SixLomaz 08-Jul-15
CTCrow 08-Jul-15
SixLomaz 08-Jul-15
CTCrow 08-Jul-15
SixLomaz 08-Jul-15
notme 08-Jul-15
CTCrow 09-Jul-15
20-Jun-15
Hey guys, I want to try bow hunting some public land. I have always hunted private land but have found that the 1 place I have seems to get over hunted by the Rut and I was hoping to lessen the pressure by mixing in some state land hunts but I don't know what I need for permits, lottery etc.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ry

20-Jun-15
Ryan

I don't think there are any secrets when it comes to hunting state land other than hard work. I always suggest that you start with an area near home, some place where you can do a lot of scouting. Get a map of the area and then drive around the perimeter to see what borders the area you're hunting. Is it a game refuge, agriculture, private home, etc?

Study the topo of the area for likely saddles or funnels and then hit the woods. My experience hunting state land is that MOST of the guys hunt areas near the roads, parking area or just off trails, try to find a back door where you can let them push the deer your way.

Good luck.

20-Jun-15
Read the regulations, which also list available state land parcels.

06-Jul-15
Ryan, where are you located? I hunt state land. It gets a lot of pressure during the rut too. In fact it gets a lot all year long. I've been fortunate enough to find a spot where few hunters go, but that is more of the exception than the rule on State land.

BBB has it right, go onto the DEEP site, find a place near you get a map and scout it. Many have satellite views that will help (especially if you can find one taken in the late fall) It took me 4 years to find the spot I'm in now, but it paid off last year with a nice buck. The easy to get too spots will be loaded with other hunters. I've seen 5 stands in a 100 yrd radius. Find a good spot off of the beaten path. It might take you longer to access, but you will filter out the guys that are trying to get in a quick bit of hunting before or after work.

Make sure you secure any equipment you are going to leave in the woods (stand, climbing sticks etc) or it will be gone in a heartbeat. (I packed my stuff in and out for a few years but it was too much).

Keep in mind that you cannot use screw in steps or a climber that will mare the tree.

Good luck out there.

06-Jul-15
Hunt state land first and when all other seasons open, hunt your privates.

07-Jul-15
I've been looking for my privates that last few years, no idea where they went!! There was a time when my privates would find me,..........those days are gone :(

Sounds like a lot of guys leave their stands in the woods on state land?? Really ? I'm 64 now and I've always carried my stand plus pack in and out for every hunt. I'm not Hercules, so you young guys shouldn't have a problem.

Gotta go back and look for my privates now.

07-Jul-15
HEY!!!

It is a lot easier to bring the stand and pack in and out when you don't have to drag any deer out ain't it?

07-Jul-15
The problem as I see it is when your young and have your privates you rely to much on those said privates and don't develop any of your grey matter and then when you get old and cant find your privates, you begin to develop your grey matter

07-Jul-15
CTCrow

one deer in 16 yrs and I didn't have to drag him out. Just so happened that I decided to help a stranger learn how to hunt, a young, strong hunter, and he was nice enough to do most of the dragging!!

So I guess longbeard was right, the older you get the wiser you get,....or it just damn lucky.

Starting to get itchy to get out in the woods again. Gotta start practicing so I don't miss the bigger buck that scared the one I got last year off the doe. Then I'll change my handle to "BiggerBuckBob" :)

07-Jul-15
grey matter went down the tubes a long time ago..now if i could just stop peein on my foot ill be ok..lol

07-Jul-15
The problem I found packing my stand in and out were two-fold. One, I am using climbing sticks and it was difficult getting the combination of the stand and the sticks to be quiet. Plus they would stick up over my head and get caught on branches. Secondly, I was sweating too much. So I compromised my scent control and ended up getting cold in the process. Since I found a spot were few other hunters were using, I took the chance on leaving them in (locked with cable of course). I only saw two other hunters in the area all season. Also, I am using relatively inexpensive strap-on stands, so if one does get taken it is not the end of the world.

08-Jul-15

SixLomaz's Link
Solution found by human ingenuity. If you own a 2 piece climber made by Summit, Ol'Man, and API this can be your ticket to an enjoyable hunt trip. I am positive this idea can be adapted to other tree stand brands.

See the attached YouTube link for a demo and visit their website at http://sherpahunting.com/ .

08-Jul-15
Garbanzo,

that is exactly my though. I'm a heavy (nice way to say really fat) man and if I want to bring my stand in and out, I have to leave yesterday to be there on time and not breake a sweat.

08-Jul-15
@CTCrow: Are trying to tell us that it is not safe/recommended to eat too much venison meat?

08-Jul-15
No six, it was the veggies that did it.

08-Jul-15
@CTCrow: Rice and Beans!? I have the same issue. Too much, too fast carbohydrates intake. Stay away from any red and orange colored veggies as they have a higher glycemic index (meaning they turn into sugar faster than the body can process) - http://www.glycemicedge.com/glycemic-index-chart/

08-Jul-15
drink beer and eat beaver..less filling and taste great!

09-Jul-15
I don't drink beer.

... ok, I do.

• Sitka Gear