Messer 20-Jul-15
Treefarm 20-Jul-15
Screwball 20-Jul-15
Steve White 25-Jul-15
Redclub 26-Jul-15
Steve White 29-Jul-15
27-Jun-15

Treefarm's Link
Just a reminder to try my method of relief from deer flies (tabanidae family) this time of year. It works unbelievably super awesome! I wear my hard hat and come in with a sound of buzzing with all the stuck flies! Give it a try, you'll be amazed.

27-Jun-15
Looks like an interesting set-up. Does that stuff wash off easy for clean-up?

I've always used vanilla extract and pinned a dryer sheet to my hat.

27-Jun-15

Treefarm's embedded Photo
Treefarm's embedded Photo
It is not water soluble so care must be used. Just got in from pruning and had a hat FULL of deer flies and even a horse fly. Never am tormented by them buzzing around my scalp because they just get caught!

27-Jun-15
If it is not water soluble do you have to scrape it off everytime with something and then reapply?

The deer flies only bug me when I forget to wear a baseball cap, when i wear a cap they don't get in my hair or bite me.

Does your method help reduce the population or maybe you don't like baseball caps?

27-Jun-15
Just came in from a day of cutting trails, all bit up.

27-Jun-15
I lightly scrape to a paper towel and only reapply as needed. With me, I hate the buzzing and dive bombing. Sanity I guess. Deer fly population seems to diminish.

27-Jun-15

smokey's Link
Works great but messy. I use these for the same results and a lighter weight with a ball cap.

27-Jun-15
Makes deer envious. If the tabanidae drive me crazy, imagine deer and other mammal by mid-July. The patches would work great for necks of dogs when walking them.

I killed thousands of deer flies today. I started trolling for them using my ATV. Absolutely nuts!! The deer flies are kamikaze in their attack of blue. You would chuckle if you saw how it works. You hold the helmet out in front over the handle bars and they dive straight at the surface...nuts.

20-Jul-15
Hi Treefarm. I agree this works great, started using last year after seeing your post. However, I can not find this stuff anymore and am now out. Kids yell at me to get the "blue hat of doom" but its pretty well coated with dead flies. I tried the tree tanglefoot stuff, but it does not work as well and has an odor. Any idea where to buy this? sounds like there may be a manufacturing issue. Thanks, Pat

20-Jul-15
Fortunately I bought extra the last time. Not sure about where to get it now, try Bachmans or similar if web search comes empty. Correct, the tree barrier type doesn't work. Gotta admit, the hat works wonders...I catch thousands and they don't drive me insane.

20-Jul-15
We have used the old fly strips from barns. You can still buy them. cut off a 3-4 inch piece stick it on the back of you hat all set. been using this forever.

25-Jul-15
Last several days we have had a major hatch. Nothing has worked. Just to many of them. have never seen them this bad. just crazy!!

26-Jul-15
They are bad, ATV no help diesel tractor is OK I need to try that

29-Jul-15
Tried to run a dog into the race today. As we jogged 3/4 mile down a trail. Hard to actually count, but lets just say it was getting hard to see dog 5ft in front of me they were so thick. Dont dare stop in these spots. Just get swarmed. Worst I have ever seen it!!!

• Sitka Gear