RutNut@work 09-Jun-15
sagittarius 09-Jun-15
Diamond Dave 09-Jun-15
South Farm 15-Jun-15
TheLama 15-Jun-15
Mike F 15-Jun-15
dbl lung 16-Jun-15
09-Jun-15
What should I do with the rye this summer. I don't have means of harvesting it mechanically. Will the heads last into this winter and will the deer feed on them? Any thoughts? Thanks, Dave

09-Jun-15
Plow it under plant something else.

09-Jun-15
Birds, deer, turkeys will eat the seed heads, sometimes before they mature. Early September there will be nothing left. Do what you want, leave the cover, or Mow, spray, plow, disk, setup for late summer planting... your choice.

09-Jun-15
You could disk it under in mid August and the heads/seeds will regrow into a nice fresh rye plot in time for the bow opener. I've done this many times. I usually broadcast some extra rye see prior to disking it.

15-Jun-15
Diamond Dave...does that method work on oats too??

15-Jun-15
Rye is hard to get rid of. It reseeds itself very easy. Winter wheat will do the same if you let the heads of grain mature then mow them down. I have never planted oats.

15-Jun-15
Oats will reseed itself, but they will not survive winter.

16-Jun-15
What you should do is spray with Roundup, disk and reseed with rye, oats or wheat. Then go the rye, Oats or wheat with a good clover mix. In Spring the clover will come up. The clover will stay nice a lush well into late fall. The one thing you will have to do to the clover is mow it once it flowers out.

• Sitka Gear