggled next to VT,CT,& MA oh and just below Canada....."Eh"

20-Jun-15
The upper echelon of the DEC are political appointees by the Governor, who by the way, in case you didn't know is as anti-firearm as they come. Also, if you are unaware of it, the DEC has decided to not support the National Hunting and Fishing Day in Region 8 this year, thus ending it. Another feather in their cap. Most likely, another part of their agenda, where they start out small, then expand into other areas, so I would guess that they will undoubtedly stop their support of NHFD in other Regions in years to come as well. Again, the DEC is not the friend to the hunting and fishing community that SOOOOO many think they are. But, stay misinformed, misled, and uneducated about the issues that you claim are important to you. Remain a Monday morning QB.

24-Jul-15
Perfectly stated, 'Dente

Q: "Why are they doing this???

A: There must be a $ involved… has to be.

This is NY after all..

At lease some of our crooked "statesmen" are being brought to court (Dean Skelos, Safe Act pusher RINO)

And of course our evil news media says next to nothing about it.

Be sure to listen to Bill Nojay's show (Roshester area Assemblyman) every day if you are able. WHAM (1180 AM) out of Rochester. Top notch man, true statesman. You'll hear what's REALLY going on in Albany (brick-wallbany)

24-Jul-15

bow shot's Link
Bill Nojay's show on-line:

24-Jul-15
LOL!!! you have GOT to listen to the inter to one of the shows, it is just… heart warming!!!!!!!

07-Aug-15
It's done check the DEC website. Next year even more changes coming that could really change bow hunting in NY . Get educated ! Too bad 99 percent of people don't have a clue or won't lift a finger to stand up for what they love .

15-Aug-15
I know it is money when it comes to crossbow hunting. They look at national numbers and see how archery sales go up when crossbows are allowed. They also get pressure plus contributions from the major crossbow manufacturers as well. I have 132 acres in a bow only area and I lose 3 weeks of buck season this year. What really gets me, was they(DEC)said opening the season early would give bow hunters an opportunity to hunt and pattern bucks on a feeding pattern, well thats out the window. I also have killed 2 of my best bucks during that last week they give us bowhunters. Also crossbows are allowed from Nov. 7th. til gun season, that is garbage too but as I said in another post, it will be open to all archery seasons by next year. I am just hoping they keep it out of the bow only areas. I have called and written but as has been said they do not even bother listening anymore!! They just do what they want! NY is BS, that is why I have hunted the rut out of state the last 4 years. Kansas here I come!! Shawn

15-Aug-15
Sorry guys I am done fighting NY. I sold most of the property already, i am hunting over 4 weeks every year ....all out of state and all better places then NY.. There is only so many hours in a day, days in a year and years in my life.....I am not banging my head against the brick wall that is NY. It's not worth it.

16-Aug-15
"I have called and written but as has been said they do not even bother listening anymore!! They just do what they want! NY is BS"...you got that right Shawn...that's why I said in another thread that some guys will just go ahead and shoot what they want, when they want, regardless what dec says

• Sitka Gear