10orbetter 02-Jun-15
Naz 02-Jun-15
Pasquinell 02-Jun-15
Mike F 03-Jun-15
10orbetter 03-Jun-15
Bloodtrail 03-Jun-15
28-May-15

Novemberforever's Link
Once again the 12 "no doe tag" counties will be subject to "youth, military and disabled" doe tags while gun party hunting ensures these tags will be filled. 3-5k antlerless will be taken in the no doe counties again. If the DNR were serious about building the herd in these counties they would not allow any antlerless taken for any reason.

28-May-15
Subjected?? That's a little dramatic.

I just don't think that many youth tags got filled by party hunters. Of the 3 up north camps I know who had youth tags, 2 were filled before the 9 day, and one was filled during ML. All by the tag holder.

Maybe I'm naive, or maybe I run in the "wrong" crowd.......I can't imagine filling the only doe tag in camp when it belongs to a youth. Who does tat?

When I was 12, the party permit was mine and it took me 5 days to fill it. With a huge old doe. Happiest hunter on the planet ! Wouldn't have had that chance if one of my uncles had pulled the trigger.

28-May-15
Do you know the numbers of antlerless that were shot in these antlerless counties last year?

28-May-15

Geitz's Link
The DNR's job is to issue tags per state laws. Appears this is being address in the legislature regarding the group bagging use of youth antlerless tags.

I agree with removing group hunting from youth antlerless tags.

You guys can fight over removing opportunities for youth, handicap and military hunters.

IMO, the small amount of antlerless taken(after the group bagging deal) is insignificant. The decision to pull the trigger is still up to the youth, handicap or military hunter...in which the mentor is always the influence for the youth hunter. Personally, I don't like the idea of taking away that opportunity for those three groups.

28-May-15
Zinger, In these 12 counties 3,613 antlerless were harvested in 2014. If 2,000 of those were bred doe who birthed just 1 fawn about now there would be 5600 more deer vertical today. Spread over 12 counties it doesn't seem like a big deal but carry those same 5,600 out 1 more year(more fawns) and that number becomes significant. It's a simple decision by the Dnr to trade 3600 antlerless for the military, disabled, and youth vs. the majority of hunters.

28-May-15
Nov. Sadly they won't do that. Just being fair but, they spend too much time trying to please everyone instead of doing what is right. What is right, is to shut down the harvest of antlerless in the Northern zone for 3 to 5 years.

28-May-15
".in which the mentor is always the influence for the youth hunter." Aren't youth antlerless tags issued every year until they turn 18? Who is mentoring the 12-17 year olds with a free antlerless youth tag and hunter safety cert? They fall under the ol party hunting within hearing/visual distance rule. I would have no issue if they simply stopped party hunting of youth,military,disabled antlerless tags.This bill doesn't include disabled or military.

28-May-15
AB 243 ("youth model .243" - what a coincidence) won't stop those who'll fill tags at any cost, esp. with no mandatory registration.

The doe/fawn kill up north last year on those tags was about one per four square miles, hardly significant in the grand scheme of things. One of my friends in a buck-only county has well-managed private land habitat, and he's already complaining that he can't target baldies again this year. He estimates that about 90 percent of his young maples were destroyed by deer in the past year. This guy does not feed or plant food plots. He just has a well-managed forest that needs deer trimmed. Once again, it boils down to habitat. One size county deer management does not fit all. Guess he needs some youth hunters to help out!

28-May-15
"One size county deer management does not fit all."

Exactly what Dmap was designed for.He can signup and achieve his goals.

28-May-15
let the disabled and kids shoot a doe for the table- its a small number in the scope of things.

28-May-15
Here's how I look at it. Regardless of where you hunt the hunter on any given property is the steward of that land and surrounding lands. If you are a public land hunter in the northern part of the state you owe it to yourself and those around you to manage the herd properly within the boundaries of the law. If you feel that it is right to harvest antlerless deer and it's legal; go ahead and do it.

But, if this is what is causing the lack of deer in the northwoods don't complain that you aren't seeing any deer.

We can complain all year long on the causes of what is the reason behind the lack of deer on this forum, but it won't do any good unless you act upon that problem. Pick up the phone, use you emails to your elected officials, make your voice be heard. I am thinking very few if any of our elected officials are reading these posts here.

I have no problem with disabled people shooting any legal animal anywhere it is legal. I have a problem with any youth tags being filled by party hunting. Actually, I have a problem with all party hunting. But hey, that's my opinion, and I am entitled to it.

28-May-15
Mike F - I feel the same way- its a real dirt ball move to fill some kids tag while party hunting- or anyone tags for that matter. This should not be allowed and its just wrong. If they cant fill it, then the tag should go un used. This has shaped the poor mentality of group hunting and has been abused for years as an excuse to keep hunting for the greedy hunters who cant pass anything, and have to kill, but want to keep filling tags and push the limits of the law-usually with no one around in talking range as the law states- horrible to enforce and it should be changed.

28-May-15
Group bagging sucks for these "youth" tags. But really group bagging sucks period. It's just game hogs that need to go out and shoot every deer they can.

28-May-15
Group bagging sucks, period! Unfortunately, I think it is something that hunters asked and lobbied for. I don't understand it and I don't see any value in it.

28-May-15
The previous 4 posts are spot on. Group bagging does suck. I might be in the minority on this one but to me, no antlerless deer should mean no antlerless deer. We coddle the kids nowadays way too much. Teaching them the big picture should be important making their next kill even that much more special.

28-May-15
In a perfect world, all gun deer hunters would be in great shape, have a great spot and be able to shoot their own deer. In farm country, where deer are typically overabundant, group hunting during the gun season is common and it keeps hunters afield. I believe its genesis goes back to the party permit, when it was common (though illegal) for someone other than the tag holder to fill the tag if they got the opportunity later in the season. I'd have no problem if it weren't legal, but many hunters who otherwise might go without venison have taken advantage of the law. I prefer to shoot my own deer. Some guys don't care who pulls the trigger after opening weekend as long as they get one for the Crock Pot, frying pan and sausage maker. The folks who aren't as passionate at minimum supply some extra license funds and economic impact as well as help in necessary herd control efforts in ag country.

28-May-15
Oh no happy you done it now!!!! Anybody have a 20 on Bloodtrail? Come in Bloodtrail... you got yer ears on? They are talking about youths...

IMO - Disabled veterans should have a free ticket to everything if they so desire to use it.

28-May-15
Disabled and military are 2 seperate categories.

28-May-15
Naz-

If you fill your tags and want to keep hunting go out and buy more antlerless tags and fill them. With the liberal tags in the farmland zones there is no reason to be out in the woods without a tag issued in you own name. If it's all about the $12 bonus tag, I don't believe that the $12 is going to make or break anyone if they save up the money and use it specifically for those deer tags.

If you can't afford the $12 for an extra tag work a little harder and save a little more over the year so you can have some venison for the crock pot.

I have no problem with hunters shooting a deer, using their OWN tag and sharing in the bounty. That's what it's all about. We give a lot of venison away to those who can use it, but aren't as lucky or as fortunate when it comes to harvesting deer. Yes, we have it good, but it comes with a price. Hard work, sweat equity and a lot of hard earned money make the land we have our hunting paradise. That's what we do, it's who we are and how we like to spend our time and money.

As far as Vets and disabled hunters, yes they are 2 separate categories(but a person could fall into both categories) and I believe that they should be issued tags if they so desire to use it. But additional tags would cost the same for everyone across the board, $12 each.

29-May-15
Naz, as mike stated dont conflate farmland with northern. Ask northern resort owners how november biz is. How many meat guys buy da boy a ute tag in the north? Conservation? Thats a joke based on the rube comments posted here. Da kill trumps any higher calling of conservation always.

29-May-15
Mike F, you continue to knock it out of the park. You should not be able to shoot a deer without your own tag. Don't want to be done early, don't shoot.

29-May-15
"I have no problem with hunters shooting a deer, using their OWN tag and sharing in the bounty. That's what it's all about. We give a lot of venison away to those who can use it, but aren't as lucky or as fortunate when it comes to harvesting deer."

Not to pick at you, Mike, but is that basically group bagging? What really is the difference if I purchase 3 antlerless tags, fill them and give the deer away or if I fill another hunters tag as long as I'm group hunting following the laws?

Also, deer hunting has different meaning to different people. Some hunters are happy waiting 10 yrs for the 200" buck while others only care about a tasty deer for the freezer. Some want a secluded area to call their own while others like the hunting together on deer drives.

Sorry to bring it up but there are a large group of hunters that do deer drives. To them, it is the way they like to hunt and is a large part of group bagging.

In a perfect world, everyone would hunt like YOU(not point at you, Mike). Even with the god forsaken methods of group bagging, deer drives, baiting, Mathews shooters, etc.... we still average a success rate of about 33%. In the short term, if we removed these methods, it might be great. Long term, not so much. In the long term, it will lead to additional loss of hunters and over population. Sorry, but the way you hunt might not be viewed as great as you think by others. Party hunters may think you are the rich jackwagon that hoards all the deer.

I'm fine with any method a hunter chooses as long as that method follows the law. Although group bagging of a youth tag might not have been "illegal" per se, it was definitely outside the scope of the tag being issued. It was recognized and is being addressed by the legislature.

I understand numbers in the north are very low. This didn't happen over one harsh winter, it took many years to accomplish. If you asked(I have) a prior deer biologist, which some call Mr Whitetail, deer should be managed to 6-8 DPSM in the north woods and that probably what you have now. But the population will rebound.

IMO, a few thousand antlerless shot legally by youth, handicapped and military would be peanuts compared to what the 150K+ hunters in the area could do. How many of those hunters are out shooting coyote, fight for wolf harvests or actually improving the habitat?

It's ironic how we care more about what others are doing rather than what we could be doing.

29-May-15
Mike, believe me, I do buy additional tags (and fill them) many years when the numbers are high in my hunt areas. But I also have filled many tags for others by being in the right place at the right time, and only after they asked me to shoot if the opportunity presented itself during a planned push.

November, agree the north and ag lands are two different worlds. Am not saying they're not. Am saying that without group bagging in ag country, a lot fewer deer would be killed, and that's not a good thing in overpopulated sections.

29-May-15
What the heck, doe permits being issued for Washburn county? Not supported by what we saw where we hunted there last year. At least there will only be 825 permits for public land.

29-May-15
Naz, agreed group bagging helps reduce herd size in areas that need it. The north zone does not need herd reduction. Is giving a free youth antlerless tag good statewide every year till 18 years old really necessary? So I could buy a youth deer license for either $7 or $20 every year for every kid of mine that comes with a free statewide antlerless tag where group gun bagging is legal? 24,000 guys last year dropped out and gave up mainly due to lack of deer in the north.

29-May-15
Geitz, I gotta disagree with the comment that giving away some venison is the same as group bagging. Killed a deer with my tag, myself, and shared the bounty with friends or family. That is not group bagging on any level.

29-May-15
Sharing is one thing, giving away an entire deer is another. What is the difference if I shoot one with an extra tag and give it away or shoot one for the same person and using his tag?

29-May-15
"The diff Geitz is the end result is a dead, tagged deer. Money for the state, food for the end user and happy hunters and................ Your right, there is no difference. "

But there is a difference once your talking about a buck. Then group bagging allows the opportunity for someone to shoot "my buck" after he shoots his then uses his buddy's tag on it;) All legal but stings the same.

People should just be honest. It's not about group bagging doe...or special season youth hunt doe harvest....or other special hunt doe harvest.... crossbow doe kills.....state wide rifle vs. shotgun doe kills... or doe shot over bait piles/deer driving doe kills, etc... It's the additional opportunity for someone else shooting "my buck". This is the main reason for all the fuss.

Personally, I believe an individual who shoot one or multiple deer and donates them to a food pantry is not a true hunter. He/she enjoys the sport of killing for no reason than the kill.

We have most of these laws for decades and as Naz always states.....WI is #1 in record book bucks. It just might not be your name in the book.

Leave the youth, disabled and military out of your complaints.

29-May-15
"Sharing is one thing, giving away an entire deer is another. What is the difference if I shoot one with an extra tag and give it away or shoot one for the same person and using his tag? "

Thing is, Mike F did not say he gave the entire deer away. He said "We give a lot of venison away to those who can use it, but aren't as lucky or as fortunate when it comes to harvesting deer". That is as much group bagging as me having a party at my house serving my guests venison stew, chili, and sausage.

"Personally, I believe an individual who shoot one or multiple deer and donates them to a food pantry is not a true hunter."

Yikes on that comment although I have never donated a whole deer. I have fished out of my own boats on Lake Michigan since 1985. I enjoyed the setup and seeing others catch fish. I hate the taste of Salmon and therefore donated everyone I have kept to the local food pantry, friends, relatives, and neighbors. Does that mean I am not a true fisherman? Now there is the guy that loves to bowhunt. He scouts, practices, etc, but he just doesn't care for the taste of venison. Does that mean he should never hunt deer and if he does kill one he's not a true hunter? What about those who kill a bobcat or a wolf just to mount it? They are not true hunters because they did not consume what they killed? Please show me the definition of true hunter so everyone can know where they stand.

29-May-15

Naz 's Link
You beat me too it Happy. Not a true hunter because you willingly choose to share your harvest? One of the most incredibly naive comments of the year. I happen to love both salmon and venison, and still share the bounty. There are plenty of pockets where multiple antlerless deer should be taken out each year to improve overall quality. Sometimes I donate for that reason. It just feels good to bring one in — whether it's the first deer of the year, or the last. Not everyone gets it, and that's fine. But I'd encourage any of you on the fence to check these sites out.

http://www.fhfh.org

http://www.huntforthehungry.com

29-May-15
"People should just be honest. It's not about group bagging doe...or special season youth hunt doe harvest....or other special hunt doe harvest.... crossbow doe kills.....state wide rifle vs. shotgun doe kills... or doe shot over bait piles/deer driving doe kills, etc... It's the additional opportunity for someone else shooting "my buck". This is the main reason for all the fuss."

No different than the game hog, oops group hunters using the excuse that it keeps them out hunting. What they really should say, is it keeps them out buck hunting. If they truly wanted to do it to keep hunting, make it antlerless only. Then you would see a huge drop in group slaughtering.

29-May-15
I wonder how many donation heroes there would be if you had to completely process the deer before donating??? Skin, cut up, bag or wrap... I bet you guys wouldn't donate so much then.

Give them the money you spend on the tag or more instead.

Wounded Vets - free ride/no cost deer tags

Military - reduced price deer tags

Youth - no way

Disabled - Nothing against truly disabled people. But it is a gray area...had a lot of "disabled" people buying crossbow at Gander when I worked there that joked about how they got the disability passed. They was nothing wrong with them.

29-May-15

29-May-15
Pasq, you said basically the same thing last year. The money we spend on the tag, gas, ammo, etc. might buy someone a bottle of liquor. The deer we donate provides about 200 quarter-pounders.

29-May-15
I know I did Naz but every time someone brings up the donations I chuckle. Pulling the trigger is easy.

"Man I don't want to cut up another deer but I should cause it has been hanging for awhile is some warm weather" ... "I know, I will donate"...

30-May-15
I agree, group hunting is for the birds. I am of the type who wants to shoot his own deer. I always have let people know this when I have hunting with a group. I have heard of heated arguments over tagging group shot deer. I have also heard of groups shooting to many deer for the amount of tags the group had. The are a problem no matter how you twist them.

30-May-15
I hunt solo now for the most part. However in my younger days, in my late 20's and early 30', I group hunted with 6 really good deer hunters....

We had one rule, each of us tagged only the deer, we would shoot. We were serious buck hunters, and Bayfield Co around Star Lake was our grounds.

We started out a 5am, and we cut country all day, never worried about where we would end up, we just tracked and hunted all day......

We were in such fine tune with each other, even as hours went by, we would continue to keep tabs on each other, no radios, no cell phones back than, just knowing the land.....

I know that this might be foreign to someone like Novemberforever, but hunters actually hunted like this in one time in our history........

We shot some nice bucks, and I mean some nice bucks

Nothing wrong with party hunting, just depends on how it is done, and many do it with high ethics.....

I know a few young man, that now track all day in the vast expanse of the Ottawa National Forest and the Sylvania Wilderness area, and they get one nice buck a year......

Not everyone hunts on a stand, or on a farm, or over bait, there are still some trackers left, and its all good..............

30-May-15
Totally off base Pasq. Does it happen in CWD land? Maybe, I don't know. Don't hunt there. But I can tell you when I sign my name to the donation book, they got a top-quality, well-cared for whitetail carcass. Maybe it's the upbringing. Was always taught unselfishness; serving others. Some maybe aren't so lucky in their upbringing.

Razor, would love to have something close to home where I could go out and track for miles. The romance of the big woods country is appealing. That "go where you want" is what I enjoyed most when I hunted Montana, Wyoming and Arizona decades ago.

30-May-15
Naz as crazy as it sounds Montana is not the ideal place to do this, lots of land owners, etc there now......

Northern Minnesota, Ontario, WUP, and some areas in Wis is the place for it

I have hunted all of it,

I can tell you less and less hunters in the north, and during ML season, you can track all day, in many areas of Forest and Florence Co

31-May-15
Thanks Razor, I believe it, all the rich seem to want a piece of Montana today. Still looks to be some pretty large sections though in mountain country where one could roam (with pepper spray and a heavy sidearm, of course!).

01-Jun-15
Just got my Patron Press-Patron Bonus Antlerless tag sales Northern zones August 17th! WTF?

Statewide Dec.4 Antlerless hunt, again WTF?

01-Jun-15
No bonus will be available in 11 northern, one central forest and one SE unit, down from 19 buck-only last year. CDACs made the recommendations.

01-Jun-15
"down from 19 buck-only last year."

The money is much more important to some than the welfare of the herd.

01-Jun-15
Naz, with all respect, that is not what says in the Patron Press for Patron holders. I would not use a doe tag even if I do have one for North of 64.

01-Jun-15
Rut, CDAC (local committees made up largely of hunters) made the recommendations, not the DNR. Are you saying the locals wanted the money for business or ?

10, no bonus sales in the 13 counties and only use of antlerless by youth, disabled or vets (and legislature should have a rule in place to stop the group hunting loophole for the youth tags). After that, it's education. But like many here know, there are some properties up north that could use a little thinning. Deer aren't spread equally and never will be.

01-Jun-15
I have a CP license what is a Patron Press?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

01-Jun-15
naz, yes I was implying that some caved to the pressure from local business and uninformed or uncaring hunters.

02-Jun-15
Been away for a bit, but here's my in depth take on group bagging.

2 hunters, Bob and Jim go to the woods with 1 unused buck tag. Bob has already tagged out. Jim says, "If you see a decent buck go ahead and shoot it. I need to work the rest of the season and would like to have some venison in the freezer."

Bob see's a nice buck shoots it. Jim walks over, validates his tag, tags it, they field dress it and take it to Jim's home.

That is a simple, straight forward definition of group bagging.

Now, what we do is totally different. We all fill our own tags. All of the deer are butchered wrapped and frozen by us. After the end of the season we take some of the venison and deliver it to those who enjoy it, but are not able to hunt any more.

Do we give the entire deer away? No. I have been asked but I won't do that. If an able bodied person who can physically get out into the woods and hunt wants a deer, go out and purchase a license and all of the equipment needed to do so. I am not into giving out handouts. Just a little help to those who we believe deserve help.

The one person that comes to mind is our Pastor at church. Early last fall he fell while setting up his stand. He was not able to go out and hunt because of a broken shoulder. We took a grocery bag over and the family truly enjoyed it.

Do I agree with dropping off deer at a processor to be processed and donated to the local food pantry. No, I do not. I have spent time working at a local food pantry and I believe the people that need the food the most aren't the one's that show up on a regular basis. The ones that do are the lazy lowlife people that we all know about. The one's that really could use a hand up are too embarrassed of proud to ask for help.

Just my 2 cents...

02-Jun-15
"Do I agree with dropping off deer at a processor to be processed and donated to the local food pantry. No, I do not"

Careful Mike, you might earn a Naz "One of the most incredibly naïve comments of the year" awards. Then again, you said it so it probably is understandable and appropriate for you to have your own opinion. Several on here chose to complain about RC consistently for attacking others yet they search out things to attack on a few.

But unlike you, I'm not entitled to an opinion. If I were able to have an opinion, I would agree with you on the way you donate your extra venison.

IMO(if I was allowed to have one), I do not like an individual who purchases extra tags, goes out and fills them then donating the deer. Except in extreme over populated area, my reasoning is this:

If a hunter harvest a buck for trophy reasons, capes it out and donates the venison because he doesn't like it....he is a trophy hunter and I really don't have a problem. They are only a few hunters like this.

If a hunter fills his buck tag and then proceeds to fill as many antlerless tags he/she can, does not like venison and donates it. He is not a hunter but a killer. If the rationale is he enjoys the outdoors, he has every opportunity to do so without harvesting an animal(take pictures or whatever). When he/she pulls the trigger, the only reason is for the kill as he/she has no intention to use the resource.

So how naïve is it to have an opinion which one should only harvest what a hunter needs? Some say group bagging is so terrible because of the slob hunters overharvesting deer but defend shooting more than is needed and donating it. Talk about speaking out of both sides of your mouth.

Wolf, bobcat and other predators are hunted for trophy or management purposes.

Salmon fishing is not an appropriate comparison. You always have the opportunity to catch and release a fish. You can't fix dead. But if the salmon population was very low(as many claim for deer) and you continued to catch salmon and give them away rather than release, I guess I would feel you are not caring about the resource.

Of course, all the individuals who donate their deer to food pantries do it out of the kindness of their heart along with a % of their HHLD income to feed the poor. Even if they realize the cost is relatively the same a ground beef but less quality.

This would be my opinion if I could have one.

"What the heck, doe permits being issued for Washburn county? Not supported by what we saw where we hunted there last year. At least there will only be 825 permits for public land."

So Jeff and other who are unhappy about this..... How would you feel if half of these tags were purchased by hunter who fill them and donate the meat?

02-Jun-15
Do I agree with dropping off deer at a processor to be processed and donated to the local food pantry. No, I do not. I have spent time working at a local food pantry and I believe the people that need the food the most aren't the one's that show up on a regular basis. The ones that do are the lazy lowlife people that we all know about. The one's that really could use a hand up are too embarrassed of proud to ask for help.

Bingo!!!!! Nice Mike.

Naz I mean no disrespect but that is spot on. I dont know where Mike worked one either but have seen it at the ones I have been at.

Again... there would be zero donations if the deer had to be processed to donate. Nobody ... well maybe a few would but we all know what the venison donations really are. I dont want to cut up another one etc etc etc

02-Jun-15
Congrats, Naz awards a "One of the most incredibly naïve comments of the year" award to Mike, Pasquniell and Davebow. You deserve it;)

02-Jun-15
holy paranoia! I"m sorry some of you choose to sit in the same tree on the same 40 hearing gunshots across the fence line thinking the neighbor is shooting your buck. This is the real rationale stirring this up. Like Razorhead, our camp hunts the old fashioned way "still" hunting most of the day and so do many other camps in the north. Don't tread on my hunting opportunity in the northern forest region because of whats happening in the middle of the state. Were going backwards enough the way it is.

02-Jun-15
Geitz, the incredibly naive comment was made to you alone, but you came back with one that hit it out of the park so you're batting .500:

"It's ironic how we care more about what others are doing rather than what we could be doing."

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Of course there are those who abuse the food pantry system, but many more here don't. There's a true need for a helping hand, if abundant farm country whitetails are among the items donated, why should you care? Not only is it a worthy program, it's a feather in the cap of hunters in the eye of the majority — the non-hunting public.

02-Jun-15
Geitz, just curious on your opinion on this question I had:

"Now there is the guy that loves to bowhunt. He scouts, practices, etc, but he just doesn't care for the taste of venison. Does that mean he should never hunt deer?"

02-Jun-15
"Everyone is entitled to an opinion"

Not on Bowsite, especially if you are a member or director of WBH.

Although, I do not like the hunter who shoots for the sake of killing and not using the resource...I do not have any issue with the donation program. They are two different subjects.

I do not like the guy who feels it is necessary to fill 3 antlerless tags and donates them. I disagree with the guy who shoots one and donates it. Yet, I agree with the program because it serves a purpose but is funded with the guys I disagree with.

Just because I dislike something, doesn't mean I'm losing sleep over it. Unlike the guy who has a fit over the neighbor who shot a scrub buck or hunts over a pile of corn.

It's just how I was raised...Don't shoot what you are not going to eat. It's my opinion.

02-Jun-15
Geitz, just curious on your opinion on this question I had: "Now there is the guy that loves to bowhunt. He scouts, practices, etc, but he just doesn't care for the taste of venison. Does that mean he should never hunt deer?"

Obviously you are attempting to paint me into a corner but I'll bite, although I explained myself completely...

First, I'm respresenting my opinion on likes and dislikes.

Second, how does your friend hunt? Does he hunt for a trophy( I previously acknowledged) or does he fill tags although he doesn't like venison? I dislike(opinion) the later. He could shoot his bow, scout, take pictures and enjoy but the key is he enjoys killing a resource he has no use for.

Just because it's legal doesn't mean my opinion of dislike, is right or wrong....it is his choice when he purchases a license.

I love Musky fishing. Size limits are in place to insure trophy fish. I've kept one fish my entire life and released all others. Do I have a problem with the fisherman/woman who keeps a legal musky for food....no. It is legal. Do I have a problem with a fisherperson who keeps evey legal Musky, hates to eat them and donates them to a food pantry...yes. Opinion= dislike. Legal...yes.

Question for you.....although it is legal and the fisherman/woman has the right to keep all legal Musky, what is your opinion? Would they fish out of your boat? Do you consider him/her a Musky fisherperson? They fish Musky so I'd imagine you'd take them out fishing.

02-Jun-15
razor-News letter I received in the mail.

02-Jun-15

happygolucky's embedded Photo
happygolucky's embedded Photo
Thanks for the opinion Geitz on my question. Totally respect that. And no, I was not trying to paint you in a corner. The question seemed very applicable to me. My turn now to address yours.

"Question for you.....although it is legal and the fisherman/woman has the right to keep all legal Musky, what is your opinion? Would they fish out of your boat? Do you consider him/her a Musky fisherperson? They fish Musky so I'd imagine you'd take them out fishing."

I feel like you do, if the person wants to keep a legal fish, that is their option. I would personally never keep one and it churns my stomach to see people keep them, but it is their choice. Yes, I consider anyone who fishes Muskies to be a Musky fisherperson regardless of whether they keep them or release them.

I would NEVER take anyone Musky fishing with me if their intent was to kill a Musky. My boat, my rules. My rule on Lake Michigan was that my guests kept all the fish because I don't like trout and salmon. It would make me sick to my stomach to see a Musky killed for eating. I wish all lakes had a size limit over 50". I have killed 2 Muskies in my life and have boated well over 200, probably closer to 300. My first legal (32" when the limit was 30") came when I was 8 years old. My parents mounted it for me. I also kept a 43" when I was in my young teens, but not by choice. It was because the fish had the hook very deep and I did not have the right tools. I tried like heck to release it, but it died. I therefore kept it and mounted it.

My Dad was old school and kept Muskies. He was a great Musky fisherman in his time and in his time, they kept those majestic fish. I was very glad when he quit fishing them due to health reasons. He used to ask me to keep one for him and I flat out told him HELL NO. I gave him plenty of other fish like Crappies and Eyes to eat.

When my son got a 40" Pike on his first ever trip to Canada, he released it and I got him a replica made. He too is very diligent about releasing big fish. I love that boy.

02-Jun-15
Davebow,

Again you show your ignorance.

There is nothing wrong or any group bagging in effect when a group of hunters do a drive so a fellow hunter can fill his tag.

Group bagging means others shoot the deer to fill another hunters tag.

Not shooting a bunch of deer and then deciding who is going to tag what deer after they are dead. That is group bagging.

PS - Don't be a suck-up....

02-Jun-15
Have to be within sight AND hearing. Ain't that fun!

02-Jun-15
Pasq- Wouldn't want you to lose out on your twenty bucks!

No surprise here - the tags for the youth, yep those same tags everyone has commented as so insignificant in the grand scheme....should never stop becoming available to our kids.

I don't have any children in that age range any longer - but I have a whole Hunter Safety Class to choose from this fall.

Just because you personal cannot make a hunting connection in the woods with kids should not prevent others from doing so.

As hunter recruitment in this State fades away - this is one tool to help introduce young people to the sport.

Our Veterans and our disabled have at it. Our military have earned it and a disability - a true disability should allow that hunter the privilege.

Pasq - here's an idea...now go spend that twenty bucks on the neighbor kids!

02-Jun-15

10orbetter's embedded Photo
10orbetter's embedded Photo
happy, handsome young guy and a heck of a sportsman. If you want, I make hand carved pike plugs out of Wisconsin poplar wood. PM me and I will send him one for his achievement.

02-Jun-15
10, got the same newsletter, says southern zone holiday hunt discontinued but there will be a statewide Dec. 4-day antlerless hunt. Not a big deal IMO as no bonus tags are available in 11 northern forest and one central forest zone (and hunters can decide whether or not to participate in areas where there are tags). Archers/crossbows can continue to target antlerless all December and early January as well where tags are available, IF they so choose. While bonus tags for northern and central forest zones are listed to go on sale Aug. 17, they are county specific so won't be available in the 12 buck-only northern/central forest zones and are available in limited quantities as recommended by the CDAC committees in the others.

02-Jun-15
Trucker lingo Bloodtrail not monetary. Come on man.. I know you are old enough to remember Dukes of Hazard!

Anybody have a 20 = whereabouts

03-Jun-15
Pasq-

Where's your 20??

I was in the bear woods earlier, now at my desk....LOL

We still use the CB's when we go to Canada. A pretty good tool in it's day.

I got a copy of the Patron Press with the new issue of the magazine too.

Pretty informative and to the point.

03-Jun-15
Got it Naz.

03-Jun-15
I was like 15 "Good Buddy" when that was being used...

• Sitka Gear