oldhunter 25-Jun-15
Jeff in MN 25-Jun-15
happygolucky 25-Jun-15
10orbetter 25-Jun-15
HunterR 26-Jun-15
Bloodtrail 26-Jun-15
RutNut@work 27-Jun-15
24-Jun-15
MADISON – A white-tailed deer from a breeding farm in Eau Claire County has tested positive for chronic wasting disease (CWD), Wisconsin State Veterinarian Dr. Paul McGraw announced today. The National Veterinary Services Laboratory in Ames, Iowa, confirmed the test results.

The 7-year-old Eau Claire County doe, which died on the farm, was one of about 167 deer reported to be on the 12 acre farm, according to the farm’s March 2015 registration.

Samples were taken from the doe on June 8 in accordance with Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection’s (DATCP’s) rules, which require testing of farm-raised deer and elk when they die or are killed.

McGraw quarantined the Eau Claire County herd, which stops movement of live deer from the property, except to slaughter. Disposition of the remaining deer will depend upon the outcome of the investigation. The DATCP Animal Health Division’s investigation will also examine the animal’s history and trace movements of deer onto and off the property to determine whether other herds may have been exposed to the CWD test- positive deer.

24-Jun-15
And, we continue to allow the domestication of whitetail deer for what reason? Certainly not good of the sportsmen.

24-Jun-15
As a precaution they should ban baiting/feeding in every bordering county;)

24-Jun-15
Rut

I am sure they will let us know where the disease was found and let us know what counties are going to be included in the baiting ban.

"Per Deer Trustee Report implementation, the CWD management zone has transitioned to CWD affected counties. These boundaries match the counties that are prohibited from baiting and feeding. A county is included if a wild or captive animal has been tested and confirmed to be positive for CWD in the county or portion of the county is within a 10-mile radius of a wild or captive animal that has been tested and confirmed to be positive for CWD."

I wonder if the farm is close to Buffalo County??

25-Jun-15
I live and hunt in Chippewa county, baiting on public land is a huge problem here. So although I am not pleased to see CWD this close, there is a silver lining.

25-Jun-15
They should open the gun season Sept 15th and run it to March 31, 4 free over the counter tags a day and open the dump sites to drop off the deer for Eau Claire and the surrounding counties. Oh yeah!...and a baiting ban!

I get a kick out of people who did not get to experience the CWD eradication zone thinking the disease's benefit is no baiting. Personally, I think every new CWD county should experience a eradication effort. Then let's see how big of a deal legally placed bait is to you.

IMO...if the original "ground zero" was Buffalo Cty, the eradication attempt would have been very short lived.

25-Jun-15
I will tell it like I see it. I don't think the powers to be should concentrate on banning baiting/feeding, they should concentrate on banning game farms. Like that will happen, to much big money. They need to put tighter restrictions in place and include a more stringent monitoring policy of all game farm operations. Only then will the Wi DNR get a grip on the spread of CWD. Thats my two cents worth and sticking to it.

25-Jun-15
167 deer on 12 acres? I know it is a farm but that seems like a lot. Any bets that there are several more deer on that farm that are positive? An elk farm near me that had a positive elk had several more that tested positive when the state (MN) bought out the whole herd.

It was one very old wild doe near that farm that caused that area to have a deer slaughter that winter followed by basically unlimited tags and a 16 day gun season for about 4 years that did not turn up another wild CWD deer even though every adult deer shot was tested. Wild deer could be observed inside the elk farm fence on numerous occasions.

25-Jun-15
IMO, it's too late on the banning of deer farms. CWD is here forever and it is expanding every year. It is just a matter of time before it is in every county.

"IMO...if the original "ground zero" was Buffalo Cty, the eradication attempt would have been very short lived."

I totally agree with that.

25-Jun-15
It's never too late for anything.

26-Jun-15
"They should open the gun season Sept 15th and run it to March 31, 4 free over the counter tags a day and open the dump sites to drop off the deer for Eau Claire and the surrounding counties. Oh yeah!...and a baiting ban!

I get a kick out of people who did not get to experience the CWD eradication zone thinking the disease's benefit is no baiting. Personally, I think every new CWD county should experience a eradication effort. Then let's see how big of a deal legally placed bait is to you.

IMO...if the original "ground zero" was Buffalo Cty, the eradication attempt would have been very short lived."

+1

26-Jun-15
Rutnut - Call your warden!

27-Jun-15
I should re-phrase my above post. I actually have no problem with the guys/gals that bait legally. It's the illegal activity that is a problem up here. We have a lot of smaller public areas in this county. There is a LOT of claiming areas by baiters on these 40 to 500 acre spots.

• Sitka Gear