razorhead 21-Jun-15
Drummer Boy 22-Jun-15
razorhead 22-Jun-15
Drummer Boy 22-Jun-15
CraigL 22-Jun-15
Drop Tine 23-Jun-15
Cheesehead Mike 23-Jun-15
30-May-15
Anyone else collect sporting books? I have been for a very very long time, and believe I have one of the finest collection of trout books around.....

Anyway, lots of deer books, and I was wondering who else likes to collect and read deer hunting books....

This year I am going back, and reading all the books I forgot about....

First book is 1981 The Art and Appreciation of Trophy Bowhunting by Bob Kirschner.......

This might sound dumb to some, or maybe there is no inte,,,rest, just curious who else loves these books

30-May-15
Fred Bear, Elmer Kieth, Jack O ' connor, pre war issues of Outdoor life, Field and Stream, and early prints of B&C records.

30-May-15
Fred G Asbells older publications have been good reads thru the winter.

30-May-15
I've accumulated lots of hunting books, but most are paperbacks or beat up hand me downs. Not real collectibles.

I really enjoy the older books or the books that recorded the stories of the hunts of the past.

I picked up a paperback in a gas station up North, "Dawn of the Deer Camp" full of old photos and stories.

I find the old magazines fun too. The stories, ads and classifieds can all be entertaining.

So, I don't think it's dumb at all. I'd probably be jealous of your collection.

30-May-15
I did not do it for any money, just love to read and all the wisdom that was out there.

Have the original book called Ishi, bought that at a antique store in MO.....

I like to have a lot of great books at my cabin,and at home, always willing to share

31-May-15
I have around 200 books that I've been collecting since about 1985. Lots of alaska adventure, grouse hunting, musky fishing, outdoor short stories, outdoor humor, African PH stories from the old days, dog books,.....etc. Mostly hardcover.

It's sad but I haven't bought an actual book in a few years now as the iPad is so convenient. I guess the exception to that would be the local author paperbacks I sometimes buy from roadside stands & gas stations.

My favorite? A ratty, beat up copy of 'Where the Red Fern Grows' autographed to me by Wilson Rawls. That's the book that sparked my interest in reading outdoor stories many years ago.

31-May-15
Cave drawings by Gronk. Excellent photo-journalism!

That was for you Pete-Pasq. Thought you might appreciate some friendly fun? ;-)

31-May-15
I can't say I am well-read on the older books, but from what I have read the guys from years back could not rely on fast bows, digital range finders, scent control stuff, and all the gimmicks we have now. Their level of woodsmanship would put many modern hunters to shame.

31-May-15
I wish I had some of the older books I lost in a move. I lost one that was a great read that I can't remember the title. It profiled great bowhunters like Roger Rothaar. There were others it profiled, but I can't remember. Oh one was Mitch Rompola, he was killing great bucks way before the controversial one.

31-May-15
That's is funny Pete. I am trying to hunting from the ground instead of a tree and man ... its tough for me. Fred G writes a good book on the art but it still eludes me. I have collected FUR FISH GAME since the beginning of time and also have a few 1923 Field and Streams that are pretty cool. Amazing how many tobacco articles there are in the older ones.

01-Jun-15
Rut that book is Whitetail Masters and it was written by Dan Bertalan out of MI.......

If I find another copy I will get it for you, I know I have seen it....

Mitch Rompola was featured as the swamp master. Mitch was a different type of guy,,,,,, I could tell you a lot about him, if you would think it would add to this thread...

Mitch could not find a short enough compound, so he made his own out of ordered parts its was 29 inches. He was a strong guy, and he hunted on the ground, sitting on a plastic bag, and his average shot was 12 yards,,,,,,,

I am going to start a thread on ground hunting, its a lost art for the most part, as well as tracking, which yes with the right conditions, is a great way to kill a buck

01-Jun-15
Razorhead, that would be a great thread. Ground hunting and tracking are definitely an art that seems lost today.

01-Jun-15

Pasquinell's embedded Photo
Pasquinell's embedded Photo
This is a very good read for ground hunting or stalking.

20-Jun-15
I have collected all the archery books and magazines over the years. Prized possessions are all of the original National Bowhunter mags. From 1952 on. They covered a lot of the early Wisconsin bowhunting. Art Laha, Roy Case, Larry Whiffen, Howard Thrapp, etc. Some great memories

21-Jun-15
Seeing the names, Art LaHa and Roy Case, brought back memories from the 60's. Art was showing his hunting movie at our theater in Minn. and I brought my to be wife to see it. A few years later my pregnant wife and I drove to Wisc. and visited Art at his strip mall. He said we should go and visit Roy and his wife at their cabin. I had the pleasure of shooting the range with him that he had in the pine swamp. My wife sat in the cabin with Roy's wife drinking beer. I think they were in their 70's then. Roy gave me one of his broadheads that he made. great memory

21-Jun-15
Wow Tundra that is a great story! Glad I was able to meet and talk to Glen before his passing. Never more conversation than a fan would say but got to meet him.

21-Jun-15
are you talking about Glen ST. CHARLES?

21-Jun-15
interesting.... just got home from the UP... bought in a second hand store outside of Marquette, the definitive book on Ishi,,,,,,, started it last nite could not put it down.....

Art LaHa is the reason I hunt with a stick bow,,,, met him while a friend was doing taxidermy work for him,,,,,,

22-Jun-15
I read and own lots of books may be not as much as years ago before the internet.Wensel,Bertalan,Weiss,Brunner, Bear,and more.I also like the trout books they just go with deer books.Bergman,Holland,Brooks,Edson Leonard are some of my favorite. Razor trout fishing in the UP I am sure you have trout Madness.

22-Jun-15
Drummer - but of course I do, the theme to one of my cabin rooms is trout madness, along with creels and mounts, and reels etc, its a majic room

Along with deer and trout, comes my beloved grouse books, and one of my favorites is Drummer in the woods

22-Jun-15
I thought you would have it classic north woods book.First read it in high school at the time we were fishing Florence county streams and beaver ponds.Who wrote Drummer in the woods?I have spent most of my live chasing those darn things, and still can not get enough.

22-Jun-15
I have over 100 hunting books that I've collected over the years, but now I too mostly download books to read.

And by the way razorhead, I have a few of my grandfather's books on fly fishing from when he used to fish the Pine and Popple rivers. Let me know if you are interested in reading them, I know one of them is a fly fishing book called "How To Fish From Top To Bottom by Sid W. Gordon"

23-Jun-15

Drop Tine's Link
Mert Cowley's books are a fun read. Most of which takes place in the WI. northwoods and the old time pictures are really something.

Currently reading "A Palace in the Popples". Oddly I ran into his books in a gas station in Prentice of all places.

23-Jun-15
Cool stuff guys, I have a few old books but not many.

Also love to trout fish and have fond memories of catching those first brookies when I was about 12 years old...

• Sitka Gear