Dampland 19-Aug-15
Naz 19-Aug-15
RutNut@work 19-Aug-15
GoJakesGo 19-Aug-15
east fork lodge 19-Aug-15
Dampland 21-Aug-15
14-Jun-15

10orbetter's Link
Wisconsin Gray Wolf population is up 18% in spite of the harvest of 154 dogs last year. As many have said here, it was a drop in the bucket. The 18% equates to about 100 wolves and will likely result in an increase of 2400 additional deer being killed across the northern 1/3 of Wisconsin. And, we brought Elk from Kentucky for what purpose? They don't have a chance!

14-Jun-15
The other thing is that their count is continually off by at least 500. Probably closer to 1000.

14-Jun-15
+1 Rut. I laugh at the current estimate being under 800 wolves.

14-Jun-15
When they finally win a repeal of the recent judgement and a wolf season is back in place, I hope they give out 500 tags and really manage these numbers before they get way out of control. A population of 350 is what was sold to the citizens of the state of Wisconsin and that should remain the overall goal, not some adjusted number because their population took off.

14-Jun-15

Naz 's Link
Actually was up 13 percent after a 19 percent drop a year earlier. Part of it (IMO) was due to a more concerted effort to put more contracted trackers on the ground to aid the DNR staff and the volunteers. They tracked roughly 1,000+ more road miles this year than last.

Interviewed Dave McFarland of DNR wolf program a week prior to the recent public meeting for a feature that's in this week's Wisconsin Outdoor News. It's not online, but a rewritten and very small part of it was in Saturday's Gannett papers (online linked under "Hunting").

USFWS audit of DNR's wolf population "count" estimated that it's within 10 percent of the actual at that time of year. (Of course, the USFWS takes 10 years to study if cormorants are indeed negatively impacting fish populations.....).

14-Jun-15
Rut, exactly. A number of years ago the DNR admitted they were off by 300% in estimating the Pelican Lake pack. So add another 282% to their estimation. They could give out 1000 tags and still have plenty of dogs left.

15-Jun-15
They are trapping wolves just down the road from me where they had the elk penned. I figure they either want to move them away from the elk or want to collar them to see how they interact with the elk. Anybody know what they are up to?

15-Jun-15
Taking dinner reservations from them.

16-Jun-15
Dane county would be a good place to move them to. Plenty far from any wild elk and lots of easy food for them to find there.

16-Jun-15
Just great! Received confirmation today that there is a wolf pack in Matteson Township, Waupace County.

How long before our deer herd is under goal??

16-Jun-15

Naz 's embedded Photo
Naz 's embedded Photo
Not good news, but I'd bet many locals will try to keep an eye out for them. Once state management is returned, I'd bet tag-drawers would gladly help out. Until then, even if there are 10-20 wolves in the county, that's 200-400 deer. Hunters in Waupaca killed nearly 11,600 last year, second only to Marathon. The top four harvest counties in Wisconsin (and seven of the top 10) all have wolf packs.

17-Jun-15
Spoke with the town chairman The pack is confirmed at 6 and the locals are very upset that there is no legal way to control them. Many are demanding the State do something ti change this.

Dogs won't be left out, livestock is at risk, and what happens if someone's child is taken from their backyard. The area where the pack is located is not a remote area. There are a lot of families that live in this area with farms, and children.

Only time will tell what is going to happen.

The saga continues....

17-Jun-15
The map clearly shows the wolf isn't much of a threat to livestock and dogs. Very few issues over a huge geographic area. I am more concerned about the threat to the deer herd.

I suggest a black dot to represent, "Child Snatched From Yard". To be safe, I never let our kids out on full moon nights. Over the years I've notice most kids taken from back yards by wolves have been on full moon nights. Usually, never a trace... Nothing in the media about it, no one want to talk about it! BC

17-Jun-15
Yup, there were two reasons why they were almost exterminated once before. One was for profit selling the hides. The other is obvious.

17-Jun-15
Well Mike welcome to the world of living with wolves. Since it is raining today, I came to the library in Iron River, to see what was going on.........

I no of no incidents of wolves killing children. I think that hysteria is over the top. I have wolves around my place, they are having their litters now and keep to themselves, way off the beaten path......

As that herd grows, they will have a conflict with livestock, you only have to look at what goes on up here in the western UP, and NW Wis to know that......

Only special fed trappers can remove them, for any conflicts. Waupaca Co is a target rich zone for a wolf. lots of deer, and the wolves are going to go where the food is at.

Presently wolves have disease, in the Bergland area, as far as I can see it. Wolves are too many, they carry disease to each other of various sources, due to low food capacity, or they move out, and find food areas.

Look at Clark Co, prime example of wolves, going down and expanding range, for simple survival purposes.

Personally coyotes are going to do more damage on he deer herd than the wolves, but the wolves love livestock, so this winter you will see if that pack grows.

Lots of people and traffic down there, you will have to see if that herd expands.......

I have no problem with wolves in wild country, but with out trapping, there is little control. Hunting although it should be legal, will never control the herd.

good luck, and keep us posted.........

17-Jun-15
Razor, as of now, even fed trappers can't remove wolves. Only legal lethal control until delisting or "new order" is if imminent threat to a person.

17-Jun-15
Naz the way your map is graphed, it indicates that there are only 2 packs of wolves in each county. Seems very underestimated to me. Something does not give. There has to be more than that in the northern counties.

17-Jun-15
RutNut:

The other thing is that their count is continually off by at least 500. Probably closer to 1000.

From the article:

McFarland said the wolf population likely doubles when pups are born, but the mortality rate on pups is quite high, and about 25 percent of adult wolves die each year, too.

10 - "Naz the way your map is graphed, it indicates that there are only 2 packs of wolves in each county"

Where do you see any indicator of packs?

18-Jun-15
The shaded area needs to dip down to Columbia County. There is/was an established pack there.

18-Jun-15

Naz 's Link
Total of 208 known packs in this year's survey. Must be a lot of "3 to a pack" to make up for the ones with 7-10?

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/Wildlifehabitat/wolf/documents/2015OverWinterWolfEst.pdf

18-Jun-15
"The shaded area needs to dip down to Columbia County. There is/was an established pack there."

Yeah that map is pretty inaccurate. I know personally of more pet and hunting dog attacks than what they show. I also know for a fact that MUCH more of Chippewa county is inhabited.

18-Jun-15
Amoebus, I am taking the number of counties shown in the map, 31 and dividing that into the number of estimated wolves. Comes out to be about 24 per county. Seems low in the north.

18-Jun-15
Razor-

I have been living with wolves in Marathon county for years. honestly I have never had a problem with them, nor have they affected my hunting other than killing a bear hound about 5 years ago.

I have heard complaints about them and would like to take one by trapping or hunting for the wall. I have had "run-ins" with them in Canada where they are more plentiful and have not had any issues.

Do they take deer off the landscape, yes. Do they take live stock, yes. Fortunately they have not take a human life here in Wisconsin.

Do I like them, no, but I can live with them to a certain extent.

The kids will not be allowed to walk the dogs unsupervised and I will not allow the kids to wander as much as before until they get older.

The saga continues....

19-Jun-15
Packs can easily be in two or more counties, esp. when their range "circle" is at the corners of multiple counties .... they don't know borders and have a very wide range. You know how it is with bucks and "five miles" during the rut? Multiply that by 4-10 or more for wolves. They get around.

24-Jun-15
I am always baffled by the logic. It hasn't happened here, so it wont happen here. I just cannot grab on to this. Just like saying never got busted drunk driving in X county. So it wont happen. Or really any other ludicrious comparison you can make.

It can happen, and it will happen. To think wolves is WI will behave differently. Just because they are in WI, well you fill in that blank. Then when it does happen. Everything and anything is done to cover it up!!!

Just look at Land O Lakes last winter!!! She fell over dead, it was her dog, it was other dogs, it was sasquatch. Great big cover up on it. Betting most of you have not heard this!!!

Disease in Bergland? Best thing I have heard in a long time. What disease they have? Hope I can confirm this!!

What the heck is this contracted trackers thing? Never heard anything about until now. Would be great when I am sitting around in the winter with nothing to do.

24-Jun-15
Steve , in regards to Bergland, I was over there, and talking to some loggers, who witnessed the sick wolves,,,, regardless all animals can get sick, so what is the big deal.......... fact of nature,,,,,

for the most part, wolves will never be controlled,unless trapping is allowed and bounties....

hunting will not make a dent, but it sure won't hurt...

Wi DNR wolf management team, is no friend of the sportsmen, read the commentary in WON by Laurie Groskopf,,,,,,,

Other than natural movement, wolves should have never been brought back, but there here, and you have to deal with them....

as far as Land O lakes, yes I know what you are talking about.........

24-Jun-15
All the Sportsmen in the State owe Laurie Groskopf a heap of thanks and gratitude for the fight she's carried with the DNR on the wolf issue.

One issue was that the DNR only publicly shared predation of "hunting dogs" without a lot of digging you couldn't find the predation of cattle and other animal. Deceiving the public into thinking wolf predation was a non issue or minimal. She got that changed.

She's a great person to have on our side and not afraid to call BS what it is when dealing with the DNR and Government.

24-Jun-15
Droptine, it has to be 10 plus years now. I received an upland bird survey from the DNR on grouse hunting in Wisconsin. It had one question about grouse and 9 questions about my hunting dog and how much I spend each year, what it would cost to replaceā€¦talk about DNR B.S. I told them so in a letter back to them.

24-Jun-15
razor, how is the hand doing?

24-Jun-15
Can someone PM me and fill me in on the Land O Lakes deal?

24-Jun-15
Just go ahead and share the details please. I didn't hear of it either.

25-Jun-15

Naz 's Link
Here's something of wild dogs killing a woman in North Dakota, some still on scene and shot ..... any links to the Land O Lakes woman's death?

25-Jun-15

Drop Tine's Link
Is this it?

25-Jun-15
Presque Isle, Lando, Darn near all the same up there. Been yelled at a few times about not knowing the boundry line, LOL

Anyhue, yes DT's link is it. Complete hog wash in the story. I was not there to see it myself. Can only go by what trusted locals at the scene observed. Clothes torn means mauled. Might have been dog means it put itself back in house.

Original story was her dog pulled her down, causing her to have a heart attack and die. The dog chewed her up to free itself. Then it was she had heart attack, then wolves chewed on her after she was dead. A few other variations as well. That short story on channel 7 was all there was on it. Nothing on the local channel at all. Odd all the black suv's, and federal agents for a heart attack.

SHHHHHHH, it was natural causes. Just like the kid by Dultuh was a hybrid. Good luck finding anything on that. All been removed.

Stuff is always getting covered up. Few weeks ago someone or something in a vehcile. Pulled out in front of a semi about 2 miles from me at 70 and C. Now you know all that was in news and about it. NOBODY IS TALKING!!! Literally nobody knows nothing. All you will here is dont know. Again only new coverage was on channel 7 stating nothing more than a fatal crash. HMMMMM!!

Dont have to talk to very many people about wolves. Before hearing of confrontations with them. Testing the waters? Wolf approaches you, or follows you. Is getting to be a common occurrence. I have been followed out several times. Happened again last fall. Always fun times. Scary part is, you may only see one or two at most. How many buddies they got just waiting for the signal?

Last fall listened to a gal tell a story about an event that inspired her. Seen her first wolf while walking a logging trail. Thought it was the coolest thing and seemed so friendly. Approaching her in the trail. When it got about 50ft away she started yelling and waving her arms. It then turned and WALKED OFF! She thought it was so cool. I asked was tail up, or wagging. No, it was down kinda tucked. Was it hunching down acting submissive, or shy. No, standing tall and firm. YEP, sure sounds friendly to me!!

We can keep our heads in the sand all we want. Wont change a thing. It's just a matter of time before an attack that cannot be covered up!

29-Jun-15
There have been wolf and coyote attacks that haven't been covered up, mainly Alaska and Canada; what makes you think if it was a wolf it would be covered up in the U.S., and why? Are the coroners paid by HSUS? I know one who's an avid hunter who'd have no problem calling a predator kill what it is.

29-Jul-15

Jeff in MN's Link
Congress is trying to get wolf off the protected list via legislation. (and get wolf season back) No surprise there are wolf lovers trying to stop it.

30-Jul-15
Forgot about this thread and that comment. Will have me giggling all day. No cover ups, a knee slapper.

From what I have heard, not seen officialy yet. Then again dont watch tv, and in the field every day. But, MI has done it from what I understand. If so ours will follow soon.

Scrolling through this again. I see that a complete list of all depredations needs to be posted. Hard document to find. DNR,and wolf lovers prefer the masses see a map with just a few spots marked. See look, no problem.

Mind you, all depredations must be verified as such. You dang well know many are not verified. Finger pointed at something else. Or, cant find other evidence to support the attack. Could have been a pack of rabid fox. LOL. Delays in getting to the scene result in lost sign. One example was the attack on Hwy G outside eagle river. Man chased wolf getting it to drop his dog. By the time someone responded. It was couldnt be wolf there are no tracks. Well MR Dumass it has snowed since then! Vet stepped up and confirmed it was a wolf attack.

Then of course you go the ones that just dont get reported. For many reason.

30-Jul-15
Only reason they don't eat people for lunch every day is because of all the crap we eat makes us taste and smell bad.

30-Jul-15
If your waiting for Congress to do something, it might be awhile, they have a hard enough time, selecting their lunch menu..................

30-Jul-15
Well congress got it done out west so I'm hoping they get it done here too...

30-Jul-15
I think one wolf per county, just so we can occasionally hear one howl, would be sufficient enough of a population. Much more than that and they need to be dealt with.

30-Jul-15
South Farm +1. How about 1 wolf in every other county.....

30-Jul-15
How about billboards with pictures that howl as a car goes by??

19-Aug-15

Dampland's embedded Photo
you guys are all kooks. There are only a handful of wolves in the state, just like the DNR says.

The photos I get every year in Polk county are just of some wolves "passing thru" that live in Sawyer county most of the time. Well that is what the DNR tells me.

Weird that I get these wolf pictures all year round? Those Sawyer county wolves must "pass thru" a lot.

19-Aug-15

Naz 's Link
Who from the DNR tells you that? Their very own map has for years shown the northern sections of Polk County in wolf pack range (showed the home range of at least three packs already five years ago), and has had confirmed livestock and dog depredation there in recent years. There have also been legal harvests in Polk County during the past hunt/trap seasons.

19-Aug-15
Naz, the DNR pushes the ranging/roaming wolf thing a lot. Their new thing is to not blame predators but to tell people to "strengthen" their deer herd. As the predators will move on to a weaker herd. Someone needs to tell the Bobcats, bears, wolves, and coyotes that as they didn't get the memo.

19-Aug-15
That poor woman WAS killed by wolves. Story changed every 4 hours as stated.

Ive been followed out of the woods multiple times. The last few late seasons have been bad. Tracks in the snow show their movements matching mine. Walk past a trail cam and having a wolf minutes behind you is scary. I always carry while in the woods

19-Aug-15

east fork lodge's embedded Photo
east fork lodge's embedded Photo
More wolves and bears this year than bucks!

21-Aug-15

Naz,

about 5 years ago, one of the guys in my group sent my wolf trail camera pictures to a contact he has in the DNR. Their response was that "you do not have a local pack", but rather a pack that is based out of Sawyer county, and was just temporarily passing thru."

We scoffed at that analysis then, and we certainly so now, since we get wolves on camera every other week through out our property. They are certainly local.

• Sitka Gear