hookman 07-Jun-15
speedy 07-Jun-15
Bennett2012 09-Jun-15
mudflap 09-Jun-15
babysaph 09-Jun-15
HUNTMAYNARD 10-Jun-15
WV Steel force 12-Jun-15
04-Jun-15
It is boring on here lately so think about this.....Just wondering if any of us will hunt with a crossbow. I will probably borrow one and shoot a doe (during gun season) with it just so I can say I did it. (It is hard putting up a valid argument if you have never done it). Also, I don't understand the bowhunting only counties not using them. If you can hunt with them with a handicapped license why can you not hunt during archery/crossbow season. Sounds like maybe a deal was worked out.

04-Jun-15
I agree wvbownut. I don't understand that logic. It sounds as though they know that there will be more deer killed in those counties as well as statewide.

04-Jun-15
JR you are absolute correct they do know that the kill will go up just like it did in other states around us. In Ohio they kill just as many deer during the bow season now as what they do the 1 week gun season....

If I recall correctly I read an article not too long ago that said for like the last 5 years the deer kill in Ohio for vertical bows (LOL that is what they call compounds and stick bows) and guns has decreased but for crossbows has increased each year.

05-Jun-15
and have you drove through ohio lately? its pin ball with the deer, not to mention the fact that the chances of seeing a monster are 10 times greater (yes i understand the 1 buck rule there).

again i ask, you would think companies like bowtech, hoyt, mathews, pse, etc would be struggling in a cross bow world, but the truth is those companies are fine and its because the vast majority of people still choose a vertical bow.

05-Jun-15
It would make since that the crossbow kill would go up and the other bow kill numbers would go down as people changed over. Now 4 months of bow season verses 1 week of gun season I would expect the numbers to be close. You could also buy special tags that were good for bow only hunting. Your giving crossbows to much credit I believe. I support and really expect to have a crossbow season in the 4 counties but i also support a gun season there why should they be different. Now I understand people that hunt there would hate that, but let me ask you this if only the county residents were allowed to hunt there would you still be in favor? It's not right!

05-Jun-15
There are huge bucks there in those counties no doubt but I know I see more PY bucks in Idaho, Montana , Iowa and Illinois in a week than some guys see all season Dow there. But don't get me wrong I am glad those counties exist for guys that can't go to other places. I hate to lose it to crossbows or guns.

05-Jun-15
I think we should leave it up to the game biologist as to whether or not it should be open to gun season. As for crossbows I think since we allow them in all the other counties they should be allowed there also. If it is good enough for the handicapped hunters then it should be good enough for everyone. I can't see many bowhunters switching over to crossbows. I think it will be a big thing in the next couple of years but when they realize that they have to lug that big old thing thru the woods they might think different.

05-Jun-15
JR, how far you can see in Idaho, Montana, etc..., versus in one of the bow only counties?

06-Jun-15
I'm just afraid it will kill the sport of archery.

06-Jun-15
A lot farther for sure .

07-Jun-15
There will be no crossbow in my hunting arsenal, do whatever you want but not for me.

07-Jun-15
I second that hookman!

09-Jun-15
Next they will legalize blow guns with poison darts

09-Jun-15
Everyone probably remembers Tim Wells. He has a show called Relentless Persuit. Anyways he did a show over in Africa using blowguns, some with and without poison darts. I believe he shot an Impalla plus other smaller critters. Seemed quite deadly. Dont knock it till you try it boys.

James

09-Jun-15
They wont allow blowguns in the bowhunting only counties. And I will knock and I have never tried it.

10-Jun-15
make sure your lips aren't on the mouth piece when you inhale.!!!

12-Jun-15
I've never done drugs but have seen the effect that it has on people. I have seen the deer kill numbers in other states that have xgun seasons......to echo babysaph....."I will knock it and I have never tried it"

• Sitka Gear