Mathews Inc.
If you want Co. Treasurers out..........
Pennsylvania
Contributors to this thread:
Rut Nut 02-Jun-15
stickbowhntr 02-Jun-15
stickbowhntr 02-Jun-15
Teeton 02-Jun-15
Stekewood 02-Jun-15
horsethief51 03-Jun-15
Rut Nut 03-Jun-15
bill v 03-Jun-15
dougell 03-Jun-15
Phil Magistro 03-Jun-15
dougell 03-Jun-15
Stekewood 03-Jun-15
Phil Magistro 03-Jun-15
Dale Hajas 03-Jun-15
Phil Magistro 03-Jun-15
Dale Hajas 03-Jun-15
Red Beastmaster 03-Jun-15
Phil Magistro 03-Jun-15
Dale Hajas 04-Jun-15
Rut Nut 04-Jun-15
dougell 04-Jun-15
Phil Magistro 04-Jun-15
Rut Nut 04-Jun-15
Rut Nut 05-Jun-15
dougell 08-Jun-15
Brad Gehman 08-Jun-15
Brad Gehman 08-Jun-15
Bourbonator 08-Jun-15
RC 09-Jun-15
JB 09-Jun-15
Rut Nut 09-Jun-15
Rut Nut 25-Jun-15
Brad Gehman 25-Jun-15
Rut Nut 26-Jun-15
Brad Gehman 27-Jun-15
swiggy 29-Jun-15
Rut Nut 30-Jun-15
Brad Gehman 30-Jun-15
Rut Nut 30-Jun-15
Rut Nut 20-Jul-15
Jeff Durnell 20-Jul-15
Brad Gehman 20-Jul-15
Rut Nut 20-Jul-15
Rut Nut 20-Jul-15
RC 20-Jul-15
Rut Nut 20-Jul-15
Brad Gehman 20-Jul-15
Phil Magistro 20-Jul-15
Brad Gehman 20-Jul-15
Dale Hajas 21-Jul-15
RC 21-Jul-15
Brad Gehman 21-Jul-15
Rut Nut 26-Jul-15
Jeff Durnell 26-Jul-15
Stekewood 26-Jul-15
Rut Nut 27-Jul-15
Stekewood 27-Jul-15
Rut Nut 27-Jul-15
RC 27-Jul-15
Rut Nut 28-Jul-15
RC 28-Jul-15
Brad Gehman 28-Jul-15
Stekewood 28-Jul-15
Jeff Durnell 29-Jul-15
Rut Nut 29-Jul-15
Rut Nut 06-Aug-15
horsethief51 06-Aug-15
Brad Gehman 07-Aug-15
Rut Nut 09-Aug-15
Brad Gehman 10-Aug-15
hawk-eye 10-Aug-15
Rut Nut 11-Aug-15
RC 11-Aug-15
Bowbender 11-Aug-15
Jeff Durnell 11-Aug-15
Brad Gehman 11-Aug-15
Rut Nut 11-Aug-15
RC 11-Aug-15
PAbowhunter1064 17-Aug-15
RC 19-Aug-15
Rut Nut 19-Aug-15
RC 20-Aug-15
Rut Nut 20-Aug-15
Jeff Durnell 20-Aug-15
RC 20-Aug-15
Bourbonator 20-Aug-15
Rut Nut 21-Aug-15
RC 21-Aug-15
Bowbender 21-Aug-15
4406v 21-Aug-15
Jeff Durnell 21-Aug-15
Bowbender 21-Aug-15
RC 21-Aug-15
Will tell 21-Aug-15
Rut Nut 21-Aug-15
RC 21-Aug-15
Rut Nut 21-Aug-15
Jeff Durnell 22-Aug-15
RC 23-Aug-15
Rut Nut 24-Aug-15
Brad Gehman 24-Aug-15
Jeff Durnell 31-Aug-15
Teeton 31-Aug-15
Ben Farmer 31-Aug-15
Ben Farmer 31-Aug-15
02-Jun-15
.............out of the doe license "business", then you want to support HB 231!

On Monday June 8,2015 the House will be holding a hearing to consider House Bill 231 as introduced by Representative Gerald Mullery that would put antlerless deer license sales in the PALS system and out of the hands of the County Treasurers.

The UBP has sent Rep. Mullery an official position statement supporting this bill.

Now would be a good time to call you local Representatives and ask them to support this bill!

02-Jun-15
dumb question maybe , what's wrong with the system the way it is NOW?

/

02-Jun-15
dumb question maybe , what's wrong with the system the way it is NOW?

/

02-Jun-15
I would like to know how the money if it goes to the pals system is used and who gets what. Is pals a Pa owned company? Right now I believe each county gets a little from each doe tag. If now a company gets that money instead of each county,, I'm not for it. If pals is a company I would not be surprised if they lobbied for it to make the money.. I also do not see anything wrong with the way doe tags are handled by county tres.

If anyone can tell me whats wrong with the way it's done now please tell me.. Ed

02-Jun-15
What's wrong with the system now is that it's from the Stone Age. It's 2015 guys. We should be able to go online and buy the tags, not have to deal with paper applications, writing checks, playing around with colored envelopes with glue that doesn't stick, and stamps. It's time to get with the times.

03-Jun-15
Have'nt some of the counties not mailed the tags out in time for the early archery season? Also, back in the day they could give them out to the locals first and it was not a true drawing. I actually knew relatives who sent in sperately and got consecutive numbers once. What are the chances of that? Ripe for fraud.

03-Jun-15
Guys- last year one of the counties(Luzerne?) claimed lack of manpower and did not process antlerless applications for WEEKS!!!!!!!!! So guys got screwed- their apps sat there at county treasurers office while other county treasurers offices were filling tags from those WMU's with limited doe tags.(Remember- any county treasurer can fill a tag for any WMU in the state now, not just for the WMU it is located in). By the time Luzerne Co(or whatever county it was- can't remember for sure) started working on the applications, all the WMU's with limited doe tags were already filled.

Brad Gehman and others pointed this out years ago- how some counties are much better than others at getting the antlerless Applications processed. I think he said some counties actually work overtime to get them all processed til they are done. Where others take days or weeks to get them done.

Each county gets $1 per license to issue antlerless tags. I believe with the PALS system, they get $.70 per license to issue it. But I think that is just for the basic license, not all the separate stamps and tags.

Like others have stated, it's about time we do everything automated and get rid of those dang pink envelopes!!!!!!!!!!!!! NY (and other states) have been doing this for years.

03-Jun-15
When I need more tags it sure would be nice to just go over to Dick's and pick them up

03-Jun-15
Rut,PALS gets .70 per transaction.That means every tag and every harvest you report costs an additional .70.With PALS,the cost gets passed on to the consumer.

03-Jun-15
What consumer? License fees can't increase without legislature approval.

03-Jun-15
Anyone who purchases a license would be considered a consumer.Every transaction on PALS has a fee of .70.Every time you buy a License,tag,permit or report a harvest,there's an additional .70 fee attached to it.That was approved by the legislature a long time ago.

03-Jun-15
Well there's another reason to go to PALS. Not only do you avoid all of the hassle of dealing with the paper applications, you also save .28 on every tag.

03-Jun-15
dougell, I still don't understand. I reported a kill last year and want charged anything.

03-Jun-15
Who's kill was it?:)

03-Jun-15
Road kill. :)

Smarty...

03-Jun-15
You know if Roy were here he'd have asked the same question:)

03-Jun-15
Roy's not that bright.

03-Jun-15
Speaking of Roy - if you see him this weekend at the PA Longbow shoot tell him I said Hi and I'm not able to be there so he won't have to feed me. :)

04-Jun-15
Lol will do

04-Jun-15

Anyone who purchases a license would be considered a consumer.Every transaction on PALS has a fee of .70.Every time you buy a License,tag,permit or report a harvest,there's an additional .70 fee attached to it.That was approved by the legislature a long time ago.

Doug, even if they charge .70 for every tag and stamp, it is worth every penny to get the County Treasurers OUT of the process! ;-)

04-Jun-15
Phil,sorry for the confusion.The PGC was charged the .70.You get charged the .70 for ever license,tag or permit.Every PALS transaction has a .70 fee associated with it.

I have no issues getting the treasures out of it.I just couldn't imagine the nighmare accociated with long lines at license agents and issues with the PALS system.Last year I bought my lisence on line along with several DMAP tags.Something happened with the PALS system at that time and it took weeks before I got anything in the mail.

04-Jun-15
Thanks Doug. That's what I thought. The PGC eats the cost of reporting.

I'm also fine with eliminating the treasurers.

04-Jun-15
This may help to clear things up:

5/20/2015 By State Rep. Keith Gillespie 47th Legislative District

Hunters tend to be fond of tradition. Some things are done a certain way and will be for years to come because they’ve been handed down from a previous generation. It is said that “old habits are hard to break,” and I myself have a few “rituals” that follow that adage.

The House Game and Fisheries Committee, which I chair, recently conducted a public hearing to examine House Bill 231, authored by state Rep. Gerald Mullery (D-Luzerne). This legislation would allow hunters to purchase their antlerless deer licenses through the Pennsylvania Game Commission’s (PGCs) Pennsylvania Automated Licensing System (PALS). Those licenses are currently sold through county treasurers’ offices. Most of them are purchased by mail.

Before going any further, it’s important to note this bill would not prevent anyone from stopping by the county office and buying a doe license. For some, that process may be a yearly practice they may not want to do away with. House Bill 231 still allows you to make that choice and permits county treasurers to serve as licensing agents. If anything, House Bill 231 will augment that experience.

For years, doe hunting in Pennsylvania was essentially divided up by counties, of which there are 67. There were a limited number of licenses allotted to each county, and hunters had to purchase a license to doe hunt in a specific county. If they weren’t applying in person, they had to do so by mail. Days and possibly weeks could go by after mailing in an application, having it returned and finding out whether or not licenses were available. This system of using the pink envelops worked, albeit with some issues, for many years. It is now time to look at bringing this process in to the 21st century.

In 2003, the process was changed as the state was split up into 22 wildlife management units (WMUs). The units are based on land use/habitat, human density, public/private land ownership, recognizable physical features, such as major roads and rivers, and land use practices, such as agriculture, timber and development. Traditionally, the WMUs in the northcentral part of Pennsylvania sell out of their allotment of doe licenses in a matter of days.

What PALS would do is allow a hunter to visit his or her licensing agent and immediately see whether or not licenses remain in the WMU where they wish to hunt. They would also know immediately whether or not they have been successful in obtaining a license in a specific zone. Hunters would even be able to view availability online themselves at home and place their own order using PALS.

Those of you who fish are already aware of the ease of using PALS in the licensing process. For that matter, most hunters are already aware of it, as the PGC began using PALS about six years ago for issuing other hunting licenses and add-on privileges. Ironically, you can check the status of your doe license application using PALS, even though you can’t use it to actually apply.

Change is oftentimes a difficult thing. In many cases, it is a good thing. The responsibility of processing antlerless deer licenses belongs with the PGC, which issues other licenses. Adding PALS to the process would speed things up and prevent delays, pink envelop issues, and possible disappointment.

As majority chairman of the House Game and Fisheries Committee, I plan to call a voting meeting in the very near future to consider House Bill 231. My hope is to move this bill to the floor for consideration and hopefully Senate passage. It would take effect 60 days after being signed into law.

05-Jun-15
Ok- here's your chance folks! Remember, if this is important to you, send your e-mails or call this weekend. Monday 6/8 is the hearing!

08-Jun-15
PALS stinks.I just went online to buy my license and dmaps.The dmaps will be sold out by today and every time I put the dmap unit in,it says invalid number.I had a similar issue last year.

08-Jun-15
IF YOU WANT YOUR TAGS SENT BACK TO YOU AS SOON AS THEY ARE PROCESSED, SEND THEM TO MONTGOMERY COUNTY.

08-Jun-15
I sent an email to all those on the Game and Fish Committee. My neighboring Rep sent an email back saying I wasn't her constituent.

When she sits on that committee, she represents hunters and fisherman, not her district.

When she votes on the House floor, she can vote for her local constituents, but not before. '

They use that as a cop out.

08-Jun-15
I send to Washington and have never had a problem.

09-Jun-15
70 cents won't break the bank.... And Red, knock it off:)

However I just print out my own tags, been working for years now. I go to the PGC webpage and click on a doe tag picture, edit it with my info, then print it out:)

09-Jun-15
RC, you ain't shot nuttin since the 90's why bother printing any tags:)

09-Jun-15
Sorry to hear that, doug! Hope you got it straightened out.

I have never had a problem with the PALS system. Had problems with clerks at WalyWorld that didn't know how to operate it! ;-) That's why I go to my local shop now. Never a line there and he gets my business.

25-Jun-15
I saw an article in the June 5 edition of PA Outdoor News. They said the May 12 hearing was "testy". The Co. treasurer rep was very evasive when asked certain questions during the hearing.

Also, Rep. Mullery stated he has heard from 3 fellow lawmakers that they cannot support this bill because of political pressure they are getting from treasurers in their home districts.(surprise surprise! ;-)

What was most interesting was Rep. Doyle Hefley's response. He claims that he "gets no complaints from hunters in his area about how doe licenses are sold." He then went on to suggest that treasurers are representatives and a voice for sportsmen, saying the fact that they need to get re-elected makes them more responsive to the people, with their involvement in selling doe tags making sure the process is "fair and equitable".

Really? No complaints about this antiquated system????!!! I find that hard to believe! ANd to say that this system is FAIR AND EQUITABLE? He must not be aware of the past abuses and in-action by county treasurers!(or he's looking the other way ;-)

25-Jun-15
In so many ways, PA does not want to enter the 20th Century.

26-Jun-15
Yeah, seems that way! :(

Well, just keep spending $109,000 dollars printing those pink envelopes...............and wait months to get our doe tags! ;-)

27-Jun-15
SEND YOUR DOE TAGS TO MONTGOMERY COUNTY.

They send them back right away, like they should.

I'm tired of counties sending tags back when THEY feel like it.

If Amazon took your money, then decided to hold your product for a couple months, they'd be out of business and probably the state would charge them with a crime.

29-Jun-15
Montgomery it is for this year...thanks Brad.

30-Jun-15
Yeah, I'm gonna give Montgomery a try this year. Hope they're ready for the increase in business! ;-)

30-Jun-15
Last year my brother, who lives in Reading, sent an app to Montco for his grandson. It was back in his hands in less than a week!

30-Jun-15
Nice! :)

20-Jul-15
TTT for Jeff! :)

20-Jul-15
Thanks Rut. Maybe I'll fill it out tonight and send it to Montgomery.

20-Jul-15
Rut, buddy of mine got his tag in the mail today, from Montgomery County.

Others counties are now doing the same, getting them back as son as processed, as it should be.

20-Jul-15
Well, I was late getting it in the mail. I put it in the mail about 4:15pm on Wed.(in Pike County) and I just checked and it was awarded at 2:32pm on Friday! That is less than 48 hours to make it from Pike County to Montgomery county AND get processed! That's the way it should work. Wouldn't be surpised if it is in the mail tomorrow. GOOD JOB MONTGOMERY COUNTY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

20-Jul-15

Rut Nut's Link
BTW, if anyone wants to check the status of their application, click this link and then click the first option. Just need to know your SS#, CID# or drivers license #.

20-Jul-15
I printed mine out last night. Don't see what all the fuss is about.

20-Jul-15
Well, some of us actually FILL the tags, Roy! I guess if you never shoot a deer, you might as well just print them out. ;-)

20-Jul-15
I sent my daughter's tag to Montco last Monday at 3 PM. Awarded last Thursday. Expect its in my mail tomorrow.

20-Jul-15
I sent mine to Montgomery County and got it in the mail Saturday.

20-Jul-15
WOW! Customer service!

21-Jul-15
Roy sent mine 2 weeks ago.

21-Jul-15
:)

21-Jul-15
My daughter's doe tag came on Monday.

26-Jul-15
I got mine last Tuesday(7/21)

26-Jul-15
I sent mine in to Butler on Fri 24th.

26-Jul-15
Mailed mine and my son's 3d applications to my local Ridiculous. It could have been done and over with in 5 minutes online.

27-Jul-15
MONTGOMERY COUNTY folks! ;-)

I talked to one of my friends from church. Apparently he was not aware that we can send to ANY county treasurer to apply for ANY wmu. He will be sending to Montgomery Co. for the next round! ;-)

27-Jul-15
I hear you Rut. I've had much better luck in the past sending them to Bucks instead of up to 3D land (Luzerne). Not so much this year I guess.

27-Jul-15
Pike wasn;t too bad last year, but I wanted to see for myself if Montgomery Co. was better. I will be sending there from now on.......................hopefully not too much longer, though(if you catch my drift! ;-)

27-Jul-15
Geeze the season doesn't start till September 19th. Relax.. You guys sound like old ladies at bingo... :) I already have my Ohio license and doe tags, got them via my laptop.. Gonna hunt on 80 private acres out there. Screw Pa and their antique system. Even gonna hunt on Sunday out there, screw watching football.

28-Jul-15
LOL! :)

28-Jul-15
:)

28-Jul-15
There are more treasures getting them back in a timely manner than ever before. Problem seems to be people are tight lipped about it for some reason.

28-Jul-15
BINGO!

Tag issued at 12:13 today.

29-Jul-15
Issued 7/27. Now we'll see how long it takes to get it.

29-Jul-15
Let us know when you get them guys.

06-Aug-15
Well, I screwed up! Didn't get the app in the mail until early Monday morning. That ended up biting me!

Sent to Montgomery Co. again and probably should have got it in the mail Friday. I checked daily(both doe tags left, and to see if a tag was awarded).

As of 1pm yesterday there were still 2000 tags left for my first choice. I was awarded my 3rd choice at 3:06 pm :(

I'm thinking I might have had a better chance "mailing" it to Pike instead of Montgomery. In Pike it only had to make it across town.

Well, lesson learned! ;-)

06-Aug-15
My check was cashed in Clarion.

07-Aug-15
Perry, your tag would have gone to a sorting facility out of the county anyway. Then back to Pike. Might not have made a difference.

09-Aug-15
We have a 18337 ONLY slot at our PO, Brad. So it would have been at the Courthouse later in the day Monday.

Still not a lock that they would have processed it by Wed. morning, but maybe................

10-Aug-15
Its reported a post office over by Harrisburg had doe tag apps sitting there for 8-10 DAYS before they sent them to the County Treasurer......

Pathetic.

10-Aug-15
our doe licenses came today, it took one month.

11-Aug-15
Brad, we need to take the 2 WEAK LINKS out of the equation- 1) Postal Service and 2) County Treasurers! :(

Just crazy in this day and age we are still MAILING our applications to County Treasurers to process BY HAND when the whole thing could take MERE SECONDS by computer!!!!!!!!!

11-Aug-15
Now come on Rut..

You know damn well that makes too much sense:)

11-Aug-15
Rut,

"Just crazy in this day and age we are still MAILING our applications to County Treasurers to process BY HAND when the whole thing could take MERE SECONDS by computer!!!!!!!!!"

Was talking to a friend at work this morning, chatting about the archaic process of getting tags, even if you by on-line, it takes 7-10 days to get it in the mail.

I mentioned that in 2002 I hunted West Virgina for the first time. You know West Virgina...not a state that would be on the cutting edge of technology. Anyhow, I bought my license on line, printed out my tags, all in about 10 minutes. That's thirteen years ago, and here we are still filling out applications by hand and mailing them in.

11-Aug-15
I just checked the PGC site. I was awarded a second antlerless license yesterday in Butler... but still haven't received my first one. I drive right by there twice a day. Maybe I should just stop in and pick them both up after work :^)

11-Aug-15
But Rut, our ignorant legislators feel the county tresurers are doing a fine job.....

PA could be SO much better if they would get out of the way.

11-Aug-15
Well, apparently SOME of them are doing a fine job SOME of the time- but why should we have to rely on that when there is a MUCH better option???!!! I know I am "preaching to the choir" here! ;-)

11-Aug-15
I'll be going to the Greensburg court house to buy a 5c and 2b tag over the counter.

17-Aug-15
I sent my pink envelope to Montgomery County on 8/3/15, and had it back in my hands on 8/10/15....seven days total. I had the same results for my 1st round tag. Dad did the same, and received his tag the same days. Very pleased with the effort and efficiency of the treasury folks in Montgomery!

19-Aug-15
Sent my applications in last Thursday to Westmoreland county. 2b was awarded Monday and 5c was awarded Tuesday. Mailed them in different envelopes.

19-Aug-15
What happened Roy, I thought you were gonna buy them over the counter?! ;-)

20-Aug-15
Saving gas and parking fees...

20-Aug-15
Oh, OK. Guess you gotta cut back somewhere since buying that fancy new camper! ;-)

20-Aug-15
Still no pink envelopes making their way back to me here. I don't mind because we've got several weeks until the season starts anyhow.

20-Aug-15
Zactly... I don't see what all the fuss is about..

20-Aug-15
I have 3 tags in hand already! No complaints here.

21-Aug-15
I have 2 tags also. Didn't take more than a week to get either one back. No excuse for holding them at the Treasurer's office.

21-Aug-15
I often wonder if some of the employees working at these county treasurer's offices aren't anti hunters and they drag their feet on issuing these doe tags. Or even some of the post office employees could be anti hunters and they know what is in those pink envelopes, it's very possible! Just something we have to deal with I suppose!

21-Aug-15
"Zactly... I don't see what all the fuss is about.."

Because it's an archaic method that was obsolete 15 years ago. Filling out little forms by hand, mailing them back, self addressed, self stamped envelope.....it's so 1975.

21-Aug-15
No real reason to keep the old system. It costs and wastes money for everyone involved.

You already have a modern system in place that will work PERFECTLY. New York has had a "PALS" type system for years. Their doe tags are sold over the counter just like the licenses. You want to hunt zone A? Let's see there's 100 doe tags left YES you can have one!!! They charge you for it and there's 99 left WOW!!! What a great idea!!!

The current system is just plain STUPID. It costs everyone of us 2 stamps and at least a month wait, they cash your check and it's still a month to get the tag??? If they want to charge a little more just add the cost of 2 stamps and call it done!!!

21-Aug-15
Yeah, it's senseless and more difficult than it is in some states, but why the fuss over whether we get them back 8 weeks before the earliest season begins? I thought bowhunters had more patience than that :^)

21-Aug-15
"I thought bowhunters had more patience than that :^)"

I do...Just that I don't suffer inefficiencies and archaic methods very well. It's the engineer in me. :)

21-Aug-15
OH NO, not another engineer.. LOL :)

That was my point also, Jeff. However I do agree that the system is way out of date and should be changed to a computer drawing system for doe tags. Maybe someday that will happen:)

21-Aug-15
I have 3 tags coming and as long as they get here before Oct. I'm good.lol

21-Aug-15

Yeah, it's senseless and more difficult than it is in some states, but why the fuss over whether we get them back 8 weeks before the earliest season begins? I thought bowhunters had more patience than that :^)

Because it is actually 4 weeks Jeff! And some of us have actually gotten them a day or 2 AFTER the season already started in past years! ;-)

Point is, there is absolutely NO GOOD REASON for county treasurers to sit on doe tags before mailing them out!

Like I said before.....................get the weak links out of the equation!

21-Aug-15
Meow, Meow, Meow...... Sniff Sniff, Sob Sob... LOL XO Rutty-Boy... :)

21-Aug-15
LOL! I sure hope you show up to the 5C hunt this year old man..........................got a "special" spot all picked out for you! ;-)

22-Aug-15
Rut, I know the season is only either 4 or 6 weeks away NOW depending on where we hunt, but you guys have been fussin over their return for several weeks already :^)

If you don't get them in time, do like I do and just print out the confirmation page on the PGC site and take it hunting. It's as good as the actual license.... I figure :^)

23-Aug-15
That could work maybe, but you have no ear tag.

24-Aug-15
LOL Jeff- let me know how that works out fer ya! ;-)

24-Aug-15
It won't.

31-Aug-15
I got both of my antlerless licenses in the mail today.... with just a month to spare :^)

31-Aug-15
I have not gotten any of mine yet, but there still time. I bet everyone gets them in time. Ed

31-Aug-15
hell, I didn't even send for any yet! I'll probably just go to the court house and pick them up like I did last year. Anyone know the date on when we can do that?

Ben

31-Aug-15

Ben Farmer's embedded Photo
Ben Farmer's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear