BOBHUNT71 30-Jun-15
ADIOSE 03-Jul-15
>>---CTCrow---> 03-Jul-15
NEV 03-Jul-15
Wayniac 06-Jul-15
hickstick 06-Jul-15
ADIOSE 06-Jul-15
15-Jun-15
Anyone been picked for the RWA special hunts? thank you to whoever let me know about this one. Been picked for North Branford. Seems like a very serious "cull" hunt operation.

15-Jun-15
Haven't heard yet, but a friend of mine got north Branford. I think they are sending emails in batches based on location.

16-Jun-15
Got my acceptance e-mail for Prospect

16-Jun-15
I haven't put in the last 2 yrs - but the first year there was crazy good. I managed to get in yr 3 and 5 as well....

Lots of opportunity for some good deer.. just be patient. It can seem crowded some days as well...

16-Jun-15
Im just not liking the NO afternoon hunt rule

16-Jun-15
Their property, their rules. I never was happy about having to be out at 1 pm, but I was happy to be on there - so landowner rule was fine with me.

It's all about safety there (and rightfully so, as they'd get it shut down fast if there is an incident).

16-Jun-15
Whole heartedly agree wayniac happy to go there as its only a minute from my house just that i start work at 6am so its only Sats and hopefully Sundays. I have seen some real bruisers crossing the road from their property.

16-Jun-15
I procrastinated and didn't get my paperwork back in by the 15th and seeing how excited some of you guys are, I'm kicking myself in the ass for not handling my business in a timely manner. Nobody's fault but my own.

16-Jun-15
I got N.Branford, first time for me.

16-Jun-15
I got in on Prospect property also onepin my 1st year so I have to do the shoot and meetings then some scouting there but I work a 2nd shift job so the morning hunts work good for me . Maybe we can meet up and scout there one day. Thanks to the person who posted the info to get in on this I hopefully will get a few more productive days in the field close to home .

16-Jun-15
Thanks guys!

Yes, this is my first time, so I have to qualify as well. Going on June 27th.

If you qualify with the compound, you automatically can use a crossbow as well! You need to get 4 - 6 shots in a 10 inch pie plate from 20 yards, so this is pretty easy qualification.

They do have many rules and regs, but I think it's all good stuff, since they are being overly cautious to avoid any bad press!

If you kill a doe, you are automatically in next years hunt! So this is a culling operation.

17-Jun-15
Bobhunt that sounds like a good plan I think i met u years ago. I sent u a PM rick

17-Jun-15
Im in again too for north Branford...... This is my 5 year. People have complained about lack of deer lately, there are just getting smarter..... Year 2 and 3 of the hunt was like shooting fish in a barrel..... First year was tough cuz it was way smaller. But it's always good to have acces to whatever land you can get. And as far as I kno it will be Sunday's too because it is considered private land. Don't think the test is a chip shot..... I have seen numerous people fail it sadly enough....... Think it has to do with the pressure of people watching or just passing a test. But good luck to all whose going!

18-Jun-15
RIP

what's on the test? I'm not in for the area but just wondering what they could ask or have you do that's so hard?

18-Jun-15
LOL, test is putting 4 of 6 arrows in a 10 inch circle.

18-Jun-15
sounds easy but with people pressure it sucks..i remember the first time i did an indoor shoot,30 guys standing there i hit a standing bear target in the head at 20 yrds..i felt so stupid..lol

18-Jun-15
Well, you shouldn't aim for the head.

18-Jun-15
i was aiming for the aligator 3 rows down.lol

18-Jun-15
LMAO!!!!! good one "notme".

18-Jun-15
So who else got in Prospect?

18-Jun-15
I got letter saying I wasn't picked in the lotto :-(

19-Jun-15
CT Crow is right, this is not going to be a piece of cake! I'm practicing every day, and 4 - 6 arrows in a 10 " plate at 20 yards is a challenge! Hey, I'm almost there now!

20-Jun-15
I really hope I don't sound like an ass saying this, but if you can't place all 6 arrows in a 10" circle of paper at 20 yards, what are you going to do when a nice buck walks up on your stand? I KNOW that will cause a lot more nerves than shooting paper, so keep up the practice until it becomes easy.

When I went to New Mexico for elk I practiced out to 60 yards until I could place 8 of 10 arrows in a 12" circle, the approx kill area of an elk. After I missed a huge bull elk at 33 yds due to nerves (damn they're huge) I went back to camp with the guide and shot arrow after arrow into his 24" x 24" block target all the way out to 60 yds. The guide made the comment "You should have never missed at bull, you hit what you aim at." Nerves is the best advantage the animal has for new shooters, so practice, practice, practice.

20-Jun-15
Practice shooting from the smallest ladder stand you can find about 15 ft up. It can b a little stressful just b/c of the situation. A lot different than shooting in your back yard. A fair test, I think.

20-Jun-15
Well don't practice and think it's a piece of cake...... Have at it. I don't really care...... I was just trying to give you a lik heads up. I don't have to take it or go to the meeting...... Already in and taken it. And yes your right it is a piece of cake but like I said, seen a lot of people fail it so have at it.

20-Jun-15
The first season I passed the test easily. My first 3 shots were dead center. The guy told me I didn't have to take a 4th shot. I ended up shooting a big doe that first year. That place was like a safari ... deer everywhere. The second season I failed the test. The week before the test I was adjusting the settings on my bow and wasn't shooting great. When it came time for the test I sunk the first 2 shots inside the pie plate. My third shot was on the line and the guy yelled back "no good". I was pissed! Then it became a head game. I put one more in the plate and missed the rest terribly. Not to mention that the ladder stand sucked and it felt so awkward shooting from it the way it was set up. I said screw it and never applied for the hunt again. My hunting buddy, Buckndoe is a legend at RWA. Passed the test easily everytime! He was known to ride his mountain bike with his treestand on his back to remote locations. I believe he has shot the biggest deer there to date. Matt, post a pic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20-Jun-15
I had to take a couple of the tests urban bow course and Wilton at home no problem but withh all the people around its a little tough but I still went 6 for 6

20-Jun-15
I would ride my mountain bike as well, thought I was the only one to think of something like that. Never got a deer when I rode in on the bike,....wonder what I do if I got one?

20-Jun-15
Wanted Bethany but got northbranford

24-Jun-15
Oh Boy I better get practicing, not too confident I can put 4 arrows in a 10" circle at 20 yds especially with people watching OH NO! Gonna be a tough one! Man they should make it so you only have to hit the target.

25-Jun-15
Hardcore there is no one like you! You are the best you told us many times . How are you at public speaking ? We know you rub everybody the wrong way . You don't go to Redding because there is no deer ,May be your not that good ? Do you ever read what you post ? Oh the best bow tech too ,like that's so hard when you can machine every part of the bow come and talk to me . Steve

25-Jun-15
Easy boys........ No reason to shit talk on here, or disrespect anyone...... We are all bow hunters here and each have our opinions. No reason to hurt people on here but help them might be a better step to take.

27-Jun-15
So how was the test? Everybody pass? I got North Branford and will be taking the test in July, anyone going then?

28-Jun-15

Straight Arrow's embedded Photo
Straight Arrow's embedded Photo
If you plan to qualify make sure your equipment is in good shape. They run a tight ship here, and I had issues with my drop away arrow rest. It was causing my arrows to drift and tearing up my fletch.

Had to go to Hiller's and get the bow adjusted and need a replacement arrow rest. Knew I was capable of better!

Good luck to all that have yet to qualify! Looks like I'll have to wait till next year. Only missed by an inch!

28-Jun-15
I have N.Branford and will be going the 18th also.

28-Jun-15

SILVERADO's embedded Photo
SILVERADO's embedded Photo
Just keep practicing

30-Jun-15
I passed easily thanks to my 5 year Olds support and coloring in my 2" bulls eye lol . Just need to go to a meeting now and scout a little in Prospect. Anyone else get that area . Someone gave some good advice about the stand practice at about 15 feet up on a ladder stand . I only hunt from a climber so there is a little foot adjustment to make in your stance but I think anyone comfortable with there equipment should have no problems. Sorry straight arrow good luck next year .

03-Jul-15
I've hunted N Branford 5 years and Prospect last year. At first, the property in NB had some nice deer, big does and Big bucks. I took a 125 8 point out of there 2nd year they ran it. The "shoot a doe get in next year policy" is killing it down there now. 8 years of that and the population is scarce. Everything is 100 lbs or less. Later Nov some bigger bucks will cruise through but most guys stink to high heaven and can't sit still from 5am til 1pm...it's become hunting on state land. Prospect has some big deer, but they scoot across the road to the other RWA property you don't have access to. Everything I saw was 100 lbs or less, small skippers, spike and a 4 pt. A guy took an 8 out of there, sadly about as big as your hand with points the size of your pinky. He wasn't too proud of it but it counted. It's disappointing that RWA couldn't manage their land better a charge top dollar for trophy hunting!!! Instead it's a "wipe 'em out attitude". Oh, and Sunday will NOT be allowed. Their rules. And they reserve it for the woodcutters. Good Luck.

03-Jul-15
They can always choose to close it to hunting.

03-Jul-15
RWA was never ment to be anything other then a deer reduction to bring back the flora and fawna that years of over browsing damaged. Still alot of deer on the property. I chose it again this year because of the deer I saw last year. When shotgun starts on the private all around the property it gets better. It's been light on acorns the past few years. Looking forward to seeing if this is a bumper crop year.

06-Jul-15
The 2nd year there (I believe) was the real bad winter after the season, where they had over 100 roadkills near the Big Y.. that put a substantial dent in the population, as well as the deer that had been taken out due to officially allowing that land to be hunted.

That was several years ago, and I thought there'd be a rebound, but we have had several tough winters since... a bumper acorn crop would help for sure.

06-Jul-15
for those worried about nerves/buck fever/target panic etc...try doing some push ups, burpees, run around for a few minutes, something that really gets your heart rate up quickly. then grab your bow, pick your spot and draw....focus on controlling your breath, try to slow your heart rate, really focus on it...then shoot. it takes practice, but when that time comes, it'll help.

06-Jul-15
I apologize, I hunted Ansonia/Seymour last year not Prospect. The Prospect piece is new this year. I understand it is close to some state land.

• Sitka Gear