Brotsky 22-May-15
leftee 22-May-15
DR 03-Jun-15
leftee 06-Jun-15
Brotsky 08-Jun-15
DR 13-Jun-15
pkaspot 06-Jul-15
21-May-15

South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks The South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks’ Commission proposals for the East and West River deer seasons contain two potential changes. We want to ensure you are aware of them and have an opportunity to provide feedback on them.

The Commission proposed the removal of the nine day antlerless season for both East and West River deer hunting seasons.

The Commission also proposed to change the season dates for Corson, Dewey and Ziebach Counties to align with the 2015 West River deer hunting season.

This information was first released on May 11 and the entire press release package can be viewed here: http://gfp.sd.gov/news/news/may/11.aspx.

The Commission will finalize this proposal at their June 4-5, 2015, meeting at the Ramkota RiverCenter in Pierre. Written comments can be sent to [email protected]. To be part of the official public record, comments must be received by 12 p.m. on June 4. Please include your full name along with the city and state of residence. If you would like to comment in person, the public hearing will be held June 4, at 2 p.m. CDT at the Ramkota RiverCenter in Pierre.

22-May-15
Amen, that season has needed to go for a long time.

22-May-15
Yup.

03-Jun-15
That's progress. Would like to see us go back to a 9 day regular firearm season instead of the 16 day season.

06-Jun-15
Damn,looks like they retained the late xtra 9 day rifle season east river. What a bunch of stupid BS.

08-Jun-15
Agreed leftee, I was VERY disappointed when I saw this. I guess it doesn't impact my county as there are no antlerless tags but it still stinks overall. If you can't get a doe with a rifle in 16 days then maybe the grocery store is more your deal.

13-Jun-15
Numbers were high and there may have been the need for the reduction a decade back. I certainly took a lot of does then too. Didn't shoot but one this past year by my cousins son. We need to reverse course in the areas where we've taken such a hit in the Eastern part of the state as well as EHD areas in the west. I've long detested the January season and certainly would like to see the extended rifle season closed post either sex in December too. Just keep writing those e-mails and making the calls to the board members.

06-Jul-15
The East River deer season does need to revert to opening the weekend after Thanksgiving and run for the nine days. It was changed due to 1 year that the season coincided with a Thanksgiving blizzard that prevented firearm hunters from getting out and meeting the quotas in the Northeastern counties. When proposals to change the dates back to the traditional dates were brought up at Commission Meetings that I attended, the response from the Department was always the same and was based on the chance of weather preventing them from reaching their goals. In the past 10 years, I can only remember 1 time during the East River deer season has been affected by weather and that was during the second week, in which by my observations in Brule County a lot of people who haven't filled their tags opening weekend don't hunt anyway.

• Sitka Gear